If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    parkscs wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel like people aren't getting the OP's point. If you don't eat a ton of junk food, feel bad about it, and then go back for more, then this forum isn't for you. If you've got moderation and that's the answer, this forum isn't for you.

OP, I sympathize. I'm like a dog. Or just an idiot. I can overeat repeatedly and, the next night, go back for more and do it to myself again. Same with drinking; apparently, hangovers aren't enough to teach me that lesson. I don't have a great answer other than it tastes great! I also think our bodies are hard-wired to love fat, salt and sugar (I believe that theory, anyway).

So the forum isn't for people who have learned willpower and how to control their urges? Personally I would think those are the people you'd want around on a weight loss forum, not just a bunch of people who lack control of their own actions sympathizing with each other.

All I'm saying is, if you go back to the OP's first post, he's asking a question: why do people overeat when it hurts them and they know it's bad for them. Saying things like "take responsibility for yourself" and "moderation is key" are not answering the question. That is all I am trying to communicate.

So what should be said then?

I guess answers to the question. That's why I said earlier, if this isn't a problem for you, you probably don't have a direct answer to his question. Am I missing something here?

He's just commenting some nonsense as it looks like he has nothing better do to or anything to really add. Just ignore
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Probably The Food Babe!!

Thanks! :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    But if we don't argue about minutiae, people can't sit there and feel superior about themselves.

They can't pat themselves on the back for not eating "junk" food without passive-aggressively saying nonsense like "not all foods are equal" and then talking out the other side of their mouth with "I don't think anyone needs to defend their choices, of course."

That's like saying: "You can eat that cookie if you want, but I won't, because it's not equal to this carrot."

The other person hears: "I'm better because I chose the carrot over the cookie."

It smacks of unnecessary smugness.

You are reading things in that weren't said, implied or even thought.

I did not think that. I didn't try to imply it. I certainly never said it.

You're insulting me for saying things you made up.

Oh, I've seen your handiwork before.

I remember you quite well from when I used to lurk the forums.

You're the one who usually starts whinging about how people discourage "healthy eating".

And how the moderation crowd is afraid that "someone will try to take their donuts away".

I'm tickled that you're insulted, since I didn't even say anything remotely insulting to you.

But I suppose the truth of how you might be perceived could be hurtful.

Good.

You write your own bollocks well enough on your own.

You certainly don't require my help.

I do not now, nor did I ever, believe anyone is worried anyone will take anything away. That kind of thing is said a lot around here. Very condescending people will say, "Don't worry, nobody is trying to take your XYZ away." I don't say it and always think it's very silly (as well as rude) when I see it.

It is obvious that I've personally hurt or offended you at some point and I apologize for it. I'm sorry to report that I don't remember it, but am sure the fault was mine and none of yours.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel like people aren't getting the OP's point. If you don't eat a ton of junk food, feel bad about it, and then go back for more, then this forum isn't for you. If you've got moderation and that's the answer, this forum isn't for you.

OP, I sympathize. I'm like a dog. Or just an idiot. I can overeat repeatedly and, the next night, go back for more and do it to myself again. Same with drinking; apparently, hangovers aren't enough to teach me that lesson. I don't have a great answer other than it tastes great! I also think our bodies are hard-wired to love fat, salt and sugar (I believe that theory, anyway).

So the forum isn't for people who have learned willpower and how to control their urges? Personally I would think those are the people you'd want around on a weight loss forum, not just a bunch of people who lack control of their own actions sympathizing with each other.

All I'm saying is, if you go back to the OP's first post, he's asking a question: why do people overeat when it hurts them and they know it's bad for them. Saying things like "take responsibility for yourself" and "moderation is key" are not answering the question. That is all I am trying to communicate.

I guess answers to the question. That's why I said earlier, if this isn't a problem for you, you probably don't have a direct answer to his question. Am I missing something here?
    The question was answered.

One needs to take responsibility for what one consumes. No one is force feeding the OP.
    No one can make him eat less, he has to find the ability to Moderate his intake.
    If he has to moderate by eliminating some foods, then so be it.

So his question was answered. It's the same answers I got and thought were wrong a few years ago. Basically because I wanted the quick fix, didn't want to put the hard work in. Now I do!
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You assign yourself undue power.

You don't have what it takes to "hurt" or "offend" me.

However, your denial of past occurrences and empty internet apology are highly amusing.

You'll slip up and expose what you really are again soon enough.

Cheers for now.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Junk food and sugar are addictive and we're surrounded by it everyday... it's honestly not our fault we eat so much of it. The industries don't care about our health, they care about profit.
  • asdowe13
    edited November 2014
    Options

He's just commenting some nonsense as it looks like he has nothing better do to or anything to really add. Just ignore

Pot meet kettle.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    Junk food and sugar are addictive and we're surrounded by it everyday... it's honestly not our fault we eat so much of it. The industries don't care about our health, they care about profit.

LOL . NO!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Because we have absolutely zero control over what we eat?
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    This is my last attempt at just communicating. Did he ask how to conquer this, or why we do it? I thought he was remarking that it was odd that people do this and he wanted conjectures as to why it's happening. I'll go back to the hypothetical hangover question. If the OP had asked, "Why do people keep drinking, even though hangovers suck?" People wouldn't have responded with, "you need to practice moderation," they'd say, "Yeah, that's crazy, I do that all of the time, it must just be really fun..." or something that actually answered the question. Anyway, starting to feel the hate, so I guess I'm done.

Practice moderation, everyone. And don't eat at KFC. Or do.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You assign yourself undue power.

You don't have what it takes to "hurt" or "offend" me.

However, your denial of past occurrences and empty internet apology are highly amusing.

You'll slip up and expose what you really are again soon enough.

Cheers for now.

I apologize again. It wasn't my intention to call you "weak." Really.

I am, however, quite finished discussing things I never said.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Pot meet kettle.

Useless comment, meet your father.

What in holy hell does that person have to do with me? I don't advocate what she says?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Right cause we are a generation of no personal responsibility. We can't push ourselves away from the table. We can't make decisions for ourselves and take responsibility for the consequences from those decisions.

I take full responsibility that I put 2 cookies in my mouth this morning they were delicious! The industries aren't out there to worry about my health that is MY concern.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I don't understand why you don't view being accountable for what you eat and finding the willpower to consume tasty foods in moderation to be answers. All you said was you don't have an answer, stuff tastes great, and you struggle with overeating... that's not an answer, but rather just empathy. Even if, as you say, your body is "wired" to enjoy fatty, salty and sweet foods, that doesn't change that your brain is capable of controlling your own actions. There are plenty of things I'd wager you enjoy in life, but yet you exercise some degree of control over your own actions. What you eat is no different. If your problem was spending too much money every month, people would advise that you find a way to stick to a budget. Is that difficult to do? Sure. But is that the answer? Yes, it is. If all they said was "that sucks bro, I spend all my income every month too!" then they aren't providing any sort of a solution.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This is my last attempt at just communicating. Did he ask how to conquer this, or why we do it? I thought he was remarking that it was odd that people do this and he wanted conjectures as to why it's happening. I'll go back to the hypothetical hangover question. If the OP had asked, "Why do people keep drinking, even though hangovers suck?" People wouldn't have responded with, "you need to practice moderation," they'd say, "Yeah, that's crazy, I do that all of the time, it must just be really fun..." or something that actually answered the question. Anyway, starting to feel the hate, so I guess I'm done.

If someone was frequently hungover, I would definitely ask that person to practice moderation. One can appreciate an occasional drink without being a college frat boy.
  • asdowe13
    Options

Pot meet kettle.

What in holy hell does that person have to do with me? I don't advocate what she says?

Had nothing to do with her....I don't know how that quote got into this mess.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Probably The Food Babe!!

Thanks! :)

That was NOT a complement.

• JeffseekingV
    Options

Pot meet kettle.

Let me search for the proper canned response. I think it's "and the backpedalling begins!"

Even if you didn't mean it, if you think you're any better than anyone else in that regard, you must be flat out nuts.
  • asdowe13
    Options

Pot meet kettle.

Let me search for the proper canned response. I think it's "and the backpedalling begins!"

Even if you didn't mean it, if you think you're any better than anyone else in that regard, you must be flat out nuts.

You seem to be confused I was commenting on

with Pot meet kettle

How the *kitten* her quote got tangled up in this is anyones guess.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Actually drinking in moderation is definitely good advice. Anything over 1 drink per day (and we aren't talking 1 grande margarita) is detrimental to your health. Getting shitfaced and being hung over all the time is a horrible idea when it comes to long-term health... so yeah, I'd say moderation for the most part is probably the answer. "Yeah that's crazy, I do it all the time" is a college-aged mentality which most people outgrow after a while (knowing a few people struggling with alcoholism is usually a quick way to do this).