Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Just curious.....what do you do if you go on vacations and no kitchen available?? How about birthday parties with cake and ice cream are served?? It's all part of life, I eat about 80% healthy foods and 20% of awesome foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies, etc. :smiley:

I do not eat out. I am married to a chef and eat out maybe three times a year. We ways eat at home or woth friends / family.

I got into late night munchies, baking and quick lunches which is part of the reason I ended up here. Chocolate is not my downfall, but other snacks are.

It's ok to say no to cake & ice cream. And I have no problems doing so.
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I new to MFP. I was not aware of the controversial nature of this post.

I am just starting out. I joined last week.

Today I wish I never did.

There's really no need to be taking this so personally. No one is telling you what to eat. No one is judging you, they are commenting on a diet plan.

I have read some very judgemental posts today and they were very hurtful.

This is the internet, so why? They don't know you and you don't know them. There's no reason to fell hurt. They are judging the style of eating, not the person eating it.

• DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Then your sugar point is moot.

Eat whatever you want, squire.

But don't pretend that it's somehow superior to something else when it most likely isn't.

• mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    Just curious.....what do you do if you go on vacations and no kitchen available?? How about birthday parties with cake and ice cream are served?? It's all part of life, I eat about 80% healthy foods and 20% of awesome foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies, etc. :smiley:

It's simple… you don't eat it.

The point is you don't have to cut these things completely out and it will have zero negative impact on overall health and weight loss. Unless it's a trigger food or you have a medical condition, there's no reason for someone to completely cut out anything that they enjoy.

It may not have any benefits/negative impact for you one way or another but for some it does. I agree that you shouldn't cut out foods that you enjoy just because but I don't see anything wrong with trying to eat fresher, less packaged foods. Not here to debate the definition of "clean eating" but the general concept is not bad if one does their research and does it from a nutritional stand point and not a fad stand point. It's about making choices that fit your personal goals. Everyone has different goals and preferences.

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

But don't pretend that it's somehow superior to something else when it most likely isn't.

Who me?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Most people I know who prefer steel cut like it because they say the texture is more to their liking.

That IS why I like it. I just looked at the three oatmeals I've had recently, and my favorite one (Bob's Red Mill) has more fiber and protein in a serving (7 g protein, 5 g fiber), neither really that much to write home about, especially as I think I initially picked it because it had comparatively good numbers. It also has slightly higher calories than the others. The other steel cut I had around (McCann's) and ate when I ran out of Bob's had only 4 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber, which is really nothing special. The instant I had before I realized I had the McCann's (Flahavan's) has better numbers than the McCann's steel cut--5 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber, and no added sugar.

Not sure why the instant would be assumed to be less clean given this. I still think the Bob's is tastier, though, and better than the other kinds of Bob's Red Mill oatmeal, which probably all have similar numbers. I wish my preferred oatmeal wasn't currently trendy.

Anyway, I usually prefer an omelet to any of them (I add feta cheese, which is probably unclean). Among other things, having more fat in the morning tends to work better for me.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

The point is you don't have to cut these things completely out and it will have zero negative impact on overall health and weight loss. Unless it's a trigger food or you have a medical condition, there's no reason for someone to completely cut out anything that they enjoy.

I know what the point is but it doesn't apply to me because 1) I have Crohn's disease that impacts my food choices tremendously (I could choose to ignore it but I prefer to be at home instead of the hospital), 2) I have insulin resistance which also impacts my food choices, 3) I have postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome which gets worse when I eat certain foods, and 4) I have food allergies.

Unless you have medical conditions which require some sort of food restriction, you shouldn't cut foods out completely but some people WANT to and everyone just needs to be respectful of that.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I know what the point is but it doesn't apply to me because 1) I have Crohn's disease that impacts my food choices tremendously (I could choose to ignore it but I prefer to be at home instead of the hospital), 2) I have insulin resistance which also impacts my food choices, 3) I have postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome which gets worse when I eat certain foods, and 4) I have food allergies.

We have an outlier here folks, one of the many few.

You my dear are not the average person. YOU have to avoid foods for medical reasons, the average person does not
  • makeupandthings
    Options
    So if I use my food processor to prepare my homemade lean meal, doe that count as "processed food"? :p
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

Who me?

Indeed.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Most people I know who prefer steel cut like it because they say the texture is more to their liking.

That IS why I like it. I just looked at the three oatmeals I've had recently, and my favorite one (Bob's Red Mill) has more fiber and protein in a serving (7 g protein, 5 g fiber), neither really that much to write home about, especially as I think I initially picked it because it had comparatively good numbers. It also has slightly higher calories than the others. The other steel cut I had around (McCann's) and ate when I ran out of Bob's had only 4 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber, which is really nothing special. The instant I had before I realized I had the McCann's (Flahavan's) has better numbers than the McCann's steel cut--5 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber, and no added sugar.

Not sure why the instant would be assumed to be less clean given this. I still think the Bob's is tastier, though, and better than the other kinds of Bob's Red Mill oatmeal, which probably all have similar numbers. I wish my preferred oatmeal wasn't currently trendy.

Anyway, I usually prefer an omelet to any of them (I add feta cheese, which is probably unclean). Among other things, having more fat in the morning tends to work better for me.

This is a lot more logical. Better taste and texture, better numbers = preferable to something else.

There's no nebulous, unnecessary dichotomy to fiddle with.

I'm very fond of the deliciously filthy feta cheese, especially in omelet form.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

I do not eat out. I am married to a chef and eat out maybe three times a year. We ways eat at home or woth friends / family.

I got into late night munchies, baking and quick lunches which is part of the reason I ended up here. Chocolate is not my downfall, but other snacks are.

There's really no need to be taking this so personally. No one is telling you what to eat. No one is judging you, they are commenting on a diet plan.

Just because you read them as hurtful, doesn't mean they were typed to be hurtful.

You need to read everything posted in forums in a monotone voice with no emotion what-so-ever.

I prefer to read everything as if everyone has sucked in helium... makes it so much more enjoyable... although chemicals... but whatever, it's funny as hell.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP, I sent you a friend request. Please add me. I eat this way 100% of the time and love it. Real food tastes and makes you feel great! I haven't eaten out once in 8 weeks since I started this lifestyle. It's clearning my mind and showing me that I don't need to eat the kind of food that leads me to overeat or binge. Some people can have hot dogs, candy, cake, etc, and control themselves and not overeat. They stay under their calorie goals. Good for them. That doesn't work for all of us. For me, I feel like clean eating is a way for me to enjoy food, take control of my eating habits and find something else in life to enjoy. I have tons of hobbies I shelved because I gained weight. I want to get back to those things.

I don't take the original post that literally. The point is to eat food in as close to its natural state as possible. For example, Old fashioned or steel cut oats vs. quick oats or artificially flavored oatmeal. You can check my diary for some of the food I eat (when you accept my request; it's not public). If I were to have a hamburger, I would grind my own beef or turkey so I know what's in it.

Good luck and shake off the negativity and ridicule. It's not worth it.

why are steel cut oats superior to instant oats?

Depending on your preferences/macro needs, Steel Cut Oats tend to be more nutrient dense.

Steel cut oats usually have more fiber and protein which may help you feel full longer.

Instant oats have added sugar and salt. That's fine if it fits your macros but using steel cut is an easy way to cut back on salt and sugar.

so it is a preference and has no bearing on health or weight loss, as to which one, one eats...
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat this way about 80% of the time. For several years, I ate this way 100% of the time, but I decided to be less restrictive.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »

Just because you read them as hurtful, doesn't mean they were typed to be hurtful.

You need to read everything posted in forums in a monotone voice with no emotion what-so-ever.

I prefer to read everything as if everyone has sucked in helium... makes it so much more enjoyable... although chemicals... but whatever, it's funny as hell.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You are on a roll today, my dear!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP, I sent you a friend request. Please add me. I eat this way 100% of the time and love it. Real food tastes and makes you feel great! I haven't eaten out once in 8 weeks since I started this lifestyle. It's clearning my mind and showing me that I don't need to eat the kind of food that leads me to overeat or binge. Some people can have hot dogs, candy, cake, etc, and control themselves and not overeat. They stay under their calorie goals. Good for them. That doesn't work for all of us. For me, I feel like clean eating is a way for me to enjoy food, take control of my eating habits and find something else in life to enjoy. I have tons of hobbies I shelved because I gained weight. I want to get back to those things.

I don't take the original post that literally. The point is to eat food in as close to its natural state as possible. For example, Old fashioned or steel cut oats vs. quick oats or artificially flavored oatmeal. You can check my diary for some of the food I eat (when you accept my request; it's not public). If I were to have a hamburger, I would grind my own beef or turkey so I know what's in it.

Depending on your preferences/macro needs, Steel Cut Oats tend to be more nutrient dense.

Steel cut oats usually have more fiber and protein which may help you feel full longer.

Instant oats have added sugar and salt. That's fine if it fits your macros but using steel cut is an easy way to cut back on salt and sugar.

so it is a preference and has no bearing on health or weight loss, as to which one, one eats...
    Wouldn't "more nutrient dense" possibly relate to health?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

possibly, I guess...certainly, no..

I mean it is a possibility that every time I get on a plane it will crash, but they do not ...

So I am not sure what the point of your question is...
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    OP,
    We all came to MFP because we were/are struggling with something with regard to our fitness (diet and/or exercise) and we are here to offer and receive support from each other. Changing diet and exercise routines is a life style change. Problems can come from areas that have nothing to do with diet. We have outside influences and vices that affect us and make those changes difficult. You'd be surprised what you might learn from someone who does not follow your diet plan. While I hope the plan you set out for yourself works and you accomplish your goal, what if it doesn't? Are you going to shun people away because they don't see this diet world exactly as you do? Many of the comments question exactly what is meant by a "clean diet" to you. People cannot offer support if they don't understand what it is you are trying to change in you. Neither do they have to live by your plan to offer support and encouragement. We are all different and different things work for each of us. Many here understand that and will support the plans you have for yourself. When it comes to changing the way we live our lives often times it comes in small steps. Not one fell swoop of enormous change all at once. You do not know where these folks are on their journey anymore than they know where you are on yours. Share where you are and where you want to be and what your initial plan is to get started and you will find plenty of people to help you on the way.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

possibly, I guess...certainly, no..

I mean it is a possibility that every time I get on a plane it will crash, but they do not ...

So I am not sure what the point of your question is...
    You said it was a preference that had no bearing on health. I asked whether choosing the more nutrient dense option(s) might have a bearing on health.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just don't get all the stress placed on this. I eat "clean" about 85-90 % of the time and I never once thought hard about it. It's just how life and eating works. Am I going to eat processed food all the time? No. It makes my stomach hurt. Sometimes actually gives me a headache.

Actually, maybe I don't eat clean. Every time I see a post or an article about it I ignore it, so who knows.

I had a Banquet Chicken Pot Pie last night for the first time in years. It was not that great.

Next time I'm going to try Marie Calendar's Chicken Pot pie. :smile:

OMG, I used to LOVE those Banquet ones as a kid and a few months ago I thought, hmm, I'll have a pot pie. I was so disappointed. :laugh:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You are on a roll today, my dear!

It's what happens after a rest day. :wink:
  • hartmamp
    hartmamp Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Unless you have medical conditions which require some sort of food restriction, you shouldn't cut foods out completely but some people WANT to and everyone just needs to be respectful of that.

What if you DIDN'T have any of those conditions? What if the choice was simply based on what you WANTED to eat?