Guide to making claims based on research

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I would like to point out that sometimes...just sometimes, people are actually legitimately interested in looking at the evidence of assertions for bettering their knowledge and to have a conversation about it, and not to try to do an 'aha...gotcha' move. The vast majority of people on here are not 'in the business' so to speak and even if they were, there are just so many topics to look at within the fitness and nutrition field that specialization is required.

Using one of the examples noted here of IF. Not recently, but on numerous threads quite a while ago, I have asked people to provide evidence to support their assertions re health benefits of JUDDD v 'standard' caloric restriction, as at the time, all the studies that I had seen had compared a caloric restriction by way of JUDDD to a diet that was at maintenance. This was not to 'show' or 'prove' anything - I was genuinely interested to see if there were studies that indicated that a caloric restriction via JUDDD may confer health benefits over and above a 'standard' caloric restriction. I never got any citations or links. [Note: this may have changed with new studies as I have not looked into it in probably over a year now].

True that. Just like when LOTS of people share their similar anecdotal experiences, it makes me more willing to look into whatever they are talking about if it pertains to my own needs/desires. So if someone posts an interesting claim and then posts good references about it, then I'd be way more likely to take this claim seriously and possibly implement it into my own weight loss/etc lifestyle.

Btw, what's JUDDD mean?

Its a name for an Alternate Day Diet, like 5:2 (stands for Johnson's Up Day Down Day Diet).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Anyone with actual interest may read the books. I'm not falling into the "post your links in this format so we can dissect them and claim to have proved you wrong".

For about the sixth time, all this is over this simple exchange:

Q: "Why would anyone subject themselves to IF?"
    Response: "For reasons a, b, c and some might because of studies that have found evidence it may help prevent x, y and z."

The misinterpretation is amazing. If you want the studies, read the books. If you want to claim no such studies exist (why, I don't know), do so. I'm done playing semantics games.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    In. With the comment that citation is often more effective as a corpus rather than single articles. But mostly just in.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Anyone with actual interest may read the books. I'm not falling into the "post your links in this format so we can dissect them and claim to have proved you wrong".

Response: "For reasons a, b, c and some might because of studies that have found evidence it may help prevent x, y and z."

The misinterpretation is amazing. If you want the studies, read the books. If you want to claim no such studies exist (why, I don't know), do so. I'm done playing semantics games.

Nonsense. YOU made the claim that the studies exist, but didn't actually read them. If you're going to claim "studies have found x" you should be prepared to post said studies.

As an academic, you should understand this.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited November 2014

Or "hey, can you post the sources of your claim so we can just see if there is actual proper evidence in humans for the phenomenon you are claiming exists?" and if it DOES exist, then we will all be like "oh cool, I wonder how many other authors have been able to replicate or come to similar findings"

You're basically continuing to do the runaround. Even in the other thread other people went about posting links (studies or not) that I believe were in support of your claims, which Ive yet to take a look into. So, they could do it and you, a professor, could not?

Also, where is the misinterpretation? You made a claim (yes, you saying that there is research/evidence for something IS you making a claim, just like when I write a paper about findings in a study I am making a claim) about how IF specifically can help wtih dementia, cancer, diabetes, etc. But have not yet posted even just one article that demonstrates it, or that has is specifically found in humans because you seem to be making generalizations to humans.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Really? That would be silly, because all a flag is, is "I didn't like the answer you gave me, so I'm going to have a childish tantrum and flag you."

Awesome analogy!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You have WAY too much time on your hands.

Has over 2,000 posts. Criticises others for having too much time.

There's a difference between taking the time to reply to threads that typically only require a few sentences versus taking the time to create a thread that is extremely lengthy (and certainly took more than a couple minutes to type) and most won't even bother to read because they don't know what peer-reviewed studies are or how to access them.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    edited November 2014
    And as far as the Aragon, Schoenfel et al comment above, the only post that I could find that has been made within the last week and that involved research by these people is a thread about fasted cardio, which I did not even participate in.

So... huh?
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10023219/yet-another-study-debunking-fasted-cardio/p1
    You're right, I confused you with someone else who doesn't understand the process. But you've posted plenty that shows you have a tenuous grasp on it but feel like an expert. In today's other thread you said that "the credentials of the author don't even matter," for example.

:huh: Dr. Oz has fantastic credentials.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

There's a difference between taking the time to reply to threads that typically only require a few sentences versus taking the time to create a thread that is extremely lengthy (and certainly took more than a couple minutes to type) and most won't even bother to read because they don't know what peer-reviewed studies are or how to access them.

There is.

The latter actually contributes to a meaningful conversation for those that are interested in science.

The former does not.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member

There is.

The latter actually contributes to a meaningful conversation for those that are interested in science.

The former does not.

Too bad the majority here do not care. Most are here seeking advice about TDEE, food scales, why they are gaining weight when they are eating 1200 cals, what HRM to buy, food recipes, etc., which is certainly more meaningful to the majority than this thread will ever be.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,724 Member

That's cool. Providing the links when asked was optional. We're just letting you know that the format in which you presented them was non-specific and could have stood to be a bit more useful. If I wasn't willing to dig through a dozen links to find potentially non-existent proof, why do you think I would read a book? As it stands the proof / details of your studies will just have to be one of the billion things I'll never know. *shrugs*
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Maybe I missed this along the course of the thread - I only skimmed pages 2-6..

But I loved the original post. I would maybe add something about the Hierarchy of Evidence Strength.

As an example: Systematic Reviews & Meta-Analyses of RCTs >>> Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs) >>> Observational Research
  • Sarauk2sf

There is.

The former does not.

Too bad the majority here do not care. Most are here seeking advice about TDEE, food scales, why they are gaining weight when they are eating 1200 cals, what HRM to buy, food recipes, etc., which is certainly more meaningful to the majority than this thread will ever be.

They may not, but many do.

Its also good to be able to give them good advice that can be substantiated.

• Sarauk2sf

I often bother to take the time to respond with more than a few sentences on the questions that you assert most people are here for.

Apparently, I have too much time on my hands and taking time to try to get facts right and to use that to help others is a bad thing. Good to know.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    I'm going to guess that this is already in the responses posted, but I don't have time to read the pages and pages, so...

Please be aware of any inherent bias that may be held by the author of any article. It can drive hypothesis, research and findings in very subtle ways that are difficult to recognize. Researchers' intent is to not let bias color findings and to structure studies to lower any effect of bias as much as possible, but it still creeps in.

True story: For an assignment in a class as simple as Intro to Speech years ago, one of my students wanted to use Dodge.com as an unbiased source for "Why Dodge Trucks are the Best." As a grad student working on some pretty in-depth social experiments on persuasive strategies in healthcare, all I could think was FML.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    AJ_G wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    Remember that correlation does not imply causation! (It's probably my favorite research saying.)

This is very very important and not enough people realize this.

Every single person who has drank water has died, therefore water is deadly. No...

Um, what?? I have drank water and I haven't died.

Also, correlation can imply causation, especially if there are multiple studies showing correlation. It doesn't prove causation, but it certainly may imply it.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    My Cats breath smells like cat food.....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    LikeStickersSparkle.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    The ability that this post refers to is called "information literacy."

/librarian

Which I apparently lack :p
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30409651/#Comment_30409651

:D<3
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member

I'll need peer reviewed studies posted here not only as links but also you must post the titles, abstracts and the authors' credentials. In MLA format. With human studies. On entire populations. Within the past six months.

It's been 5 minutes and I see no links. Therefore I have disproved your claim that all cats ever to have lived have cat food breath based on your N=1 anecdote. Which of course you never claimed, but it could be assumed that's what you believe because why else would you have posted such a claim.

;)

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    AJ_G wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    Remember that correlation does not imply causation! (It's probably my favorite research saying.)

This is very very important and not enough people realize this.

Every single person who has drank water has died, therefore water is deadly. No...

Um, what?? I have drank water and I haven't died.

Also, correlation can imply causation, especially if there are multiple studies showing correlation. It doesn't prove causation, but it certainly may imply it.

With the exception of still born babies and those that die before water is given (actually, a lot of babies will die before ever drinking water since you don't have to supplement with water until they start transitioning to solid foods), everyone who has died has had water in their lifetime. They are trying to express a point of correlation not causation, which you have confirmed. Water does not cause most of the deaths.

etc_correlation50__01__960.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    The ability that this post refers to is called "information literacy."

/librarian

Which I apparently lack :p
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30409651/#Comment_30409651

I teach it at a college. Based on your comments in that thread and others, you could stand a course in it, I'm sorry. Your tips above aren't bad but this is a forum for discussion, not a PhD defense. When someone posts that they've read studies that say X, they don't need to supply those links or be considered proven wrong. Some of us read a lot.
    You're right, this is a discussion forum. However, if we do reference studies or evidence of something, because they are outside of our personal experience, then we need to post links to those studies. That's what keeps the discussion on track.

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member

I'll need peer reviewed studies posted here not only as links but also you must post the titles, abstracts and the authors' credentials. In MLA format. With human studies. On entire populations. Within the past six months.

It's been 5 minutes and I see no links. Therefore I have disproved your claim that all cats ever to have lived have cat food breath based on your N=1 anecdote. Which of course you never claimed, but it could be assumed that's what you believe because why else would you have posted such a claim.

;)

I like you!
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    edited November 2014
    Yeah i'm sooooo sick of b******g about referenced studies...OMG some peoeple think they KNOW EVERYTHING because they are in thier early 20's in Uni...

i have to say LIFE brings much better evidence than reading research studies!
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    edited November 2014
    double post
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    LOL, I really fail to see what's so hard about this. If you want to participate in a scientific discussion about a topic, be prepared to defend your stance.

If you don't want to have to defend your stance leave it as a general statement and admit you don't have the time/energy/knowledge/background to get in to the nitty gritty detail.

Whining because some one took your science and countered it..... um that's kind of what's done. ALL. THE. TIME.

Doesn't matter if it's published in a peer reviewed journal. The data set a can still be too small, there can be issues with methodology that are lacking, people might question the statistics or the authors interpretation of the statistics, any number of possible things there to critique. Which *newsflash* that's what a professional scientist is trained to do.

There are many professional scientists on these forums, we enjoy these discussions, and yes we expect that if you want to really get in to a scientific debate on the subject you be able to discuss and reference in a reasonable manner.

Or you can take your ball and go home. Up to you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Yeah i'm sooooo sick of b******g about referenced studies...OMG some peoeple think they KNOW EVERYTHING because they are in thier early 20's in Uni...

i have to say LIFE brings much better evidence than reading research studies!

The issue is if someone says you should, for example, eat breakfast as studies show you can lose more weight.

This may lead people to eat breakfast when they would not otherwise do due to preference. It can then lead to adherence challenges for some.

Not calling someone on these studies is not beneficial.

Just because something works for someone, does not mean it is the 'best' way to go about things. It's easier for people if they do not think they need to do this, or that studies do not show a direct causation. It just cuts out the trial and error that 'life' experiences may bring.

^^this is just one example of the hundreds you see on here.

I do not see where the OP is purporting to know everything.

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    Actually on that note, we need to add a part about when you DO provide links to the study, expect that people will actually read it and possibly critique it, that's why they asked for the study.

And if they critique it, listen to why they think there might be a problem with it. You may or may not agree with their critique, but critiquing research findings is part of the process and it can help you learn about potential issues to look for in any other studies you come across.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I don't expect MFP threads to be the equivalent of a PHD dissertation or something..but if you are going to try and link a certain diet to reduced instances of cancer, then be prepared to back it up with some kind of peer reviewed study that you have actually read...
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    edited November 2014
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't expect MFP threads to be the equivalent of a PHD dissertation or something..but if you are going to try and link a certain diet to reduced instances of cancer, then be prepared to back it up with some kind of peer reviewed study that you have actually read...

This is an important point. The scientists among us tend to get more and more up in arms as the claims get more and more extreme.

You eat organic because you feel better and like how it tastes, go for it.

You eat organic because non-organic is full of toxins and will kill us all. Please to defend your statement.

*full disclosure, I *may* have a special avatar I created just for arguing in organic and GMO threads.....