If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Yes, no-one said diet was the only factor in obesity, of course inactivity is too. and no one said obesity, caused largely by diet, ie consuming an excess amount of calories, is the only factor in heart disease (in fact i made a point of saying it was not the only factor.)
    Nevertheless it is a very significant factor and it is a factor over which we have control - we cannot control our genetics or our gender - but we can control our weight.

I would argue that obesity is less about diet and more about inactivity. No matter what diet you choose, you have to exercise daily in order to have success in the longterm. You can out-train a caloric surplus (within reason) but your body will not allow you to diet yourself to death...

You can argue it, but that doesn't make you right. You don't have to exercise daily for long term success. While those who exercise have a higher rate of long term success than those who don't, there are still those with long term success who don't exercise at all. There are also a large number of people who successfully keep their weight down long term who exercise, but not daily.

And the "your body will not allow you to diet yourself to death" ... really. Have you heard of anorexia? You're aware that people do indeed die from it? And malnutrition? People have died from that while dieting, too, though it's much more unusual.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    zachbonner wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    hahaha, just started watching that show.

I'm jealous that you get to see episodes for the first time. You *kitten*.

It's not bad. No brazzers, but not bad.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if we put toxic chicken lady, freelee the banana girl, the skinny stealther and RGv2 in the same room?

Can we add "baking soda is toxic" lady and "fabulous liver from essential oils" lady?
  • dbmata
    Options
    I wonder what would happen if we put toxic chicken lady, freelee the banana girl, the skinny stealther and RGv2 in the same room?

You saw brokeback mountain, right?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Can we add "baking soda is toxic" lady and "fabulous liver from essential oils" lady?

Yes, yes I think that would add to the dynamic.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

You saw brokeback mountain, right?

>:)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Yes, no-one said diet was the only factor in obesity, of course inactivity is too. and no one said obesity, caused largely by diet, ie consuming an excess amount of calories, is the only factor in heart disease (in fact i made a point of saying it was not the only factor.)
    Nevertheless it is a very significant factor and it is a factor over which we have control - we cannot control our genetics or our gender - but we can control our weight.

I would argue that obesity is less about diet and more about inactivity. No matter what diet you choose, you have to exercise daily in order to have success in the longterm. You can out-train a caloric surplus (within reason) but your body will not allow you to diet yourself to death...

You can argue it, but that doesn't make you right. You don't have to exercise daily for long term success. While those who exercise have a higher rate of long term success than those who don't, there are still those with long term success who don't exercise at all. There are also a large number of people who successfully keep their weight down long term who exercise, but not daily.

And the "your body will not allow you to diet yourself to death" ... really. Have you heard of anorexia? You're aware that people do indeed die from it? And malnutrition? People have died from that while dieting, too, though it's much more unusual.

So those who exercise have a higher rate of success... and I am wrong how? I think you're getting hung up on the word daily. It does not mean hitting the gym 7 days week for grueling workout sessions...

As far as "your body will not allow you to diet yourself to death"... I guess I phrased it poorly. I think when people put too much focus on diet and not enough on daily exercise they can run the risk of disordered eating with death being the worst consequence of all. The mindset of, "I have to lose weight so I will go on this diet or that diet, or I will exclude this food or that food." I think if people just started daily exercise first before they even tinker with what or how much they are eating (which of course they should eventually do) they would be so much better off.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I wish that were true but people die from anorexia all the time.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Niemom wrote: »
    Hello Catsheep. I know of some all natural products that could help you with these cravings/habits. I went from eating ice cream nightly to eating it occasionally. That was a huge change for me. Shoot me an email and we can discuss it further. nieniemom68.hz@gmail.com
    Looking forward to sharing some amazing products with you.

Thanks,
    Hoppe

Flagged for spam.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Bloody spammer! No one wants your overpriced crap "amazing products!" The only amazing products we need are nutritious healthy foods.
  • J72FIT
    Options

I wish that were true but people die from anorexia all the time.

I addressed that in the comment above. Like I said, I probably phrased it poorly.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I bet there is an essential oil that will fix this.

Maybe Calorie Thief mix.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Oil pulling will address the inflammation. Really.
  • stealthq
    Options

So those who exercise have a higher rate of success... and I am wrong how? I think you're getting hung up on the word daily. It does not mean hitting the gym 7 days week for grueling workout sessions...

As far as "your body will not allow you to diet yourself to death"... I guess I phrased it poorly. I think when people put too much focus on diet and not enough on daily exercise they can run the risk of disordered eating with death being the worst consequence of all. The mindset of, "I have to lose weight so I will go on this diet or that diet, or I will exclude this food or that food." I think if people just started daily exercise first before they even tinker with what or how much they are eating (which of course they should eventually do) they would be so much better off.

Wrong because you can always control your weight through diet no matter how little exercise you do - which makes diet the primary component for success. You can't out-exercise any diet, which makes exercise a secondary component for success.

Of course people who exercise some have a higher rate of success because they have more leeway in their diet. No argument there.

Well, OK. Then what exactly does daily exercise mean to you? To me it means getting some kind of deliberate exercise in 7 days a week - doesn't have to be a gym, could be a walk or similar. I wasn't really thinking of 'killing it in the gym'. There are still plenty of people on this site that have had long term success only doing 3-4 days of deliberate exercise. Some that have long term success with no regular deliberate exercise. Daily exercise is not necessary to keep weight off.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Wrong because you can always control your weight through diet no matter how little exercise you do - which makes diet the primary component for success. You can't out-exercise any diet, which makes exercise a secondary component for success.

Of course people who exercise some have a higher rate of success because they have more leeway in their diet. No argument there.

Well, OK. Then what exactly does daily exercise mean to you? To me it means getting some kind of deliberate exercise in 7 days a week - doesn't have to be a gym, could be a walk or similar. I wasn't really thinking of 'killing it in the gym'. There are still plenty of people on this site that have had long term success only doing 3-4 days of deliberate exercise. Some that have long term success with no regular deliberate exercise. Daily exercise is not necessary to keep weight off.

I respectfully disagree...

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think the combination of sugar, fat, and flour does to my brain what drugs or alcohol does for addicts. I've smoked cigarettes in the past and I've been addicted to cigarettes in the sense that I've craved them, and it was hard to kick the habit, but those cravings were nothing like my cravings for sweet foods.

Hmm, interesting.

I'm skeptical that it's actually related to the physical properties of the food--there's just so much variation and sugar and fat seems okay in some ways but not others for people who have trigger foods--but I do think that eating disordered behavior is analogous to addiction in lots of ways. It's just that it's more a food addiction or pattern (binging or the like) rather than an actual physical response to, say, sugar, as the current popular "sugar is just like crack" stuff would have it.

But whenever I read about or hear people talking about binging disorders, it does sound a LOT like my experience with booze. And I am enormously grateful that although I've misused food from time to time (stress eating and the like) that I don't have those tendencies with it or really know what binging is like.

And I know that acknowledging a lack of control around something -- if done properly -- doesn't mean that you are making excuses or claiming no responsibility for your choices. So good for you doing what you need to do.
  • stealthq
    Options

I respectfully disagree...

With part or all of it?
  • dbmata
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm skeptical that it's actually related to the physical properties of the food--there's just so much variation and sugar and fat seems okay in some ways but not others for people who have trigger foods--but I do think that eating disordered behavior is analogous to addiction in lots of ways.
    What if it's not due to the intake and digestion of the sugar/fat/flour, but of how the person regards them in their mind?

What if it were wholly psychosomatic?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If that were true, it seems like it would be a helpful thing to know. If I were currently struggling with a perceived lack of control over something, I'd want to understand as well as I could the underlying reasons.

I do think that believing you can't control yourself after ingesting something causes that to be true (or even more true).
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yeah. I can agree with that.

Just throwing that thought out there, I've seen nothing to ever indicate that it is probable, but it would be interesting, no?