If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sometimes, it's not all about what you can see. Being buff, skinny, fit, obese, chubby doesn't matter. It's about what's happening on the inside of your body that you can't see. Hubby was 140lbs and 5'7" when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. Who knew! Kids are going into emergency rooms getting diagnosed with type 2 but look otherwise perfectly healthy!

Good luck in your ventures, guys! I wish you all the best and I hope the OP will have a chance to read what has been said and try it for himself, if he is truly seeking understanding and health improvement. :):heart:
    Diabetes is mostly genetic though. And you can't change genetics.
    I brought up the point about inmates in penitentiaries. They are served the lowest quality food on a daily basis. They suffice some of their hunger from "commissary" which is usually just chips and candy. Yet for some reason they aren't dying off from all this bad processed stuff. And many of them have been doing this for YEARS. If there were any proof that just eating junk wouldn't kill you, then just look at the penal system.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    No one may seem to care now and think I'm stupid but because our bodies are resilient when we're young, the damages go highly unnoticed for years, yet still remains.

Frankly, we don't want to admit that junk food is bad for us because it makes us feel good, we have so many family traditions around comfort foods and it's just so easy and convenient.

After the years go by though, the body starts breaking down because we've "used up all of our years" eating junk food and not getting the nutrition we needed to fight off and heal the damage it caused. We are left with a health care system focused on CARE instead of prevention because in prevention, there is no profit..

Gassing up our cars with jet fuel will blow the motor in an instant, but a car lacks in self healing abilities. Our bodies don't just "blow up" like a car would with jet fuel when we eat junk because we can heal from the inside out but overtime, without enough "good", the bad will overcome and that's when diseases set in.

You are watching too many propaganda laden independant food movies, or listening to too many health blogs...

Probably The Food Babe!!

It really is nonsense...

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    TJR88 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    dp1228 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Mudler wrote: »
    Moderation is the big word to stick to but there is science to it as well
    Food companies are selling us drugs, sugar and salt.
    They know that they can sell more and more.
    The whole world is getting fat and ill as a result.
    We crave them and we crave foods that contain them

I'm the worst, i love those foods and give me them all the time. I'm trying desperately to break the cycle but struggling and do give in to it occasionally.

No. People get fat and ill because they don't pay attention to what they're eating, are largely ignorant of their calorie limits and nutritional needs, and lack the personal accountability to ensure they don't go massively overboard.

Until people stop blaming external factors and accept that it's their own problem then things will not change.

Exactly this. Obesity is on the rise because people eat too much and move too little, and at the end of the day the decision to do that is made by you. It's very easy to make a villain out of the convenience food providers and producers, but at the end of the day you are the one making yourself fat. Not them.

I'm sorry but I call BS. You cannot fit obesity into a neat small little box. Sorry to break it to some of you guys, but for MANY people external factors ARE to blame. Individual responsibility is a part of it, but you are naïve if you think external factors don't play a major part. Every heard of food deserts? Places where access to nutritionally rich food is limited or nonexistent? Ever think about areas where there ARE no places for people to get out and "move" because it's too dangerous? They can't afford a fancy gym membership either. Ever think about people who are NOT educated and do not know any better about how to really eat properly? Ever think about sway that cultural values have over many people that lead them to truly believe that bigger is better and healthy?

The problem I have with MFP is that a lot of us have the luxury to take charge of our health and yes, in those cases we should know better and do better (even though I have to point out that we ALL know that junk food has an addictive quality to it and triggers our dopamine reward system). But, the world is a big place. Saying obesity is on the rise because people eat too much and move too little does NOT apply to everyone.
    Let me just say that IF this were the case entirely, then inmates in penitentiaries should be obese.
    They DON'T get nutritionally rich foods. Nor do they live in "safe" areas. They don't have gyms (most penitentiaries have removed weights). Many inmates have very average intelligence.
    So why are so many thin and some very fit? Well because their calorie intake is basically restricted.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not really a fair comparison. In your scenario, their calories are restricted for them. They don't have to use willpower to limit their portions or educate themselves about calories and nutrition to figure out appropriate portion sizes.

In the scenario that dp1228 is referring to getting the education and the willpower to reduce portion sizes can be incredibly challenging. Particularly in a context where food might be a big part of how they cope with living in difficult circumstances, nobody else is educated on the matter and nobody else really cares about reducing their portion sizes.

Very few people will beat the odds to lose weight in those circumstances on their own, it might be simple logistically to do so but its incredibly difficult practically without changing the environment.

Environment can be a very very big factor in whether someone is successful in managing a healthy weight IMO, as is education (which is why the hyperbole, fear mongrering and basically incorrect assertions of certain posters in fhis thread can actually be damaging).

Studies have shown that the most successful diets re losing weight and maintaining it involve education and a support system. Part of that education should be how to adapt your environment enough to make adherence (to diet and exercise) as easy as possible.

• ninerbuff
    Options

So, as a nurse I can tell you that the body is actually addicted to gluten and carbs.
    A Registered Dietician would disagree with you then. And nutrition is their specialty, not just their opinion.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    Sometimes, it's not all about what you can see. Being buff, skinny, fit, obese, chubby doesn't matter. It's about what's happening on the inside of your body that you can't see. Hubby was 140lbs and 5'7" when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. Who knew! Kids are going into emergency rooms getting diagnosed with type 2 but look otherwise perfectly healthy!

Good luck in your ventures, guys! I wish you all the best and I hope the OP will have a chance to read what has been said and try it for himself, if he is truly seeking understanding and health improvement. :):heart:

That's called *kitten* happens. One of the healthiest guys I've known in my life was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was an avid cyclist, big into local produce and health before it became "cool" to buy organic, never smoked, never drank, and yet he died around the age of 50. No matter what you eat or don't eat, there are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is enjoy yourself and try to minimize your risk of illness.

But you're delusional if you think you'll be immune from cancer, diabetes and the like just because you avoid processed foods and gluten. Then again though, some people need to delude themselves because the reality is a bit too harsh, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

People judge but don't want to be judged..

I did not say I think this will make us immune from cancer and disease but what I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases, if you refrain from junk food and feed your body what it should have.

If you knew me personally, you would know that I have had my fair share and then some of loss and reality. Those who can see my heart (thank you for the messages) are what keeps me going. It's not discouraging at all to receive such backlash, it empowers me to go out and learn more in hopes that one day, the world might be a healthier and happier place for us.

For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

Ok, now I'm really done, lol. Have a good day!!

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    i LOVE KFC... MMMMM greasy chickeny goodness!!!!

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    It's an approximation of what we used to think was chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

Hence the reason for it not being called Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore

If it's not chicken, what is it then?

They just don't get it, lol...

Get what?

^^^Can we get an answer to this?

Get the fact that it is no longer real chicken (like the real one clucking, laying eggs..) because it has been processed, filled with preservatives and addictive chemicals to the point that it tastes different (better). It's more common and convenient now to eat KFC than it is to go out and "get the chicken ready for dinner!".

If you think KFC tastes better than all other chicken, you're either delusional or just sheltered. KFC is pretty trashy frankly. It's quick, it's somewhat inexpensive, but it's far from fine dining. Try a freshly harvested chicken prepared by a real chef... there's no comparison.

Now that you mention it, the best fried chicken I've personally had resides about an hour west of the metro in a tiny café that resides between nowhere and the sticks. Must get the same chemical chicken I guess.

Are you referring to a place called "the Broaster"?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

That's called *kitten* happens. One of the healthiest guys I've known in my life was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was an avid cyclist, big into local produce and health before it became "cool" to buy organic, never smoked, never drank, and yet he died around the age of 50. No matter what you eat or don't eat, there are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is enjoy yourself and try to minimize your risk of illness.

But you're delusional if you think you'll be immune from cancer, diabetes and the like just because you avoid processed foods and gluten. Then again though, some people need to delude themselves because the reality is a bit too harsh, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

I did not say I think this will make us immune from cancer and disease but what I did say is that it can and likely will improve your overall quality of life and even reverse certain diseases, if you refrain from junk food and feed your body what it should have.

If you knew me personally, you would know that I have had my fair share and then some of loss and reality. Those who can see my heart (thank you for the messages) are what keeps me going. It's not discouraging at all to receive such backlash, it empowers me to go out and learn more in hopes that one day, the world might be a healthier and happier place for us.

For those who think macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) are all that matters, have a read about what a nutrient actually is and how it's more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient

Here's the thing about moderation, though. It's possible to eat fast food and to also feed your body 100% of the nutrients that it should have. This isn't always an either/or scenario.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Here's the thing about moderation, though. It's possible to eat fast food and to also feed your body 100% of the nutrients that it should have. This isn't always an either/or scenario.

THANK YOU.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I'm the worst, i love those foods and give me them all the time. I'm trying desperately to break the cycle but struggling and do give in to it occasionally.

No. People get fat and ill because they don't pay attention to what they're eating, are largely ignorant of their calorie limits and nutritional needs, and lack the personal accountability to ensure they don't go massively overboard.

Until people stop blaming external factors and accept that it's their own problem then things will not change.

Exactly this. Obesity is on the rise because people eat too much and move too little, and at the end of the day the decision to do that is made by you. It's very easy to make a villain out of the convenience food providers and producers, but at the end of the day you are the one making yourself fat. Not them.

I'm sorry but I call BS. You cannot fit obesity into a neat small little box. Sorry to break it to some of you guys, but for MANY people external factors ARE to blame. Individual responsibility is a part of it, but you are naïve if you think external factors don't play a major part. Every heard of food deserts? Places where access to nutritionally rich food is limited or nonexistent? Ever think about areas where there ARE no places for people to get out and "move" because it's too dangerous? They can't afford a fancy gym membership either. Ever think about people who are NOT educated and do not know any better about how to really eat properly? Ever think about sway that cultural values have over many people that lead them to truly believe that bigger is better and healthy?

The problem I have with MFP is that a lot of us have the luxury to take charge of our health and yes, in those cases we should know better and do better (even though I have to point out that we ALL know that junk food has an addictive quality to it and triggers our dopamine reward system). But, the world is a big place. Saying obesity is on the rise because people eat too much and move too little does NOT apply to everyone.
    Let me just say that IF this were the case entirely, then inmates in penitentiaries should be obese.
    They DON'T get nutritionally rich foods. Nor do they live in "safe" areas. They don't have gyms (most penitentiaries have removed weights). Many inmates have very average intelligence.
    So why are so many thin and some very fit? Well because their calorie intake is basically restricted.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not really a fair comparison. In your scenario, their calories are restricted for them. They don't have to use willpower to limit their portions or educate themselves about calories and nutrition to figure out appropriate portion sizes.

In the scenario that dp1228 is referring to getting the education and the willpower to reduce portion sizes can be incredibly challenging. Particularly in a context where food might be a big part of how they cope with living in difficult circumstances, nobody else is educated on the matter and nobody else really cares about reducing their portion sizes.

Very few people will beat the odds to lose weight in those circumstances on their own, it might be simple logistically to do so but its incredibly difficult practically without changing the environment.

yup :) I never said it was impossible, but in my opinion and based off of my experience it can be difficult due to the environment.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The education is FREE to those willing to learn it. Anyone who is willing and committed can reduce portion sizes. And of course there are events where people finally get it (a heart attack, stroke, etc.) and then make changes. It really is going to come down to how much of a priority it really is to the person.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

giphy.gif
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I do not believe the term moderation has been grasped yet. Last I looked the term "daily" was being used.

Awesome, Wikipedia is out now.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

Get what?

Get the fact that it is no longer real chicken (like the real one clucking, laying eggs..) because it has been processed, filled with preservatives and addictive chemicals to the point that it tastes different (better). It's more common and convenient now to eat KFC than it is to go out and "get the chicken ready for dinner!".

If you think KFC tastes better than all other chicken, you're either delusional or just sheltered. KFC is pretty trashy frankly. It's quick, it's somewhat inexpensive, but it's far from fine dining. Try a freshly harvested chicken prepared by a real chef... there's no comparison.

Now that you mention it, the best fried chicken I've personally had resides about an hour west of the metro in a tiny café that resides between nowhere and the sticks. Must get the same chemical chicken I guess.

Are you referring to a place called "the Broaster"?

No one seems to be appreciating my Seinfeld gifs but I will keep trying!

1338420942_11108qc.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No one may seem to care now and think I'm stupid but because our bodies are resilient when we're young, the damages go highly unnoticed for years, yet still remains.

Frankly, we don't want to admit that junk food is bad for us because it makes us feel good, we have so many family traditions around comfort foods and it's just so easy and convenient.

After the years go by though, the body starts breaking down because we've "used up all of our years" eating junk food and not getting the nutrition we needed to fight off and heal the damage it caused. We are left with a health care system focused on CARE instead of prevention because in prevention, there is no profit..

Gassing up our cars with jet fuel will blow the motor in an instant, but a car lacks in self healing abilities. Our bodies don't just "blow up" like a car would with jet fuel when we eat junk because we can heal from the inside out but overtime, without enough "good", the bad will overcome and that's when diseases set in.

I'm fairly certain that the majority of people here saying that KFC is not evil, fake and addictive chicken are not saying that out of some sort of food nostalgia. In fact, most the people commenting practice moderation and try to move around a lot. These are not the people making excuses and these are not people I would condescend to if I were you.

Also, I don't have any family traditions around KFC, McD's or any other so called "junk food." I just don't fear it because I understand that eating a piece of KFC isn't going to poison me or send me down the spiral of addiction.
    My family's food traditions are things like lasagna and this cheese bread from the part of Italy we come from. Neither are easy or convenient, but they sure do taste good.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    seinfeld-gifs-kramer-turkey.gif
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

But like you said before...

"Sure you can do it in moderation, if you are healthy all around - Good self control, discipline and no current, serious health conditions."

So it really isn't about the food per se...
  • PRMinx
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »

I'm fairly certain that the majority of people here saying that KFC is not evil, fake and addictive chicken are not saying that out of some sort of food nostalgia. In fact, most the people commenting practice moderation and try to move around a lot. These are not the people making excuses and these are not people I would condescend to if I were you.

Also, I don't have any family traditions around KFC, McD's or any other so called "junk food." I just don't fear it because I understand that eating a piece of KFC isn't going to poison me or send me down the spiral of addiction.
    My family's food traditions are things like lasagna and this cheese bread from the part of Italy we come from. Neither are easy or convenient, but they sure do taste good.

Mmmmmm. I want.

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Get what?

I don't think it tastes better than the chicken I roast in my oven. I'm also perfectly capable of having a piece of KFC and leaving it at just one piece. And I still like my chicken better. So, addictive chemicals? Not buying it.

ETA: I think the "addictive" part is the convenience. People are addicted to their own laziness.

When I was eating it all the time, it tasted better than home made chicken. When I finally starved out the junk, I adapted to the healthy version of chicken, which I absolutely prefer now. I would probably spit out KFC if I tried it these days, although if I did in fact have to down it, I could certainly just stick to that one piece as well. IF I continued to eat it though, I would become accustomed to it and start craving it.

It is a toxic hunger with a never ending cycle. Consumption but no ultimately satisfaction because there are no nutrients there to satiate you which leads to overconsumption too often in the day. The high fat content and chemicals is what tricks your body into thinking you're full but it's just for a short time, maybe a few hours then you need more to sustain you.

There are 36g of protein in an original recipe KFC chicken breast (320 calories). How is that void of nutrients?
    Well, if you're hungry again "a few hours" after eating, clearly it's a lack of nutrients and nothing to do with your stomach being empty because you digested what you ate and it's time to eat again ...

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Get what?

I don't think it tastes better than the chicken I roast in my oven. I'm also perfectly capable of having a piece of KFC and leaving it at just one piece. And I still like my chicken better. So, addictive chemicals? Not buying it.

ETA: I think the "addictive" part is the convenience. People are addicted to their own laziness.

When I was eating it all the time, it tasted better than home made chicken. When I finally starved out the junk, I adapted to the healthy version of chicken, which I absolutely prefer now. I would probably spit out KFC if I tried it these days, although if I did in fact have to down it, I could certainly just stick to that one piece as well. IF I continued to eat it though, I would become accustomed to it and start craving it.

It is a toxic hunger with a never ending cycle. Consumption but no ultimately satisfaction because there are no nutrients there to satiate you which leads to overconsumption too often in the day. The high fat content and chemicals is what tricks your body into thinking you're full but it's just for a short time, maybe a few hours then you need more to sustain you.

There are 36g of protein in an original recipe KFC chicken breast (320 calories). How is that void of nutrients?
    Well, if you're hungry again "a few hours" after eating, clearly it's a lack of nutrients and nothing to do with your stomach being empty because you digested what you ate and it's time to eat again ...

I'm always hungry!
  • PRMinx
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

Get what?

I'm always hungry!

Especially after the sushi thread!

Wait...do you think sushi is addictive?! Skerred.