All Calories Are Not Created Equally

Replies

• Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    Article of trash.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Well, it's OK, and not the worst I've read, but she underemphasises the importance of CICO and overstates the impact of sugar.

One bag of skittles isn't going to cause a huge amount of problems for the average person, neither is consuming more than 50g sugars in a day, provided you don't eat them all at once.
    But not bad. A lot of good advice in there.

Why can't you eat them all at once. It doesn't matter when you eat does it?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Ah, the sensitive flagger is in this thread. It would be nice if people would engage in an actual discussion.
    AdieEve wrote: »
    It's fine if people disagree.

That's what's so frustrating. Who is even disagreeing? You, and the author of the article, are intentionally misrepresenting what people mean by "a calorie is a calorie" to create some silly strawman that you can then knock down. Please tell me who here as EVER said that nutrient or the differences between foods don't matter? (It is true that how people react to foods varies somewhat--lots of people claim they feel bad eating ANY added sugar at all, and I know I don't, so rather than say they are wrong I just assume we react differently.)
    It is, however, common sense for sustaining good health and weight loss. Anecdotally, I feel better when I eat well, and am more likely to stick to my weight loss regimen.

This is true. But it's such common sense that I find it somewhat insulting that you feel to think that you must bring this to our attention or pretend that people who say "a calorie is a calorie" are arguing that a pork chop is a piece of cake.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited December 2014
    I would also like to point out that I have not said "a calorie is not a calorie". I said that not all calories are created equally, and this is explained well in the article provided. Nuance is lost on many people, it seems.

That's not "nuance," that's semantics. All calories are created equally because a calorie is a unit of measure.

Will you say all ounces are different because you can have 8 ounces of water or 8 ounces of juice? Of course you wouldn't. The ounce is just a unit of measure. The items being measured are different.

That being said, if this entire article (and apparently your viewpoint) is that "all foods are different," well, if you needed an article to tell you that different foods are different, then maybe you need some serious education.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    The calories you consume will influence your satiety, energy levels (pertaining especially to blood glucose), and long-term health. Will you lose weight eating in a deficit while consuming only junk? Sure. Are you going to feel like crap and possibly suffer health issues in the long-term? Yes. All calories are not created equally.

This is the whole problem though. It's not one or the other - junk or health. How about people (like most) that eat food. You know, healthy and sometimes not as healthy food.

I don't believe that any food is junk. And just because you feel a certain way after eating certain things does not make that true for anyone else.

Just about everyone on here knows that foods meet different nutritional needs, and for *health* you should try to meet those needs. It's kind of a "duh" thing. Weight loss is an entirely different story though.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    image.png
    ...again.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    In.

giphy.gif
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited December 2014
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Well, it's OK, and not the worst I've read, but she underemphasises the importance of CICO and overstates the impact of sugar.

One bag of skittles isn't going to cause a huge amount of problems for the average person, neither is consuming more than 50g sugars in a day, provided you don't eat them all at once.

Sorry, mate. I'm not explaining the concept of moderation to you again.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were talking moderation, I though you were inferring it would not be good for you.

However if it fits your macros why not have them all in one go - you are still practicing moderation for the daily calories.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were talking moderation, I though you were inferring it would not be good for you.

However if it fits your macros why not have them all in one go - you are still practicing moderation for the daily calories.
    Because many people would probably feel sick eating too much sugar in one go. Unless you want my box of halloween lollipops for lunch.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Article of trash.

Not all articles are created equally.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Yanicka1 wrote: »
    An inch does not equal an inch? A calorie is a measure. As far as weight loss, a calorie IS a calorie. If you talk about health, it is a different story

You're right. It is a unit of measure. The confusion comes in when you follow the digestion of the different Macro components. Different Macro components get digested differently. Some use more of the available food calories for the digestion process than others. IMO, that fact gets a bit overblown by some.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    lmnop8r50lul.jpg

This made me laugh and laugh. And laugh.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    All calories are created equal in terms of energy combustion (well, obviously...)

All calories are not the same in terms of the metabolic effect they have on the body or bio-availability.

Everyone is right and everyone is wrong.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Aren't there already three other threads talking about this?
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    lmnop8r50lul.jpg

This made me laugh and laugh. And laugh.

Same here LOL Love it
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    An inch does not equal an inch? A calorie is a measure. As far as weight loss, a calorie IS a calorie. If you talk about health, it is a different story

this.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    An inch does not equal an inch?

Some men seem to think 1 inch = 2 inches when reporting length. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »

Because many people would probably feel sick eating too much sugar in one go. Unless you want my box of halloween lollipops for lunch.

that's on them to figure out- no one here needs to any any point say- you (generic) can't eat 50 grams of sugar in one sitting.

That's just ridiculous.

And for what it's worth- I average about 100 grams of sugar in a day- and yeah- I'd say half of it happens in one sitting- easily.
    #snickers
    #neverhangry
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Okay. She didn't say anything incendiary. I think most people already agree that different foods have different effects on the body.