Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    srcurran wrote: »
    What I'm doing differently is that I am not eating such that I'm not hungry. I have had to cut my food intake the the point of my being hungry a lot and being ok with it. Being hungry means it's working. If I eat until satisfied...even if it's all "healthy" foods it's too much for me. I'll either stagnate or gain. Can't do it anymore.

Eating healthier has actually helped many people because if you are eating high dietary fiber foods you are sated but with a much lower calorie count for the day. If you are hungry during the day eat a sweet potato, I physically can't eat two sweet potatoes in a day. I would feel like I was going to explode.

I have the world's biggest sweet potatoes at the moment. (Okay, not really, but they are ridiculously huge--I think about 500 grams.) So I definitely could not eat more than one, but they'd have a ton of calories.

That said, I also might not be able to eat anything else all day. ;-)
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    sheepotato wrote: »
    srcurran wrote: »
    What I'm doing differently is that I am not eating such that I'm not hungry. I have had to cut my food intake the the point of my being hungry a lot and being ok with it. Being hungry means it's working. If I eat until satisfied...even if it's all "healthy" foods it's too much for me. I'll either stagnate or gain. Can't do it anymore.

Eating healthier has actually helped many people because if you are eating high dietary fiber foods you are sated but with a much lower calorie count for the day. If you are hungry during the day eat a sweet potato, I physically can't eat two sweet potatoes in a day. I would feel like I was going to explode.

I have the world's biggest sweet potatoes at the moment. (Okay, not really, but they are ridiculously huge--I think about 500 grams.) So I definitely could not eat more than one, but they'd have a ton of calories.

That said, I also might not be able to eat anything else all day. ;-)

Yeah that's sort of what I meant, I when I ate half a butternut squash (40 calories per 100g) first I could never finish the rest of my dinner. It helped me when I had a large calorie deficit. I guess sweet potatoes (86 calories per 100g) were not the best example but I usually only have half of one with a meal because they make me super full.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    A food scale is a necessity for weight loss.

Its a higly valuable tool and especially valuable if theres a stall, but its not a necessity.

I beg to differ. You won't know how many calories you are consuming unless you weigh your food.

You can estimate although thats a less accurate way, it can still be ok for some.
    If you are actually burning more than you consume, then the other sort of scales will tell you or a tape measure will show you where it counts that you are in deficit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in eating healthy, and losing weight, GREAT!
    Ask your questions here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133-clean-eating-group

folks here hate the phrase "clean eating", and will derail most any thread that talks about it.
    The folks in that group can answer your questions in an educational way.
    Tell them you're not losing. They'll suggest many of the same things folks here are: you're eating too many calories etc. But they'll do it while considering your goal to eat healthier foods.
    Best of luck.

Right, because only people who self-identify as "clean eaters" and who think the essence of eating healthy is eliminating whatever it is they think is "unclean" are interested in eating healthy and exchanging support for doing that. So get away from the dirty main forum as fast as possible and don't interact with people around here.

Fabulous!

And some wonder why the clean eating stuff annoys people.

No. Because invariably every "clean eating" thread devolves into trolling nonsense.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well, maybe someday we can talk about healthy eating or nutrition without going on about clean and unclean and then that won't happen (although I suspect you and I disagree about what's "trolling" and what is an effort to make a point or a serious argument, as I always try to do).

This has nothing to do with the OP here, though. I understand how people pick up the term and use it casually. What I don't understand is the desire to brand oneself with the label and to seek discussions only with other self-proclaimed "clean eaters."

• Parkes1993
    Parkes1993 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Do you weigh your solid food?? That's the question of the thread.
    No, I don't have a food scale. I do measure using measuring cups.

This is why you aren't losing weight.

Eating healthy won't magically shed the pounds. Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit. You must be in a deficit to lose weight. If you are not weighing your food with a food scale, you are eating more than you think you are. A food scale is a necessity for weight loss.

That's not true at all ..... I currently eat near 3000 cals and still losing body fat so work that 1 out ..... It's all about a routine and eating the right foods ....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Parkes1993 wrote: »

Eating healthy won't magically shed the pounds. Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit. You must be in a deficit to lose weight. If you are not weighing your food with a food scale, you are eating more than you think you are. A food scale is a necessity for weight loss.

That's not true at all ..... I currently eat near 3000 cals and still losing body fat so work that 1 out ..... It's all about a routine and eating the right foods ....

work it out you say

OK

if you are eating near 3000 calories and losing body fat then your TDEE is higher than 3000 calories

do I get a gold star?
  • ihaveplans
    Options
    Good sleep helps weight loss and general health. You are posting after 1 a.m.! Good luck Sharitapita.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

So what are you age height and weight stats? How much do you work out each week? Are you claiming to eat more than you burn, but still losing weight?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Are you trying to say that if I eat 3000 cals of the right foods I would still lose?

OP if you aren't losing you aren't in a deficit, this can be because of over estimating your burns, under estimating your intake which without a food scale is probably the case. Can't see your diary to see your logging.

But just like you said your friends are still losing no matter what they eat because they are in a deficit. When I first started I lost my first 50 lbs without using a scale, as I lost more I had to become more accurate as the margin of error was decreased. I worked on improving my logging and more accurately measuring my portions.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in eating healthy, and losing weight, GREAT!
    Ask your questions here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133-clean-eating-group

folks here hate the phrase "clean eating", and will derail most any thread that talks about it.
    The folks in that group can answer your questions in an educational way.
    Tell them you're not losing. They'll suggest many of the same things folks here are: you're eating too many calories etc. But they'll do it while considering your goal to eat healthier foods.
    Best of luck.

Right, because only people who self-identify as "clean eaters" and who think the essence of eating healthy is eliminating whatever it is they think is "unclean" are interested in eating healthy and exchanging support for doing that. So get away from the dirty main forum as fast as possible and don't interact with people around here.

Fabulous!

And some wonder why the clean eating stuff annoys people.

No. Because invariably every "clean eating" thread devolves into trolling nonsense.

thats right ..if you don't agree with ole Sabine you are a "troll" ….totally legit...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - your problem has been identified…you are not losing weight because you do not weigh all of your foods which is leading to incorrect calorie estimation . I would suggest getting a food scale and weighing, measuring, logging everything for a month and see what happens…

Eating clean has nothing to do with it. You can eat clean, over eat, and you will continue to gain.