wow. Gravity was not on his side.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is scary alright!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Please, please find another adjustment. It isn't a freak accident that happens once in a while. Never hold hundreds of pounds over your neck with an open hand.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Please, please find another adjustment. It isn't a freak accident that happens once in a while. Never hold hundreds of pounds over your neck with an open hand.

A narrowed grip spacing seems like a better deal now! >:)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    lol. I'll play with it.

It'll suck if I can't put up 245 with a closed grip. lol.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Suicide grip isn't a big deal if you do it right. I don't like it for bench but it's wonderous for my shoulders with OHP.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    Proper form and safety overrules amount of weight you are able to lift.

• uconnwinsnc1
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Suicide grip isn't a big deal if you do it right. I don't like it for bench but it's wonderous for my shoulders with OHP.

If you drop the bar for OHP it isn't going to land on your neck and heart. You can step back. Suicide grip is a big deal no matter how you do it and at no point should it ever be done. Someone with shoulder issues should look into other pressing techniques.

Never give yourself a chance to mess up because that one time you do, it is all over. We have opposable thumbs for a reason. Use them.

skip to 1:09
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I see my protein supplier now sells flavor packs. So you get 5lbs of non flavored protein and a pack of flavor on the side so you can add it to each shake to get it the way you like it... I will try this.
  • little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tested my paused bench on Monday. Got 155kg/341lb but failed the 160kg/352lb attempt just before. I haven't really programmed bench for a while so Im quite happy with it.

Thought about maxing out with a bw bench (115kg at 113kg BW) for reps, got to 10 and my heart just wasn't in it to do any more.

155kg/341lb paused

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IxXKuaYUm3Y

160kg/352lb paused fail

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oeUJpFH6Oh0

115kg/253lb x10

https://youtube.com/watch?v=38QafSvApag
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    You were really close on the 160 attempt, next time you'll get it!
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Nice lifts!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I use suicide grip myself, any other grip causes my arms to flare out and put strain on my shoulder. Suicide grip is safe if you perform your lift in a power cage with properly placed pins and chest level.

But to get in on the debate of the OP. I can only push 225 for 2 on a good day (I weight 145lbs) so I am a bigger proponent on % of BW for lifts than focusing on the weight itself.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I use suicide grip myself, any other grip causes my arms to flare out and put strain on my shoulder. Suicide grip is safe if you perform your lift in a power cage with properly placed pins and chest level.

But to get in on the debate of the OP. I can only push 225 for 2 on a good day (I weight 145lbs) so I am a bigger proponent on % of BW for lifts than focusing on the weight itself.

Thats 2 reps at over 1.5 BW.. Thats awesome.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

If you drop the bar for OHP it isn't going to land on your neck and heart. You can step back. Suicide grip is a big deal no matter how you do it and at no point should it ever be done. Someone with shoulder issues should look into other pressing techniques.

Never give yourself a chance to mess up because that one time you do, it is all over. We have opposable thumbs for a reason. Use them.

Or you can just bench in a power rack like I do and not worry about what grip you use. It's really not a big deal.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    225x2 is my max at 181lbs. Weak as piss for some reason.

Are we talking full ROM to chest here BTW not lockout practice 1/4 reps? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well done on the 9 reps OP. Strong.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    225x2 is my max at 181lbs. Weak as piss for some reason.

Are we talking full ROM to chest here BTW not lockout practice 1/4 reps? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well done on the 9 reps OP. Strong.

Nothing less my friend.
  • redfisher1974
    Options

Or you can just bench in a power rack like I do and not worry about what grip you use. It's really not a big deal.

This^ never need a spot and you can go to failure without being trapped!..lol
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You were really close on the 160 attempt, next time you'll get it!
    For sure - it looked like it wouldve been a grinder if the spotter wasnt there but wouldve still gone up.

Also, good music for lifting at that gym!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Pushed 255# for one, and have a sweet video of my pathetic attempt at 265#. What's funny is the 255# went up fairly quickly after a small stick 1/4 of the way up. 265. No dice. At all.

Back to closed grip too.