All macros are special

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    My butternut squash didn't stand a chance. Sucka!

Seriously, have you tried going zero carb? Long term?

I do not think one can go zero carb and live. All the protein I know about will drag some carbs along with it. Almonds have carbs as to about every thing.

Alatarie175 why to you think it is carbs that make you poop? Coconut oil makes up about 1200 of my daily calories as my good Fat source.

reddit.com/r/keto/comments/192urc/no_carbs_no_poop/

Lol, wut?

10818062_1537219286517132_920940800_n.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I do not think one can go zero carb and live. All the protein I know about will drag some carbs along with it. Almonds have carbs as to about every thing.

Alatarie175 why to you think it is carbs that make you poop? Coconut oil makes up about 1200 of my daily calories as my good Fat source.

you "know" protein…are they your neighbors…whey and casein johnson????
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Personally for me, no roughage, no poop.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There are no carbs in steak. That's why you need the potato. With butter. And bacon. And sour cream. And cheese. And I gotta go.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    There are no carbs in steak. That's why you need the potato. With butter. And bacon. And sour cream. And cheese. And I gotta go.

Hey you know what 'moves' you so keep doing it so you gotta go. :)

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Seriously? You don't know chicken, beef, pork, lamb or shrimp? You should meet them. They're pretty groovy.

And they contain zero carbs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Attract deer by putting out a salt lick. They love it and need it...in moderation. Salt is hard to come by in the wild.

Of course carbs are wonderful, taste great, and are highly satisfying. We need them. They used to be hard to come by until we discovered farming. Farms are lovely places.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

What a waste of 1200 calories. Eat a steak or something.
  • Mikkimeowza
    Options
    When did we get on keto? I am so sick of the fear mongering, carbs are not the devil.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys the coconut oil was added to the fish oil in my diet for pain management. Going keto was just a by product but I like it and is good to make up 80% of my macro. I could drink gallons of whole milk a day to get fats but using the coconut oil is better because it does not load me up with carbs like drinking that much milk.

I had 2 tablespoons of coconut oil at 4 pm yesterday and did not take any more until 8 am today and my joint and muscle pain was returning. If I get this about 5x over 24 hours life is less of a pain. :)

Coconut oil per some can be antibacterial, antiviral, antiprotozoal and kill the tons of parasites that can be prowling around in the gut causing IBS, etc perhaps.

Just the IBS leaving after fighting with it for 40 years means I will stick with coconut oil for a while longer even if it was not great at managing my joint and muscle pain.
  • octhawk
    octhawk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Fiber is a carb and is digested very slowly.

People rave about fats and protein keeping them full and always forget about our good friend Fiber.

I need to hang out with your friends. All I can find are fiber - happy people and food. (I'm fiber sensitive, so I actually try to limit my fiber and it's more difficult than you'd think! )
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We could talk more about lovely carbs.

"Low-glycemic grains include cooked fettuccine and spaghetti noodles, fresh rice noodles and all bran cereal. Apples, oranges, pears, sweet cherries, dried apricots and unsweetened apple juice are low glycemic fruits and fruit juices."
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/489628-fast-carbohydrates-slow-carbohydrates-diets-that-speed-up-your-metabolism/

Or coconut oil.

"Despite the popularity of coconut oil, this highly saturated oil is 44% lauric acid and 16% myristic acid, which are both hypercholesterolemic.4 "We do know that coconut oil raises LDL cholesterol, but it raises HDL cholesterol even more. Does that make a difference? We don't know," says Dariush Mozaffarian, MD, DrPH, dean of the Friedman School of Nutrition Science & Policy at Tufts University. "There's no strong data or evidence that coconut oil is better or worse for you than any other source of saturated fat," he explains."
    http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/111114p32.shtml

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    octhawk wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Fiber is a carb and is digested very slowly.

People rave about fats and protein keeping them full and always forget about our good friend Fiber.

I need to hang out with your friends. All I can find are fiber - happy people and food. (I'm fiber sensitive, so I actually try to limit my fiber and it's more difficult than you'd think! )

I meant on the boards. We talk a lot about protein and fat keeping us full, but don't mention how long fiber hangs out in the stomach, keeping us full. This is not intended to slam anyone, just something I always like to add. :)

Most people I know don't give a rat's butt about fiber or any other kind of food. One is with me on getting healthy and losing weight. One is pretending to be, lol. One is into all the bodybuilder BS. The rest just eat. :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    jgnatca keep in mind Fats and Protein are required for humans to live but carbs are optional. That does not make them bad but just not required.

Carbs are not "optional." While it's true a human can survive without carbs, you can also survive without arms and legs, so are arms and legs optional?

I'd rather cut off my legs than cut out carbs

Wow really? I like carbs and all, but I like my legs better.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sorry guys the coconut oil was added to the fish oil in my diet for pain management. Going keto was just a by product but I like it and is good to make up 80% of my macro. I could drink gallons of whole milk a day to get fats but using the coconut oil is better because it does not load me up with carbs like drinking that much milk.

I had 2 tablespoons of coconut oil at 4 pm yesterday and did not take any more until 8 am today and my joint and muscle pain was returning. If I get this about 5x over 24 hours life is less of a pain. :)

Coconut oil per some can be antibacterial, antiviral, antiprotozoal and kill the tons of parasites that can be prowling around in the gut causing IBS, etc perhaps.

Just the IBS leaving after fighting with it for 40 years means I will stick with coconut oil for a while longer even if it was not great at managing my joint and muscle pain.

Per some? Who? Got any science to back that up? You need bacteria in your digestive system. It's impossible to target the "bad" bacteria, so if they were killing everything in your intestines it would spell very bad news for your body and the absorption of many vital micronutrients.

You know, you may experience less joint and muscle pain if you increased carbs. The insulin spikes help muscle and joint recovery by signaling the muscle cell to increase exchange across the membrane (sort of like opening a door). This allows allow glucose, amino acids, and creatine to enter the muscles, which improves recovery. Tendons (the part of the joints where most joint pain comes from) need insulin even more since they have less blood flow to them than muscles.
  • bullofheaven
    bullofheaven Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Raw honey and orange juice?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    jgnatca keep in mind Fats and Protein are required for humans to live but carbs are optional. That does not make them bad but just not required.

Carbs are not "optional." While it's true a human can survive without carbs, you can also survive without arms and legs, so are arms and legs optional?

I'd rather cut off my legs than cut out carbs

Wow really? I like carbs and all, but I like my legs better.

I like Donuts and Ice Cream
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Per some? Who? Got any science to back that up? You need bacteria in your digestive system. It's impossible to target the "bad" bacteria, so if they were killing everything in your intestines it would spell very bad news for your body and the absorption of many vital micronutrients.

You know, you may experience less joint and muscle pain if you increased carbs. The insulin spikes help muscle and joint recovery by signaling the muscle cell to increase exchange across the membrane (sort of like opening a door). This allows allow glucose, amino acids, and creatine to enter the muscles, which improves recovery. Tendons (the part of the joints where most joint pain comes from) need insulin even more since they have less blood flow to them than muscles.

Jonathan Bailor