If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Where do you go if a tornado hits?

When I was a kid we lived for a while in Oklahoma and didn't have a basement, so we always went over to my next-door neighbors to go in their basement. You are supposed to do that, if possible (the basement, not bug your neighbors).

Later we lived for a while in Alaska, which has earthquakes rather than tornados, and the first time one came my mother freaked out and had us all go into the basement that we now had (which is of course not what you are to do).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Earthquakes scare the bejeezus out of me. Could not live in California.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I think you just get used to whatever you live with. earthquakes don't worry me, but I would be frightened of a tornado or hurricane.

• Kalikel
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

I think you just get used to whatever you live with. earthquakes don't worry me, but I would be frightened of a tornado or hurricane.
    Agreed. :)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    All one simply needs to do if a tornado watch is issued is have a way to be notified in case a tornado warning is issued. If a tornado warning is issued, then one should be in a closed structure away from windows, preferably on the lowest level of a building if possible.

I'm honestly not sure how to be notified -- I have an app on my phone but it goes off all night long for flood warnings, and I'm not in a flood zone. I check the computer every 15 minutes but I'd really like to get some sleep! Is there any device or app I should use that will let me select just tornado warnings?

That is a great question. Do the alerts on your phone cover only your county or other areas? The NWS offers a free mobile app that can be used to receive various types of alerts http://inws.wrh.noaa.gov/. They do allow you to select different categories of alerts, but I'm not sure if flood advisories would be in the category with other severe weather. Another option would be a NOAA weather radio; you would want one with S.A.M.E technology, which allows you to select specific alerts for a specific county.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

I will punch the earth into submission... wind though? No, that's the devil.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I moved to CA nine years ago and hardly blink any more at earthquakes. I remember we had a couple in a row at night a few years ago and for the first one of those I asked my husband, "was that an earthquake?" and he said "Yes" and we both rolled over and went back to sleep. The other one everybody was buzzing about but I slept through it.

If nothing is crashing in on my head or bursting into flames, I figure I'm good.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sounds like you adjusted quickly. My grandma was driving during northridge. She kept going, she was just out for a drive. She later told me it was like a movie. lol.
  • Kalikel
    edited November 2014
    Options
    How about this...

The earth opens up and swallows people while they're just lying in bed. About a year ago (maybe two), some guy not that far from here was just lying in bed and the earth swallowed him up. It's scary chit.

Mother Nature is not always a nice woman.

I rely on Troy Bridges for my notifications. Troy is the best. He gives us a Haircast every day, with a little Hairometer, green, yellow and red. Green is a good hair day, red is bad, there's a little lever that tells you what kind of day it'll be. That's weather we can use. I LOVE TROY. <3

• dbmata
    Options
    How about this...

The earth opens up and swallows people while they're just lying in bed. About a year ago (maybe two), some guy not that far from here was just lying in bed and the earth swallowed him up. It's scary chit.

I enjoy alpine climbing, although to this point I kinda suck at it.

I have seen many ways first hand how nature has no issues with eating us, for good.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Whoa. This thread took a turn for the better. Didn't think I'd find out so much about tornadoes. Much better than eating trash... Wait. Have we determined what trash is?
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    what happened to dumpster diving and binging on toxic waste?
  • Kalikel
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    How about this...

I enjoy alpine climbing, although to this point I kinda suck at it.

I have seen many ways first hand how nature has no issues with eating us, for good.
    Are you serious? Sound cold. I do not understand mountain climbing. They always use a rope, suspended from above. How does the rope get up there? If they go up there to nail it into the rock, how come they go back down?

I know it has to make sense. I just cannot make sense out of it.

Mother Nature is a fickle beeyatch.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    dbmata, what! Australians behaving badly in Bail is the most screwed up statement in this forum?? Gosh there is even a TV show about it at the moment called "What Really Happens In Bali" so it hardly a radical, new or untrue statement. Actually, not very exciting at all, just a passing comment to Charlotte.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    dbmata, what! Australians behaving badly in Bail is the most screwed up statement in this forum?? Gosh there is even a TV show about it at the moment called "What Really Happens In Bali" so it hardly a radical, new or untrue statement. Actually, not very exciting at all, just a passing comment to Charlotte.

But that show is hardly representative of all Australians in Australia, is it? - which is what you implied in your post.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Now you are simply being ridiculous!! Of course it is not representative of all Australians and I would never imply that. Australians, are in general, amazing people but every country has its idiots. Get over it and move onto something a bit more interesting as I am not at all interested in continuing this stupid conversation.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options

Charlotte, I gave up defending my fellow Australians years ago. You just have to go to Bali and you will see some dreadful behaviour at times and their eating habits and idols seem to revolve around alcohol. Fun loving and gorgeous people but at times not too bright. :)

Why did you post this then?
    What is the relevance of a few Australians in Bali to the thread?
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "food" companies (I use quotes because if it needs to be manufactured, is it really food?) hire chemists whose sole purpose is to figure out how to make foods more addictive. They then hire lobbyists to get ingredients cleared by the FDA.

I try not to eat anything that doesnt come out of the ground or that once walked upon it, in its most natural state. That generally means avoiding anything processed, canned, in boxes...eg: the entire center section of a grocery store.

• Biggirllittledreams
    Options
    My thoughts are that 'trash food' is fine in moderation and your issue is portion control rather than the actual foods.

I totally agree - i think that basically anything is okay in moderation with proper portion sizes - which is why fast food has become so problematic. If we were using junk food and fast food as a quick meal every now and then or a treat, then it would be okay. But the fact that we depend so heavily on so many processed foods/indulge in them so excessively yet view them with such hatred is not only illogical but counterproductive. Gah. We - collectively as a society that is....not most people on MFP - are cultivating a society that has such an unhealthy relationship with food. It's insane!

If you're looking for a literal answer, there are neurological reasons why your body does that, which tie into things like adaptation, lifestyle, and habits.