Quit trying to intimidate with big words

1356710

Replies

  • Yep, that's it. This is the dumbest thing I've read all day.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    I'm not sure what bothers me more. The fact this thread exists or that I even took the time to read it.

    Let's keep the personal attacks to a minimum

    [comment redacted after poster remembered that he was in the forums where words like ********** and ************ are frowned upon)
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    edited November 2014
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    I'm not sure what bothers me more. The fact this thread exists or that I even took the time to read it.

    Let's keep the personal attacks to a minimum

    Baiting.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    edited November 2014
    _John_ wrote: »
    Yurippe wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    This post is ambiguous. Can you elaborate on what constitutes a big word?

    Like one poster here likes to throw around french words like "de novo lipogenesis" to get you to give up your argument
    Every time I don't know what something is I google. Wish I hadn't.
    The enzymatic pathway for converting dietary carbohydrate (CHO) into fat, or de novo lipogenesis (DNL), is present in humans, whereas the capacity to convert fats into CHO does not exist. Here, the quantitative importance of DNL in humans is reviewed, focusing on the response to increased intake of dietary CHO. Eucaloric replacement of dietary fat by CHO does not induce hepatic DNL to any substantial degree. Similarly, addition of CHO to a mixed diet does not increase hepatic DNL to quantitatively important levels, as long as CHO energy intake remains less than total energy expenditure (TEE). Instead, dietary CHO replaces fat in the whole-body fuel mixture, even in the post-absorptive state. Body fat is thereby accrued, but the pathway of DNL is not traversed; instead, a coordinated set of metabolic adaptations, including resistance of hepatic glucose production to suppression by insulin, occurs that allows CHO oxidation to increase and match CHO intake. Only when CHO energy intake exceeds TEE does DNL in liver or adipose tissue contribute significantly to the whole-body energy economy. It is concluded that DNL is not the pathway of first resort for added dietary CHO, in humans. Under most dietary conditions, the two major macronutrient energy sources (CHO and fat) are therefore not interconvertible currencies; CHO and fat have independent, though interacting, economies and independent regulation. The metabolic mechanisms and physiologic implications of the functional block between CHO and fat in humans are discussed, but require further investigation.

    Telling people that isocaloric diets that contain a higher % of carbohydrates absolutely do not cause more fat gain would be counter to the sugar is the debbil hypothesis so many scientists and users promote here...

    Thank you for the translation. I got bored after the first sentence.

  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    I'm not sure what bothers me more. The fact this thread exists or that I even took the time to read it.

    Let's keep the personal attacks to a minimum

    Baiting.

    I'm a master. Hi.
  • La_Malfaisante
    La_Malfaisante Posts: 1,509 Member
    _John_ wrote: »
    JeffMeehan wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    This post is ambiguous. Can you elaborate on what constitutes a big word?

    Like one poster here likes to throw around french words like "de novo lipogenesis" to get you to give up your argument

    Excuse me sir, do you have a problem with French people? Je me comprends pas pourquoi, nous sommes des personnes comme les autres... ;)

    Il ne peut pas l'aider. Il est un imbécile!

    Did you just call the OP an unhelpful imbecile?

    Yes, he did
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Some people naturally have an expanded vocabulary. It doesnt infer an attempt at intimidation
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    Hippopotamus is a big word. It has many letters and many syllables. I feel like we don't talk enough about hippopotamuses around here.
    I'm with you...I find it exceedingly difficult to have a serious hippopotamus conversation these days. I blame the internet.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    _John_ wrote: »
    JeffMeehan wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    This post is ambiguous. Can you elaborate on what constitutes a big word?

    Like one poster here likes to throw around french words like "de novo lipogenesis" to get you to give up your argument

    Excuse me sir, do you have a problem with French people? Je me comprends pas pourquoi, nous sommes des personnes comme les autres... ;)

    Il ne peut pas l'aider. Il est un imbécile!

    Did you just call the OP an unhelpful imbecile?

    Yes, he did

    C'est hypocrite.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    SwannySez wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    I'm not sure what bothers me more. The fact this thread exists or that I even took the time to read it.

    Let's keep the personal attacks to a minimum

    Baiting.

    I'm a master. Hi.

    I laughed...

  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    There is a 45 character word.... Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
  • La_Malfaisante
    La_Malfaisante Posts: 1,509 Member
    _John_ wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    JeffMeehan wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    This post is ambiguous. Can you elaborate on what constitutes a big word?

    Like one poster here likes to throw around french words like "de novo lipogenesis" to get you to give up your argument

    Excuse me sir, do you have a problem with French people? Je me comprends pas pourquoi, nous sommes des personnes comme les autres... ;)

    Il ne peut pas l'aider. Il est un imbécile!

    Did you just call the OP an unhelpful imbecile?

    Yes, he did

    C'est hypocrite.

    Oui! He clearly wasn't getting that I was being sarcastic
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginyl...isoleucine - 189,819 characters - chemical name of titin, the largest known protein
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    __drmerc__ wrote: »

    I'm not touching that or anything else!
    tumblr_lqdvvmKmXJ1qafrh6.gif
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    feralX wrote: »
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    Hippopotamus is a big word. It has many letters and many syllables. I feel like we don't talk enough about hippopotamuses around here.
    I'm with you...I find it exceedingly difficult to have a serious hippopotamus conversation these days. I blame the internet.

    is it hippopotamuses or hippopotomi?
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    There is a 45 character word.... Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

    I learned that in 4th grade and this is the first time I have ever seen anyone but me or someone I went to grade school with reference it.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    It amuses me that some people here claim to have huge vocabularies yet don't seem to understand the meanings of the words 'sarcasm' and 'humour'.
  • JeffMeehan
    JeffMeehan Posts: 1,014 Member
    I apologize if I offended anyone. I was just trying to be funny with my warped sense of humor!