Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Muffie22 wrote: »
    LOL OK. Well I must be a scientific anomaly having lost 35lbs and still eating ice cream, full-fat dairy, cake, meat, etc etc but at a slight calorific deficit over the course of a year...

You're also 25 years old.

What about MFP user Sarauk2sf? She's in her late 40's and has managed to lose weight and recomp her body while including (in moderation) full fat items like ice cream, dairy and such.

Not everyone can (or will) follow the type of regime that Sarauk follows. I have arthritis and must be very careful as to the type and amount of exercise that I do--but, within that parameter, I have made a drastic change in my health and appearance. :)

LOL. She strength trains 3x a week. That's it. No cardio/nothing else and she has a desk job. How is that different than from what most follow? In fact, it's less than what most people try to do.

A lot of cardio can actually be counter-productive to the aging female body. Cardio is "catabolic"--that is, it tends to be decrease lean body mass. Weight-lifting, on the other hand is "anabolic"--that is, it tends to increase lean body mass. Which one do you think is better for increasing the flagging metabolism of the aging woman? I actually don't do a lot of cardio--just enough to keep my cardiovascular system healthy. She may have a better metabolism than I have to start with--many, many women are not so fortunate. It is estimated that about 40% of post-menopausal women have thyroid problems (as do I).

So first you infer that she has a rigorous training schedule most can or won't do as a reason she's able to be as she is. But now that it is "revealed" she does something that is actually average and doable, it's got to be her "better" metabolism (insinuating that it's something she's always had)???

:laugh:

Okay then.

Was she ever more than 20-30 pounds overweight?

I believe she lost about 40-45 lbs.

I think that some weight-lifters believe that you can lose all the body fat you want to with just weight-lifting alone. I have yet to see that happen with me but I certainly have improved A LOT.

I feel like the two of us are having two different conversations. I definitely was not (in this or any thread) arguing that all you need to lose any amount of body fat is lifting.

I think all that's being pointed out here is that there are certainly women on this site who are in their 40s, were once overweight/obese, exercise moderately, and haven't had the need to cut out food groups in order to lose fat.

My understanding is that certain types of diet are better for people with thyroid issues, but I don't think that necessarily carries over to the rest of the population.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    What a lot of idiotic stuff. But thanks for the feedback on that documentary. Now I don't feel so bad about missing it. I'm a postmenopausal woman who does cardio and weight training, teaches Zumba and is starting to teach aqua fitness as well as do personal training. I lost weight by eating less than I burned. And I keep it off by eating a balanced diet and doing moderate and intense activity.

Moderation and an occasional fling are the best way I've found to stay fit, alert and slim.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    LOL OK. Well I must be a scientific anomaly having lost 35lbs and still eating ice cream, full-fat dairy, cake, meat, etc etc but at a slight calorific deficit over the course of a year...

I'm 34 and eat whatever I please, and I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm an anomaly too I guess?

Well, good for you! You are not a post-menopausal, obese women.

Quit moving the goalposts.

How is that "moving the goalposts"? I have always been discussing post-menopausal, obese women.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What a lot of idiotic stuff. But thanks for the feedback on that documentary. Now I don't feel so bad about missing it. I'm a postmenopausal woman who does cardio and weight training, teaches Zumba and is starting to teach aqua fitness as well as do personal training. I lost weight by eating less than I burned. And I keep it off by eating a balanced diet and doing moderate and intense activity.

Moderation and an occasional fling are the best way I've found to stay fit, alert and slim.

You're not 25
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Well, good for you. Were you very obese then?

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It just occurred to me that it's very troubling that you have over 3,000 posts on the forums. It doesn't seem like you really know what you're talking about at all and to think you've spread that much misinformation is kind of scary...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm 34 and eat whatever I please, and I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm an anomaly too I guess?

How is that "moving the goalposts"? I have always been discussing post-menopausal, obese women.

You've blamed everything but Obama for your weight gain. It's like playing whack-a-mole with your layered misinformation.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Well, good for you. Were you very obese then?

If all you make are excuses, all that you are ever going to have are excuses.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

You've blamed everything but Obama for your weight gain. It's like playing whack-a-mole with your layered misinformation.

No, I blame my previous lack of information. Now I know how to be healthy. Do you really want to argue with my success?

• WatchJoshLift
    Options

No, I blame my previous lack of information. Now I know how to be healthy. Do you really want to argue with my success?

Pictures or it didn't happen.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that it's very troubling that you have over 3,000 posts on the forums. It doesn't seem like you really know what you're talking about at all and to think you've spread that much misinformation is kind of scary...

Now, I have the information that it took to make me successful. You can argue with it but it makes little sense to argue with my success and what I attribute it to. Many of you are apparently incensed for some reason that I cannot fathom. Is it because I don't adhere to your religion?

• WatchJoshLift
    Options

Now, I have the information that it took to make me successful. You can argue with it but it makes little sense to argue with my success and what I attribute it to. Many of you are apparently incensed for some reason that I cannot fathom. Is it because I don't adhere to your religion?

• SanteMulberry
    Options

What about MFP user Sarauk2sf? She's in her late 40's and has managed to lose weight and recomp her body while including (in moderation) full fat items like ice cream, dairy and such.

Not everyone can (or will) follow the type of regime that Sarauk follows. I have arthritis and must be very careful as to the type and amount of exercise that I do--but, within that parameter, I have made a drastic change in my health and appearance. :)

LOL. She strength trains 3x a week. That's it. No cardio/nothing else and she has a desk job. How is that different than from what most follow? In fact, it's less than what most people try to do.

A lot of cardio can actually be counter-productive to the aging female body. Cardio is "catabolic"--that is, it tends to be decrease lean body mass. Weight-lifting, on the other hand is "anabolic"--that is, it tends to increase lean body mass. Which one do you think is better for increasing the flagging metabolism of the aging woman? I actually don't do a lot of cardio--just enough to keep my cardiovascular system healthy. She may have a better metabolism than I have to start with--many, many women are not so fortunate. It is estimated that about 40% of post-menopausal women have thyroid problems (as do I).

So first you infer that she has a rigorous training schedule most can or won't do as a reason she's able to be as she is. But now that it is "revealed" she does something that is actually average and doable, it's got to be her "better" metabolism (insinuating that it's something she's always had)???

:laugh:

Okay then.

Was she ever more than 20-30 pounds overweight?

I believe she lost about 40-45 lbs.

I think that some weight-lifters believe that you can lose all the body fat you want to with just weight-lifting alone. I have yet to see that happen with me but I certainly have improved A LOT.

I feel like the two of us are having two different conversations. I definitely was not (in this or any thread) arguing that all you need to lose any amount of body fat is lifting.

I think all that's being pointed out here is that there are certainly women on this site who are in their 40s, were once overweight/obese, exercise moderately, and haven't had the need to cut out food groups in order to lose fat.

My understanding is that certain types of diet are better for people with thyroid issues, but I don't think that necessarily carries over to the rest of the population.

Those in their 40s will find that their bodies change a great deal once they reach menopause. And I have not cut out food groups. I eat carbohydrates, fats and proteins just like all the rest of you. I would be the last person to say that what applies to me applies to everyone.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

You attribute your success to your education and hard work. You've attributed the success of others here to age and good genetics (fast metabolism). Can you see how that could look bad?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    edited November 2014
    Options

Proof? I can show you a side-by-side of my success, but you first. And insinuating that younger folks are immune to CICO makes you look uninformed, even though you claim to be knowledgeable now. There's a saying that goes something like "a wise person speaks because they have something to say, fools speak because they have to say something."
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

Unfortunately, I am technologically challenged and have neither a digital camera nor the expertise to post pictures. In any case, I would not be one how is interested in plastering pictures of myself on the internet. I don't even have a Facebook account. >:)

• ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you blame the "rich" for your weight problem. Rich people aren't the ones putting food in your mouth. Changing your diet for 10 days won't fix your weight problem either. I do think it's a good idea to stay away from processed foods, but have no idea why you connect that with rich people.
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options

Unfortunately, I am technologically challenged and have neither a digital camera nor the expertise to post pictures. In any case, I would not be one how is interested in plastering pictures of myself on the internet. I don't even have a Facebook account. >:)

Heh, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to post a picture on here. I have a grandmother who is probably older than you and can use Facebook and post pictures on the interwebs, post-menopausal and all.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Check with one of my MFP friends--they have been with me every step of the way. :)