The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• joshua3179
    joshua3179 Posts: 2,882 Member
    zSandman wrote: »
    joshua3179 wrote: »
    Quit college in 2001, never finished.. Making 130k a year as a tug boat captain and you can't beat the view from my office window! Lol

That's great man. A bachelor's degree barely gets you through the door in many positions these days anyway.
    Did civil survey and drafting for a while.. The office life wasn't for me man.. Love being on the water
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,166 Member
    The problem is those types of jobs are not very common. I finished my graduate degree and now I'm doing what I like and enjoying most everyday at work. More power to anyone that can find a job that they like. If it pays as much as Joshua's job, that's fantastic! I always tell people to do what you love. If that's being a surgeon, great. If it's being a janitor, great. Just do what you love. You will learn to make it on what every you make. My hat is off to you Joshua for doing what you like! :sunglasses:
  • joshua3179
    :) thanks!

This job surely isn't for everyone but the industry as a whole is in need of quality people. Problem is that people now days want to come out here and not pay their dues and not learn what they need to learn in order to be a quality captain and the industry is suffering... Companies paying 10k sign on bonuses and paying day rates of 600-700 a day.. They still can't find people.. The schedule is the killer 20 days on and 10 off or 28 on and 14 off you live on the boat all travel is paid and all food, supplies, even bedding and cell phones lol...
  • hot4fitness2
    hot4fitness2 Posts: 528 Member
    Hello fellow nightshifters. Hope everyone is having a great night so far. Been ok here, just busy work today
  • sufferlandrian
    Yours is not the only industry where people don't want to pay their dues and learn to do things right. I had to let a tech go one time. She was a certified tech but what you learn in school and what you do in the real world don't always match. She didn't want to learn from those non certified techs that have been working for 15 years. She just wanted to be in charge and change things to her way. She didn't last.
  • MelaniLight
    MelaniLight Posts: 738 Member
    Greetings and salutation, fellow night walkers. Is it 07:00 yet?? :\
  • sufferlandrian
    Do you ever have those days when you question your ability to do your job? I know it's not my fault, but my patients have not been doing well tonight.
  • hot4fitness2
    hot4fitness2 Posts: 528 Member
    Yes have those kinds of days
  • sufferlandrian
    Homeward bound. Tomorrow is another day.
  • joshua3179
    No work tonight! Hold down that graveyard shift for me peeps!
  • sufferlandrian
    Heart Failure is so much more cut and dry than in humans. However, when it goes bad, it really goes bad fast. I really feel for the people that just lost their dog. It was pretty unexpected and they have had her for 14 years.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,404 Member
    Yes, Suffer, we had a dog pass from CHF, but we didn't know she was sick. One day, she just couldn't get up and walk, and had trouble breathing. But, there were no tests done, the vet said it was CHF, and it was like 30 years ago. So who knows...
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Rawr .-.
  • sufferlandrian
    OK. Let's try this again and see if we have any more fun today. So far so good. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Caffeine can only carry you so far. Thank goodness for dead spots and really nice comfy office chairs. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    If it was warmer than 15 degrees outside, I would probably hear crickets chirping. This thread is dead the last couple of days. By the way, if you ever have a diabetic cat and it's supposed to get 1 unit of insulin, put on your glasses and read the numbers. 10 is not 1.0.
  • sufferlandrian
    Vomiting kitten. Tinsel anyone?
  • sufferlandrian
    Another night down. See you guys tonight. :smile:
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Been awhile since I've been here....busy at work, at home...it's crazy. Hope all of you are well and hanging in there!