Good news for people who like eating fat!

Options

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    While both diabetes and heart disease can be acquired/increase risk from lifestyle, eating habits, and being very overweight/obese, genetics will play a more significant role.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

+3
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    willnorton wrote: »
    for 6 months I have been eating low carb high fat, I have lost 112 pounds...i was type 2 diabetic and taking 49 units of insulin a night and on high blood pressure meds... Doctor says i am no longer diabetic ..i no longer take any insulin...i dont take high blood pressure meds.... I had a hard time grasping the fact that you can eat high fat and have good results but it has worked for me...it doesnt work for everybody..but did for me....

Diabetes cannot be cured. You are still a diabetic. You are simply in remission.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    Eggs were bad and then they were good and then they were bad....etc etc etc. I've learned to not put faith in any single study. We all know what's good for us intuitively. We don't need a study to understand the simple concept of moderation in all things.

In terms of nutrition, more than just moderation is needed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    because fa4ping isn't allowed here

Guess I should stop logging the calories burned from that then.... :(

mentally account for them and just chalk it up to bonus burn.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    fat freefrolicking.... where did you get your medical degree???? my Doctor said to me "you are non-diabetic".... Im going to take those words and run with them... I have had diabetes since 2005 and you say "remission" sounds like cancer to me.... i understand what you are saying and I am controlling my diabetes with diet and exercise but its cool to say I am non-diabetic...and if my doctor says those words....dang it...I am going to use them too.... if you have never dealt with this terrible disease, you wouldnt understand.... I AM ABSOLUTELY NON-DIABETIC DANG IT.... have a great Thanksgiving....
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi Will,

I am also eating Low-Carb trying to prevent Diabetes (which according to my family's health status) - I'm the onely one left not diagosed.

I think it's great that you're off meds and diabetes clear. I think what fat-free was suggesting is that if you were to increase carbs to much, you'd have to worry again about insulin intolerance. Is this true?

How are you doing? Will you always follow a Low-carb lifestyle? or are you returned to eating grains now that you've lost all the excess weight?

Just wondering,

Rose
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's quite difficult to find science based diet and nutrition studies with "neutral" funding sources.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Well, HERE'S the problem:
    This work was supported by the Dairy Research Institute, the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and the Egg Nutrition Center.

Follow the money, sheeple! No wonder the findings supported LCHF!

Money and pride drive many studies.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Does this mean that its all good to go to lunch @ LONG JOHN SILVERS today and let it ride???
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It's NEVER good to go to lunch at Long John Silver's.

Eww.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Long JOhn SIlvers is great.................Im craving it and havent had some of that in about 4 months. ummmmm chicken and fish planks!...damn!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    willnorton wrote: »
    fat freefrolicking.... where did you get your medical degree???? my Doctor said to me "you are non-diabetic".... Im going to take those words and run with them... I have had diabetes since 2005 and you say "remission" sounds like cancer to me.... i understand what you are saying and I am controlling my diabetes with diet and exercise but its cool to say I am non-diabetic...and if my doctor says those words....dang it...I am going to use them too.... if you have never dealt with this terrible disease, you wouldnt understand.... I AM ABSOLUTELY NON-DIABETIC DANG IT.... have a great Thanksgiving....

Congrats! I've had several friends make big lifestyle changes and they too have been told they are NO LONGER DIABETIC.

What did you do to achieve this? It's fabulous.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BEERRUNNER wrote: »
    Does this mean that its all good to go to lunch @ LONG JOHN SILVERS today and let it ride???

just not.

never. ever. ever.
    because it's just bad food in general.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    BEERRUNNER wrote: »

just not.

never. ever. ever.
    because it's just bad food in general.
    +1
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    While both diabetes and heart disease can be acquired/increase risk from lifestyle, eating habits, and being very overweight/obese, genetics will play a more significant role.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

While this *may* have been the case historically, I am not quite convinced it will hold for the future, especially given this entirely man made obesity pandemic we're experiencing now. I'll hedge my bets and keep eating the way I do.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    All the subjects had metabolic syndrome. Is it surprising that increasing carbs was bad for them?

For a lot of people (doctors included), yes, actually. The ADA only very recently changed their stance on carbs and fat with regard to the diabetic diet, and even now, it still very much toes the USDA line. Both say to limit fats and get upwards of 50% of calories from carb sources. The old diabetic diet recommendations said something like 45-60 grams of carbs per meal, and 30-45 grams per snack, putting carb intake somewhere around 195-270g a day (ie - only marginally reduced from the USDA recommendations, if reduced at all), and the medical assumption was/is still pretty firmly that Diabetes is a progressive disease pretty much no matter what. Remission is all but unheard of under the ADA/Diabetic Diet guidelines.

Additionally, most people with metabolic syndrome also have lipid markers consistent with heart disease risk. Since most doctors still operate under the lipid hypothesis, they then advise to cut fat and (effectively) increase carbs (namely, more whole grains). Again, their numbers rarely improve, because the markers are affected by the food they're eating, and carbohydrates have been shown to decrease HDL and elevate triglycerides. The doctor harps on the patient to get their numbers down, but the doctor is inadvertently setting the patient up for failure with the recommendations. Rinse and repeat until the patient is eventually put on statins.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    All the subjects had metabolic syndrome. Is it surprising that increasing carbs was bad for them?

For a lot of people (doctors included), yes, actually. The ADA only very recently changed their stance on carbs and fat with regard to the diabetic diet, and even now, it still very much toes the USDA line. Both say to limit fats and get upwards of 50% of calories from carb sources. The old diabetic diet recommendations said something like 45-60 grams of carbs per meal, and 30-45 grams per snack, putting carb intake somewhere around 195-270g a day (ie - only marginally reduced from the USDA recommendations, if reduced at all), and the medical assumption was/is still pretty firmly that Diabetes is a progressive disease pretty much no matter what. Remission is all but unheard of under the ADA/Diabetic Diet guidelines.

Additionally, most people with metabolic syndrome also have lipid markers consistent with heart disease risk. Since most doctors still operate under the lipid hypothesis, they then advise to cut fat and (effectively) increase carbs (namely, more whole grains). Again, their numbers rarely improve, because the markers are affected by the food they're eating, and carbohydrates have been shown to decrease HDL and elevate triglycerides. The doctor harps on the patient to get their numbers down, but the doctor is inadvertently setting the patient up for failure with the recommendations. Rinse and repeat until the patient is eventually put on statins.

If true, this suprises me, and makes me happy that we seem to have better than average doctors in my area.

But, my point was, this study does not suggest that carbs would increase risk of disease for a healthy person.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    lol.. yes by all means.. let's forget all about any and all scientific findings for all eternity because sometimes the results are proven wrong ... Active research be da*ned!

I would just say, if your "low fat high carb" diet hasn't worked for you (like mine didn't for 30 years) try "lower carb higher fat". It's not like it's a danger to your health, and what have you got to lose (except a few lbs maybe, I lost 25 lbs more than I have ever been able to lose in my adult life before)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    kkimpel wrote: »
    lol.. yes by all means.. let's forget all about any and all scientific findings for all eternity because sometimes the results are proven wrong ... Active research be da*ned!

I would just say, if your "low fat high carb" diet hasn't worked for you (like mine didn't for 30 years) try "lower carb higher fat". It's not like it's a danger to your health, and what have you got to lose (except a few lbs maybe, I lost 25 lbs more than I have ever been able to lose in my adult life before)

Nice post!

And on my end: I've kept my weight off for 13 years in large part because I limit refined carbs (which usually means I'm lowER carb)...