Smoking

Options
123457»

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone eats "clean" and still smokes?

Ha! Nope, but I used to smoke like a chimney, drink like a fish... And still have the brass neck to take a shed load of daily multi vits & supplements!... Oh well! lol
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    LeenaJean wrote: »
    FatFreeFrolicking, I get the impression you are not and have never been a smoker, so shhh...

Is smoking some elitist club where only people that do it can discuss how to quit it? Get real. Most of us here have dealt with struggles before. I didn't lose 70 pounds just by herpderpin my way through the past almost 2 years. I know what it takes to push myself out of my comfort zone to break bad habits.

Smoking is one of the hardest habits but it has to be taken care of with your own intrinsic motivation and it has to be done as soon as possible.

No one wants ignorant opinions and would rather talk to someone with experience

Says the guy who posts some of the most ignorant things on MFP.

I don't need to be a smoker or former smoker to post a comment on a thread about smoking. I actually have an education in public health and nursing which makes my comments 10,000x more "experienced." In fact, I just presented at a public health conference today about tobacco smoking.

So I'm assuming that you'll be fully aware of the current research being conducted into the use of nicotine therapy in the treatment of reducing Alzheimer's symptoms then, yes?

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Fair warning - I had the HARDEST time pooping after I quit. It was probably the worst part of quitting for me. Maybe I'm odd, but I wish I had known that was coming, hence my warning.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    LeenaJean wrote: »
    FatFreeFrolicking, I get the impression you are not and have never been a smoker, so shhh...

Is smoking some elitist club where only people that do it can discuss how to quit it? Get real. Most of us here have dealt with struggles before. I didn't lose 70 pounds just by herpderpin my way through the past almost 2 years. I know what it takes to push myself out of my comfort zone to break bad habits.

Smoking is one of the hardest habits but it has to be taken care of with your own intrinsic motivation and it has to be done as soon as possible.

No one wants ignorant opinions and would rather talk to someone with experience

Says the guy who posts some of the most ignorant things on MFP.

I don't need to be a smoker or former smoker to post a comment on a thread about smoking. I actually have an education in public health and nursing which makes my comments 10,000x more "experienced." In fact, I just presented at a public health conference today about tobacco smoking.

So I'm assuming that you'll be fully aware of the current research being conducted into the use of nicotine therapy in the treatment of reducing Alzheimer's symptoms then, yes?

As well as the positive effects nicotine use has on many types of mental illness.

Smoking is harmful. Nicotine is about has harmful as caffeine.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

does weed count... if so then i used to be one lol
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Nicotine still contracts the vascular system.. So I guess that does cause some issues. But at least it doesn't come with all the additional crap that cigarettes do.

Actually studies are showing that it doesn't. It does in cigarettes when combined with other chemicals and then being burned, but not on it's own.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2261/14/78

This one is done on pure nicotine inhaled by rats...but we aren't rats, so take it as you will.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8614291

I know someone who smokes, but won't eat anything with GMO! Umm....
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    wow I didn't have time to check my own topic, thanks everyone for replying! So happy to see that so many people quit smoking successfully-great job guys, you are my motivation, I hope i can do it too. Also i decided to buy an e-ciggie, wish me luck!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    wow I didn't have time to check my own topic, thanks everyone for replying! So happy to see that so many people quit smoking successfully-great job guys, you are my motivation, I hope i can do it too. Also i decided to buy an e-ciggie, wish me luck!

Good luck. Make sure you have a flavor you really like, and you start at a moderate to high nicotine level. (most people recommend 12 or 18 mg) You don't absorb as much nicotine through an e-cig as you do traditional ones, so start high and then taper off. Cinnamon and menthol flavors are popular among people who are trying to quit, they tend to have a better "throat hit" and feel more like real smoke. And I'd definitely recommend the two piece, vaporizer style. Don't buy one at a gas station, go to a reputable e-cig shop and get the good stuff.
  • LBoggie77
    LBoggie77 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck on quitting, it will be 2 years for smoke free for me on the 21st of January. My smoking was a 20 year 1/2 a pack a day habit. More on the weekends, or if I went out. I thought I would never be able to quit. I'm not going to lie, the first three days really sucked, but it gets easier. It's a lot like fitness, you just have to want it and you can make it happen.