carbs are my enemy

Options

Replies

• toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Carbs to me are a gateway food...When I stay away from them, the rest of my days food choices are better...Of course I am diabetic so...They behave differently in my body. If most of my calories come from carbs I feel like *kitten*. If most come from protien, I feel like superman...I like superman.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    White pasta is absolutely my enemy. I have it and I want more of it. All day long.

It's not an issue of, "Oh, it's so yummy that I must eat more!" There are many things I find much more tasty that white pasta that I have no trouble having a little and letting it go. It's a craving. Actually eating more doesn't help much, either. No matter how much I have, I want more. Bugs me,

Potatos, though - not an issue. It's not All White Carbs. Just pasta (and bread, to a lesser extent.)

So, I cut it out. Whole grain pasta took it's place. I can have a little bowl of that and be good to go. :)

Everyone is different and you have to do what works for you.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Not a coincidence.
    Eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein.
    Those percentages are (respectively) at the lowest, lowest, and highest ends of the healthy ranges.

Here's a table which explains the healthy ranges.
    page 1, carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    page 2, fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    page 4, protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

Also, carbs in the body hold water, which increases weight (temporarily and harmlessly).
    Try to decrease the refined carbs (chips, white rice, extra sugar) and increase the whole grains (quinoa, brown rice, etc.).

51637601.png

Eating higher protein and lower fat leads to more weight loss as well, as it's the higher protein that's the key. When protein intakes are matched, low carb doesn't lose any more weight than any other method.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    thanks but im not eating to maintain i wouldnt say 1200 calories with a TDEE of 1745 and a deficit of 550 sometimes more depending on exercise is a maintenance kinda number?

i am always within calorie limit sometimes exercise cals are eaten back sometimes not depends how full i feel in the day.
    when i eat the carbs i feel tired bloated and for the past 3-4 weeks have not shifted any weight. i initially lost a stone and then mistakenly thought i could introduce more carbs. big mistake as its now had an effect. for me personally the more refined carbs in my diet the worse it is for fluid retention and metabolism. i have suspected insulin resistance which is gradually getting better with weight loss.

thanks for everyones input but i know where i need to go from here. high protein meals with plenty of vegetables and a small amount of starchy carbs to fuel exercise.

Insulin resistance? Then, yes, carbs can be your enemy.

Don't forget to eat your fats. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    thanks but im not eating to maintain i wouldnt say 1200 calories with a TDEE of 1745 and a deficit of 550 sometimes more depending on exercise is a maintenance kinda number?

i am always within calorie limit sometimes exercise cals are eaten back sometimes not depends how full i feel in the day.
    when i eat the carbs i feel tired bloated and for the past 3-4 weeks have not shifted any weight. i initially lost a stone and then mistakenly thought i could introduce more carbs. big mistake as its now had an effect. for me personally the more refined carbs in my diet the worse it is for fluid retention and metabolism. i have suspected insulin resistance which is gradually getting better with weight loss.

thanks for everyones input but i know where i need to go from here. high protein meals with plenty of vegetables and a small amount of starchy carbs to fuel exercise.

Can you open your food diary? Do you use a food scale? Like others suggested, it's very easy to over eat on palatable foods and if you aren't careful/meticulous with your logging, you could be eating at maintenance.

Honestly, if you find it a struggle to stick within your goal while eating stuff like pizza, then cut it out or only eat it once in awhile.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    i think i found the problem to my weight loss stalls, carbs... slowly been creeping in again even though i am keeping the calories down i seem to have a problem with crisps, potatoes,pizza,chips, pasta rice etc when i cut it out the weight comes off. surely this cant be a coincidence?

It's merely coincidence.
    By cutting them out you put yourself into a deficit

crisps, pizza, chips, pasta while all delicious and carbs, they can pack a hefty calorie total.

make room for them, don't eat them all on the same day.

Weight loss = Caloric Deficit
    Weight gain = Caloric Surplus

+1 to this , but keep on telling yourself that OP if it works for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Can you open your food diary? Do you use a food scale? Like others suggested, it's very easy to over eat on palatable foods and if you aren't careful/meticulous with your logging, you could be eating at maintenance.

Honestly, if you find it a struggle to stick within your goal while eating stuff like pizza, then cut it out or only eat it once in awhile.

+1 for this.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    thanks, i am wanting to avoid as much carbs as possible. i weigh everything that goes into my mouth unless its pre weighed portions. personally alcohol is an issue and carbs. i did some research on low calorie 0 carb alcoholic beverages and have found vodka and bourbon to be the ones to go for if i did have a drink.
    tonight my tea will be chicken salad with boiled egg. i need to lower my sugar intake in foods also due to it being high carb.. i think i now have a way forward so thanks for all the input. to the older gentleman being 27 surely does not mean i can get away with eating anything as i have never done this. i could quite happily sit and eat a whole pizza from the takeaway but never have done, i would say i have always eaten in moderation but clearly the wrong kind of foods.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    thanks, i am wanting to avoid as much carbs as possible. i weigh everything that goes into my mouth unless its pre weighed portions. personally alcohol is an issue and carbs. i did some research on low calorie 0 carb alcoholic beverages and have found vodka and bourbon to be the ones to go for if i did have a drink.
    tonight my tea will be chicken salad with boiled egg. i need to lower my sugar intake in foods also due to it being high carb.. i think i now have a way forward so thanks for all the input. to the older gentleman being 27 surely does not mean i can get away with eating anything as i have never done this. i could quite happily sit and eat a whole pizza from the takeaway but never have done, i would say i have always eaten in moderation but clearly the wrong kind of foods.

I have to avoid carbs, as well. I eat about 18g a day and about 3-15g of sugar. My diary is open if you want some low carb ideas.

It's beneficial to weigh even pre-weighed portions as they aren't always accurate.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    yup they my enemy too. When I cut to strictly <15g of net carbs I was barely hungry. Now over the past month or so I have let carb creep come back in and am now eating at around 25-30g and I am definitely more hungry just from that extra 15g (although I also started exercising at the same time, so that is more likely the reason). But I don't care because it allows me a much greater variety of foods. Food was getting boring at <15g
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    how many carbs would you recommend for someone who is 5ft1 and 160lbs?
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    how many carbs would you recommend for someone who is 5ft1 and 160lbs?
    A common figure is to start <20 NET carbs (total carbs - fibre) a day. Then adjust to your personal preference.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    unless you have some kind of medical condition then it is not carbs that is hampering your weight loss, it is over eating.

Do you own a food scale?
    do you weigh/log/measure everything?

You can eat carbs, be in a deficit, and lose weight; consequently, you can not eat carbs, eat in a surplus, and gain weight.....
  • ndj1979
    Options

if you know where you need to go, why are you even posting asking for advice????
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    unless you have some kind of medical condition then it is not carbs that is hampering your weight loss, it is over eating.

Do you own a food scale?
    do you weigh/log/measure everything?

You can eat carbs, be in a deficit, and lose weight; consequently, you can not eat carbs, eat in a surplus, and gain weight.....

This.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    In some cases, it's the number of carbs in the diet that puts people into a calorie surplus. So indirectly, carbs are the culprit.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: as you consider carbs, PLEASE don't give up vegetables (which are generally classified as carbs). Eat your vegetables. They are nutrient dense (and low in calories). Just keep an eye on the heavily refined, heavily processed, hyper-palatable carbs (the ones you mentioned: the crisps etc.).
    Find what works for you. For me, I eat all the vegetables I want. I eat *some* 100%whole grains (bread, pasta), and I limit my added sugars (candy, pastries, cookies). I have no idea what percentage of my day is carbs, but last time I looked it tended to hover around 30%.
    You can do this. If it makes you feel ravenous when you eat it, maybe don't keep it around.

Best of luck!
  • AsiasMommy
    AsiasMommy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    you're stalling because you're at maintenance calories, not because of carbs or any other single macronutrient, if you're in a deficit you'll still lose weight regardless of how many carbs you're eating

so true
  • ndj1979
    Options
    In some cases, it's the number of carbs in the diet that puts people into a calorie surplus. So indirectly, carbs are the culprit.

OK, but if you over eat protein, then protein is the culprit ....any one food group or macronutrient is not "bad' or a "culprit" etc...

so I stand by my original assertion that it is overeating, not carbs...
This discussion has been closed.