• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    People come in all shapes and sizes
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    Where I live there are really tiny insects called ants. Gosh, I feel so huge and big boned. Does anyone else feel that way?

YUP

ant_gets_fat_by_footballlover-d6iavyk.png

• FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I live in the capital of China.
    Tell me about it :/
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    Options
    On the other hand, since i moved here i've been in the best shape of my life, before i was a total sloth because a lot of other people were much bigger than me
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Obvious troll is obvious.
    she is not trolling, Asians are generally smaller than caucasians and try living in a place full of very skinny people, even if you are normal weight you feel big.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    she is not trolling, Asians are generally smaller than caucasians and try living in a place full of very skinny people, even if you are normal weight you feel big.

Project much?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Last I checked, the vast majority of people in Canada, including Toronto, are fat fat fat fat fat.

Note: I'm not trying to be politically correct.

I've had a lot of friends from asia, and yes, they are tiny. They're tiny for two reasons: a) genetics, and b) society. they've alaways been thin, that's the way it is there. It's the same reason why anyone in the USA who is a "healthy" weight gets complaints from everyone that she's too skinny. It's the accepted norm in society.

Everyone I've met who came from Asian put in 15 or more pounds (on a 5'6" or frame or smaller, that's a huge amount) and she was still tiny compared to nearly every white girl I know. However, if she went back to Asia, she would be fat compared to everyone else.

If you go to Asia and look for a 34D bra or bigger, you'll never find it, unless you go to a specialty store. They simply don't exist.

Go to Germany, and you'll have a hard time finding a 30B or smaller.

That's one reason why I love living here: You get everything the world has to offer (except the weather) all in one place. The diversity here is amazing. You get short and thin, short and wide, tall and thin, tall and wide, and everything in between, in every skin colour imaginable, all within a 20km radius.

Myself? I'm tall and wide. You'll never see me under 170 lbs, or have a 34 inch waist, even if I went anorexic, and I'm 6'. This girl I'm dating? She's 5'4" and weighs 99 lbs. No, she's not bulimic. She's been trying to gain weight. It's just her genetics. Oh, and she's Filipina.

You'll get everything nearly everywhere. Comparing yourself to a select few that you see in your city is just one way to make yourself feel bad about yourself. If you're not short and skinny, you'll never be short and skinny. That's a fact of life.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    If you want to feel skinny move to Philadelphia. We like our cheesesteaks!
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Ahh, I live near Toronto and have been there on numerous occasions. I do not agree whatsoever with your characterization of the city as being 'thin'. Perhaps you should venture beyond the chic boutiques and visit theatres, museums, markets, etc. (*cough* observation bias *cough*)
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen OP? She seems to be missing
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I live in Toronto, which is a city of very thin women. There are a lot of Chinese girls who are absolutely teeny-tiny. The rest of us aren't far behind. Seriously, walking down super-fashionable Queen West, nobody is over a size 8. I'm 5'6 131 lbs, 25 inch waist, and always feel big boned, even though I know I probably look the same as everyone else. I went to London, UK and the girls were much heavier in general than Toronto girls. Does this happen to anyone else?

https://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/Toronto Public Health/Performance & Standards/Health Surveillance and Epidemiology/Files/pdf/Surveillance Indicators/Overweight and Obesity_2014.pdf

According to the above, as of 2012 32% of adults in Toronto were overweight and 12% obese.

*Do they all live in a Fat Ghetto, sequestered away from all the super thin people? I guess London just likes to let their fats roam free?*

You just won this thread.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I find this fascinating: vizhub.healthdata.org/obesity/

fixed the link, check it out!
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I can't really imagine feeling that way in any Western city (especially as a size 8). However, I definitely felt like that when I was living in South Korea. I was obese when I moved over there, but even at my current weight, I had to buy my clothes in one of the three "Big Size" stores in the foreigner district, couldn't find bras, and had a shoe size that made a few shop owners literally gasp (size 9). One of my thinnest friends always tells the story of an ajumma happily assuring her that she could fit a pair of shorts because they were "Big Size!" She got them home and found that the tag said "XL (Size 0)".

But it is something you have to get used to. I had to really work on my self esteem to be comfortable with myself and stop comparing myself with the women around me. I made a lot of progress in that time and it worked wonders, but I confess, I still got kind of complacent coming back to the USA. Going from fattest person in the room to below average that quickly made my head spin. I felt like I lost 30lbs overnight!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You'll never see me under 170 lbs, or have a 34 inch waist, even if I went anorexic, and I'm 6'. This girl I'm dating?

Dude, that's not how "going anorexic" works. If you were anorexic, and were "successful" at the disease, trust me all 6" wide of you would continue to waste away well below 170lbs and you would eventually get to the point where you'd be literally swimming in a pair of size 34 pants.

You're not a special, extra large snowflake immune to the physiological results of starvation "big guy".

• LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I live in Toronto, which is a city of very thin women. There are a lot of Chinese girls who are absolutely teeny-tiny. The rest of us aren't far behind. Seriously, walking down super-fashionable Queen West, nobody is over a size 8. I'm 5'6 131 lbs, 25 inch waist, and always feel big boned, even though I know I probably look the same as everyone else. I went to London, UK and the girls were much heavier in general than Toronto girls. Does this happen to anyone else?

https://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/Toronto Public Health/Performance & Standards/Health Surveillance and Epidemiology/Files/pdf/Surveillance Indicators/Overweight and Obesity_2014.pdf

According to the above, as of 2012 32% of adults in Toronto were overweight and 12% obese.

That's interesting that the Toronto obesity is much lower than the normal rate for Western countries. One possible reason is the number of recent immigrants, and the average age. Recent immigrants from poorer countries will be thinner and it could take a few decades or so for them to bulk up. Also of course young people are thinner.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Oh, you know her personally?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think the OP was just making an observation. Why are people getting so offended? I've traveled all over the world and I've made similar observations. So what?

I work with a department full of largely over weight and mostly incompetent people.

just making an observation.

shrug some how I'm okay doing it because "I'm just making an observation"

sometimes you just gotta keep it to yourself because in the world of things worth giving a FCK about- this isn't one of those things.

Secondly- holy insecurities batman.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen OP? She seems to be missing

Got skinny and turned sideways
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Last I checked, the vast majority of people in Canada, including Toronto, are fat fat fat fat fat.

Note: I'm not trying to be politically correct.

I've had a lot of friends from asia, and yes, they are tiny. They're tiny for two reasons: a) genetics, and b) society. they've alaways been thin, that's the way it is there. It's the same reason why anyone in the USA who is a "healthy" weight gets complaints from everyone that she's too skinny. It's the accepted norm in society.

Everyone I've met who came from Asian put in 15 or more pounds (on a 5'6" or frame or smaller, that's a huge amount) and she was still tiny compared to nearly every white girl I know. However, if she went back to Asia, she would be fat compared to everyone else.

If you go to Asia and look for a 34D bra or bigger, you'll never find it, unless you go to a specialty store. They simply don't exist.

Go to Germany, and you'll have a hard time finding a 30B or smaller.

That's one reason why I love living here: You get everything the world has to offer (except the weather) all in one place. The diversity here is amazing. You get short and thin, short and wide, tall and thin, tall and wide, and everything in between, in every skin colour imaginable, all within a 20km radius.

Myself? I'm tall and wide. You'll never see me under 170 lbs, or have a 34 inch waist, even if I went anorexic, and I'm 6'. This girl I'm dating? She's 5'4" and weighs 99 lbs. No, she's not bulimic. She's been trying to gain weight. It's just her genetics. Oh, and she's Filipina.

You'll get everything nearly everywhere. Comparing yourself to a select few that you see in your city is just one way to make yourself feel bad about yourself. If you're not short and skinny, you'll never be short and skinny. That's a fact of life.

lol went anorexic and she's not bulemic

inigo-montoya-word-gif.gif
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    At 5'8" and 135 lbs when I was in the Philippines, I had to buy XL t-shirts (which still ended up looking like shrunken 'baby-T's') and never could find pants long enough. I towered over all the tiny Filipinas when walking down the street. I just kept the 'here, I am model-tall' thought in the back of my mind and walked on proudly, lol.