The Alternate Day Diet.

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Like I said before... I fast every other day. This is the ONLY woe that I have lost weight on.
    I have just about every book on the subject and totally agree with 'walking along'.
    Don't knock it until you try it.
    My losing 17ishlbs in under 2mths proves to me it works, when nothing else did. I could not handle being on a diet every single day, and there's NO way I'm going to weigh every bit of food I eat!!
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    and just for the heck of it...

Beneficial effects of intermittent fasting and caloric restriction on the cardiovascular and cerebrovascular system

Mark P. Mattsonemail, Ruiqian Wan
    Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Intramural Research Program, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
    DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2004.12.007

Abstract
    Intermittent fasting (IF; reduced meal frequency) and caloric restriction (CR) extend lifespan and increase resistance to age-related diseases in rodents and monkeys and improve the health of overweight humans. Both IF and CR enhance cardiovascular and brain functions and improve several risk factors for coronary artery disease and stroke including a reduction in blood pressure and increased insulin sensitivity. Cardiovascular stress adaptation is improved and heart rate variability is increased in rodents maintained on an IF or a CR diet. Moreover, rodents maintained on an IF regimen exhibit increased resistance of heart and brain cells to ischemic injury in experimental models of myocardial infarction and stroke. The beneficial effects of IF and CR result from at least two mechanisms — reduced oxidative damage and increased cellular stress resistance. Recent findings suggest that some of the beneficial effects of IF on both the cardiovascular system and the brain are mediated by brain-derived neurotrophic factor signaling in the brain. Interestingly, cellular and molecular effects of IF and CR on the cardiovascular system and the brain are similar to those of regular physical exercise, suggesting shared mechanisms. A better understanding of the cellular and molecular mechanisms by which IF and CR affect the blood vessels and heart and brain cells will likely lead to novel preventative and therapeutic strategies for extending health span.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I tried the up day down day diet
    all i got out of it was 2 eating disorders and i gained weight
    its probly different for everyone

intermittent fasting can not give you an eating disorder. That's a mental illness which would've been with you before you did IF. Some people are prone to eating disorders, others are not. I love my food to much to ever become anorexic

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    and just for the heck of it...

Beneficial effects of intermittent fasting and caloric restriction on the cardiovascular and cerebrovascular system

Mark P. Mattsonemail, Ruiqian Wan
    Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Intramural Research Program, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
    DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2004.12.007

Abstract
    Intermittent fasting (IF; reduced meal frequency) and caloric restriction (CR) extend lifespan and increase resistance to age-related diseases in rodents and monkeys and improve the health of overweight humans. Both IF and CR enhance cardiovascular and brain functions and improve several risk factors for coronary artery disease and stroke including a reduction in blood pressure and increased insulin sensitivity. Cardiovascular stress adaptation is improved and heart rate variability is increased in rodents maintained on an IF or a CR diet. Moreover, rodents maintained on an IF regimen exhibit increased resistance of heart and brain cells to ischemic injury in experimental models of myocardial infarction and stroke. The beneficial effects of IF and CR result from at least two mechanisms — reduced oxidative damage and increased cellular stress resistance. Recent findings suggest that some of the beneficial effects of IF on both the cardiovascular system and the brain are mediated by brain-derived neurotrophic factor signaling in the brain. Interestingly, cellular and molecular effects of IF and CR on the cardiovascular system and the brain are similar to those of regular physical exercise, suggesting shared mechanisms. A better understanding of the cellular and molecular mechanisms by which IF and CR affect the blood vessels and heart and brain cells will likely lead to novel preventative and therapeutic strategies for extending health span.

Yes, and this abstract is saying that BOTH IF and regular caloric restriction basically provide the same benefits. This article though does not appear to be stating that IF helps prevent things like cancer or diabetes.
    And that with exercise, the effects are similar to what you'd get from dietary caloric restriction, so it appears that these benefits are in general from caloric rsetriction. Not specifically IF or exercising.

JW though, is this a meta-analysis? Literature review? An experiment? As there is no mention of experimental procedure, so just curious as to where these statements are being taken from by the authors.

But as with the links in WalkingAlong's link, and even the articles I posted, ito's all on animals. So we can't generalize these findings to humans. At least, I'm assuming this is on rats, since the articles in the reference section are pretty much all about monkeys and rats.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    But as with the links in WalkingAlong's link, and even the articles I posted, ito's all on animals. So we can't generalize these findings to humans. At least, I'm assuming this is on rats, since the articles in the reference section are pretty much all about monkeys and rats.

Well i'm a party animal, does that make it more relevant? :p
  • ana3067
    Options

Well i'm a party animal, does that make it more relevant? :p

only if those articles used college-aged animals as participants
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    sodakat wrote: »
    I wish one of these posts would be past tense, like "I wanted to lose 10 pounds in 30 days, did IF using method X and did it". Instead we get wishful thinking before the OP even starts.
    Two of us in this thread reported info about our own results, though if you want to see details you might have to click on a profile or two.

There are plenty of threads where people discuss their successes with IF. Though there are far more threads that are people just asking about because they're considering it.
    It's clear nobody is challenging the validity of personal success with IF. It's your claims outside of your personal experience that are being challenged. :smile:
    Not in the post that I responded to there. I think you can click 'view quotes' and see which comment I was responding to. Or do you want me to re-post it here so you don't have to click, like with the ADF studies?

How about we just conclude that since I haven't proven someone claimed they never see any IF results posted here that it didn't happen, and then you can claim to be right again since no one convinced you that post existed. :D

What?

It's about you saying this:
    Studies have found it preserves more lean mass than daily dieting and leads to improvements in overall health. There is evidence that it can help prevent diabetes, dementia, cardiovascular disease and cancer.

All I did was ask for studies.

Oh well, someone else posted studies, so really....it's A-okay.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    I have a couple of friends who have been doing this diet for hmmm maybe a year. They are about 3 pounds lighter than when they started!!! Obviously it doesn't work for everyone! I don't really get it but you could give it a bash for a month and see. Ultimately though you'd probaly be better just making a complete lifestyle change but sometimes we take a while to get to that way of thinking. Good luck :-)
  • ana3067
    Options
    Edie30 wrote: »
    I have a couple of friends who have been doing this diet for hmmm maybe a year. They are about 3 pounds lighter than when they started!!! Obviously it doesn't work for everyone! I don't really get it but you could give it a bash for a month and see. Ultimately though you'd probaly be better just making a complete lifestyle change but sometimes we take a while to get to that way of thinking. Good luck :-)

Was their goal to lose weight? If so then the diet probably hasn't made much difference for them if they've been at it for a year and only lost 3lbs :/
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Here's a link that talks about regeneration etc etc during fasting

http://www.allaboutfasting.com/effects-of-fasting-ketosis.html
  • ana3067
    Options
    regeneration of what? No reputable sources listed in that link, and it's clearly a blog dedicated to the topic which means cherry picking the evidence they do decide to use.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Oh ok. I don't have the energy right now to go trawling the internet. I just know IF works, from my own experience :-)
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Still don't understand why people would subject themselves to intermittent fasting instead of a consistent calorie deficit.
    I don't have any experience with the IF method myself, but it definitely seems like a diet which could easily spiral someone out of control and lead to binges. But if you'd like to give it a go, it's your decision end of the day

So what you're saying is that you're happy to weigh in on a subject about which you admit you know little and have no practical experience with. This must be an IF thread.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Assuming my TDEE is 2500.
    Varady: 1640 or 1685 calories/day on average (way too low, and way too large of a deficit unless I were obese)
    5:2 : 1930 or 1960, which would be doable for me. But not great when I am within 10-15lbs from my goal.

Of the two I would recommend 5:2 over Varady simply based on caloric intake.

Having actually read Varady, it isn't 500/600 and TDEE. It's 25% of TDEE (with 500/600 as approximations for anyone who doesn't want to figure out their TDDE) and ad libitum on alternate days. One of the advantages of ADF is that you don't have to log your food on non-fasting days.

Most of the studies have involved obese individuals, with larger deficits and faster losses. She did a small study that involved normal weight participants ( http://www.nutritionj.com/content/12/1/146 ) and it found they lost ~ 6kg in 12 weeks. That's fast - and fast is considered a feature (see the OP of this thread. Speaking of - OP, Varaday says it'll take 8-12 weeks for you to lose your 10lb, so you started a little late!)

As I recall, most of the research was comparing ADF to CR (daily caloric restriction) and found that it was roughly comparable. There may be slight advantage to ADF in maintaining lean body mass. ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21410865 )

Oh, and the cancer stuff. Clearly, I'm just looking for excuses not to go to bed - but here's a Varady cancer study - I'm pretty sure it said "Yeah, ADF probably helps cancer risk as much as CR" http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/7.long

IMO, the chief reasons why "people would subject themselves to intermittent fasting instead of a consistent calorie deficit" are:
    It's easy - either you're eating freely/normally that day, or you're eating one small meal that you had to count calories for. There's no logging.
    There's minimal sense of deprivation - you get the "new diet" high every other day, and if you go to bed hungry - it's only for one day.
    Weight loss is fast. Everyone likes a quick fix, and 4-5% of your body weight over 8 weeks is pretty darn fast.

• ana3067
    edited November 2014
    Options
    chouflour wrote: »

Assuming my TDEE is 2500.
    Varady: 1640 or 1685 calories/day on average (way too low, and way too large of a deficit unless I were obese)
    5:2 : 1930 or 1960, which would be doable for me. But not great when I am within 10-15lbs from my goal.

Of the two I would recommend 5:2 over Varady simply based on caloric intake.

Having actually read Varady, it isn't 500/600 and TDEE. It's 25% of TDEE (with 500/600 as approximations for anyone who doesn't want to figure out their TDDE) and ad libitum on alternate days. One of the advantages of ADF is that you don't have to log your food on non-fasting days.

Most of the studies have involved obese individuals, with larger deficits and faster losses. She did a small study that involved normal weight participants ( http://www.nutritionj.com/content/12/1/146 ) and it found they lost ~ 6kg in 12 weeks. That's fast - and fast is considered a feature (see the OP of this thread. Speaking of - OP, Varaday says it'll take 8-12 weeks for you to lose your 10lb, so you started a little late!)

As I recall, most of the research was comparing ADF to CR (daily caloric restriction) and found that it was roughly comparable. There may be slight advantage to ADF in maintaining lean body mass. ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21410865 )

Oh, and the cancer stuff. Clearly, I'm just looking for excuses not to go to bed - but here's a Varady cancer study - I'm pretty sure it said "Yeah, ADF probably helps cancer risk as much as CR" http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/7.long

IMO, the chief reasons why "people would subject themselves to intermittent fasting instead of a consistent calorie deficit" are:
    It's easy - either you're eating freely/normally that day, or you're eating one small meal that you had to count calories for. There's no logging.
    There's minimal sense of deprivation - you get the "new diet" high every other day, and if you go to bed hungry - it's only for one day.
    Weight loss is fast. Everyone likes a quick fix, and 4-5% of your body weight over 8 weeks is pretty darn fast.

It's actually about 13lbs in 12 weeks, which is not very fast for obese people. In fact, many people here lost up to 2lbs a week. Not that that's ideal, but when obese it's pretty normal to lose even more initially than one's caloric deficit would expect due to water losses. I suspect that if participants maintained knowledge/awareness/logging of their intake on non restricted days they would see faster results. I can see this method being quite problematic when near one's goal weight.

As far as the reasons you say that people would choose this over regular calorie restriction, I don't personally agree. Mostly:
    1) easy is definitely subjective. One day of not eating much doesn't appeal to me, and it's easier for me to eat until full while in a caloric deficit every single day. It's also easier for me to track my intake, particularly because I plan on bulking next year and I need to maintain as much lean body mass as possible - hence tracking protein. I find logging easier than just arbitrarily guessing that I've been in a deficit for the week.

2) I don't feel deprived, but I also don't eat 1200 calories. I eat (as of today) 2150 calories. I also do IIFYM, so I eat anything I want as long as it's within my calories and macros. I had a donut today, was real nice.

3) Again, 13lbs in 12 weeks isn't all that fast, particularly for obese people. For 4% of body weight lost, that's about 7.4lbs in 2 months. Which is about the same rate I lost eating at a standard deficit of 20% below my TDEE every day when I first started. 4% now would be about 3lbs/month or 6lbs in 2 months, which is the same rate, if a bit more, than what I am currently aiming for. So really, no different than using standard calorie restriction.

So the reasons I guess seem to be entirely subjective and basically you won't lose weight faster/better than a noraml deficit unless it helps you maintain a deficit long term. As long as no one claims that it has magical healing powers or something, then it really doesn't matter if one chooses IF or standard deficit or even exercise as a deficit to lose weight.

Not related to this particular pool of studies though, I do wish that more studies would be conducted on non-obese people. Usually if I find an article pertaining to calorie deficit it's on rats or obese people. And usually it's something like "they ate 1300 calories" so... of COURSE they will lose weight. It would definitely be awesome if people could be given more reasonable deficits, matching participants as well as possible beforehand so that everyone would have similar estimated TDEEs and thus similar deficits at 20%.
  • Christine_72
    edited November 2014
    Options
    chouflour wrote: »

yes spot on!!

I lose consistently most every week. 17, nearly 18lbs in under 8 weeks, with NO exercise! I'll be fasting forever. Once I get down to my goal weight I'll fast once or twice a week to maintain

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I think if you average out the calories over the week to be what you would eat normally, it should be fine. It sounds like the opposite direction of having a cheat day diet where you eat sorta strictly for 6 days but let go for 1 day a week. I did it and it was pretty good diet so I don't see any objection to other way approach to it.

400 calories does sound a bit too low though, try it and see how you feel. The important thing is to average out your calories so you don't go too low on calories as for your weekly average.
  • Edie30 wrote: »

If they only lost 3 lbs in a year, it's probably incorrect logging or too high intake on TDEE days. Don't blame the diet for poor execution. I lost 2 lbs a week doing this.

There's no magic pill. It's an alternative way of achieving caloric deficit.

What's amusing are all the opinions and negative nancy comments about a diet some posters here have not tried at all/short period of time or show very low knowledge of.

Dieting is like any other relationship. There is adjustment time. I'll quote the NYC cab driver quote book: On relationship "New shoes always hurt".
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Try it and find out. I've lost close to 80 lbs using intermittent fasting. It's extremely easy for me and doesn't ignite bingey behavior in me whatsoever. And my fast days are real fast days, as in water only. I'll likely be IFing for life as maintenance. But then again I also fast for spiritual reasons, so fasting is a part of my life regardless.

But it's also awful for some. Some are so miserable in transition, no matter the method, that they stop before their bodies acclimate. And some give it the good college try and it's just not for them. I've read that it's more advantageous for men than women, and perhaps modifications need to be made for some women who want to try it out. I'm sure others can speak more to that.

The worst thing you can do is listen to those who are ignorant to IFing who state their assumptions, fears and paranoia as fact. Which, in my experience, is many people. Listen to those with real experience, both good and bad.

The 10 pounds by the 19th? Unlikely. Just stick to a method that works for you and let the weight fall off at whatever rate it does.