Clean Eating

Replies

• rgrady33
    rgrady33 Posts: 48 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    If you eat a regular diet it will, for the most part, be a clean diet. I do not eat processed foods, usually, and I cook for myself every day including meal prep for breakfasts and lunches on Sundays. I feel as though most people who eat regular balanced diets eat pretty clean, and if they want to go out and have a burger and a beer then let them.

PS - if you try to do this 100% clean from eating processed or highly refined foods for 8 weeks you will more than likely go stir crazy. Try to do like 75% clean and 25% dirty or something.

What are these dirty foods you speak of?

Unwashed produced. Unwashed hands handling food. Cleaning that up is clean eating I can get behind! Then again, a little grit in my baked potato adds some nice texture. I guess it's dirty eating for me! That, and the dirty beer I wash it down with.

DIRTY!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    I would never eat "clean," but I do eat about 80-90% whole as a side effect of loving to cook. I even make my own pasta.

Meanwhile, I think that people who insist on eating "clean" and attempt to drag others with them should start with some clean, raw, unprocessed cashews.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Why not just eat less calories for 8 weeks.

^^^this^^^

I ate pizza, doritos, ice cream, and sanchos this weekend and I drank some bourbon. I logged another 2.2 lbs down this morning. Down 23 so far. Eating clean is not in my vocabulary. If you aren't enjoying the journey, you are bound to yo-yo again. The secret is just not consuming more than your body needs. The secret does NOT include putting yourself through hell.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    giphy-5_zpsa54abf76.gif
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    edited November 2014
    Two things that concern me:

1. You have more than one stomach
    2. Where can you find meat in a box, that sounds like some crazy *kitten*
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    ken_m wrote: »

Does shake and bake come in a box?

• I am no longer reading this posts or replying to this board. I am utterly discouraged by the feedback presented in this discussion board.

This post was never meant to be a discussion over who is correct or what is right.

It was about My choice and my decision.

I asked for others who are trying the same program to add me. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I am no longer reading this posts or replying to this board. I am utterly discouraged by the feedback presented in this discussion board.

This post was never meant to be a discussion over who is correct or what is right.

I asked for others who are trying the same program to add me. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is an internet discussion forum. It's meant for discussion. You will never be able to control what people post as part of the discussion. People can disagree. It's really ok.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    1) No burgers -- I buy pastured beef from a local farm, some I buy ground. Why is that unclean? I don't even usually eat it on a bun (personal preference, not because I think buns are unclean). Same re sausages.

Oh, I also sometimes drink diet coke. Guess I could switch to all coffee all the time, since that doesn't seem to count as "unclean" ('cause it's unprocessed?) and has even more caffeine.

2) Max of 1 TBSP of refined sugar a day -- I don't feel like counting, but I usually only have some if I have ice cream, which no doubt is unclean anyway, right? I do make other exceptions, though, depending. I see no reason to eliminate homemade pie from my diet, for example, especially since it's only offered to me rarely or if I bother to bake it, which usually requires a holiday (and I think some might be coming up, I dunno).

3) I typically cook my own meals for breakfast and dinner, why is lunch special? Anyway, I've been cooking lunch but decided not to today. The place I will probably buy lunch from uses similar ingredients to those I would, though--my issue is that it's a waste of money, not different food. Why is this unclean? Also, if I'm invited for dinner at one of those places that list the farms they get produce from and claim to be all local and blah, blah (which I actually love, because I'm annoying like that), should I refuse to go because I'm trying to be "clean"? Again, why would that food be dirty? (Because the people who run it are often kind of crunchy, you mean?)

4) Why does the portion I eat or the number of meals I eat make my food "clean" or "unclean"? I like eating 3 meals, so I guess I'm just a dirty girl (somehow I thought it would require something more interesting to get that label, but if eating 3 meals does it, eh).

5) I am confused here, because I thought I did eat whole foods, mostly, but the advise seems to be telling me to eat stuff in cans and jars, pre packaged bread (so long as it's "brown"--which might not even mean whole grain), and "lean meats" (which could mean I'm ditching a good cut available from the farm I purchase from in favor of some extremely processed skinless, boneless chicken breast).

Overall, there seems to be a confusion here between what is lowest calorie and what is least processed, which is not always the same thing. Depending on the circumstances, I sometimes prefer fewer calories (lowfat yogurt, say) and sometimes not (I also like full fat dairy). Also, some odd addition of pointless, outdated diet advise about eating lots of irritating mini meals, which has nothing to do with anything.

I am not just trying to be a pain, I really would love for these questions to be addressed.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    I only adddd the photo
    As of today I am doing the above but an 8 week challenge.

I am hoping I can find others who are trying clean eating.

I premade all of my breakfasts, snacks and lunches for the week and bought the meat and veggies for every day to ensure I do not open a box at dinner time.

I need to make a change!

I dislike your pic defining "clean eating" (even though its pretty much how I eat), but I do have to applaud you for actually having a plan for making a change to your diet. That's rare for the clean eating bandwagon. Eating less meals out of a box, and more perishable foods is always a good idea. :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    How would coffee be clean? Even if you buy whole beans, aren't they roasted? I've never see raw coffee for sale.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    I am no longer reading this posts or replying to this board. I am utterly discouraged by the feedback presented in this discussion board.

dont be so sensitive.

hows your weight loss going without doing the "clean eating challenge"?

if it's going well, why change anything?
    if it's not, i can assure you that it's not eating "dirty" that is the problem.
    what do you think is going to happen by doing this challenge for 8 weeks?
    i am legitimately curious.
  • moremuffins
    moremuffins Posts: 46 Member

If this is what you are looking for why not browse the groups and find one that focuses on what you define as "clean" eating?

If you post about a controversial subject on the main forum you are going to get a lot of discussion, some of which you will not like.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    I would totally be into doing this, My one problem food will be greek yogurt. I just bought a whole bunch of them to get me through the week ...

otherwise, my fridge is full of clean foods - picked up a whole bunch of broccoli crowns (99Cents a lb) - and a head of cauliflower, and some acorn squash, and a butternut squash ... and, I have some lamb meat, and pork tenderloin, and some grassfed beef ... and a whole bunch of different cheeses. Wegman's has the best cheese department ever... :)

• ken_m wrote: »

Really, this is ok?

Lots of food comes out of a box where additives and artificial colours and flavours are added.

I do not eat shake and bake. I add basil and oregano that I purchase from the farmers market.
    I do not drink pop at all.
    I do not add sugar to my coffee or eat lunches from lean cuisine.

I choose to make my own meals from the produce I buy or the meat that I purchase.

Again, MY CHOICE.

• I new to MFP. I was not aware of the controversial nature of this post.

I am just starting out. I joined last week.

Today I wish I never did.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    cooking from whole ingrediants helps to not eat processed foods...

For instance, I cooked dinner last night, I sauteed onion, radishes, and broccoli in a mix of coconut oil and ghee. I added ground pork.

My problem with the dish came when I added bottled mustard. - If I had made mustard with the spices and vinegar it would have remained clean - but, the packaged version with possible added chemicals instead of natural 'understandable' ingrediants become a fail.
    -
    Eating 100% clean is hard for this reason (for me). I'm lazy to make my own sauces, sometimes - and relying on store-bought mustard, mayo, or ketchup, or other sauces allows us to take in added refined sugars, corn syrups or other types of chemicals that clean eaters like to stay away from.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    I new to MFP. I was not aware of the controversial nature of this post.

its always best to do some reading before posting.

no need to regret joining.

just take it as a lesson for the future. this is a public forum, so while you may not necessarily have WANTED opinions, chances are good youre going to get them - regardless of the subject matter.

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member

It's not that big a deal. Just don't revisit the thread and you won't have to see the replies anymore. I just think people are trying to open your eyes (especially a person who says they are new to the site) to realize that eating with limitations isn't the end all be all of weight loss.

I would especially recommend to you to just focus on your calories and not what foods you are eating. Take small steps, and then once those because second nature to you, then you can run, metaphorically speaking.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

It's not that big a deal. Just don't revisit the thread and you won't have to see the replies anymore. I just think people are trying to open your eyes (especially a person who says they are new to the site) to realize that eating with limitations isn't the end all be all of weight loss.

I would especially recommend to you to just focus on your calories and not what foods you are eating. Take small steps, and then once those because second nature to you, then you can run, metaphorically speaking.

I agree although nutritious foods can help easily with the calorie deficit. Mind as well kind of attack both issues.