Where have all the healthy eaters gone?

Options
I've only been back a couple of weeks. When I used to read the forums during my weight loss journey (in maintenance now), there seemed to be many posters discussing healthy eating and exercise, i.e., living a healthy lifestyle. Now it seems that most only care about calorie deficits and think captain crunch and soda is healthy. What happened?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Clean eating has become a bullseye for people to make fun of. If you promote not eating processed foods you are viewed as a heretic. Its become a rather sad state.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What exactly is "healthy" eating? I can guarantee you I eat more veggies now that ever, but I also enjoy chocolate or a treat. Does this make it unhealthy??
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I've only been back a couple of weeks. When I used to read the forums during my weight loss journey (in maintenance now), there seemed to be many posters discussing healthy eating and exercise, i.e., living a healthy lifestyle. Now it seems that most only care about calorie deficits and think captain crunch and soda is healthy. What happened?

Within the context of a diet, captain crunch and soda can fit within a healthy diet. Generally it's the ignorant people who do not factor in both context and dosage when determining these sorts of things.

And lol at not eating processed foods, look at the diarys of people promoting thay style of eating, chock full of processed foods. Cognitive dissonance at its finest
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Captain Crunch and soda can very well be part of a healthy diet. One can't look at a single food to determine a healthy diet. It's the overall picture. Seems most people can't wrap their minds around that.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    there are a few people on here who have a melt down because they enjoyed some pizza. in my opinion the good food bad food topic is not helpful to some. I think moderation is the key.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What exactly is "healthy" eating? I can guarantee you I eat more veggies now that ever, but I also enjoy chocolate or a treat. Does this make it unhealthy??

Totes unhealthy.

:p

But yeah, all those fruits and veggies and lean meats and exercise I do must be cancelled out by that Taco Bell I had the other day.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    BALANCE. 80-20 is my goal.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    80-90 / 10-20 for me. I actually enjoy whole foods more to be honest. Could be just a mental thingy...
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Clean eating has become a bullseye for people to make fun of. If you promote not eating processed foods you are viewed as a heretic. Its become a rather sad state.

Because so often people mistake healthy eating as eating a certain limited range of food without any thought as to how much of that they're eating because they mistakenly believe they can achieve their goals if they only eat certain food. Also the air of superiority they promote is cringe worthy. The people who argue against these 'clean eaters' more often than not eat perfectly well whilst enjoying a moderate amount of food items that would send so called clean/healthy eaters into a spasm. But do so within their calorie allowance because they know exactly how much they are eating. The take home message here is eating the macro-nutrients you need is the most important thing towards achieving a goal. If you only want those macro-nutrients to come from a limited range of food, then fine - but it's not necessary and insisting it is is BS.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

prestigio wrote: »
    80-90 / 10-20 for me. I actually enjoy whole foods more to be honest. Could be just a mental thingy...

Are you directly related to Yogi Berra?

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It's about moderation. Personally I prefer to have a treat day when I'll have some chocolate or cake and then eat really healthily the rest of the week, but some people prefer to have say a small chocolate bar every day.

I agree that anything can be part of a healthy diet, but if the majority of your food is coming from junk every day then that's not healthy.

I also found the cereal argument funny. I think we can agree branflakes are healthier with more nutritional value than the other cereal, which I've never seen here in England. I don't eat cereal anyway as I think most cereals have too much sugar in them. However, if you've had a healthy day then I don't see the harm in a small bowl of cereal.

I find there are some people on the forums who seem to like showing off that they eat pizza, sweets, McDonald's, ice-cream etc. Personally if I eat like that too often I feel horrible, but that's me. We're all different....which is another concept some people on MFP can't grasp.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Because the forums are toxic & judgmental. There are preconceptions people have about certain attitudes (eg: "clean eating" is restrictive or unusual macro balances are "wrong")

The only possible way to lose weight as we all agree & know very well is a calorie deficit, but if you talk about the way you want to, or are interested in achieving that deficit; ways to make the 'struggle' easier on yourself or talk about other aspects of health, then you become a target for what I can only describe as bullying.

Not that everyone on the forums is reactionary, or with malicious intent - this forum is one of the healthiest & positive I've ever seen, but I mostly lurk for the above reasons. Even if there's a post with 10+ pages positive comments it'll only take one or two judgemental a-holes to put someone on the defensive & then it all goes downhill from there.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Healthy lifestyle, understanding that 1 food item isn't good or bad, but you must look at the overall diet to determine that.

If I want to have a soda, I have it... if I want cereal be it Captain crunch or whatever else it can all be part of a healthy diet.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Captain Crunch and a soda actually sounds pretty healthy compared so some of the things people on here talk about eating. When you look at processed foods, the primary thing that makes them unhealthy is the salt content. If people are exercising, the additional salt isn't as big of a concern. There are some healthy aspects to my diet, but I see no reason to join the Church of Healthy Eating.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There are still people who eat very healthy. There are even people who struggle to eat better. By and large. They're content to eat what they want and let others do as they please. They're also better behaved.

Better behaved???
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There are still people who eat very healthy. There are even people who struggle to eat better. By and large. They're content to eat what they want and let others do as they please. They're also better behaved.

Better behaved???

I believe they are referring to their point of "content with what they eat and let others do as they please" - that certainly would be better behaved than 'attacking' people for what they eat in particular, which I see happen here often. If that isn't it & what's actually being suggested is that 'people who eat very healthy are better behaved' well, they can stick that.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Within the context of a diet, captain crunch and soda can fit within a healthy diet. Generally it's the ignorant people who do not factor in both context and dosage when determining these sorts of things.

And lol at not eating processed foods, look at the diarys of people promoting thay style of eating, chock full of processed foods. Cognitive dissonance at its finest

^ Yeppers! I love reading comments from people up on their high horse.. bragging about eating "Clean" being all natural, vegan and anti-junk while trying to tell you your lifestyles bad.. then you go to their diary and find a world of hurt in the muesli bars they eat etc.

If you want to eat "Healthy" or what ever you consider "healthy" then go for it. I however will continue to eat my bacon, drink my tequila and top it off with a chocolate sundae even though I'm lactose intolerant and I will still stay with in my goals.

There are "Clean eating" groups on here if you'd like to find people that have similar likes, goals and believes as you. I tend to find joining groups helps with keeping me motivated.

All the best with your journey!

Now I want to try Captain Crunch...

Go with crunch berries its better and bring me some bacon & tequila thanks
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    It's mostly about balance for those of us who aren't adherents to the "clean eating" mantra. My diet would be considered far healthier than the SAD but that's because I make informed decisions and eat plenty of furits, vegitbles, whole grains, and lean meats -- we can always debate the value of them ad infinitum but those are what I see as healthy. I will still eat what many call junk food but I also have 3000 calories a day to maintain my current weight so once I have eaten all the foods that meet my daily requirements then I can spend some of the extra calories on a bacon cheese burger or similar food. It doesn't mean I eat junk food or fast food daily, but I also don't worry about eating it when I do and I'm betting I'm far healthier than many who only eat "clean".
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »

Better behaved???

I believe they are referring to their point of "content with what they eat and let others do as they please" - that certainly would be better behaved than 'attacking' people for what they eat in particular, which I see happen here often. If that isn't it & what's actually being suggested is that 'people who eat very healthy are better behaved' well, they can stick that.

Typically people are not being attacked for how they choose to eat, what is discussed is attacked is the thought that you have to "eat clean" or whatever nonsense to lose weight. It's also not the person that is attacked it is the idea that is questioned.

Either way they can stick the better behaved comment as this is not kindergarten
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    eating so called Clean is super boring for me :p *
This discussion has been closed.