Two strength training questions...

Replies

• Update :

Sigh.

So.

I rejoined the gym. Hired another PT. With a goal of bulking and cutting.

My first pt was a pain in the butt he was like a drill sergeant. This one actually has a sense of humor (something in common with me) so hopefully he'll make it easier for me and at least a little enjoyable. So if I don't enjoy the exercise I will at least enjoy spending time with him.

I don't know how long I will be able to afford the gym because for a month with 3 weekly sessions its $150. It's insane. Which is one of the reasons I didn't want to do it.

I start February.
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    good for you!!!
  • Kiyy wrote: »
    good for you!!!

Meh. Lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Kiyy wrote: »
    good for you!!!

Meh. Lol

Great attitude!! :laugh:
  • randomtai wrote: »
    good for you!!!

Meh. Lol

Lol I know. I can't believe a website full of strangers convinced me to do this. What's this world coming to? :grin:
  • randomtai
    randomtai wrote: »
    good for you!!!

Meh. Lol

Lol I know. I can't believe a website full of strangers convinced me to do this. What's this world coming to? :grin:

We are rather convincing. You will be thanking us in 10 years. :flowerforyou:
    good for you!!!

Meh. Lol

I just don't know if I'm going to be able to maintain that price. $150 a month is A LOT. That's the biggest factor right now that might keep me from continuing in the future.
  • randomtai
    good for you!!!

Meh. Lol

I just don't know if I'm going to be able to maintain that price. $150 a month is A LOT. That's the biggest factor right now that might keep me from continuing in the future.

It is free to strength train. Look up you are your own gym. At the end of the day, it's your body and your choice. *shrug*
    good for you!!!

Meh. Lol

It is free to strength train. Look up you are your own gym. At the end of the day,
    dbmata wrote: »
    I just don't understand how people say "if you don't use your muscle you'll lose it".

I lift heavy things without it being weights. I carry around crates with 12litres of liquid multiple times a day from one room to another. I walk a lot. That's movement. That's using my muscle.

Because muscle is used to move...isn't it??

I'm not sitting paralyzed in a wheel chair like a person with no legs or arms.

May I ask how old you are? The younger you are the less likely you are to notice any weaknesses.

Carry 12kg isn't heavy. Lifting 25kg isn't heavy. I don't think either weight will really help build or preserve bone density. My neighbor's daughter (8 year old) carries 22.7kg bags of soil when they work on their garden.

^^ apparently anything I do at home will not be enough. So yes. I have to pay for a gym.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    I just don't understand how people say "if you don't use your muscle you'll lose it".

I lift heavy things without it being weights. I carry around crates with 12litres of liquid multiple times a day from one room to another. I walk a lot. That's movement. That's using my muscle.

May I ask how old you are? The younger you are the less likely you are to notice any weaknesses.

If ever there was an excellent time to protect your future self.

Carry 12kg isn't heavy. Lifting 25kg isn't heavy. I don't think either weight will really help build or preserve bone density. My neighbor's daughter (8 year old) carries 22.7kg bags of soil when they work on their garden.

I'm sorry, but I call BS on that. I'm 19 and I can't carry 15kg, let alone 22. I refuse to believe an 8 year old girl can carry that much.
  • randomtai
    edited November 2014

^^ apparently anything I do at home will not be enough. So yes. I have to pay for a gym.

You're paying for a gym and personal training. I provided an alternative. You have quite a bit of excuses. No one is forcing you to do anything. Like I said it's your bones and your body.
  • randomtai

I'm sorry, but I call BS on that. I'm 19 and I can't carry 15kg, let alone 22. I refuse to believe an 8 year old girl can carry that much.

My 8 year old does. Sorry you are weak. You also chose to not do strength training.
  • malavika413

My 8 year old does. Sorry you are weak. You also chose to not do strength training.

Congratulations on your very strong eight year old. I'm happy the way I am, thank you very much. I've learned to like being weak and feminine.
  • randomtai

Congratulations on your very strong eight year old. I'm happy the way I am, thank you very much. I've learned to like being weak and feminine.

Being weak does not equal feminine. :laugh:
    166.gif
  • malavika413

166.gif

To each her own, I suppose.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member

166.gif

<<<<<< Well, to be fair, she may have a point. Lifting DID give me this awesome 'stache.
  • randomtai
    Otterluv wrote: »

166.gif

<<<<<< Well, to be fair, she may have a point. Lifting DID give me this awesome 'stache.

LOL!!! That is a lovely 'stache. :P
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Update :

I don't know how long I will be able to afford the gym because for a month with 3 weekly sessions its $150. It's insane. Which is one of the reasons I didn't want to do it.

I start February.

You won't need to continue with the trainer unless you can afford it. If you can't afford it, tell the trainer up front and he'll set you up with something you can do at the gym on your own, in a timeframe that is okay for you (minutes per session , sessions per week). After the initial sessions, you just keep going and follow his plan and then buy some more sessions in a few months when you're ready to change it up a bit. Til then, you'll be adding weight to lifts regularly, getting stronger in the lifts you're doing. You just need to form the habit first, and see how great it makes you feel.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Update :

Sigh.

So.

My first pt was a pain in the butt he was like a drill sergeant. This one actually has a sense of humor (something in common with me) so hopefully he'll make it easier for me and at least a little enjoyable. So if I don't enjoy the exercise I will at least enjoy spending time with him.

I start February.

I don't know where your are, but in nyc it's $100/session and maybe down to $85 if you do a package.
  • Update :

Sigh.

So.

I start February.

I don't know where your are, but in nyc it's $100/session and maybe down to $85 if you do a package.

Not in America. I actually have a completely different currency and converted it to us dollar. Also keep in mind this is the only gym in town. They ask what they want because they have no competition.