rate my diet plan!

Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    coruscatti wrote: »
    If you post on the forums expect 75% criticism or personal relativity. If that's not what you want then post to your friends list, if they don't say what you want to hear then unfriend them.

I find searching the forums for something similar to see responses before putting myself out there to be most productive because most of the time people ask questions, get responses and then get defensive. By just reading someone else I don't take it personally, but still gain from what is written.

Plus asking about specific food choices in terms of "rate my diet plan!" I think you already think that what you are eating is healthy/know it and just wanted other people to agree with you on how well you are choosing foods. However, the vast variety of people on this site and different macros and diet patterns that people on this site follow prove to generate mostly criticism on the forums because we are all quite different.

Hmmm wish I had known that before I posted...I have never been on a forum before that had this kind of culture. Although looking back on it I have seen a lot of non-constructive criticisms on other peoples' diet plans, so maybe I should have known better.

Well I know my diet is on the road to being healthy but I wanted to know if maybe I was eating too many legumes or too much dairy or not enough dairy, for example, or if I might be missing out on some micronutrient. The "too many carbs" thing might have some merit to it and I am going to experiment with adding more protein next week for that reason.

I don't care if someone follows a different plan from me as long as they're healthy.

OP--a cool part of the diary tool is just to plug your 'diet' in and see where there may be a shortfall; but it depends on what you want to accomplish. Make sense? And make an effort to expand and be flexible with your intake. IE leave the bread out and add ranch dressing, wasabe, and EVOO to ham and cheese rolls. With greater flexibility in your intake it allows you to 'create' your diary. And make small changes to your diary so you can find what works. If any of this is helpful I'll deny I recommended it ;)
  • coruscatti
    Options
    LeenaJean wrote: »
    I did look at the other pages, ONE person said negative 10 out of 10 on like the first page and you honestly cannot get over it. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with this, it's tough to be a troll :(

And the other quotes appeared on the other pages.

• LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I did look at the other pages, ONE person said negative 10 out of 10 on like the first page and you honestly cannot get over it. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with this, it's tough to be a troll :(

And the other quotes appeared on the other pages.

Oh is that how messages boards work? :P
  • coruscatti
    coruscatti Posts: 81
    edited November 2014
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    OP--a cool part of the diary tool is just to plug your 'diet' in and see where there may be a shortfall; but it depends on what you want to accomplish. Make sense? And make an effort to expand and be flexible with your intake. IE leave the bread out and add ranch dressing, wasabe, and EVOO to ham and cheese rolls. With greater flexibility in your intake it allows you to 'create' your diary. And make small changes to your diary so you can find what works. If any of this is helpful I'll deny I recommended it ;)

The problem is that MFP only lists some of the nutrients and there are other factors like phytic acid in legumes and stuff that affect absorbed nutrient content. And then there's factors besides that which affect your health, like the effect of soy and dairy on estrogen, stuff like that, which MFP wouldn't tell you about. I know some people know more about those things than me so I was hoping some of them would offer their input.

Once again, can't do ham for lunch because of lack of refrigerator.
  • coruscatti
    Options

Well you only mentioned that one quote as if I was lying about the existence of the other ones....
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Well you only mentioned that one quote as if I was lying about the existence of the other ones....

I'm just going to go back to my original suggestion, big.deep.breaths. We're not out to get you...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

The problem is that MFP only lists some of the nutrients and there are other factors like phytic acid in legumes and stuff that affect absorbed nutrient content. And then there's factors besides that which affect your health, like the effect of soy and dairy on estrogen, stuff like that, which MFP wouldn't tell you about. I know some people know more about those things than me so I was hoping some of them would offer their input.

We can go back and forth with hypotheticals and dietary pros and cons at the end of the day you'll need to decide what you are going to obsess about least. Do you want to concern yourself with nutrient content of each item or accept that you are restricting your intake and showing a classic ED sign. By broadening your view on foods and their even broader MACRO content you'll have greater long term success with how you view your intake.

You do not a frig, you need an ice pack and a piece of paper. Again, find a solution, or make an excuse.

Best of luck, I'm out of the sandbox in this thread.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Even expert scientists are still learning about foods and food combinations, such as how tomatoes are better for you nutritionally when combined with olive oil (which is natural to an Italian, say). So you expect too much from this community.

Yet most of us here know that variety is key to nutrition. Humans are like rats. They can eat most things, and have evolved to do so.. By restricting yourself to the same thing every day, it is almost guaranteed your are going to lack SOMETHING. what that something is, I don't know.

Where do you live/ work OP that a refrigerator is such an issue? Thousands of people eat ham sandwiches every day that they have wrapped in cling film and kept in their bags and they don't die. Use an insulated cool bag, use an ice pack, your ham will be fine by lunchtime.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    If you post on the forums expect 75% criticism or personal relativity. If that's not what you want then post to your friends list, if they don't say what you want to hear then unfriend them.

I find searching the forums for something similar to see responses before putting myself out there to be most productive because most of the time people ask questions, get responses and then get defensive. By just reading someone else I don't take it personally, but still gain from what is written.

Plus asking about specific food choices in terms of "rate my diet plan!" I think you already think that what you are eating is healthy/know it and just wanted other people to agree with you on how well you are choosing foods. However, the vast variety of people on this site and different macros and diet patterns that people on this site follow prove to generate mostly criticism on the forums because we are all quite different.

Hmmm wish I had known that before I posted...I have never been on a forum before that had this kind of culture. Although looking back on it I have seen a lot of non-constructive criticisms on other peoples' diet plans, so maybe I should have known better.

Well I know my diet is on the road to being healthy but I wanted to know if maybe I was eating too many legumes or too much dairy or not enough dairy, for example, or if I might be missing out on some micronutrient. The "too many carbs" thing might have some merit to it and I am going to experiment with adding more protein next week for that reason.

I don't care if someone follows a different plan from me as long as they're healthy.

LOL, you should see baby and dog forums.
  • dbmata
    Options
    As a couple other folks mentioned, there is no creativity in the food plan, nor is there any flexibility from what I saw.

Meaning chances of long term adherence are dismal, and that in turn would make it almost worthless as a dietary plan.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Some people on this forum really need to learn how to give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

I just rated your diet with constructive comments, suggestions and examples, and you didn't bother answering something.

You're not interested in constructive criticism, you're interested in fighting people over the internet.

No, YOU are!
    Wait, what?
    Hangry.

You make me feel sad. :( Sandgry?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here:

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition." -Alan Aragon
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Eat some nuts - you will feel full after every meal and it won't feel so "restrictive". I eat more than this, very active, and never gain weight.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Eat some nuts - you will feel full after every meal and it won't feel so "restrictive". I eat more than this, very active, and never gain weight.

deez nutz?
  • optionsgod
    optionsgod Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You lost me at Cheerios with water.
    same here ! live a little have some milk, or make it really interesting..chocolate milk with some cheerios.
  • optionsgod
    optionsgod Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ok I really don't understand...what is so restrictive about this plan? What do you all usually eat?

For breakfast:

2 scrambled eggs, 2-3 slices of bacon, an English muffin
    OR
    Oatmeal with flaxseed and brown sugar
    OR
    English muffin with PB, 50-70 grams of banana, and 2-3 slices of bacon

I usually don't eat a morning snack.

Lunch:

4 oz. Boar's Head turkey breast on a low carb wrap with lettuce
    Chips or pretzels for a side

Afternoon snack(s):
    • Fiber One bar
    • Kind bar
    • Zone bar
    • Banana
    • Pretzels
    • Hummus and veggies
    • Guacamole and tortilla chips

Dinner:
    4 oz. chicken, baked potato with Earth Balance, green beans with EVOO and garlic
    OR
    6 oz. salmon, brown rice, asparagus with EVOO and garlic
    OR
    4 oz. steak, baked potato with Earth Balance, green beans with EVOO and garlic

Late night snack:
    • Popcorn
    • Rice cakes

this sounds like my kinda plan ! can we be roommates? How much brown sugar on the oatmeal? pinch?
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Its a great plan if your not looking to be around long. Otherwise, I would look into a healthier plan.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I think I better understand why you need water with your cheerios... dry greens, plain toast, cheerios and nuts... I would need water to help get all that down too!

Ummm no it's because you're supposed to drink 8 cups of water per day. Since I work in a lab I'm not allowed to eat or drink anything as I work and so I have to remember to actually go get water when I'm taking a break, or else I will get headaches.
    And whats the reason you think Americans are obese? Because people here are advising you to eat more variety and saying food should be enjoyable?

No because this person seemed soooo shocked that it's possible to eat salad without dressing and have tea with nothing in it. Food is enjoyable to me. I don't know why everyone is assuming it's not just because they don't personally like the foods I eat.

Anyway, as for the protein thing, this morning I had to use up some food in my refrigerator before going away for Thanksgiving, so I had three scrambled eggs and a Greek yogurt for breakfast and unsweetened coconut milk. That's supposedly the "high protein/high fat/includes copious amounts of animal products" breakfast everyone is telling me to have...so we'll see if I'm hungry by 10:30 or not.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was shocked at the lack of variety, the idea that tea could be "dessert," not that you could eat salad (are plain greens even a salad?) with no dressing, or other veggies. Personally, I eat tons of salad, with lots of colorful veggies (and a variety of healthy vinagrette or Greek yogurt based dressings) and I don't add anything to the wide variety of teas that I drink on a daily basis (sometimes even with my dessert.) Also, I'm not obese, so I'm not sure why my surprise would tell you anything about American obesity.

If you enjoy your menu of plain, unadorned, dry food, then great! But you asked for what we think, and I think I would die of boredom.