Healthy sugar free dessert

Options
124»

Replies

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    My sister brought a Snickerdoodle pie to Thanksgiving. She called it a "no sugar added" pie. Sugar free vanilla pudding, lite cool whip, crushed snickerdoodles, on a graham cracker crust. It was amazing. Personally I think it's a stretch to call it "no sugar added" when it has crushed cookies in it… but it fit the bill for what she was looking for, so maybe it'll work for you too. And it really was amazing. Unfortunately I can't find a recipe online that sounds similar… but maybe you can play with it.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Crackers and cheese with grapes on the side. You can then choose a variety of low fat or standard cheeses and portion control will sort out the rest.

This idea reminds me of when I was lucky enough to have a 'private' dinner party at a very posh hotel in Banff.

The dessert I choose was the cheese and nut plate.

OMG - that was SO incredibly satisfying - it also came with some beautiful grapes and of course the quality of cheese/nuts, etc., was super high quality products.

From what I remember there might have been dates and figs too.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I imagine that black bean brownies may be low in sugar, but you would have to double check the recipe. Also, some people get turned off by the idea of eating black beans in dessert, so you'd have to be careful. Otherwise, I guess fruit (like others have said) would be a good option for dessert, but you would have to check with those who have diabetes. My grandma has diabetes and is not allowed more than a small apple, but I think sometimes it depends on the person.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I made a modified version of these date squares that is an amazing desert with no sugar added.

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/03/28/5-ingredient-no-bake-vegan-date-squares/

For modification I add some oats, add some toasted coconut flakes to the crust, add pecan halves to the top crust, sometimes use brazil nuts too, skip the salt, and reduce by about 1/4 the amount of coconut oil.
  • ironangel250
    ironangel250 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    merazt2013 wrote: »
    what dessert can you make that your guests will love that's healthy & you wont feel so bad eating
    I make a dessert that is really good and almost sugar free- it's a no- bake pudding eclair cake- Google it, there are many variations to the recipe but I use sf vanilla pudding, lite cool whip, graham crackers and sf chocolate frosting. I get lots of compliments on it when I make it.

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gummy bears are excellent, especially if you want to become best friends with the closest toilet. >:)

Anyways, in an attempt to be helpful, there are some sugar-free chocolate and puddings available. You can only have a serving of one though, or the sugar alcohols will cause a ton of gastrointestinal upset.

Personally, I've gotten used to drinking either black coffee (0g carbs), Atkins chocolate candies (110 kcals and 1g net carbs), or hot chocolate with some whipped cream (around 100kcal and 15g net carbs) as dessert.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Sugar free gummy bears are excellent, especially if you want to become best friends with the closest toilet. >:)

The reviews on Amazon are fantastic.
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wow people are so adamant that their way is the best way. Maybe it is. But she wants reduced sugar, from what I can tell, reduced added sugar. Personally an apple does fill me up more than a few teaspoons of sugar, so I'd find it healthier because it helps to reduce overall caloric intake. I feel like everyone know this, it's beyond me, why you would choose to avoid answering OP's questions without having to putting in your own opinion on diet. Not interested in arguing, but I felt compelled to say just how rude some of you come across and can see why some people may feel intimidated.
    :\
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

eat 5000 calories of apples and see what happens…something tells me you will gain ...

My, oh my! Eat about 100 apples all in a day? My stomach would rupture!!!!!

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Why feel bad eating anything? If cooking for guests make something delicious don't worry about sugar free or whatever, the focus should be on giving them something they will enjoy, they aren't on a diet

How do you know they are not on a diet, or diabetic? What is wrong with wanting to make something delicious that is also not a big sugar bomb?
    ^^I'm with this^^
    Food at my house is generally tasty and more macro friendly. Be that for me or guests..
    After all, I wanna eat it too.. most people don't know the difference unless you make a show of it!
  • 19wilson88
    19wilson88 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Baked fruit! Baked peaches, pears, apples are all delicious. Just sprinkle them with cinnamon and a tiny bit of butter. Add a little brown sugar or sweetener of choice, or don't! Delicious either way. Diabetics might need a 1/2 portion, but I that's not my expertise.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I would make two desserts. One for dieters and one for non dieters. (Maybe someone already said that.)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    Here's my recipe for chocolate mousse and only 1 tbsp of added sugar.

INGREDIENTS

8 oz of Belgium dark chocolate
    5 tbsps of water (can replace water with a liquor)
    5 eggs separated
    2 tbsp unsalted butter
    1 tbsp crème fraiche
    pinch of salt
    1 tbsp of sugar

METHOD

Over a double boiler melt the chocolate and water slowly, the chocolate should be warm, not hot. Take off heat and add butter and crème fraiche and whip in the egg yolks, one at a time. Whip egg whites adding a pinch of salt and half way through add the sugar. You want the whites to be stiff but not dry. Add in 1 or 2 big dollops of the whites and blend into the chocolate to lighten up the mixture. Add the remaining whites in 2 stages, folding gently each time. Scrape into individual dishes or into one large container, your choice, and let sit in the fridge overnight.