WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Now, what was I sayng about sleeping better??????? Wide awake after two hrs. sleep with an unhappy tummy. I ate some tuna salad that had maybe been in the fridge a bit too long is all I can figure; it's like a bowling ball in my belly right now and the grated onion that was in it is repeating........yuck. Usually I have pretty much one of those "cast iron" stomachs;pushed it too far this time, I think.

Margaret...........Lovely flowers, made even more so by the drab damp chill weather we had today. Thank you.

Heather.........Glad the child is on the way back; a sometmes dangerous undertaking, getting kids back from other countries. Nice that you got caught up with your relatives and most thought you were glam.......what a boost!

47Jacqueline........I do remember you. Sorry to hear you broke it; but glad your leg healed so well.

Kim........We got our Christmas tree from my uncle's farm or would have done without when I was small. I am still amazed at how I totally mssed the fact that we were so poor until I was much older.

Michele...........I am so glad for you that you got to see Denise, even if it was for only a short time.

Barbie........Yes, you can do it; no doubt in my mind, you will be absolutely charming!

Joyce........This is an official injection of Christmas Spirit!!!! Now, go forth and be merry for the season! I do think money is the most appreciated gift if it gives them "breathing space" on a few bills. Stress relief is a great gift.

Going to read a bit and then try to sleep again.
    yanniejannie

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Heather: lots of good news for you!

Joyce: I don’t have much Christmas spirit yet either, and I have to think of gifts quickly because they all have to be mailed.

Kim: I know what you mean about your Mom. I think that all the time too (mine’s just turned 84).

Sylvia: {hug} Does your bank have one of those systems where you can register all your cards, driver’s license, passport etc.? Mine does, and it saved me one time when I was pickpocketed. One call and they block all your cards immediately. Some even do the paperwork to get the cards replaced.

Quiet day working here; I’ve got lots of it today, so it will be a sedentary day. Hope I can do reasonably well on the calories. My guy has been away for two days; coming back today. His cold is apparently getting better, so that’s good. ;) I can feel my body struggling to fight getting it. Have been sleeping a LOT.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

No news yet on how the journey with the child went. I expect they are still in the air. Hope all went well through security. :ohwell:
    I would love to post the photo of DH'S nephew holding his smiling child with his sister behind him, but I don't think it would be appropriate. He looks one relieved and happy father, if a bit exhausted and sweaty! ! ! ! ! :love:

Barbie - I am with you on "putting on a smiling face ". I am very good at it, but it takes a great deal out of me. I seem to gather the tension in my body and really feel it the next day with stiffness and muscle aches. I can only be sociable for a limited amount of time, but I need a lot of time on my own or only with DH. The last evening with my friends in Brighton was almost too much for me and I had to keep telling myself it would be over soon. Boy was I exhausted the next day! I love people and most people think of me as sociable and fun, but I actually need a LOT of "downtime". :ohwell:
    - I have always been the same. At school I used to take a day off about once a fortnight, forging the notes from my parents. My parents were both at work so they had no idea that I was having a "sorting out my head" day, as I thought of it. I have had long periods of severe depression in my life so I suppose it's all part of my personality type and a result of my upbringing. When I was depressed I ate a lot, mainly carbs, and put on masses of weight.
    - Anyway, just thinking aloud, but I know you will be the perfect hostess Barbie! :flowerforyou:

Will be clearing the bedroom after lunch. Hate disruption and disorder. Luckily we really like the painter who owns the house in France we stayed in last May. :bigsmile:

Love Heather in sunny Hampshire UK. - we have had the third warmest autumn since records began!
    27681614.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    morning friends~
    trying to type with the dogs head on the mousepad...
    today I am baking the cookies for my dad,and sweeping and washing the floors and vacuming the car and starting to pack it..
    found a PKD group on facebook and it is wonderful to speak with people in the same position as me.
    want to get a few more things.to make fudge and I want to make gingerbread cookies too.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    Here is the note I got from VIv this morning:

Hi Barbie

Just a quick note to let you know that I am hanging on in there. It is very hard and I am going through the motions, but not much is sinking in at the moment.

Could you please thank everyone for me for their kind wishes - everyone has been so kind and supportive.

I will be back after Christmas, as you can imagine, Christmas will be low key this year, we will make an effort though for Kain's sake (our darling grandson).

Thanks Barbie

Viv x

I know we are all thinking about her loss and wishing her well.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Just a quick note to give you the link to the newspaper article I told you was coming.

http://www.joplinglobe.com/news/lifestyles/solitary-artists-find-solidarity-in-group/article_e4bf37a8-b59c-5394-a76a-1c228ca512bd.html?mode=jqm

I was very disappointed with it, as usual. Devastated, actually. Really mortified. The photos are just awful. There is a very old, very fat, very ugly woman in those pictures. I'm just sure that can't be me. In my defense, I was wearing two sweatshirts (it's cold in there first thing in the morning, plus I didn't want my arms to show) and leaning forward at the wheel the loose skin on my face all slumps forward. And all that gray hair must be a trick of the light. And the pots she chose to photograph are some of my least favorite ever! You have to click on the picture of the pots to see the ones of me, so maybe nobody will see them.

So now it seems like all my hard work over the last two years was for nothing. I don't look any better than I did 120 pounds ago. Not one little bit. Why did I bother. Well, I guess it's because I do feel better than I did two years ago, but I was hoping to look a little better, too.

So sad.

Sylvia

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Ah Syl, you've been having a tough time and then I think everything seems wrong. I know the feeling when you see a photo of yourself and it doesn't seem like what you have in your mind. But I see a cute woman who looks like fun. And I know even without seeing the photos (from back in the day) that you've made huge progress (really amazing progress). Wish I lived closer so I could give you a hug. :flowerforyou:
    P.S. I couldn't get the video link to work; can you?
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Thanks so much for your continued prayers and good wishes for Mariah. It all helps! I'll let her mom know that this wonderful group of prayer warriors continues to send healing thoughts and positive energy. :heart:

Wishing you all the best,

jb in crystal clear, verrrrrry cold Portland :glasses:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Cynthia, no I couldn't, but I didn't try very hard. My husband said he couldn't get it to work either.

Letting them come take pictures was a big mistake. I can't stop crying just thinking about it. I've always had a "thing" about having my picture taken, so this was WAY, WAY outside my comfort zone in the first place. Hubby takes pictures of me sometimes but very seldom lets me see. And he certainly doesn't put them in the newspaper or online. I just thought that I had changed so much that it would surely show in the pictures, but it didn't. I still see that 300 pound woman sitting there. Please, somebody tell me that the camera adds a hundred pounds!

So, I'm going to try to think of something else entirely.

One thought I had, was this year I might try something new for the kids. Instead of doing Christmas stockings, I think I'm going to do Christmas Jeans instead. They could all use some new jeans, so I'll get each a pair and decorate them with ribbons and bows and put their stocking stuffers and small gifts inside. Maybe staple the legs closed at the bottom, which would be easy to remove later. Doesn't that sound like fun? Maybe hubby can think of a way to hang them from the mantle, all in a row. Just think of all the fun things we could put in there. Even a little money in the pocket!

Of course, the little guy would have less room in his, but we could work out something.

One of my friends just emailed me that I made the cover of the Lifestyles section in the paper. Oh, joy. I sure hope it attracts people to our show and doesn't chase them away.

Well, I'm off to clean the kitchen.

Have a nice day everyone.

Sylvia
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sylvia - don't give yourself a hard time. :flowerforyou: You look like someone who is concentrating on the job in hand and so what if it isn't the best angle! Give yourself a pat on the back for having come so very far AND for being such an accomplished potter. I actually love the pots. :flowerforyou:
    - I couldn't find the video either.
    - Next time insist on your best side ( :bigsmile: ) and smile like a film star! ! ! You are a fantastic woman who does so much to make the world a better place. (*)
    - Heather x
  • barbiecat
    edited November 2014
    Options
    smiley-happy026.gifKim, by the time I started doing planks, I had been doing a lot of other weight training including crunch challenges.....slow and steady wins the race, if you do a 5 second plank for several days, you will be able to do 7 after that and gradually work up to longer...I am in awe of your mom and want to grow up to be just like her...thanks for the suggestion of focusing on the kid when our guests are here

smiley-happy026.gifJoyce, your gift giving dilemma makes me happy that we don't give gifts to anyone--not even our kids or grandkids.

smiley-happy026.gifMIchele, your holiday sounds interesting....thanks for the great narrative----you have a great way of finding a chance for exercise and navigating around all the food challenges---our new phone is AT&T CL84102--it has a corded handset on the base and two cordless handsets, caller id, and caller id announce (so you can hear who the call is from without getting up to look at the caller id)--it should be here before the end of the week.

smiley-sleep012.gifyanniejannie, just about the time I think I'm sleeping better, something comes along to disrupt things again.....when I do have a good night's sleep, I put it on my gratitude list in the morning.

smiley-happy026.gifHeather, I don't have any sort of depression, but I need a lot of time by myself or with my hubby. He is such a good friend that he is always saying "yes, we'd love to see you" to his friends and then wishing they weren't coming when the time comes for the visit.

smiley-happy026.gifSylvia, do not be discouraged. If you don't like the pictures, don't look at them. You have come a long way and have the tools to continue your journey. I couldn't get the link to work for me, so you will continue to be slim and beautiful and talented just like I've always seen you.

smiley-happy026.gifToday it is 22 degrees so everything is frozen. There is a way I can walk around the block and avoid the icy streets so I was able to walk the dogs and then walk by myself. I have over 10,000 steps. Now I'm waiting for the bathroom to warm up enough to take a shower. Jake built a fire and I'll be wearing the wool sweater I knit for myself a few years ago. I don't know what time our guests are coming.

smiley-bounce014.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”smiley-bounce012.gif --today I was especially mindful of my walking to avoid any slipping on the icy patches
  • barbiecat
    edited November 2014
    Options

Sylvia,
    I just found the article by going to the Joplin Globe website and read the article and saw the pictures. The article was beautiful about the work you do, and in your pictures you remind me of one of my best friends that I love dearly. I was endeared to you by your pictures and others will be, too. Once again, do not be discouraged. You have done and continue to do awesome things in your life. Give yourself an extra hug from me.

<3 Barbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yanniejannie: Yesterday we had family all day. DSIL, DBIL, DN & DGN (Dear Niece and Dear Grand Nephew) had lunch with us and we had a fun shopping trip to discount stores looking for Christmas decorations for DN to spray paint silver. After they left, we went to a local tavern to watch the Ducks play the Beavers with our neighbors. This was the annual “Civil War” game. The Ducks won easily and will be playing AZ for the league championship next. We’re hoping for a good slot for a bowl game on New Years weekend. The Ducks are the only team that I care enough about to watch. DH and I are both graduates of the U of O & met there. :heart_eyes: That is why they’re so special to us. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I love the flowers and the sentiment! Today is my day to dig out decorations. :flowerforyou:

Heather: So happy to hear good news about the child being rescued from the Philippines. I hope they can come home and be secure. The family comments on your transformation sound familiar. I’ve heard the “don’t lose any more” comments, too. I have dropped a pound or so since cutting out alcohol. I’ll get into the adjustment of it soon enough. I don’t have your gift for glam though I admire it. :flowerforyou:

Tngram2seven: My weight came off slowly and has stayed off. The slow loss helped my body adjust and stay healthy and gave me time to learn new habits. I’ve lost quickly in the past, and regained quickly, too. Be patient with the process. It is miraculous and the end results are worth the wait. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I’m sending you a good dollop of virtual patience and hope the visit with Jake’s DF and his young family goes well. Your game plan sounds excellent. Your cold weather didn’t reach down far enough for us to get much. We did have our first frost of the season. Thanks so much for passing on the information from Viv. I’m sending healing thoughts her way. :flowerforyou:

Kim: You’re quite the social butterfly. Seeing family is challenging, but spending time with your mom while you can is wise. :heart: Making good memories is important. DS and DDIL live over a hundred miles away to the north of us, and DD and family live over a thousand miles to the east. Seeing them takes effort. DS and DDIL visit often enough that we feel close to them, and we take our turns visiting them. DD is much more challenging to see. :flowerforyou:

Michele: I still watch Pioneer Woman but don’t aspire to cook the things she makes. I imagine her family survives the food without gaining a ton of weight because they do a lot of physical work running a ranch. My life isn’t that active. I also can’t actually eat much of what she cooks due to butter, cream, and so on. She gives Paula Deen a run for her money on the butter issue. :laugh:

Alison: What is PKD? I feel like I missed important information. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I loved the pots the reporter photographed and can only imagine how great your favorites were. As to the photos of you—you look like a dear friend. :heart: I agree with Cynthia that you look like a cute woman who looks like fun. You also look like a healthy woman who is full of life. At our ages, none of us looks her best when leaning over. I remember seeing a picture of Brigitte Bardot in a bikini on the beach when she was in her 80s. I was so judgmental at the time because she looked her age and was in a bikini. :noway: Bleah on my past self. We’re getting older and better, but we don’t look like twenty-somethings anymore. :flowerforyou:

I am planning to put up Christmas decorations today, and that means getting a lot of boxes out of the attic in the garage. I’m not sure how that will go, as it is really a two person endeavor and DH needs to be VERY careful in what he does. We may tone down our display if need be and put out fewer things than usual. He’s making an excellent recovery from his back surgery and I don’t want to put it at risk.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Oh, Sylvia, you look like an artist, hard at work......please don't tear yourself down for moving out of your comfort zone and no way do I see 300lbs!!! Kudos to you for opening up possibilities to other people to want to learn the craft. I think the pieces are lovely, maybe the writer picked those because they looked like the most difficult to produce.....or maybe she just really liked them best. Speaking for myself, I am in awe of your amazing talent. Could not find a video, so getting it to work was not in question. Add my hugs to those of everyone else!!! I don't think any of us photograph as we see ourselves; and maybe that's a good thing for us all.
    I ended up in a group photo which is in a calendar right now and I look as uncomfortable as I felt when it was taken; I will forever wish I had missed the meeting when it was taken. I will have a whole month of people looking at me.

Fell back asleep on the couch and slept pretty well; feel fine today.

I have also found myself at events and places where I realized I was wishing I was home where I didn't have to "make nice" with people.

Sylvia.......On the jeans..brilliant idea BTW!!!......you could put them on those pincher hangers and still use mantle stocking hooks.

Warm here today.
    yanniejannie

• barbiecat
    Options
    Sylvia, I forgot to say how much I love the idea of hanging jeans "by the chimney with care "and filling them with goodies for the children....you are so creative :D
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, your jean idea is so creative the kids will love it. You could use a shower ring they are sturdy cheap and could hang it from the belt loop

Juanita
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sylvia ... I'm with the others on your article and photo shoot. Only YOU see a 300 pound woman ... the rest of us absolutely DO NOT! Thank you for sharing the link to the story ... I enjoyed it very much! {{{hugs}}}

• cityjaneLondon
    Options
    You could just tie the bottoms of the jeans with ribbons. What a great idea! You deserve the Best Ever Grandma Award. :love:
  • monicabroadbentswearingen
    Options
    I posted earlier but I can't find it. So I will try again.
    My name is Monica I am from Stratford South Dakotal. Started MFP over 80 days ago, still working hard on getting it all together. Like the idea of have a support group in my age bracket. My highest wt. was 208 lbs then finally got to 183 lbs. this has happen severyal time's the last 5 yrs. Yoyoing back and forth between the 2 wts. So this time I started to gain, only 4 lbs but that was enough for me to seek help. Seeing a Doctor and she got me on a program and for the first time in 15 yrs I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Like everyone else, I can always use extra support and would like to help support others also. Here's to support groups.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    welcome Monica~
    chime right in, would love to get to know you.. we are a very supportive group and great friends~
    Katla~PKD is Poly Cystic Kidney Disease,my mom passed it to me.. isnt that just swell?
    she passed away at 65 of end stage kidney disease.. and it is a life threating disease,basically cysts cover the kidneys and shut them down... I have dealt with it for the past 18 yrs and go twice a year to see the nepherologist(kidney dr) I am stage 3 of 5.. have been feeling just fine up until the past few months with the pain in the kidneys..I have an ultrasound this thursday so we shall see, and I go see the kidney dr mid january..
    ..DFIL was in bed when we went there late morning, refused 2 of his meals yesterday,today he didnt eat breakfast, well when we went I was able to get him to down his cookies,even though he was lying in bed..made him drink water in between bites so he wouldnt choke..
    they got him up and dressed for lunch and he ate well,
    I came home and made him some of his lemon meringue pies, in muffin tins and brought those down ,my BIL and SIL were down there and he was sitting in the rec room, so I fed him one of the pies and he liked it.. those are soft and he can get those down easy... so we went to see him twice today....
    swept and washed the floors, did 2 loads of laundry and made my dad his favorite nut cookies ,his mom used to make them, so they were his Christmas Present,, dropped those off and he was chowing down on those as I was chatting with him.. so we made the rounds
    I am tired now ,just waiting for the laundry in the dryer, and then will just relax