Making a Lifestyle Change (or Plus Sized and OK with it)

Options

Replies

• Femme_TC1527
    Options
    Congratulations on completing your first week!! :-)
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the step to change. Make sure you have regular visits with your doctor to adjust your eating and exercise if necessary.
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    So, yes, a healthy person can be overweight.. for a period of time. But the fact is, being smaller in size is a side effect of being healthy. If you have the right behaviors (eating properly and exercising routinely), you will naturally get smaller as a result of these actions.
    So while I don't feel like you should have to have a certain number in your head that you want to hit, if you are healthy, weight loss will come with that.

I am glad that you have decided to become healthy, and support you in your weight loss goals, and I applaud you for focusing on healthy versus vanity.

I just wanted to reiterate that with health comes weight loss.

From a personal standpoint, I can tell you that since I've started my weight loss journey, any time I've gained a couple pounds, I can feel it, and I feel TERRIBLE... so I get back on the right track and feel good again... So if you do it for health and for how you feel.. I don't think you will stop still being overweight. I do think it's good that you're starting yourself out with a smaller goal. I'd just advise to see how you feel then, and if you feel good, keep going!! Not for vanity, but for you feel...
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    logg1e wrote: »
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    Because maybe she LIKES having a bigger, curvier body. Not everyone has to have the same beauty standard. Not everyone has to want to be thin.

I think that some of us are questioning because her goal isn't to be thin or beautiful. It's to be healthy. Being over-weight is not healthy. Being a healthy weight is healthy.
    Why is that anyone's business but hers?

Because she started a thread "throwing it out there".

Aren't body builders and many athletes technically overweight? Are they all unhealthy?

I can't talk about health . . . but in regards to weight yes they are but not plus sized . . . she said she wants to stay plus sized.

What's the difference between "overweight" and "plus sized"?

Overweight is based on your BMI - which a lot of healthy people are technically overweight. However, remember all those posts about how the same volume of fat takes up less space than fat? Well here's where the plays in . . . Body builders and athletes have an amazing amount of muscle on them, so they weigh a lot more than they look like they do because they're more compact, if you will. So for how tall they are, they might fall outside of their "normal" BMI but when they go shopping, they are not shopping in the plus size section, unless it's a body builder looking for t shirts lol

Plus size is a clothing size - for example, a woman who is 5'5 and weighs 220 lbs could wear a size 16 (I don't know for sure, but let's say), but then another woman who weighs 220lbs only wears a size 10. They both weigh the same, but one wears a plus size and the other can shop at normal stores. Maybe they are both technically overweight, but the one who wears a size 10 wears a regulation size, if you will.

When she says plus size, I imagine she wants to still technically wear sizes 14 and up, which is where most plus size lines start. Being overweight is simply just that you're outside of the normal BMI for your height, which as you said even some athletes are.

To me, being plus sized and being overweight are two very different things . . .
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    This is now the second post I've read today where the poster got upset about people who had the nerve to respond. I honestly and truly do not understand why people "put themselves out there" and then get upset when they get input that isn't purely rainbows and unicorn farts.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    So this is where all the Meghan Trainor fans are hanging out.

Just for the record, what exactly are you intimating by your suggestion that any of us are Meghan Trainor fans? I don't take your meaning.

He means, "I'm a troll and everyone should really be ignoring me".
    Not at all. I thought that people would be able to identify with her song and feel uplifted at the message. You don't have to be a stick figure barbie to be happy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    This is now the second post I've read today where the poster got upset about people who had the nerve to respond. I honestly and truly do not understand why people "put themselves out there" and then get upset when they get input that isn't purely rainbows and unicorn farts.

She didn't ask anyone to critique her plan, though. She was seeking like minded MFP friends. Where else but the forums would one do that?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Because maybe she LIKES having a bigger, curvier body. Not everyone has to have the same beauty standard. Not everyone has to want to be thin.

I think that some of us are questioning because her goal isn't to be thin or beautiful. It's to be healthy. Being over-weight is not healthy. Being a healthy weight is healthy.

Aren't body builders and many athletes technically overweight? Are they all unhealthy?

Well, quite. The typical idea here is how rugby players have unhealthily high BMIs. But I don't think that's what the OP means when she says she's "plus size".

I'm just saying that BMI isn't as accurate a health indicator as people in this thread seem to be saying it is. I know that obesity carries a lot of related health risks, but how 'plus sized' do you need to be in order to automatically be unhealthy? A pound, a kilo, 20 pounds? According to some BMI charts I've seen, I'd be overweight at 130 pounds. Would I also therefore unhealthy at that weight? My GW is 140, btw.

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    HERE is what I learned about body fat (since being diagnosed with type II diabetes) Body fat acts as an insulin filter... IE it "dilutes" the insulin your body is capable of producing... more of you... means less insulin to go around you... Therefore to reduce the stress on your pancreas it is important to maintain a body composition with as little fat as possible MORE particularly IF you are genetically predisposed to Diabetes (Both my parents and grandparents developed stage II later in life). Excess weight... does NOT do a body good... more pressure on joints, excessive stress on the circulatory system... ALL lead to a poorer quality of life as a person ages. Certainly the world is populated by folks living with varied body compositions...plenty of overweight and obese folk that will never develop type II diabetes... BUT if your destiny is in your hands.. WHY would you NOT do all you can to ensure the highest quality of life.. especially IF you are going to make the effort to begin with? in the end.. it seems like the OP is saying.. at some point... she'll look in the mirror and say "Meh... Good enough..." who are WE to argue that personal mediocrity is wrong? DO we NOT ALL settle at some point? SO what is wrong with someone who openly announces that 1/2 measures .. are perfectly fine with her?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    see what I did there??? B)
  • sofaking6
    Options
    I suspect the OP is taking issue with people accusing her of being a lazy quitter for not having their idea of perfection as her target. There's a lot of wiggle room in between "love you rainbow" and "you're a total failure".
  • acorsaut89
    Options

Well, quite. The typical idea here is how rugby players have unhealthily high BMIs. But I don't think that's what the OP means when she says she's "plus size".

I'm just saying that BMI isn't as accurate a health indicator as people in this thread seem to be saying it is. I know that obesity carries a lot of related health risks, but how 'plus sized' do you need to be in order to automatically be unhealthy? A pound, a kilo, 20 pounds? According to some BMI charts I've seen, I'd be overweight at 130 pounds. Would I also therefore unhealthy at that weight? My GW is 140, btw.

But that's the point - see BMI is a number and what I would look like at 140 and what you would look like at that weight would be incredibly different and I would probably look too thin at that weight because I'm 5'9 almost 5'10. However, we could wear the same size - like lets say we both wear a size 8 . . . we are the same size, but our weight could be 30 or even 40 lbs difference.

That's why I'm asking why she still wants to be plus sized. Weight isn't what I'm asking . . . it's wanting to wear size 14+
  • sofaking6
    Options

But that's the point - see BMI is a number and what I would look like at 140 and what you would look like at that weight would be incredibly different and I would probably look too thin at that weight because I'm 5'9 almost 5'10. However, we could wear the same size - like lets say we both wear a size 8 . . . we are the same size, but our weight could be 30 or even 40 lbs difference.

That's why I'm asking why she still wants to be plus sized. Weight isn't what I'm asking . . . it's wanting to wear size 14+

Ah - I guess I'm assuming OP used that interchangeably with overweight...maybe not tho! Thanks..

• acorsaut89
    Options
    Good morning!

Hi, I'm Tina, aka Tea. I've successfully completed my first week with MFP, which included two holiday mine fields that I didn't blow too badly. Yay, me!

Browsing the boards, I see a lot of people here starting this journey wanting to completely transform themselves, and that's great. However, I'm not one of those people. I'm plus sized and I'm more than ok with it. My weight loss goal is 55 lbs, which will still leave me firmly in the Plus category when all is said and done. I'm looking to get healthier, watch what I eat, and sure, lose weight, but I REALLY want to feel better and improve my health overall. I don't want to develop diabetes or any other conditions that my doctor warns me about.

I'm tossing that out here in the hopes that I can meet some other like minded people as I start this journey. It's very nice to meet you, I hope we can be friends. :smiley:

~Tina

Hi T1na, I never respond to these things, so sorry if it's a bit clumsy. Don't listen to these ignorant fools on this website. They are absolutely WRONG in their approach and they need to read some weight loss research. I am a Registered Dietitian and Certified Personal Trainer and a healthy lifestyle coach for 10+ years. By losing 55 lbs, you will lower your risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease significantly, even if you are STILL in the "overweight" category. Your balanced "lifestyle change" approach will help protect you against yo-yo dieting, which causes long term weight gain and disease. READ THE BOOK "Intuitive Eating" by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch.
    + Also, those who practice healthy lifestyle habits (eat a healthy diet, drink in moderation, exercise regularly, and lower stress) who are overweight have a lower risk of disease than those who are of "healthy weight" but do not have these healthy lifestyle factors. AND CRITICS- you might want to ask yourself what you are getting out of telling this woman that she can't be OK with being overweight? I mean, have you honestly given up every unhealthy thing in YOUR life? Or have you maybe accepted that you have certain traits you are not going to change, and worked on other ones? Have you committed REALLY committed yourself to eating 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day? Are they organic?
    Oh, ya , and one more thing. I love all of the people who say "I respect your choice" and then proceed to tell you why you are wrong. SKINNY OBSESSED SOCIETY!!! GET A FRIGGIN" LIFE!!!!!! Also watch this clip from Ted Talks http://www.ted.com/talks/sandra_aamodt_why_dieting_doesn_t_usually_work?language=en

Why half *kitten* anything?

Why say ok so I'm half out of the woods for developing diabetes? I'm half way to being kind of healthy?

Sure being "thin" and eating crap and treating your body like crap won't end well for anyone . . . but those of us who are overweight, put incredible strain on our bodies by doing this. If you can completely reduce the risks, why not?
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

I can't talk about health . . . but in regards to weight yes they are but not plus sized . . . she said she wants to stay plus sized.

What's the difference between "overweight" and "plus sized"?
    Plus sized is "Size." If you're a bodybuiler, and are overweight by BMI calculators, You're not gonna be as large a "Size." A person with fat and a person with muscle can both weigh 200 lbs but I can guarantee the one with fat will be much larger.

• Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Nothing wrong with wanting to be plus-sized, assuming you're expecting an apocalyptic event to take place and are counting on your body fat stores to keep you alive during the harsh winter. Only problem is getting away from the wolves....

(yes I'm kidding)

In all seriousness, I don't get the rationale. Why do something half-way?
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    If you think at a specific poundage loss you suddenly and miraculously feel better and are healthy, I've got bad news for you. The goal itself is great, being healthier is more important than looking good, but I'd be cautious about attaching a specific number to that. That's not how it works.

You can be slightly over-weight and still healthy. For a few years, I was over-weight, but generally healthy. My blood pressure was good, cholestrol was good, etc. The only thing the doctor said was that I could stand to lose a few pounds. Granted, things went downhill from that point until now, but generally speaking, I was a size 14, 185 pounds, and healthy.

I think everybody approaches this differently. If you feel like losing 50 pounds is a good idea, then go for it. Maybe after the 50, you'll want to keep going and get down to what the government and health officials claim as a healthy weight. Or, maybe after the 50 you'll feel better overall, and want to maintain at that weight. It's your choice. Everybody is different, and every body is different.
  • MsHoo
    MsHoo Posts: 4
    Options
    OMG.... people just congratulate her on the mindset to start losing weight and call it a day. She doesn't need all this. Whe she loses 55lbs she might want to keep going, or not! Stop bashing and start encouraging.....................
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Wow, I went away to have a healthy lunch and come back to a couple of PMs that there was a "sh@tstorm" happening in my introduction thread were not lying (thank you, lovely people for the warnings! xo)!

First off, thank you all for taking a moment to chime in. While I don't exactly feel welcomed, I think that this is a teaching moment for all those that think that I have to be free of my fat to be healthy and happy.

This is my journey, not yours. My fat is my business, not yours. You do NOT get to judge me. You know NOTHING about my life, history or motivations. I won't be bullied nor shamed into changing my goals to be more palatable to your worldview.

For those of you who have been very welcoming and messaged/friended me, thank you very much. I appreciate your genuine interest and kindness. I hope that we can all meet our goals together!

XO!
    Tina

Well then, to put this simply . . . don't post on here.

Most people on here are here to get healthy . . . not to stay plus sized. If that's what you want, fantastic. I want to run a 5K, and then a 10K and maybe some point in my life a half marathon. I want to wear a size 10 pants . . . I want to lift heavy and I want to be able to treat myself to the things I want. I don't want a risk of diabetes or high blood pressure or MS (which my mom has and I'm more susceptible to it, it's not genetic but there's a chance) further I have a blood disorder that I was born with that I want to be able to managed without blood thinners. Do you know what it's like to tell people I'm on blood thinners and have been for a majority of my life? Most people associate blood thinners with being fat.

Those are the things I want - the things I think about every single day . . . and I don't post about them on here because there are none of anyone else's business. If you don't want people's comments - good and bad - then don't post on here. If you post, it's fair game.

A size 10 is considered "plus size" to many people. Many size 10's are also technically overweight. When I weigh 180 pounds, I am a size 10. Pretty good size, I think, but at 5'9", I would still be overweight. However, I could also be just a healthy and fit as a smaller woman. I'll say it again- you can be overweight and fit and healthy.

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

She didn't ask anyone to critique her plan, though. She was seeking like minded MFP friends. Where else but the forums would one do that?[/quote]

This. She came here looking for support and she was essentially attacked for not wanting to "go all the way". Some even had the nerve to tell her that if she only wanted to lose 55 and still be overweight, she might as well not lose any at all (Whhhaaatttt).