Fed Up Documentary

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    ngressman wrote: »
    I don't understand why you blame the "rich" for your weight problem. Rich people aren't the ones putting food in your mouth. Changing your diet for 10 days won't fix your weight problem either. I do think it's a good idea to stay away from processed foods, but have no idea why you connect that with rich people.

Who are you addressing your comments to?

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that it's very troubling that you have over 3,000 posts on the forums. It doesn't seem like you really know what you're talking about at all and to think you've spread that much misinformation is kind of scary...

Now, I have the information that it took to make me successful. You can argue with it but it makes little sense to argue with my success and what I attribute it to. Many of you are apparently incensed for some reason that I cannot fathom. Is it because I don't adhere to your religion?

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Check with one of my MFP friends--they have been with me every step of the way. :)

I can't see your friends because your profile is only viewable by your friends. Try again.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Muffie22 wrote: »
    LOL OK. Well I must be a scientific anomaly having lost 35lbs and still eating ice cream, full-fat dairy, cake, meat, etc etc but at a slight calorific deficit over the course of a year...

You're also 25 years old.

I'm 34 and eat whatever I please, and I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm an anomaly too I guess?

Well, good for you! You are not a post-menopausal, obese women.

Quit moving the goalposts.

How is that "moving the goalposts"? I have always been discussing post-menopausal, obese women.

You've blamed everything but Obama for your weight gain. It's like playing whack-a-mole with your layered misinformation.

No, I blame my previous lack of information. Now I know how to be healthy. Do you really want to argue with my success?

Unfortunately, I am technologically challenged and have neither a digital camera nor the expertise to post pictures. In any case, I would not be one how is interested in plastering pictures of myself on the internet. I don't even have a Facebook account. >:)

Once you hit menopause, I guess you lose the technological edge too.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    ngressman wrote: »
    I don't understand why you blame the "rich" for your weight problem. Rich people aren't the ones putting food in your mouth. Changing your diet for 10 days won't fix your weight problem either. I do think it's a good idea to stay away from processed foods, but have no idea why you connect that with rich people.

Who are you addressing your comments to?

Did you not read the original post?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and I can say with all certainty that it's a lot harder to lose weight now then it was when I was in my twenties!
    I lost the weight after both my pregnancies and my body bounced back and looked like it did before babies. Now I've lost weight again and body does not look the same as it did back then!!
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Your health doesn't matter to anyone but you. I've watched many of these documentaries and what I noticed was how horrible processed and "medicinally treated" foods are for your long-term health. However, we have the choice to seek alternatives. I firmly believe moderation and taking responsibility for how and what we eat is key. We can blame the govt for living in ignorance only for so long (and in this day of easily accessible info we can't even do that), but we definitely can't blame them for how much weight we gained. Calorie intake, serving sizes, and lack of exercise is not under their control.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    LOL OK. Well I must be a scientific anomaly having lost 35lbs and still eating ice cream, full-fat dairy, cake, meat, etc etc but at a slight calorific deficit over the course of a year...

You're also 25 years old.

I'm 34 and eat whatever I please, and I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm an anomaly too I guess?

Well, good for you! You are not a post-menopausal, obese women.

Quit moving the goalposts.

How is that "moving the goalposts"? I have always been discussing post-menopausal, obese women.

You've blamed everything but Obama for your weight gain. It's like playing whack-a-mole with your layered misinformation.

No, I blame my previous lack of information. Now I know how to be healthy. Do you really want to argue with my success?

Unfortunately, I am technologically challenged and have neither a digital camera nor the expertise to post pictures. In any case, I would not be one how is interested in plastering pictures of myself on the internet. I don't even have a Facebook account. >:)

has vast health and nutritional information but can't learn how to post a picture to the internet….

totally legit excuse…

• SanteMulberry
    Options
    It just occurred to me that it's very troubling that you have over 3,000 posts on the forums. It doesn't seem like you really know what you're talking about at all and to think you've spread that much misinformation is kind of scary...

Now, I have the information that it took to make me successful. You can argue with it but it makes little sense to argue with my success and what I attribute it to. Many of you are apparently incensed for some reason that I cannot fathom. Is it because I don't adhere to your religion?

You attribute your success to your education and hard work. You've attributed the success of others here to age and good genetics (fast metabolism). Can you see how that could look bad?

The fact remains that it is harder for some people to lose weight than others. Women have a harder time than men (women have a lower lean body mass than do men and burn fewer calories--but there is a limit as to how low any adult can go without sacrificing health). Obese people have a harder time than those who are merely "overweight" (it takes many fewer calories to maintain body fat than lean tissue). The loss of progesterone, in particular, causes estrogen to run unopposed and estrogen "loves" to build body fat (progesterone stimulates the metabolism and promotes leanness). Estrogen even blocks the uptake of iodine and that, in itself, can cause goiter if the diet is iodine deficient (which tends to be the case since our soils in many parts of the country are iodine-poor). (Progesterone enhances the uptake of iodine, by the way.) Most obese women are leptin-resistant. Since women already have 2 to 3 times as much leptin as men, even at the same body fat level, it is easy to see why obese women become leptin resistant and why they may have to address that. That has a great bearing on body fat gain or loss. I could go on and on but I think you can get the idea.

• WatchJoshLift
    Options

You attribute your success to your education and hard work. You've attributed the success of others here to age and good genetics (fast metabolism). Can you see how that could look bad?

The fact remains that it is harder for some people to lose weight than others. Women have a harder time than men (women have a lower lean body mass than do men and burn fewer calories--but there is a limit as to how low any adult can go without sacrificing health). Obese people have a harder time than those who are merely "overweight" (it takes many fewer calories to maintain body fat than lean tissue). The loss of progesterone, in particular, causes estrogen to run unopposed and estrogen "loves" to build body fat (progesterone stimulates the metabolism and promotes leanness). Estrogen even blocks the uptake of iodine and that, in itself, can cause goiter if the diet is iodine deficient (which tends to be the case since our soils in many parts of the country are iodine-poor). (Progesterone enhances the uptake of iodine, by the way.) Most obese women are leptin-resistant. Since women already have 2 to 3 times as much leptin as men, even at the same body fat level, it is easy to see why obese women become leptin resistant and why they may have to address that. That has a great bearing on body fat gain or loss. I could go on and on but I think you can get the idea.

Wow, with such vast knowledge you would think one would be able to figure out how to do something as simple as posting a picture on the internet.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I love when people start using that they are over 40 or that others weren't obese enough to prove to people they know what they are taking about when in fact they really have no argument. It's just trying to discredit others by thinking they hit 40 and become special. If that's the case anyone over 40 should never give anyone under 40 any weight loss or health advice. Since they can't relate to those under 40 doing it. No?

Well, fine you were obese, but how obese were you? Maybe not obese enough. Lol

I only know what I have learned and what has worked for me.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Wow, with such vast knowledge you would think one would be able to figure out how to do something as simple as posting a picture on the internet.

I guess post menopausal woman can't do that either…
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Check with one of my MFP friends--they have been with me every step of the way. :)

I can't see your friends because your profile is only viewable by your friends. Try again.

I'll give you the names of some of them tomorrow--I have to leave now. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just watched the Fed Up Documentary 2013 produced by Katie Couric in 2013. I don't know how I missed it? But it hit the nail on the head with my weight loss (and gain) issues starting in 1994/1995. At age 36, I weighed 129, then suddenly I went to 143, 164, 177, 199, then up to 200 plus, my highest being 217. What did I do to make this happen? I changed my diet and became what I thought was a vegetarian. I replaced meat with non meat boxed, bagged, frozen, canned substitutes. I started to gain weight...then I was pitched the "calories in/out" song by the local gym and diet guru's on television. (Richard Simmons come to mind) and after joining a gym, and starting to "exercise" I jumped from 143. to 217 in a few years. Bigger and fatter, and more out of shape, on a "vegetarian" "exercise" several hours a day plan. The ONLY time I seemed to drop weight was when I wasn't eating at all for whatever reason, sometimes a much as 4 pounds a day. I followed the Susan Powter No Fat rules, and they did help, but those replacements for meat are just as bad and any processed foods. I realize now, we the public have been 'worlded and twirled" by the truly wealthy 10% in the world, and the governments they control to control us the masses of white lab rats.

Well, this white lab rat is going on the Fed Up Challenge on December 6th, 2014 for the 10 days of no sugars, and processed foods, and in my case no meats or dairy or eggs either. Lets see what happens.

o:)

Best wishes to you and all that do that.

While I do meat and eggs I decided to go high fat and cut the sugar 7 Aug 2014 when the doctor wanted me to start injecting Enbrel for my arthritis related pain after I read what that drug can do ones body.

I got on coconut oil as my main fat BUT did not cold turkey SUGAR. 7 Oct 2014 I totally went low carb and NO added sugar for real. I have only lost 10 pounds but added a good amount of muscle since I had lost so much muscle mass over the years. Pain level has dropped from 7-8 to 2-3 and I can now get out of cars, my seat after a movie, etc without help and can walk a 1/4 mile up and down a steep hill without stopping to rest. Sugar is toxic it seems my wrecked body.

Fed Up is not junk science I found.
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options

I'll give you the names of some of them tomorrow--I have to leave now. :)

Why don't you just ask them to come onto this thread and plead your case for you?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Good point we are all different. I am guessing you are under age 60?

• SanteMulberry
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I guess post menopausal woman can't do that either…

No need to be insulting. I don't know how, but that is because I haven't been terribly motivated to learn how. I have confidence that, were I to be sufficiently motivated, I would learn how in short order. But first I'd have to purchase a digital camera. Maybe I'll ask for one for Christmas. :)

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Good point we are all different. I am guessing you are under age 60?

Oh look. Another person that is going with the age argument. Although the intake may be less than someone who is younger, it doesn't make fitting those foods impossible or "horrible" when done in moderation, nor does it mean it will automatically impede your health or weight/fitness goals.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I'm 42 and I can say with all certainty that it's a lot harder to lose weight now then it was when I was in my twenties!
    I lost the weight after both my pregnancies and my body bounced back and looked like it did before babies. Now I've lost weight again and body does not look the same as it did back then!!

Thank you. You can see what I've been talking about. :)