If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    People who live in places with infrequent tornado watch/warnings tend to wig out a bit when they hear the word "tornado." It's understandable. Try to chill out. It's very unlikely that you'll be sucked up in a tornado.

I grew up where tornado watches and warnings were so common that I don't even know which one meant a tornado might form and which one meant they actually saw at least one tornado. Didn't matter, I always did the same thing: Nothing.

I was near a tornado once. Believe me, when they get close, you know something is up. It's not just creepy weather, with the weird sky and clouds. You just know. People know. Animals know. You can almost feel it in your skin...you become very aware of something awesome, weather-wise.

We didn't even have a TV or radio on and we knew.

When it's real, it's different. Promise.

So don't worry. :)

I really really really appreciate this! Thank you!
    We have senses beyond the big 5 we talk about. If you listen to how you feel, you can learn a lot.

I remember a time I was almost struck by lightning. It arced by and landed feet from me but one story down. I'm wonderfully hairy, like the wolfman mated with yogi bear. My arm hair went on end a good 10 seconds or so before the strike. I felt like I was going to get in a fight or puke right before it happened. Then BOOM.

Sticking around this trainwreck of a thread was worth it just for your description of I'm wonderfully hairy, like the wolfman mated with yogi bear.

One of these years, I'm totally going to shave a bit and rock the Connery zardoz outfit.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I've never lived in an area with tornados before, and I accidentally drove near a tornado, so yeah, now I'm pretty scared anytime the possibility occurs.
    People who live in places with infrequent tornado watch/warnings tend to wig out a bit when they hear the word "tornado." It's understandable. Try to chill out. It's very unlikely that you'll be sucked up in a tornado.

I grew up where tornado watches and warnings were so common that I don't even know which one meant a tornado might form and which one meant they actually saw at least one tornado. Didn't matter, I always did the same thing: Nothing.

I was near a tornado once. Believe me, when they get close, you know something is up. It's not just creepy weather, with the weird sky and clouds. You just know. People know. Animals know. You can almost feel it in your skin...you become very aware of something awesome, weather-wise.

I am a weather forecaster, and I have to say that not all of this is accurate. I have heard a lot of accounts of people that survived tornadoes, and in a lot of cases they were caught off guard. Or, by the time they knew it was coming, they barely had time to seek shelter. While I agree that the odds of actually being hit by a tornado are very low, it does not mean one should just sit back and not pay any attention when a tornado watch or warning is issued. You would be amazed at the number of accounts I've heard in which the victim has said something like, "I hear about tornadoes all the time, but never thought it would happen to me". Panicking is not going to do any good, but that's different from taking necessary precautions just in case.

All one simply needs to do if a tornado watch is issued is have a way to be notified in case a tornado warning is issued. If a tornado warning is issued, then one should be in a closed structure away from windows, preferably on the lowest level of a building if possible.

Also, some weaker tornadoes can strike with little warning. Meaning, a line of thunderstorms can race through, and a tornado could quickly spin up within the line. In these instances, you're probably not going to "feel" it coming, as you say.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Charlottesometimes, I was talking about new restaurants being established in Melbourne at the time and you replied that you believed we need greater scientific literacy.

Scientific literacy - crikey, you can't eat that when you're hungry. :)

Lol....you were talking about Paleo restaurants, silly uninformed celebs and the move to paleo style eating as if it was the be all and end all to healthful eating, which is so very wrong. People jump on that bandwagon because they don't really understand nutrition and human physiology, which is a shame. You don't need to cut out grains and dairy if you don't have a specific medical problem such as coeliac disease. It's also a shame that they would prefer to listen to uninformed celebs than people who have spent many years of education and professional practice, and understand how to critically review all of the evidence.

Remember, you brought up how Australians were changing to a better way of eating, evidenced by paleo restaurants, uninformed celebs who pass themselves off as experts, and the like.

I was embarrassed and trying to defend some of my my fellow Australians as being a little smarter and discerning, and suggesting some education for the Pete followers. ;)

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    All one simply needs to do if a tornado watch is issued is have a way to be notified in case a tornado warning is issued. If a tornado warning is issued, then one should be in a closed structure away from windows, preferably on the lowest level of a building if possible.

I'm honestly not sure how to be notified -- I have an app on my phone but it goes off all night long for flood warnings, and I'm not in a flood zone. I check the computer every 15 minutes but I'd really like to get some sleep! Is there any device or app I should use that will let me select just tornado warnings?

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Deirdre, we don't have tornadoes here. It must be quite scary at times. Where do you go if a tornado hits?

Charlotte, I gave up defending my fellow Australians years ago. You just have to go to Bali and you will see some dreadful behaviour at times and their eating habits and idols seem to revolve around alcohol. Fun loving and gorgeous people but at times not too bright. :)

Actually, I really don't mind Pete. I think if he can get people discussion nutrition then it is a good thing.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I've never lived in an area with tornados before, and I accidentally drove near a tornado, so yeah, now I'm pretty scared anytime the possibility occurs.

I am a weather forecaster, and I have to say that not all of this is accurate. I have heard a lot of accounts of people that survived tornadoes, and in a lot of cases they were caught off guard. Or, by the time they knew it was coming, they barely had time to seek shelter. While I agree that the odds of actually being hit by a tornado are very low, it does not mean one should just sit back and not pay any attention when a tornado watch or warning is issued. You would be amazed at the number of accounts I've heard in which the victim has said something like, "I hear about tornadoes all the time, but never thought it would happen to me". Panicking is not going to do any good, but that's different from taking necessary precautions just in case.

Also, some weaker tornadoes can strike with little warning. Meaning, a line of thunderstorms can race through, and a tornado could quickly spin up within the line. In these instances, you're probably not going to "feel" it coming, as you say.
    You'd certainly know more than I do!

We just had too many of those tornado watches and warnings to spend that much time worrying about them. Since I lived with that as part of normal life, I don't wig out where I live now when there is one. Other people do. I get it.

I do know that ours - you knew something was coming. I said later that I could feel it in my skin and everyone agreed. We'd seen lots of skies with creepiness, but there was something awesome...I don't know. Lots of times before, I'd thought, "Ooh, maybe tornado! Sky looks creepy! Maybe this is what it's like!" But when it was real, I KNEW. I didn't wonder. Everyone knew.

Except the birds. The birds were trying to fly and getting tossed around in the air. It was very weird to see the birds getting zipped about. But that was enough. I didn't intend to become one of those birds. It was time to hide and pray. :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Charlotte, I gave up defending my fellow Australians years ago. You just have to go to Bali and you will see some dreadful behaviour at times and their eating habits and idols seem to revolve around alcohol. Fun loving and gorgeous people but at times not too bright. :)
    Wow, I've seen a lot of screwed up statements in this forum. This takes the cake though.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    TheRealKit wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Wrong because you can always control your weight through diet no matter how little exercise you do
    –Just because you can does not mean you should. Dieting without exercising is IMO a path to disordered eating...
    which makes diet the primary component for success.
    Again I respectfully disagree...
    You can't out-exercise any diet, which makes exercise a secondary component for success.
    Not true. Again, I said within reason. That said, the physical adaptations one experiences from exercise change the game with which the body utilizes calories which again IMO, makes exercise the primary component...
    Of course people who exercise some have a higher rate of success because they have more leeway in their diet. No argument there.
    –Agreed. More leeway means better compliance which means better success...
    Well, OK. Then what exactly does daily exercise mean to you?
    –Something as simple as long walks, hikes, playing with kids to as intense as a marathon or intense weight lifting. It means being active every day. The more advanced society becomes, the lazier IMO we become.

Daily exercise is not necessary to keep weight off.
    –Absolutely disagree. Again, just because you can does not mean you should. Why make it harder on yourself by excluding something you should be doing anyway.

Clearly we're going to disagree on this one, but the notion that losing your weight solely through dieting is a path to disordered eating is just nuts to me. That's exactly how plenty of other people on this site lost their weight. I almost count among this group, except that I was doing slo-fit at the time 1x per wk (so you can figure <100 cals burned). Other than that, I had a desk job. No disordered eating here, unless you count logging. Even that gets dropped on occasion (vacations, holidays, just plain inconvenient).

And frankly, I don't see why you 'should' be exercising 7 days a week. It certainly isn't necessary for health or for weight maintenance. Many don't have to exercise at all and can be healthy and maintain their weight if they watch their diet.

Is it better to exercise? Sure. Always better to be stronger, more flexible, have more endurance, etc. But you can do those things 3, 4 or 5 days a week with at least equal results as someone exercising 7 days a week. And if you're working at high intensity, those days off become important.

Exercise is certainly not necessary for weight loss, or maintenance. There are plenty of people that are unable to exercise due to medical conditions, but they can still lose, or maintain a healthy weight through diet alone. Exercising alone won't do anything to help weight unless you also monitor intake, whether by calorie counting, or other methods. Calories in vs calories out still applies. You SHOULD exercise for optimal health, of course, but again, it's not NECESSARY for weight control. And it's certainly not NECESSARY to exercise EVERY day.

Daily physical activity is the foundation of energy balance...

Physical activity is necessary to help prevent muscle atrophy. Even if it isn't necessary to exercise daily , it is necessary to move your body in some way or another. Regardless if you are bed bound or chair bound, your muscle need to be used . Losing weight doesn't always mean it will improve health. Attempting to be active in any way possible increases the possibilities for better health and to prevent healthy decline.

There's a difference between actual exercise and "moving your body around."
  • fatcity66
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Wrong because you can always control your weight through diet no matter how little exercise you do
    –Just because you can does not mean you should. Dieting without exercising is IMO a path to disordered eating...
    which makes diet the primary component for success.
    Again I respectfully disagree...
    You can't out-exercise any diet, which makes exercise a secondary component for success.
    Not true. Again, I said within reason. That said, the physical adaptations one experiences from exercise change the game with which the body utilizes calories which again IMO, makes exercise the primary component...
    Of course people who exercise some have a higher rate of success because they have more leeway in their diet. No argument there.
    –Agreed. More leeway means better compliance which means better success...
    Well, OK. Then what exactly does daily exercise mean to you?
    –Something as simple as long walks, hikes, playing with kids to as intense as a marathon or intense weight lifting. It means being active every day. The more advanced society becomes, the lazier IMO we become.

Daily exercise is not necessary to keep weight off.
    –Absolutely disagree. Again, just because you can does not mean you should. Why make it harder on yourself by excluding something you should be doing anyway.

Clearly we're going to disagree on this one, but the notion that losing your weight solely through dieting is a path to disordered eating is just nuts to me. That's exactly how plenty of other people on this site lost their weight. I almost count among this group, except that I was doing slo-fit at the time 1x per wk (so you can figure <100 cals burned). Other than that, I had a desk job. No disordered eating here, unless you count logging. Even that gets dropped on occasion (vacations, holidays, just plain inconvenient).

And frankly, I don't see why you 'should' be exercising 7 days a week. It certainly isn't necessary for health or for weight maintenance. Many don't have to exercise at all and can be healthy and maintain their weight if they watch their diet.

Is it better to exercise? Sure. Always better to be stronger, more flexible, have more endurance, etc. But you can do those things 3, 4 or 5 days a week with at least equal results as someone exercising 7 days a week. And if you're working at high intensity, those days off become important.

Exercise is certainly not necessary for weight loss, or maintenance. There are plenty of people that are unable to exercise due to medical conditions, but they can still lose, or maintain a healthy weight through diet alone. Exercising alone won't do anything to help weight unless you also monitor intake, whether by calorie counting, or other methods. Calories in vs calories out still applies. You SHOULD exercise for optimal health, of course, but again, it's not NECESSARY for weight control. And it's certainly not NECESSARY to exercise EVERY day.

Daily physical activity is the foundation of energy balance...

So, you can't have a negative energy balance without exercise?
  • dbmata
    Options
    You really just asked that? >_<
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    'scratches head' are we talking about deficits or chakras?
  • ilikethisname
    Options
    the carbs and crap in the food actually make you crave more of it, it is a vicious cycle.

I agree with this. I crave carbs and sugar and yes it is difficult to not eat it. And yes it does make me feel less than great when I eat deep fried stuff. There is no moderation because when you eat it you crave more. The only way is to cut it out almost entirely.
  • dbmata
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    'scratches head' are we talking about deficits or chakras?

who knows anymore, all I know is that it sounds silly and unreasonable...

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've seen a lot of screwed up statements in this forum. This takes the cake though.

Beginning to think she's my mother-in-law.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Sounds like what it must be like for people who get hangovers. They know they will feel like crap the next day but they still drink. I am very lucky and I don't get hangovers. I also don't get sick from eating crap, which isn't so lucky.
  • dbmata
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

Wow, sorry your m-i-l is like that. I wouldn't be able to handle that...
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Deirdre, we don't have tornadoes here. It must be quite scary at times. Where do you go if a tornado hits?

Actually, I really don't mind Pete. I think if he can get people discussion nutrition then it is a good thing.

I've been to Bali many times LeenaGee. It's not just the Aussies of course, but there are certainly more of them because of our proximity. Drinking and partying and playing up is what young people tend to do, Aussie, Kiwi, Brit etc...

I don't believe that you were painting a very balanced picture of what was going on in our country nutrition-wise. Change for the better evidenced by Paleo cafes and silly Pete is embarrassing. Most of us are a lot more discerning.

I think Pete's a good chef, but a poor advocate for healthy eating because he's caught up in the paleo cult and he simply doesn't have the knowledge to see that healthy eating doesn't need to involve cutting out food groups and defending it as the only way.

A funny thing, they briefly advertised bulletproof coffee in the little coffee shop near the health institute at the university where I work. Their custom plummeted and it was very quickly removed from the menu.

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

Wow, sorry your m-i-l is like that. I wouldn't be able to handle that...
    [/quote]
    Lives on the other side of Aus :)
  • fatcity66
    Options
    You really just asked that? >_<

Are you talking to me?
    If so, it was a rhetorical question.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    It's engineered to come as close to addictive as a food can possibly get, people usually don't make deliberate efforts to avoid marketing that claims it's cheap, and it wins out over most healthy foods on the convenience factor.

That first part is the only thing out of people's control. Cutting out live television and adding a decent tracker blocker to your web browser will do wonders. Why sit through ads for rubbish when you can go straight to what you really want to see? Yes, a decent blocker will get rid of those annoying Youtube ads. Save money by cooking things ahead of time and make your healthy choices the easiest and fastest choices you have and blow what you saved on things that make you feel irresponsible.