If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I think you have to learn that over time by listening to your body. I used to eat all that junk, but gradually I learned that I feel better if I don't eat it (even though it's delicious!) so it makes it easier for me to say no. I very clearly remember the moment when I realized I should no longer eat donuts. I had one very greasy one, and I had indigestion for like 6 hours afterwards. It's just not worth it anymore.

I had a similar experience with alcohol in college. One night I got smashed and of course was miserably nauseous (not for the first time, but this was the night it sunk in). I decided never to drink like that again, and since that time I've never deliberately gotten drunk to the point of being sick - maybe a few times on accident, but only a handful over the next 20 years.

These days I genuinely prefer to eat healthy foods (even though I still enjoy the taste of junk sometimes). I don't like the greasy skin and bloating from salty, greasy fried foods. I don't like the sugar rush and inevitable crash of cheap sugary foods. I don't like feeling uncomfortably full. Over the years I've changed what I eat a little bit at a time, mostly by monitoring how I feel afterwards. I've also learned to stop BEFORE full. This weekend I made homemade waffles, which were delicious, but after 3/4 of mine, I was full, so I stopped eating. A year ago I might have eaten it all and felt sick after.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Sometimes, it's not all about what you can see. Being buff, skinny, fit, obese, chubby doesn't matter. It's about what's happening on the inside of your body that you can't see. Hubby was 140lbs and 5'7" when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. Who knew! Kids are going into emergency rooms getting diagnosed with type 2 but look otherwise perfectly healthy!

Good luck in your ventures, guys! I wish you all the best and I hope the OP will have a chance to read what has been said and try it for himself, if he is truly seeking understanding and health improvement. :):heart:

That's called *kitten* happens. One of the healthiest guys I've known in my life was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was an avid cyclist, big into local produce and health before it became "cool" to buy organic, never smoked, never drank, and yet he died around the age of 50. No matter what you eat or don't eat, there are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is enjoy yourself and try to minimize your risk of illness.

But you're delusional if you think you'll be immune from cancer, diabetes and the like just because you avoid processed foods and gluten. Then again though, some people need to delude themselves because the reality is a bit too harsh, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

People judge but don't want to be judged..

I did not say I think this will make us immune from cancer and disease but what I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases, if you refrain from junk food and feed your body what it should have.

If you knew me personally, you would know that I have had my fair share and then some of loss and reality. Those who can see my heart (thank you for the messages) are what keeps me going. It's not discouraging at all to receive such backlash, it empowers me to go out and learn more in hopes that one day, the world might be a healthier and happier place for us.

For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

Ok, now I'm really done, lol. Have a good day!!

While wikipedia is not the best source to cite, no-one has said that macronutrients are all that matter.

Going to post one of my favorite quotes - from an actual

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food! - Eric Helms"

There are very few foods that actively are bad for you, medical conditions aside, and in reasonable doses.

Also, please do go out and learn more.

From what I get from her post is that macronutrients isn't everything. There is a very good case to be made from micronutrient dense food intake. Not from a weight/calorie count standpoint but from a health standpoint. If your statement above includes both macro and micro, you two are agreeing more than disagreeing.

My point was, no-one said it was. I am not agreeing with her at all however on most of her points. She seems to think that non-nutrient foods are toxic or something. They are not. She also seems to think that fast food has no nutrients at all - which is ludicrous.

I only read her last quote that seems to summarize her point.

1) I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases

You agree or disagree?

2) For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

You agree or disagree?

I didn't read the wiki but I tend to agree with both of her statements. In a general sense.

I'm not sure if she is saying junk foods are toxic or not vs them being very micronutrient lacking. And there is probably a bunch of ingredients in various junk foods that aren't particularly great for you but that is merely my opinion. And I'll quantify that by stating that the amount of junk food intake would have to be pretty high and often to make a difference.

Try reading the rest of her posts, then get back to us!

Why not try to find common ground vs trying to be combative all the time? what exactly do you disagree with from her summarizations?

I'd disagree that it's a fair summarization of what else she's said in this thread. We've gone from KFC is addictive, KFC chicken isn't even chicken, and, even more shocking, KFC is "better tasting than other forms of chicken" (I'm still in disbelief anyone actually thinks KFC is good, much less better than all other chicken)... to "nutrients are important." Of course no one disagree nutrients are important - but I'd certainly disagree that accurately summarizes all the other nonsense in this thread.

True, honestly. How can one say that chicken isn't chicken? And to say it's addictive simply because it comes from KFC is just ridiculous. Listen to the argument rather than just thinking of your own next rebuttal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I don't know... this guy thinks it's addictive...

4455eac4b724fc2c878d56b8eb620d15.jpg
  • mccindy72
    Options
    6d92a6be93fd2ef189443a382295ed74af8838f37dd8c4de453fb70bd4f46aa4.jpg
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, it's not all about what you can see. Being buff, skinny, fit, obese, chubby doesn't matter. It's about what's happening on the inside of your body that you can't see. Hubby was 140lbs and 5'7" when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. Who knew! Kids are going into emergency rooms getting diagnosed with type 2 but look otherwise perfectly healthy!

Good luck in your ventures, guys! I wish you all the best and I hope the OP will have a chance to read what has been said and try it for himself, if he is truly seeking understanding and health improvement. :):heart:

That's called *kitten* happens. One of the healthiest guys I've known in my life was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was an avid cyclist, big into local produce and health before it became "cool" to buy organic, never smoked, never drank, and yet he died around the age of 50. No matter what you eat or don't eat, there are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is enjoy yourself and try to minimize your risk of illness.

But you're delusional if you think you'll be immune from cancer, diabetes and the like just because you avoid processed foods and gluten. Then again though, some people need to delude themselves because the reality is a bit too harsh, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

I did not say I think this will make us immune from cancer and disease but what I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases, if you refrain from junk food and feed your body what it should have.

If you knew me personally, you would know that I have had my fair share and then some of loss and reality. Those who can see my heart (thank you for the messages) are what keeps me going. It's not discouraging at all to receive such backlash, it empowers me to go out and learn more in hopes that one day, the world might be a healthier and happier place for us.

For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

While wikipedia is not the best source to cite, no-one has said that macronutrients are all that matter.

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food! - Eric Helms"

There are very few foods that actively are bad for you, medical conditions aside, and in reasonable doses.

From what I get from her post is that macronutrients isn't everything. There is a very good case to be made from micronutrient dense food intake. Not from a weight/calorie count standpoint but from a health standpoint. If your statement above includes both macro and micro, you two are agreeing more than disagreeing.

My point was, no-one said it was. I am not agreeing with her at all however on most of her points. She seems to think that non-nutrient foods are toxic or something. They are not. She also seems to think that fast food has no nutrients at all - which is ludicrous.

1) I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases

You agree or disagree?

2) For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

You agree or disagree?

I didn't read the wiki but I tend to agree with both of her statements. In a general sense.

I'm not sure if she is saying junk foods are toxic or not vs them being very micronutrient lacking. And there is probably a bunch of ingredients in various junk foods that aren't particularly great for you but that is merely my opinion. And I'll quantify that by stating that the amount of junk food intake would have to be pretty high and often to make a difference.

Why not try to find common ground vs trying to be combative all the time? what exactly do you disagree with from her summarizations?

I'd disagree that it's a fair summarization of what else she's said in this thread. We've gone from KFC is addictive, KFC chicken isn't even chicken, and, even more shocking, KFC is "better tasting than other forms of chicken" (I'm still in disbelief anyone actually thinks KFC is good, much less better than all other chicken)... to "nutrients are important." Of course no one disagree nutrients are important - but I'd certainly disagree that accurately summarizes all the other nonsense in this thread.

I would just say, I agree with those two statements in general but the rest of your jibber jabber doesn't make sense to me
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

Here's the thing about moderation, though. It's possible to eat fast food and to also feed your body 100% of the nutrients that it should have. This isn't always an either/or scenario.

I do not believe the term moderation has been grasped yet. Last I looked the term "daily" was being used.
    "Moderation" is a lot like "clean". Everyone uses it differently, so the meaning varies depending on who is speaking. Small treats daily? Large treats daily? A weekly cheat meal? A weekly cheat day? A piece of cake every two or three months? All different takes on "moderation." And there are so many more.

"Clean" and "moderation" really have no consistent usages.

Also, some people don't want to eat a moderate amount of food that is bad for them. They want to eat only foods that are good for them.

There is nothing wrong with eating healthy! It's a great goal and certainly not one to discourage, IMO.

What people are saying is that it doesn't really work that way. Foods aren't "good" for you and "bad" for you - they're just food that has certain nutritional characteristics. A lot of people would say broccoli is "healthy" but if you eat nothing but broccoli, you'll wither away and die. Likewise, people might say a sugary candy is "bad" or "unhealthy", but a sugary candy may be one of the few foods that will help get you through a race or other strenuous physical activity. Moderation simply means eating foods in such a way that they do not sabotage the overall desired make-up of your diet, which includes both macro and micronutrients. Getting concerned about specific food choices being "healthy" and "healthy" is just losing sight of the forest for the trees. It's your overall diet that needs to be "healthy", not your specific food choices.
    My point is that everyone uses the word "moderation" to mean different things. Plus, people have different ideas of how much constitutes a moderate amount. It doesn't mean anything, really.

I disagree that all food is equal. I understand that some people view it that way and that works for them. I have to view it as "good for me" and "bad for me" or I'd pick the "bad for me" foods all day, every day. I'm trying to make a more healthy diet all the time. But I don't want to have a big fight about it. If you believe that all food is equal and that works for you, then I'm happy for you! Honestly. :)

I don't personally care who eats what, either. It makes absolutely no difference to me at all. Everyone has to do what works for them. :)

I'm just growing weary of the words "clean" and "moderation" and wish everyone could settle on meanings for these words that are repeated thousands of times here.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Food is food. Each contains x amount of calories, macronutrients and micronutrients. How you consume them defines your weight and health. Assigning "good" or "bad" labels is just a dumbed down way of categorizing foods for those that don't want to put the legwork into researching.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Here's the thing about moderation, though. It's possible to eat fast food and to also feed your body 100% of the nutrients that it should have. This isn't always an either/or scenario.

I do not believe the term moderation has been grasped yet. Last I looked the term "daily" was being used.
    "Moderation" is a lot like "clean". Everyone uses it differently, so the meaning varies depending on who is speaking. Small treats daily? Large treats daily? A weekly cheat meal? A weekly cheat day? A piece of cake every two or three months? All different takes on "moderation." And there are so many more.

Also, some people don't want to eat a moderate amount of food that is bad for them. They want to eat only foods that are good for them.

There is nothing wrong with eating healthy! It's a great goal and certainly not one to discourage, IMO.

What people are saying is that it doesn't really work that way. Foods aren't "good" for you and "bad" for you - they're just food that has certain nutritional characteristics. A lot of people would say broccoli is "healthy" but if you eat nothing but broccoli, you'll wither away and die. Likewise, people might say a sugary candy is "bad" or "unhealthy", but a sugary candy may be one of the few foods that will help get you through a race or other strenuous physical activity. Moderation simply means eating foods in such a way that they do not sabotage the overall desired make-up of your diet, which includes both macro and micronutrients. Getting concerned about specific food choices being "healthy" and "healthy" is just losing sight of the forest for the trees. It's your overall diet that needs to be "healthy", not your specific food choices.

The hell you say!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

My point is that everyone uses the word "moderation" to mean different things. Plus, people have different ideas of how much constitutes a moderate amount. It doesn't mean anything, really.

I disagree that all food is equal. I understand that some people view it that way and that works for them. I have to view it as "good for me" and "bad for me" or I'd pick the "bad for me" foods all day, every day. I'm trying to make a more healthy diet all the time. But I don't want to have a big fight about it. If you believe that all food is equal and that works for you, then I'm happy for you! Honestly. :)

I don't personally care who eats what, either. It makes absolutely no difference to me at all. Everyone has to do what works for them. :)

I'm just growing weary of the words "clean" and "moderation" and wish everyone could settle on meanings for these words that are repeated thousands of times here.
    I see you picked up this ridiculous point from another poster on another thread and keep running with it.
    The use of the two words are not comparable in imprecision. Clean is used out of context of its actual meaning and is therefore vague.
    Moderation is not. Words have meanings. Just stop it.

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

I would just say, I agree with those two statements in general but the rest of your jibber jabber doesn't make sense to me

It's akin to me making a ludicrous statement like "squats are horrible for your body" and then once people tell me I'm an idiot, I say "yes, in summary, regular exercise is good for your health." Of course, if you only read my summary (which isn't at all a summary of the nonsense I've been spewing in earlier posts) it will be easy to agree with, but that's only because it's not an accurate summary of what I've been saying. It's the same here - you only bothered to read the summary, which isn't an accurate summary, and then call everything else "jibber jabber." You might try actually reading the thread, as someone else suggested above, and then getting back to us with meaningful comments.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

I see you picked up this ridiculous point from another poster on another thread and keep running with it.
    The two words are not comparable. Clean is used out of context of its actual meaning and is therefore vague.
    Moderation is not. Words have meanings. Just stop it.
    I did not, but am glad someone else would like meanings for these words, too.

More time is spent debating "clean" and "moderation" than anything...and neither one of those concepts has a concrete definition.

One man's "moderate" amount is another man's "too much." One man's "clean" is another's "not clean" (or possibly "dirty", I don't know the opposite word.)
  • JeffseekingV
    edited November 2014
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

It's akin to me making a ludicrous statement like "squats are horrible for your body" and then once people tell me I'm an idiot, I say "yes, in summary, regular exercise is good for your health." Of course, if you only read my summary (which isn't at all a summary of the nonsense I've been spewing in earlier posts) it will be easy to agree with, but that's only because it's not an accurate summary of what I've been saying. It's the same here - you only bothered to read the summary, which isn't an accurate summary, and then call everything else "jibber jabber." You might try actually reading the thread, as someone else suggested above, and then getting back to us with meaningful comments.

I'd say, regular exercises are good for your body but squats aren't necessarily horrible for your body. If you do squats incorrectly, they can certainly be detrimental to your body. If you do them correctly, they are good for your overall health

I'd like to find common ground and work back to her other statements but I'll leave to you and the others to the shark feed.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    It should seem obvious that eating some of one kind of food, occasionally, while keeping it within a limit, should be a definition of moderation. Not eating it every day, or in large quantities. Why should this be argued ad nauseum?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

If you actually read what she actually posted in this thread, your selected quotes were not summarizing her point - at all.

• shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    To the OP I will answer with this...

From the great words of Timbahwolffff...
    "Practice discipline. Or Practice being disappointed. Your choice."

What are we going to do today Brain? The same thing we do everyday Pinky, lift and track macros and get our Micros in along with fiber.

It's pretty much that simple in my own humble opinion but I'm no certified etc etc. Best of luck to all and eagerly waiting/reading with my good/not good foods in hand, because in the end I make my own choices like everyone else does out here :)

Sooner or later one has to live and why not enjoy the delicious proteins that are waiting to be consumed! Come my little proteins!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

Again...read her posts. The jibber jabber is a summary of the poster you are defending.

• Kalikel
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    It should seem obvious that eating some of one kind of food, occasionally, while keeping it within a limit, should be a definition of moderation. Not eating it every day, or in large quantities. Why should this be argued ad nauseum?
    For many people, eating it every day is moderation...and it works very well for them.

For someone else, it's weekly, monthly or even less.

The amounts change, too.

So, really, it means nothing until the person using the word explains their definition of "a moderate amount."

I don't think anyone needs to defend their choices, of course. Eat non, eat some, eat a ton - it's their choice and no reason to pick on it or defend it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

Because the poster that people are taking exception to is being absolutist, touting hyperbole and has been posting inaccuracies all the way through this thread.

• JeffseekingV
    edited November 2014
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

Again...read her posts. The jibber jabber is a summary of the poster you are defending.

I'm not defending her. As I agree(with you) that some of her other comments don't make sense.

But I do agree on what she is attempting to portray as a summarization of her comments.

How about if I just asked you those questions as if I made them? W/O out any context or post history. ie.. solely standing on it's own? Basically I just want to know you stance on micronutrient intake and it's importance to you. I already know where you stand on macros and I agree completely. I'm no longer trying to get you on any common ground with the poster. Thanks.