bump
  • kimeister
    kimeister Posts: 212
    Options
    bump
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,359 Member
    Options

NOTE: activity level isn't as mysterious as it sounds. If you have a desk job, and do very little walking throughout the day and don't really perform any sports or physical activities, then you are sedentary, if you do some walking every day (or at least 4 days a week) or other light activity for at least 30 minutes cumulative at least 4 times a week, you are lightly active. If you do 60 minutes of light activity 5 days a week or do some kind of sport that requires walking or light jogging (say swimming or mailman or warehouse employee) then you are active, If you do a physically demanding activity (one that makes you sweat) for 4 days a week or more and for more than 1 hour a day, you are very active (like a coach that runs drills or you play volleyball). When in doubt, go down 1 level, you'd rather burn more than you think than less.

With all these numbers you can generate your BMI. Now I realize BMI is flawed, but for what we're doing it's good enough. After years on here, and doing lots and lots of research, I've been able to associate general BMI ranges with approximate goal levels. This works for about 80 to 85% of people out there (there's always a few that are outside the curve).

So now we can figure out where your goal should be.
    Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

With this quick guide you can figure out your goal rather easily. I know many people will say "I can't eat my exercise calories, I gain weight when I do". Well I have news for you, that's not correct. I submit this, if you eat your exercise calories and gain weight 1 of 3 things happened:
    1 you were previously in starvation mode, and you upped your calories, and had an immediate weight gain, that's normal, to be expected, and necessary to get your body on track. Give it a month, that will stop, and you, once again, will begin to lose, but this time, in a healthy manner.
    2 you incorrectly calculated something, either your exercise calories, your calorie intake, or you put in to large of a goal. Go back and check all your numbers.
    3 you haven't given it enough time to work. This site promotes HEALTHY weight loss people. Healthy weight loss doesn't happen in days or weeks, it takes months and years. Each change you make in how you eat needs a month or more to work, be patient, give it time. It will happen.

And to everyone who has a trainer that doesn't agree with eating your exercise calories. I also submit this: In 90% of the cases (and I have talked to a LOT of trainers about this exact topic) they actually DO agree with this method, you just explained it wrong.
    Just saying to a trainer "should I eat my exercise calories?" isn't enough, you have to explain to them that MFP already generates a deficit prior to any exercise, therefore the deficit will remain whether you exercise or not. Once you give them that idea, and you are relatively sure they understand the concept then I'll bet they change their tune.

I hope this helps, it's pretty straight forward if you've been here a while, and to you new guys, I recommend going to the message boards link, clicking on the "general diet and weight loss" area, and clicking on those first few posts that have the little mouse trap next to them, they are sticky and will always be there, and are a wealth of knowledge about this site, exercise calories, starvation mode...etc.

regards,

-Banks

Hello Banks,

So my BMI is still over 50 and my question is when you say, "Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit, does this mean deficit from ????. Right now I have been trying to keep my net calories between 1200 and 1500, but I know at my size it will not hurt me one bit to keep my calories between 800 and 1200. This is correct right because I still have plenty of stored fat, right.

Mollie
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Hello Banks,

So my BMI is still over 50 and my question is when you say, "Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit, does this mean deficit from ????. Right now I have been trying to keep my net calories between 1200 and 1500, but I know at my size it will not hurt me one bit to keep my calories between 800 and 1200. This is correct right because I still have plenty of stored fat, right.

Mollie

Hi Mollie,

the short answer is probably. The long answer is, I really can't tell you anything for sure because I don't know your numbers. If you want to be more specific, you can PM me and send me all your information (height, weight, age, activity level, exercise, access to your food diary, any medical conditions, anything else you think might be relevant) I can review it all and come up with a more specific answer for you. Please keep in mind that while I've done a LOT of research on this topic, I'm not a Registered dietitian nor am I a medical doctor, so any advice I give is strictly speaking amateur. that being said, I'm sure I could help you to move towards a more healthy life.
    :smile:

-SHBoss1673
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,359 Member
    Options

Hello Banks,

Mollie

Hi Mollie,

the short answer is probably. The long answer is, I really can't tell you anything for sure because I don't know your numbers. If you want to be more specific, you can PM me and send me all your information (height, weight, age, activity level, exercise, access to your food diary, any medical conditions, anything else you think might be relevant) I can review it all and come up with a more specific answer for you. Please keep in mind that while I've done a LOT of research on this topic, I'm not a Registered dietitian nor am I a medical doctor, so any advice I give is strictly speaking amateur. that being said, I'm sure I could help you to move towards a more healthy life.
    :smile:

-SHBoss1673

Thanks! I will do that later this evening. I am at work now, but my diary is public. If I have time I will do it before I leave work and I know you are not a registered dietitian but I like you knowledge and it always makes sense the way you break it down. So I appreciate any perspective you may have. Thanks again!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Oooooooo, super handy.

Thats been a big help - thanks.
  • jabaa91
    jabaa91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    thank you this was really helpful, i wont feel guilty for eating my exercise calories in future haha :)
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Bump- bump- bump :)
  • ktmaxwell101
    Options
    wooowie
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jackiekjames
    Options
    bump
  • vlaura
    vlaura Posts: 93
    Options
    bump and thanks :smile:
  • jessie580
    jessie580 Posts: 87
    Options
    for future reference

thank you!

I have to explain to some people why eating their exercise calories is a GOOD thing, but they never get it :\
    I will refer them to THIS POST!

:)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    for future reference

thank you!

I have to explain to some people why eating their exercise calories is a GOOD thing, but they never get it :\
    I will refer them to THIS POST!

:)

You're very welcome jessie, it's my pleasure.
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo!!!
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    BUmp