If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    parkscs wrote: »
    Sometimes, it's not all about what you can see. Being buff, skinny, fit, obese, chubby doesn't matter. It's about what's happening on the inside of your body that you can't see. Hubby was 140lbs and 5'7" when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. Who knew! Kids are going into emergency rooms getting diagnosed with type 2 but look otherwise perfectly healthy!

Good luck in your ventures, guys! I wish you all the best and I hope the OP will have a chance to read what has been said and try it for himself, if he is truly seeking understanding and health improvement. :):heart:

That's called *kitten* happens. One of the healthiest guys I've known in my life was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was an avid cyclist, big into local produce and health before it became "cool" to buy organic, never smoked, never drank, and yet he died around the age of 50. No matter what you eat or don't eat, there are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is enjoy yourself and try to minimize your risk of illness.

But you're delusional if you think you'll be immune from cancer, diabetes and the like just because you avoid processed foods and gluten. Then again though, some people need to delude themselves because the reality is a bit too harsh, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

People judge but don't want to be judged..

I did not say I think this will make us immune from cancer and disease but what I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases, if you refrain from junk food and feed your body what it should have.

If you knew me personally, you would know that I have had my fair share and then some of loss and reality. Those who can see my heart (thank you for the messages) are what keeps me going. It's not discouraging at all to receive such backlash, it empowers me to go out and learn more in hopes that one day, the world might be a healthier and happier place for us.

For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

Ok, now I'm really done, lol. Have a good day!!

Here's the thing about moderation, though. It's possible to eat fast food and to also feed your body 100% of the nutrients that it should have. This isn't always an either/or scenario.

I do not believe the term moderation has been grasped yet. Last I looked the term "daily" was being used.
    "Moderation" is a lot like "clean". Everyone uses it differently, so the meaning varies depending on who is speaking. Small treats daily? Large treats daily? A weekly cheat meal? A weekly cheat day? A piece of cake every two or three months? All different takes on "moderation." And there are so many more.

"Clean" and "moderation" really have no consistent usages.

Also, some people don't want to eat a moderate amount of food that is bad for them. They want to eat only foods that are good for them.

There is nothing wrong with eating healthy! It's a great goal and certainly not one to discourage, IMO.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, it's not all about what you can see. Being buff, skinny, fit, obese, chubby doesn't matter. It's about what's happening on the inside of your body that you can't see. Hubby was 140lbs and 5'7" when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. Who knew! Kids are going into emergency rooms getting diagnosed with type 2 but look otherwise perfectly healthy!

Good luck in your ventures, guys! I wish you all the best and I hope the OP will have a chance to read what has been said and try it for himself, if he is truly seeking understanding and health improvement. :):heart:

That's called *kitten* happens. One of the healthiest guys I've known in my life was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was an avid cyclist, big into local produce and health before it became "cool" to buy organic, never smoked, never drank, and yet he died around the age of 50. No matter what you eat or don't eat, there are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is enjoy yourself and try to minimize your risk of illness.

But you're delusional if you think you'll be immune from cancer, diabetes and the like just because you avoid processed foods and gluten. Then again though, some people need to delude themselves because the reality is a bit too harsh, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

I did not say I think this will make us immune from cancer and disease but what I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases, if you refrain from junk food and feed your body what it should have.

If you knew me personally, you would know that I have had my fair share and then some of loss and reality. Those who can see my heart (thank you for the messages) are what keeps me going. It's not discouraging at all to receive such backlash, it empowers me to go out and learn more in hopes that one day, the world might be a healthier and happier place for us.

For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

While wikipedia is not the best source to cite, no-one has said that macronutrients are all that matter.

Going to post one of my favorite quotes - from an actual

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food! - Eric Helms"

There are very few foods that actively are bad for you, medical conditions aside, and in reasonable doses.

Also, please do go out and learn more.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    rml_16 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Mudler wrote: »
    i LOVE KFC... MMMMM greasy chickeny goodness!!!!

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    It's an approximation of what we used to think was chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

Hence the reason for it not being called Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore

If it's not chicken, what is it then?

They just don't get it, lol...

Get what?

^^^Can we get an answer to this?

Get the fact that it is no longer real chicken (like the real one clucking, laying eggs..) because it has been processed, filled with preservatives and addictive chemicals to the point that it tastes different (better). It's more common and convenient now to eat KFC than it is to go out and "get the chicken ready for dinner!".

I don't think it tastes better than the chicken I roast in my oven. I'm also perfectly capable of having a piece of KFC and leaving it at just one piece. And I still like my chicken better. So, addictive chemicals? Not buying it.

ETA: I think the "addictive" part is the convenience. People are addicted to their own laziness.

When I was eating it all the time, it tasted better than home made chicken. When I finally starved out the junk, I adapted to the healthy version of chicken, which I absolutely prefer now. I would probably spit out KFC if I tried it these days, although if I did in fact have to down it, I could certainly just stick to that one piece as well. IF I continued to eat it though, I would become accustomed to it and start craving it.

It is a toxic hunger with a never ending cycle. Consumption but no ultimately satisfaction because there are no nutrients there to satiate you which leads to overconsumption too often in the day. The high fat content and chemicals is what tricks your body into thinking you're full but it's just for a short time, maybe a few hours then you need more to sustain you.

There are 36g of protein in an original recipe KFC chicken breast (320 calories). How is that void of nutrients?
    Well, if you're hungry again "a few hours" after eating, clearly it's a lack of nutrients and nothing to do with your stomach being empty because you digested what you ate and it's time to eat again ...

I'm always hungry!

Especially after the sushi thread!

Wait...do you think sushi is addictive?! Skerred.

I'm addicted to all food. If I don't eat food, I'll die.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Mudler wrote: »
    i LOVE KFC... MMMMM greasy chickeny goodness!!!!

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    It's an approximation of what we used to think was chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

Hence the reason for it not being called Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore

If it's not chicken, what is it then?

They just don't get it, lol...

Get what?

^^^Can we get an answer to this?

Get the fact that it is no longer real chicken (like the real one clucking, laying eggs..) because it has been processed, filled with preservatives and addictive chemicals to the point that it tastes different (better). It's more common and convenient now to eat KFC than it is to go out and "get the chicken ready for dinner!".

I don't think it tastes better than the chicken I roast in my oven. I'm also perfectly capable of having a piece of KFC and leaving it at just one piece. And I still like my chicken better. So, addictive chemicals? Not buying it.

ETA: I think the "addictive" part is the convenience. People are addicted to their own laziness.

When I was eating it all the time, it tasted better than home made chicken. When I finally starved out the junk, I adapted to the healthy version of chicken, which I absolutely prefer now. I would probably spit out KFC if I tried it these days, although if I did in fact have to down it, I could certainly just stick to that one piece as well. IF I continued to eat it though, I would become accustomed to it and start craving it.

It is a toxic hunger with a never ending cycle. Consumption but no ultimately satisfaction because there are no nutrients there to satiate you which leads to overconsumption too often in the day. The high fat content and chemicals is what tricks your body into thinking you're full but it's just for a short time, maybe a few hours then you need more to sustain you.

There are 36g of protein in an original recipe KFC chicken breast (320 calories). How is that void of nutrients?
    Well, if you're hungry again "a few hours" after eating, clearly it's a lack of nutrients and nothing to do with your stomach being empty because you digested what you ate and it's time to eat again ...

I'm always hungry!

Especially after the sushi thread!

Wait...do you think sushi is addictive?! Skerred.

Sushi isn't....but wasabi is.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Who said macros are all that matter? I'm just saying nonsense like KFC chicken isn't actually chicken and that it's better than "real" chicken is... well, nonsense. KFC is pretty crappy in terms of food quality (I'm still in shock you think it tastes better than, well, anything), they're far from role models when it comes to humanely treating and killing animals, but chicken is still chicken. If you want to talk about actually helping people, you might start by eliminating vague meaningless phrases like avoiding "junk food" and "feed your body what it should have," because you can still gain weight with organic meat and veggies, you can still spike your blood sugar with "whole foods" and you can improve all of your health markers and reach a healthy body composition while still eating some "junk food."
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

While wikipedia is not the best source to cite, no-one has said that macronutrients are all that matter.

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food! - Eric Helms"

There are very few foods that actively are bad for you, medical conditions aside, and in reasonable doses.

From what I get from her post is that macronutrients isn't everything. There is a very good case to be made from micronutrient dense food intake. Not from a weight/calorie count standpoint but from a health standpoint. If your statement above includes both macro and micro, you two are agreeing more than disagreeing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

From what I get from her post is that macronutrients isn't everything. There is a very good case to be made from micronutrient dense food intake. Not from a weight/calorie count standpoint but from a health standpoint. If your statement above includes both macro and micro, you two are agreeing more than disagreeing.

My point was, no-one said it was. I am not agreeing with her at all however on most of her points. She seems to think that non-nutrient foods are toxic or something. They are not. She also seems to think that fast food has no nutrients at all - which is ludicrous.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Who said macros are all that matter? I'm just saying nonsense like KFC chicken isn't actually chicken and that it's better than "real" chicken is... well, nonsense. KFC is pretty crappy in terms of food quality (I'm still in shock you think it tastes better than, well, anything), they're far from role models when it comes to humanely treating and killing animals, but chicken is still chicken. If you want to talk about actually helping people, you might start by eliminating vague meaningless phrases like avoiding "junk food" and "feed your body what it should have," because you can still gain weight with organic meat and veggies, you can still spike your blood sugar with "whole foods" and you can improve all of your health markers and reach a healthy body composition while still eating some "junk food."

Finally! Some sensical sense.
  • parkscs
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Here's the thing about moderation, though. It's possible to eat fast food and to also feed your body 100% of the nutrients that it should have. This isn't always an either/or scenario.

I do not believe the term moderation has been grasped yet. Last I looked the term "daily" was being used.
    "Moderation" is a lot like "clean". Everyone uses it differently, so the meaning varies depending on who is speaking. Small treats daily? Large treats daily? A weekly cheat meal? A weekly cheat day? A piece of cake every two or three months? All different takes on "moderation." And there are so many more.

Also, some people don't want to eat a moderate amount of food that is bad for them. They want to eat only foods that are good for them.

There is nothing wrong with eating healthy! It's a great goal and certainly not one to discourage, IMO.

What people are saying is that it doesn't really work that way. Foods aren't "good" for you and "bad" for you - they're just food that has certain nutritional characteristics. A lot of people would say broccoli is "healthy" but if you eat nothing but broccoli, you'll wither away and die. Likewise, people might say a sugary candy is "bad" or "unhealthy", but a sugary candy may be one of the few foods that will help get you through a race or other strenuous physical activity. Moderation simply means eating foods in such a way that they do not sabotage the overall desired make-up of your diet, which includes both macro and micronutrients. Getting concerned about specific food choices being "healthy" and "healthy" is just losing sight of the forest for the trees. It's your overall diet that needs to be "healthy", not your specific food choices.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Yep, and in this case the poster was speaking of eating KFC daily, or multiple times daily. Which would be an extreme, not moderation.

Cool, didn't know that #sarcasm. Poster was spreading falsities about "bad" food. These falsities were being corrected.

Wow, never knew that #sarcasm. No one in the thread....or this forum discourage it.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

My point was, no-one said it was. I am not agreeing with her at all however on most of her points. She seems to think that non-nutrient foods are toxic or something. They are not. She also seems to think that fast food has no nutrients at all - which is ludicrous.

I only read her last quote that seems to summarize her point.

1) I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases

You agree or disagree?

2) For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

You agree or disagree?

I didn't read the wiki but I tend to agree with both of her statements. In a general sense.

I'm not sure if she is saying junk foods are toxic or not vs them being very micronutrient lacking. And there is probably a bunch of ingredients in various junk foods that aren't particularly great for you but that is merely my opinion. And I'll quantify that by stating that the amount of junk food intake would have to be pretty high and often to make a difference.

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

1) I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases

You agree or disagree?

2) For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

You agree or disagree?

I didn't read the wiki but I tend to agree with both of her statements. In a general sense.

I'm not sure if she is saying junk foods are toxic or not vs them being very micronutrient lacking. And there is probably a bunch of ingredients in various junk foods that aren't particularly great for you but that is merely my opinion. And I'll quantify that by stating that the amount of junk food intake would have to be pretty high and often to make a difference.

Try reading the rest of her posts, then get back to us!
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    There's always that ONE person who purposely doesn't get it because it suits them.

That person conveniently shows up to make ridiculous comments about how "eating healthy is being discouraged".

Don't be purposely daft.

You know very well that no one here has ever said that eating healthy is a bad idea.

Your act is tired.

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    none of our exprerts for the most.......if we were so correct, why would we have to come here to chronicle our weight loss and get support...None of us has all the answers, I only come here to log and support my friends...........
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I think the phrase is "judge not lest ye be judged." I think that guy named Jesus who you list as one of your inspirations said it. I'm pretty sure it means something about everyone not judging others, you can probably find out for sure on Wikipedia.

• mccindy72
    Options
    There's always that ONE person who purposely doesn't get it because it suits them.

That person conveniently shows up to make ridiculous comments about how "eating healthy is being discouraged".

Don't be purposely daft.

You know very well that no one here has ever said that eating healthy is a bad idea.

Your act is tired.

You should use the quote function.... no one is really sure to whom you are replying.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

Why not try to find common ground vs trying to be combative all the time? what exactly do you disagree with from her summarizations?
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It isn't obvious?

It's the same person EVERY SINGLE TIME one of these threads comes around.

• parkscs
    Options

You agree or disagree?

You agree or disagree?

Why not try to find common ground vs trying to be combative all the time? what exactly do you disagree with from her summarizations?

I'd disagree that it's a fair summarization of what else she's said in this thread. We've gone from KFC is addictive, KFC chicken isn't even chicken, and, even more shocking, KFC is "better tasting than other forms of chicken" (I'm still in disbelief anyone actually thinks KFC is good, much less better than all other chicken)... to "nutrients are important." Of course no one disagree nutrients are important - but I'd certainly disagree that accurately summarizes all the other nonsense in this thread.