An obese nutritionist: would you be her patient?

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Why are you only addressing part of my quote?

It's the only part that asked me a question. The rest was an irrelevantly digressional strawman that didn't warrant requoting or answering.

Your premise is that someone that is teaching business, cannot be a good business person if they are teaching business and not engaging in it successfully. Now you seem to be trying to deflect your way around from explaining that position
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

It's the only part that asked me a question. The rest was an irrelevantly digressional strawman that didn't warrant requoting or answering.

Your premise is that someone that is teaching business, cannot be a good business person if they are teaching business and not engaging in it successfully.

Again - that has never been my position and I never said anything like that.

Straw-Man_500.gif
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Your premise is that someone that is teaching business, cannot be a good business person if they are teaching business and not engaging in it successfully.

Straw-Man_500.gif

And again, not quantifying your position
    SF1978_1x02_Deflectorshield.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Straw-Man_500.gif

You haven't asked me to. All you've done is make incorrect assertions about my position, and asked me one loaded question.

• JeffseekingV
    Options

Straw-Man_500.gif

You haven't asked me to. All you've done is make incorrect assertions about my position, and asked me one loaded question.

Why are you only addressing part of my quote? Are you agreeing with the rest of it?

Then clarify how someone that teaches business gains credibility in your view. Remember, anyone successful in business most likely is going to be paid a lot more than a teacher or professor.

SF1978_1x02_Deflectorshield.gif
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    In an ideal situation, I'd prefer someone who was formerly overweight. Perhaps even just overweight in their youth and they got into the field because of their own necessity. That way, they could understand their clients struggles but they've gotten past their own hangups and struggles.

My overweight family doctor used to give me ascine and unsolicited advice about nutrition when I've shown up for unrelated things. "Squeeze lemon juice on your salad instead of using dressing" or "If you eat a cookie you have to walk around the block a few times." (His actual words.) Thanks man, can I get that prescription for antibiotics for my bronchitis now?

Since it's been brought up, yeah I am way more comfortable with a female OBGYN. My current doctor was still delivering when she was 7 months pregnant with twins, I feel like she has a pretty good grasp on what her patients are going through.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    A lot, and everything.

But not for free

Trust me. I control several businesses and my husband has his own business so yeah. I too know a bit about what it takes. You're answer tells me you do not.

You're going to need a taller ladder...

Just stating a fact. If you know so much then I'm not sure why you wouldn't spread your knowledge out to others. The one thing entrepreneurs love to talk about is their business and how they failed or succeeded. No fee required.

uh no.... even in my little town, if someone wants to know about my industry and how I've built success, they pay for that time. That policy landed me in Rio back in Feb. ;)

"Entrepreneurs" giving their info out for free don't stay in business long without patronage or already having a big warchest. :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Most sport coaches are overweight and out of shape, but do they know how to coach and win games? Yes, they do.

Many surgeons are overweight and out of shape also, so are many healthcare workers. Does that mean that don't know how to do their jobs? No, it doesn't.

Yeah but professional coaches rely on a team of athletic trainers to get their athletes in gear.

A surgeon has specific skill sets, including scientific training, medical training and a steady hand. That doesn't mean they know anything about weight loss and nutrition. You are paying them for their ability to operate.

A better comparison is, would you go to a mental health professional who has mental health challenges.

well that's not fair- every person I know who works in psychology is effed up- that's one of the reasons they are in that field LOL.

You know, when I read this…I thought the exact same thing. I work in mental health/addictions and I have come to find out that after only 3 years in the field, that you have to be crazy to work in the field. If you go into it healthy…well I now believe you become a product of your environment.

I am working on a completely different career path plan for the near future.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    A lot, and everything.

But not for free

Trust me. I control several businesses and my husband has his own business so yeah. I too know a bit about what it takes. You're answer tells me you do not.

Just stating a fact. If you know so much then I'm not sure why you wouldn't spread your knowledge out to others. The one thing entrepreneurs love to talk about is their business and how they failed or succeeded. No fee required.

uh no.... even in my little town, if someone wants to know about my industry and how I've built success, they pay for that time. That policy landed me in Rio back in Feb. ;)

"Entrepreneurs" giving their info out for free don't stay in business long without patronage or already having a big warchest. :)

Not so - you can give plenty of basic business information and strategy without scuttling yourself and your business. Certainly enough to get someone started. It's not as though there's a requirement to tell all of your secrets, or to deliberately set up a direct competitor.

ETA - plenty of businessmen in my area donate their time and expertise to help those who have fallen on hard times and can't pay for a consult start their own business. Those businessmen don't seem to have a problem remaining in business.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Well, one of my group fitness class instructors is not a slender/fit/ripped girl. But she can move like no one's business, and I cannot keep up with her for the life of me sometimes.

I don't think that someone's outward appearance is a good reflection of their habits. I am smaller than my fitness instructor, but she teaches intensive classes 4-5x a week minimum, and I can't keep up that kind of schedule. Same with a nutritionist. Sometimes things like thyroid problems or PCOS can impact someone's ability to lose weight. Their outward appearance does not negate their credentials, or their knowledge.

If she is knowledgable in her field, and can help me reach my goals, I would absolutely be her patient. People also don't necesarily go to nutritionists to lose weight; my family goes to an on-site one at work, and she helps guide my family on how to eat better, how to read nutritional labels, and teaches them about different food choices and their benefits.
  • 67mirunner
    Options
    "Those who can't do teach."

I'm a physics teacher, and I assure you I can do physics!!

However, I don't think I'd go and see an obese nutritionist....sounds like an oxymoron.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    A lot, and everything.

But not for free

Not so - you can give plenty of basic business information and strategy without scuttling yourself and your business. Certainly enough to get someone started. It's not as though there's a requirement to tell all of your secrets, or to deliberately set up a direct competitor.

ETA - plenty of businessmen in my area donate their time and expertise to help those who have fallen on hard times and can't pay for a consult start their own business. Those businessmen don't seem to have a problem remaining in business.

They're doing it from a position of being an entrenched competitor, and in most industries, there aren't a ton of technical requirements to get started, just capital need. Most folks will never get the capital to be a risk, so strategically it works fine.

If someone is coming to me for generics, they don't respect my time or their own. So, they can pay an hourly fee, so they'll begin to respect the time they are given. I'm in a technical field though, and have hard to come by info, that's expensive knowledge to access. :)
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    A lot, and everything.

But not for free

There is a huge difference between sharing success and losses and tips on how to get there and sharing trade secrets
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    No. I would not use a nutritionist who was obese.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I've always had an issue with that quote because it pretty much sums up the problem in the school system.

A great example is taking business classes and being taught by someone who has never in their life run an actual business.

Well, the alternative is to have a business teacher who did have a business but was so unsuccesful at running it that ended up having to teach the subject. :huh:

I would much rather be taught by someone who did it and knows what they're talking about regardless of whether or not they ran it into the ground. There could be a myriad of reasons why businesses fail and said teacher who had a failed business might be able to let the students know what NOT to do. All business owners I know that have owned a business that may have failed is able to realize their error, pass on wisdom and not do what they did again. That IMO is better than someone who has never tried, never failed and has no clue.

The point is that business owners who fail but understand their errors go back and do it again and then succeed. That's what separates those who are ultimately successful and those who end up teaching. Also, I had business teachers who had failed and those who were strictly academic and even though the ones who were in business that failed could tell you what it was like they couldn't tell you what it took to succeed anymore than those who had never been in business (other than consulting) because they were never successful themselves.

ETA besides, there are a myriad of ways to fail in business and just because you discover one or two of them doesn't mean you understand the ways to succeed but rather just one or two ways out of many that don't work.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I'd let a female train me in the gym even though I could lift more than her. If she knows what she is talking about then it's fine

My first real lifting coach was a woman and she was very good. I would imagine that any woman that coaches in a male dominated sport will be better than average because she has to prove herself more than a man would.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited December 2014
    Options

Your premise is that someone that is teaching business, cannot be a good business person if they are teaching business and not engaging in it successfully. Now you seem to be trying to deflect your way around from explaining that position

Might be a good time for me to clarify my position: I think a person who has failed in business can be a great teacher at it just as someone who has never been in business can also be a great teacher at it. The problem is that business has a lot of variables and I've owned my own (business services) and ran three small businesses (variety store, dairy distribution company, and body shop) on behalf of others. Small business just wasn't for me so I got out of it. Business school doesn't teach you to be a business person so much as to give you a tool set. To be a good entrepreneur you need a certain personality and that isn't something you can't teach. A lot of the best entrepreneurs I've met had little if any business education and probably couldn't teach a course in business if you begged them to.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I know that anyone can have knowledge about anything. I mean, I was even a weight loss coach for a while and look at me now! Life happened and I got fat when I wasn't paying attention. Obviously I still have the knowledge though and am puting it to use to get my body back on point. But I'm under no illusions that a perfect stranger might not trust my infinite weight loss wisdom at my current weight. And I actually wouldn't expect them to trust my word about it at face value. Because I don't LOOK like I know what the heck in talking about.

Saying that even I probably wouldn't go to an obese nutritionist! I KNOW RIGHT!? But I'm very much about showing that you practice what you preach. I don't go to nail techs who have jacked up nails. I don't trust hair stylists who have horrible hair. I don't trust anyone's opinon on clothes who look like they got dressed blindfolded fishing in a dumpster. I don't trust overweight and sloppy personal trainers, etc. Well not "trust" but you know, they sure as heck wouldn't be my first choice and I would scrutinize everything they said extra hard. Why? Because you aren't showing me visual proof of all your knowledge applied to yourself.
    Nail techs usually have messed up nails because it's difficult to do someone's nails with a perfect manicure yourself. Hair dressers don't generally do their own hair. If you live in a town with 2 hairdressers and one has messed up hair and the other has nice hair, I'd say go to the one with messed up hair. My husband is a contractor/carpenter. I keep threatening to hire someone to get stuff done here. But yet his customers are very happy with his work. I'll bet if they came to my house before hiring him, He'd be unemployed.

Actually most of the really great beauty techs I know have presentable "whatever their speciality is". For nail techs I don't mean they have to have a perfect polish it tips. I mean nicely groomed. Buffed, polished and shaped. Not all dull, chapped and jagged. I did nails and kept my nails nice as well. I also used to do extentions for the black university girls as well. I got the work because they saw how nice my own hair always looked and that I did it as well. My man does high end electronic sales and installations, our place is wired for sound. He never lets coulors, sound or anything be off because it drives him NUTS.

*shrug* Just saying, some professionals can be great at what they do and keep them selves on point at the same time.
    Does it take more work? Sure! But that just makes the professional more desirable to me. The fact that they work that much harder.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    No I would not go to an obese nutritionist. I believe they should live what they preach, but then...I would not go to a nutritionist in the first place.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Self-control is not the same thing as having knowledge. I would probably take her advice with a grain of salt, and do my own research on her advice, but that wouldn't dissuade me from visiting her altogether.

This.