Living in the city of thin people

Options

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I live in Toronto (...)
    I'm sorry.

Say hi to Rob Ford for me though. Dude knows how to party.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    He ain't skinny though....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Yes, I'm fairly sure that the average woman in England is heavier than the average woman in TO. The average American woman is a size 14 I think; IDK what the average size is exactly in England. The US has some skinny-mini locations, like Seattle, but here in the South where I live, not so much lol.

The average size for a woman in the uk is a 16 apparently. so a US 12?
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sheesh people...again, it was just an observation. Not a scientific study, not a personal criticism, just a general observation. It's happened to me lots of times. After living in France for several years, I came back to the U.S. and the first thing I noticed was how many fat people there were. Now I live in a big city in the U.S. Granted there are lots of fat people here, but I've noticed that when I go to rural areas, practically everyone is fat, especially children. General observation, no judgement...certainly not based on scientific studies...

Yes, we all understand that OP made an observation. But this observation is inaccurate.

When talking about sizes, it is not a matter of taste or preference or anything subjective: geometry, volumes and masses can be measured.

OP's observation is factually wrong.

I lived in T.O. for many years in the last decade (lived on Clarence Square, worked on Bay St., for reference) and there is no way in hell a 5'6 woman with a 25 inches waist would be bigger ("big boned") than the average Torontonian. Even in comparison to the Downtown / Q. West / Yorkville crowd.

No way ... unless she has a "selective" vision and only sees model-like figures. Or alternatively, has a distorted view of her own size.

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I completely get what the OP is alluding to. I moved about 3 years ago to a suburb about 5 miles north of where I used to live, and I definitely notice the difference in body shapes/sizes. It all comes down to socioeconomic and cultural factors.

Where I used to live was quite diverse. Where I live now, it's not as diverse and there are loads of wealthy married couples, where there is a higher proportion of wives who don't have full time jobs. I guess a higher proportion of these women (not the men though!!) are invested in their health and have the opportunity to do something about it. I used to feel that my (bigger) size was not welcomed, although I recognize much of that was in my head. Perhaps that contributed in some small way to my actually shifting the lard? It's a fact that we are affected by the social norms of what we see around us, even if we understand that it's not important.

The comments on China are interesting. I felt like an elephant when I went there on business, but fitted right in in the US! I guess now, I might actually find clothes to fit me in China!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I spend a month in Hong Kong once. I was a giant and couldn't buy clothing there.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Sheesh people...again, it was just an observation. Not a scientific study, not a personal criticism, just a general observation. It's happened to me lots of times. After living in France for several years, I came back to the U.S. and the first thing I noticed was how many fat people there were. Now I live in a big city in the U.S. Granted there are lots of fat people here, but I've noticed that when I go to rural areas, practically everyone is fat, especially children. General observation, no judgement...certainly not based on scientific studies...

I'm not sure the OP was just making an observation, humble bragging or looking for validation that she's one of the thin ones, truly.

But YOUR point I have no problem with. Observing the differences, and even pontificating why they are, isn't an issue for me at all. I still remember moving to NYC for university and coming back to my Maryland suburban neighborhood and being shocked at how fat most people were in comparison to my new normal in Manhattan.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I opened this with the assumption that it was about Los Angeles (backing out of thread). :|
    I find it funny when people say that about LA. I'm like, have you ever really been to LA? By and large, they are just as large as people from other areas I've been.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I opened this with the assumption that it was about Los Angeles (backing out of thread). :|
    I find it funny when people say that about LA. I'm like, have you ever really been to LA? By and large, they are just as large as people from other areas I've been.

Denver people are smaller. :D;)
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When traveling abroad a general rule is that if there is a white person and they are fat they area almost always either American or German.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me when I go to the Asian supermarket. But I know I'm healthy, they just happen to be really teeny. Don't stress about it since you're perfectly normal and you know it.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    *scratches head*
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I'm not sure the OP was just making an observation, humble bragging or looking for validation that she's one of the thin ones, truly.

But YOUR point I have no problem with. Observing the differences, and even pontificating why they are, isn't an issue for me at all. I still remember moving to NYC for university and coming back to my Maryland suburban neighborhood and being shocked at how fat most people were in comparison to my new normal in Manhattan.

Funny...I live in a Maryland suburban neighborhood and before I was working full time I saw a lot of super skinny middle aged moms everywhere, especially around mid-morning at the gym! LOL
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Denver people are smaller. :D;)
    I wonder how much longer that will hold. What, with you all getting the munchies :p
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    5'9", 152, 29 inch waist and totally considering moving to Toronto just so I can be the giant amazonian in the room. *imagines screams of GODZILLA!!!! every time I walk outside*
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I live in Toronto, which is a city of very thin women. There are a lot of Chinese girls who are absolutely teeny-tiny. The rest of us aren't far behind. Seriously, walking down super-fashionable Queen West, nobody is over a size 8. I'm 5'6 131 lbs, 25 inch waist, and always feel big boned, even though I know I probably look the same as everyone else. I went to London, UK and the girls were much heavier in general than Toronto girls. Does this happen to anyone else?

https://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/Toronto Public Health/Performance & Standards/Health Surveillance and Epidemiology/Files/pdf/Surveillance Indicators/Overweight and Obesity_2014.pdf

According to the above, as of 2012 32% of adults in Toronto were overweight and 12% obese.

Do they all live in a Fat Ghetto, sequestered away from all the super thin people? I guess London just likes to let their fats roam free?

I lol'd.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Where I live there are really tiny insects called ants. Gosh, I feel so huge and big boned. Does anyone else feel that way?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Maybe she was in Toronto's Chinatown? Don't to go Japan, size 0 is like medium
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Toronto is far from thin.maybe you are just seeing THIN. when really it is FAT.