How do *you* log a holiday meal?

Options
1235»

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    plm209 wrote: »
    Workout in the morning before the festivities begin and then just enjoy the day. Take a SWAG at the calories and then take a nap on the couch.

This is what I do. Same thing I do when I go on a cruise for vacation: make an honest effort to be accurate, but don't worry too much about being exact. You're eating in an abnormal situation. You're not going to be eating like this on a regular basis.
  • RetiredNavy_CT
    RetiredNavy_CT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I won't log, it's considered a reward for my hard work.
  • KeeRae1989
    KeeRae1989 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It is not the holidays that get you- it is what you do between the holidays that dictates how you fit into your britches.

This.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to worry about the day. I will, however, plan on being pretty disciplined every other day of that week and the week after.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't. It's one day. I may do a double the day before and a double the day after but for that actual day it's a non-issue. There's no way I'll be able to log or track every ingredient so I won't bother stressing myself out trying to figure it out. Enjoy the day dear. :smile: \o/
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    So far, I've always cooked both Thanksgiving & Christmas meals & we eat the same things every year, so I already have recipes loaded in MFP. The family potlucks also tend to be the same with people bringing their normal specialties (we are SO traditional!). I log as close as possible to what I eat but I don't worry too much about the total (unless it's getting really, really bad toward the end of the day, then I stop eating!). I also do a work out in the morning to make myself feel better & for consistency purposes. It all makes me feel good so I just keep doing what I normally do. To each their own to do what works best for the individual.
  • chele402
    chele402 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Probably just going to guesstimate so I can have an idea of how to recover the extra calories over the next week. It's just one day, but I'd like to continue to be healthy.
  • sparkynazca
    sparkynazca Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'll guess at the portions on everything, and record it as exactly as possible... but not until after I've gone home.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    On holidays and other special gatherings, I visually judge calories. Over the last year, I have done this 6 or 7 times and it has worked great with no weight gain. There are examples at:

http://caloriecount.about.com/article/when_you_cant_measure_estimate_portions

As you weigh and measure food over several months, you will find it easier to approximate calories. I know exactly what 4 ounces of most meats / fish looks like, but still avoid rich desserts. Good luck!

It really depends how complex the meal becomes, as to whether I individually log items or make a meal category and track a lump total.

I have read "The average American will consume more than 4,500 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving Day alone, according to the Calorie Control Council." and never come close to that number.
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I actually was thinking about thanksgiving dinner during my run today. I figure, work hard now cuz I fully expect to gain that week, or at least not lose. The leftovers WILL be eaten. It won't be one meal, it will prob be for 3 days. I actually was thinking that my grandmother is probably going to be -very- baffled to see me 65 lbs lighter and stuffing my face the way I plan...