Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    800 lbs? How do you even get someone like that in the door? Why aren't they being treated at the equine clinic. They are set up to handle patients that size.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    You know I was right at 400lbs and had trouble reaching places for hygiene. I do not even want to imagine this. I really feel for you all.
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    We had an 800 pound patient brought in by the fire department once when I was working at a major facility. It took 12 of us to lift, turn and do anything. 4 of us ended up going out for back injuries because the patient refused to help at all. And yes, as far as the hygiene goes, it's a massive problem. And yet, the family continued to bring food in when we pleaded with them not to do it.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Wow , Just went to Scoobys and ran the numbers. BMR for 800lb male 45yrs old is 5617. You would think just being in the hospital he would be losing 5-6lbs a week.
  • LadyRN76
    edited November 2014
    Options
    They do - and the fluid they lose to accompany the fat loss is astronomical...but it doesn't help when their family are complete enablers and refuse to say no to the patient.
  • aprildaguilar
    aprildaguilar Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Yeah PTs only 33 and has gained 150lbs since last year and the Dr. has it on a Regular Freaking Diet WTF??? As far as Hygeine goes *** I Just Threw Up in My Mouth*** We had to insert a Foley ... FAINTED!!! Not to mention all the moisture and Open infected wounds in the skin folds.
    Then ofcourse we have to coordinate 10 people to come help clean the person ... NOT COOL!!! and The PT has the audacity to be particular about they way we move them and worried about privacy ... Ummmm For Serious??? Ja Ja Ja Freakin People.
    We have already had 4 people go out for shoulders and back issues.
  • MelaniLight
    MelaniLight Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    We just had a 325lb-er admitted in the birth center. She didn't even know that she was pregnant.
  • aprildaguilar
    aprildaguilar Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I think the saddest of the bunch was the 200lb 5 year old and the 350lb 15year old that coded at In N Out ... As a Foster Parent I feel that IS Abuse and Neglect, but I dont know that taking away the kid is the right thing, but what do we do???
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    Severely obese children are a huge problem in our society - and until parents and other WAKE THE F*** up, it is only going to get worse. The kids suffer, think it's normal and the cycle never stops.
  • MelaniLight
    MelaniLight Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think the saddest of the bunch was the 200lb 5 year old and the 350lb 15year old that coded at In N Out ... As a Foster Parent I feel that IS Abuse and Neglect, but I dont know that taking away the kid is the right thing, but what do we do???

Heartbreaking.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Sad for the young and the old.
  • hot4fitness2
    hot4fitness2 Posts: 528 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Obesity in general I think is a severe problem. Society now accepts it. It is " ok", In women it is almost glorified as now we use the terms "BBW" and "Curvy". Why change if we have the You are fine the way you are mentality? Just my thoughts. As far as kids go.. It is unfortunate that we as society have become a fast food, junk food nation. Parents allowing them to eat junk all day and play sit down video games. We live in such a hurry up world. What ever happened to healthy home cooked meal and sit down as a family at the table?
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    I agree, D. Wholeheartedly. When I'm home...we eat real meals. My kids get fast food only when absolutely necessary, and then it is still monitored. I can't always control what they have when I am not with them, but you can damn sure bet I do when they are and that they understand healthy food choices.
    My daughter has seen my own struggle with weight loss - and she understands more so than most - which helps, I think.
    Again, it comes down to the parents....and them making the right lifestyle choices.
  • hot4fitness2
    hot4fitness2 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Did you hear about the nurse who entered a contest for the most prominent veins? She didn't win but she came varicose. LOL
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Did you hear about the nurse who entered a contest for the most prominent veins? She didn't win but she came varicose. LOL
    rim-shot.jpg
  • LadyRN76
    Options

oh that was bad...lol...and still funny...lmao

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    ROFL!! :smiley:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Lunch time. Time to see if I can get in a one hour walk.
  • Railr0aderTony
    edited November 2014
    Options
    111214_YHTFE_ADBLCRE_4323_300x250.jpg

Actual add on my page.