The dumbest diet you ever tried?

Options

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The "box of double-stuff e.l.fudge cookies every night" was pretty bad, lol.

Other than that, never really tried any diet...but i know someone who eats 2,000 calories worth of bananas every day along with some romaine lettuce....uhhh. Yeah.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    i did cottage cheese 3x a day and a glass of prune juice before bed once, I was like 20 and I remember I was dumb enough to pay for a copy of the diet for I think 5 dollars!
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Janet4Art wrote: »
    The most insane diet I ever tried was in the 1970s, maybe mid to late '70s. It was one of those diet plans people were selling from home. You couldn't get it in a store. A friend of mine started selling it and came to my home and gave me a little lecture on how to do it. It was insane. It was a fad. It was one of those diet drink diets. And when you did get to eat, it was weird.

ALSO, they said not to drink any water for a few days, just the two or three diet drinks, and no food at first either. I wound up so sick and weak the third day my husband had to miss work for half a day because I couldn't get out of bed to care for the kids. He was bringing me small drinks of water, often, and bites of food. I was finally able to get up and be okay, although weak the rest of that day.

A few weeks later a neighbor died while on that diet. It was so sad. Her little boy came home from kindergarten and found her on the laundry room floor. I felt so bad for that family. And my family was relieved I had gone off that diet. Never again have I been on one that crazy.

Wow. I think you've won your own thread. :smiley:

• CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    i think i've tried them all... and ofcoz gained all back plus interest!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    RC cola diet. I did lose 30 pounds but found them all over the next couple years. :)
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Probably the raw vegan diet and the 'ABC' diet (at a really low calorie allowance. Like the 'big' days were 200 calories.) Needless to say neither worked for very long and just made me miserable.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Let's see:
    The 30 bananas a day diet
    Lemonade cleanse (the salt flushes...... gross!)
    Prescription phentermine(this worked...until I stopped taking it)
    The cabbage soup diet
    Weight watchers
    Alli (the pill that gives you leaky farts)
    Meridia (another prescription) it worked but I never changed my eating habits

Eh, that's all I got.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    low carb
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Low fat, low carb, low calorie (2-300 and you can't tell me starvation mode is a myth because I lived it), cabbage soup, green tea, carb blockers, hydroxycut, master cleanse, lean cuisine, garcinia cambogia, dexatrim
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Keto. Absolutely moronic. I lost 90 lbs, and then gained 140 back just as fast.

Thank goodness someone is calling BS on keto. How on earth does someone expect themselves to be healthy and wrap bacon in everything?

Keto isn't the "wrap bacon in everything" diet. If you think that, some rudimentary education on the basic tenants of the approach would be helpful.

The person who lost 90 and gained back 140 did so because they over consumed beyond their TDEE to the tune 140 pounds. It had nothing to do with being on Keto. Most people who lost weight, and then rebounded, weren't on keto.

If you'd like to know how people function long term, check epileptics. Many of them have to stick to a keto diet because the diet is a damn near miracle for symptoms and seizure relief. Others do maintain long term, and are neither miserable nor do they spend their time wrapping bacon in everything.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    macphile wrote: »
    I've only ever been on one "diet" in my life. In high school, my friend and I just had Diet Cokes for breakfast and lunch and then ate normally in the evening (my mother's cooking, plus a little snack or some ice cream afterwards). It worked, but it wasn't exactly a healthy approach.

I still prefer to leave most of my intake for later, though (I'm a nightowl). I still skip breakfast. C'est la vie.

That's called intermittent fasting. There is nothing inherently unhealthy about this, as it's just a meal timing approach. The healthiness of the approach would be contingent on the nutrition you consumed when you did eat, not that you didn't eat throughout the day. As long as it was doable.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I tried Atkins, the Cabbage soup diet (blah), the grapefruit diet, the eat fruit for 3 days a week diet, the 3 day diet and the starvation diet along with several different types of weight loss pills including a pill that was a form of speed (perscribed by a doctor). But I think the worst one was the Herbal life diet. I used this crap for a month, ate absolutely no food and lost 20 lbs. As soon as I went off the diet I gained it all back plus some, mostly because I was pregnant....lol
    I will never, ever do a fad diet again especially since I realized how much better I feel by just eating healthy food and being active.

Yes - Herbalife was also my downfall - powder in the milk for 2 meals which was way too much protein and this gave me kidney stones...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    TallyToes wrote: »
    Probably the raw vegan diet and the 'ABC' diet (at a really low calorie allowance. Like the 'big' days were 200 calories.) Needless to say neither worked for very long and just made me miserable.

I was really happy eating raw vegan, and to me the food was delicious. I wasn't doing it as a diet so much as to get some relief from a chronic pain condition. It worked wonderfully for that. The problem was that we just couldn't afford for me to continue eating that way. I didn't lose that much weight on it because I was still overeating.

I think my low point was Nutri System. That packaged food was horrible. The Cambridge Diet with the shakes had me hungry all the time, and being on Atkins turned me into a vegetarian.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    TallyToes wrote: »

I was really happy eating raw vegan, and to me the food was delicious. I wasn't doing it as a diet so much as to get some relief from a chronic pain condition. It worked wonderfully for that. The problem was that we just couldn't afford for me to continue eating that way. I didn't lose that much weight on it because I was still overeating.

I think my low point was Nutri System. That packaged food was horrible. The Cambridge Diet with the shakes had me hungry all the time, and being on Atkins turned me into a vegetarian.

Me too. In fact, I still do some raw only days. I think it's easier to transition to raw if you are already a vegan. I wouldn't have attempted to go whole hog ;) while I was still an omni!

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I never tried any diets (other than calorie restriction) but I grew up with all the women in my family constantly on one diet or another. I've seen them try all sorts of insane things and I just smile and nod and don't comment when they stop.

When my (mom) got tired of nutrisystem she sent a bunch of it home with us. There was one thing that smelled really chemically and off when I opened it, and it smelled exactly the same when it erm left me. That's not right! We threw the rest of it out that day.
  • free1220
    free1220 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I tried Hydroxycut....talk about a jittery caffein buzz.ugh
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Atkins for sure, the day I was literally salivating over a bunch of bananas I realized I was bananas and dropped it.
  • niici
    niici Posts: 32
    Options
    oh i dont even know if i shouldnt be ashamed to say it :open_mouth:
    i don't know the name of the diet, probably ORANGE DIET or something. i didn't eat anything for 10 days. The only thing I did was drinking self made squeezed orange juice (about 7 cups a day).
    Of course this was very bad for my body, just getting all these sour stuff for such a long time. Afterwards I had a stomach irritation.
    I don't even know how I got this STUPID idea.... I lost about I guess 4kg's in 10 days, which is huge, but gained back the double PLUS the sickness. Dumb past me U'R SO STUPID
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Solo Slim! Phentermine! Dexatrim! Anorexia!!!!
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Keto. Absolutely moronic. I lost 90 lbs, and then gained 140 back just as fast.

Thank goodness someone is calling BS on keto. How on earth does someone expect themselves to be healthy and wrap bacon in everything?

Keto isn't the "wrap bacon in everything" diet. If you think that, some rudimentary education on the basic tenants of the approach would be helpful.

The person who lost 90 and gained back 140 did so because they over consumed beyond their TDEE to the tune 140 pounds. It had nothing to do with being on Keto. Most people who lost weight, and then rebounded, weren't on keto.

If you'd like to know how people function long term, check epileptics. Many of them have to stick to a keto diet because the diet is a damn near miracle for symptoms and seizure relief. Others do maintain long term, and are neither miserable nor do they spend their time wrapping bacon in everything.

it works for them because it inhibits brain activity. clue #1 that it is not right for the general public. the human brain does not like ketones very much, it'll use them if glucose is unavailable and you can survive but it is NOT a good long term diet for the general population.

i have epilepsy and i tried keto for a few days.. my cognitive function went way the heck down, i couldn't think my way out of a wet paper bags. my brain likes carbohydrates and anticonvulsants!