Where have all the healthy eaters gone?

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    bw_conway wrote: »
    <---- healthy eater. I just grew weary of arguing with broscientoligists so I don't bother with the message boards a lot of the time.

so anyone who disagrees with your clean eating mantra is a "broscientoligist"? sounds legit...

No, it's always the same script, same questions, same responses, same underlying hostility, it is just boring and tedious at some point. No offense, but it is almost always guys that have a shirtless, flexing profile pic. I can see it coming from a mile away.

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    <---- healthy eater. I just grew weary of arguing with broscientoligists so I don't bother with the message boards a lot of the time.

What does that even mean!?

Why can't I post Gifs from my phone anymore?! :'(

You bought the wrong sort of phone???

I was able to a couple days ago. Yesterday the option was gone. I miss it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    Captain Crunch and soda can very well be part of a healthy diet. One can't look at a single food to determine a healthy diet. It's the overall picture. Seems most people can't wrap their minds around that.

+1

+1,000

The problem with identifying people as healthy eaters (or not) is that 1) healthy eating is in the context of a whole diet and 2) unless you are looking at everyone's diary, you really don't have any justification for declaring someone a "healthy eater" and its presumptuous to try.

It's also kind of crappy to say healthy eaters are better behaved - what does that even mean? If you are talking about better behaved in terms of life choices, well, I just have to laugh at that. But, I realize that's not what you were referring to...

In the last week, I've been told to shut up. I've had reasonable questions deflected. I've been snarked at and laughed at....all by your "healthy eating posse." I don't care about such things, because this is an internet forum. But, I also don't tolerate hypocrites.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    The healthy eaters are still here, and most still eat healthy, it's just that the focus has shifted from discussing nutrient-rich foods to discussing the ability to eat some of the less nutrient-rich ones in moderation.

If you take a look at the diaries of some of the people who speak captain crunch and soda, you will see some captain crunch and soda + a variety of meats, vegetables, fruits and nuts.

Well, yeah. Most people are probably doing exactly the same thing in reality but the focus of the discussion has shifted over time.

The people on the extremes still remain in the minority from what I can gather.

Finally, I want to know who would win in a fight: Capn Crunch or the Honey Monster.

So Capn Crunch is a short, older man but well he's got a battleship I assume and he's human so hence is capable of killing for no valid reason

and the Honey Monster is a monster but seems to be obsessed with talking to mummies

I reckon the Capn

He's not really a captain.

WHAT? but his title....His hat.....

He only has three stripes on his jacket. He's. A. Commander. Commander crunch.

I don't know why the extra period.s.

Guess I will have to repost. A ship's Captain can be sny rank or even no rank because it's just a title. In the Royal Canadian Navy the frigate captains are Commanders in rank. Now back to your regularly scheduled food fight. :)

Thank you
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

What does that even mean!?

Why can't I post Gifs from my phone anymore?! :'(

You bought the wrong sort of phone???

I was able to a couple days ago. Yesterday the option was gone. I miss it.

Maybe it's the gif's you were posting. They've got to be really funny or really cute or they won't get past the gif QC team!

Why do you think the administrators are letting off track threads run on so long?.......that's right gif patrol!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Captain Crunch and soda can very well be part of a healthy diet. One can't look at a single food to determine a healthy diet. It's the overall picture. Seems most people can't wrap their minds around that.

+1
    If something can be bad when consumed to excess, then an all out ban and a crucifix is the only course of action........it's just the way people think and every single episode where something has been deemed bad, sans the trans fat, comes back into favor only to replaced with the next bad food. It's like peoples brains fall out when it comes to critical thinking about nutrition. I guess the learning curve for the learning curve will never be in harmony.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so anyone who disagrees with your clean eating mantra is a "broscientoligist"? sounds legit...

No, it's always the same script, same questions, same responses, same underlying hostility, it is just boring and tedious at some point. No offense, but it is almost always guys that have a shirtless, flexing profile pic. I can see it coming from a mile away.

ahh so you are just going to do a drive by and clarify nothing and make underhanded attempts at insulting people?

If you can't formulate your position with examples, and have to result to insulting people then that is the sign of a small mind...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Lot's of bitter people here. Understandable if you think about it. You struggle to lose weight. Or you are frustrated because of your new diet.

Not everyone is here to lose weight...or on a new diet.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Healthy eaters are still here - some of them will also be eating breakfast cereals and drinking carbonated drinks.

^^^This...

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I believe in balance and looking at the whole picture. If you check out my diary, you will see that most of it consists of nutrient dense food to help me achieve my goals, but in order to fill my caloric requirements at the end of the day I usually finish off with a delicious bowl of ice cream or cereal I enjoy. Some days I eat fried calamari, fast food, lots of wine. Does this make me "unhealthy" ?
    Does that mean people can't achieve their goals without burgers and ice cream, of course, but it is important to know that that you don't have to give up the foods you love to reach those goals and stick with them for the rest of your life.

^^^This...

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't do it in every thread. Not even most threads. I'd also be delighted to be proved wrong. I will happily announce that there is no bullying going on. I'll be all, "I am the wrongest of wrong people. Nobody is bullying anyone."

I'll start a thread just so everyone can say, "You are the wrongest of wrong people. An entire week, no bullying to be found."

so wait- now you're the anti-bullying police?? where does one get this title.
    so people who have achieved a goal and are proud of it and have visible results to back up their claims are the ones who shouldn't be believed?

I'm so confused.

Oh that reminds me- i need to update my avi with a shirtless flexing profile picture so I can join in the crowd of cool kids.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    I'm so in on this.
    Nothing related to the thread but I think this is the first time I've seen what you look like. :)
    heh... someone needed a pre-workout make up N pig tail selfie- so I obliged. I took before and afters- at some point I'll throw them up somewhere in the ethernet.

back in for the discussion...- for those saying the people advocating more "unhealthy" foods- have a larger calorie intake to accommodate it. I aim to be eating 16-1700 roughly... still rocking the sweet treats and what chocolate milk. It's not perfect- no- but it gets the job done.

There are ways to make it work... the problem isn't a matter of health- it's a matter of context within the diet- AND maximizing your bang for your buck calorie wise.

That's what I hit when I do incorporate some foods that I eat just for the taste. But that's my maintenance, and on days where I am unable to be active, that's over my maintenance. I know I'm not the average person, but there are a lot of people who really do have lower intakes for different reasons. To me, it's not worth the macro gymnastics to fit in fun foods daily and still be satiated. To someone else with my intake, it might be worth it. If I want yums, I have a maintenance day. If I had a higher TDEE, I'd have no reason not to more frequently include the yums. People work hard for their TDEE's and fitness, it's not a slam. But I do think we tend to think of our diets when we give advice for others, so I think that's where some of the disparity comes in.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Please state all of your credentials that you don't have, I'll wait.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There are still people who eat very healthy. There are even people who struggle to eat better. By and large. They're content to eat what they want and let others do as they please. They're also better behaved.

Better behaved???
    Better behaved.

That would consist of not asking seemingly-innocent questions in order to get a response so that they can start with the mocking, name-calling, insulting and "I'm so much better and smarter than you are" bull.

Not bullying.

get over yourself …

you come into every thread and white knight it about bullying and people not
    "behaving" just because you have some impression that you are being "bullied"…when the majority of the time you are being called out for an inaccurate statement and then you perceive that as "bullying" ..

*eye roll*
    Its not about me. It's done all the time, to many people.

So many people leave here - or won't even post - because of it.

When people stop with the insults, mocking, name-calling and public announcements of they're all laughing at someone, I will cease to say they are bullying others.

I feel like it's only done (for the most part) to people who, when given sound information about how what they're spouting is ill-informed, react in a defensive manner and completely disregard the advice given.
    It shouldn't be done at all. People can disagree. People can refuse bad advice. People can even be dead wrong. That's all okay.

If that group went one week without mocking or personally attacking anyone, I'd be delighted to say, "I'm wrong. There isn't a group of Internet bullies on the forums." Delighted!

I personally know a number of people who have greatly restricted -- or stopped completely -- their posting on the main forums, myself included. It's even known in one of the groups I'm in as "the litter box," because the mocking has gotten so bad whenever someone even mentions one of the "target words". And it doesn't even have to be threads that are deliberate flame-baiting or any amount of "X is better than Y." I've even seen threads that started with "hey, my doctor told me to eat gluten free, can anyone else who eats this way befriend me and share tips?" be met with three pages of "unless you've been diagnosed with Celiac or a wheat allergy, gluten is fine" and "gluten is not evil!" and even pictures of cakes, bread, and other baked goods, and other such responses that is essentially tilting at the "holier than thou" windmills they claim to be combatting, so even though those people will say that "unless a doctor told you..." not even saying that a doctor told them to do it is "safe" from it.

I've also seen people say that it's a defense against the "holier than thou" alternate diet people and whatnot, but I've seen a lot more attacks from the "eat all the things" group than I have from any of the groups that restrict their intake of any food. It's at the point where it seems more like a "boogeyman" story people tell to justify attacking anyone that so much as mentions doing anything other than just counting calories.

There's at least one poster on here, in particular, who I've seen brag in threads started by older, sedentary women that he can eat 5000 calories of sugar and still have a 6-pack (he's also an 18 year old male who evidently spends more time in a gym than he does anywhere else). And yes, his diary at the time was open, and he literally lived off low-nutrient sugar cereal and other such foods; and not interspersed with veggies and good meats, either. It worked out to something like a box-worth, maybe even two, of cereal and half a gallon of milk per day, for the cereal alone. That kind of response is not productive, nor is it respectful of the OP, who has a very different set of needs.

At this point, the worst of it seems to come from about half a dozen people, but they set a hostile tone for pretty much any newcomer that wants to do something other than just count calories. The problem is, though, is that most of the worst offenders have gotten good at flying under the moderation radar. Their posts, when taken in isolation, seem rather innocuous, but when looked at as a whole, there are patterns that go as far as starting to border on harassment and even cyber-stalking in some cases.

Since the new forum system was put in place, it also seems that a lot people have taken to what amounts to a "flagging war," and flag a large number of posts as "abuse" that actually aren't (this is on both sides).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

ahh so you are just going to do a drive by and clarify nothing and make underhanded attempts at insulting people?

If you can't formulate your position with examples, and have to result to insulting people then that is the sign of a small mind...

See, you are already (claiming to be) insulted by the fact that I don't like to argue about healthy eating, and I haven't even stated a position yet - then you goad me by insulting my intelligence. You are following the script, perhaps you don't even realize it. ("Dude doesn't think like me, dude doesn't want to engage in a senseless argument trading a hundred posts that lead to nowhere, he must be dumb"). I'm sure you've reviewed my academic credentials and can intelligently assess my mental aptitude based upon a few lines posted on a message board. Okay, I'll let myself get sucked into this yet again...

My definition of "clean/healthy" entails having high food quality standards in choosing food that has an absence of artificial food additives that exist primarily to drastically prolong the shelf life of the food and/or make it taste/smell/feel/appear more like food "should be" (as determined by corporate marketing executives).
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    cwlsr wrote: »
    I can't keep it short! From my book the "Wisdom Scrolls": On the very day that the Wise Old Sage received a message from the King ordering him to come to the capital; a young man and women approached him and asked the question “What is success?”

The wise old sage answered: My son and daughter success is the same as Truth and Beauty! It is in the eyes of the beholder.” What one person sees as beauty may not be to another, what one person perceives to be the truth may not be to someone else. Success to one person may seem as a failure to another; but in the end it is up to you and you along to decide what is beautiful, what is true and finally if you feel you have achieved success.

My son and daughter your most precious gift in life is the freedom of choice so let "No One" take this gift from you.

The young man and women thanked the wise old sage and left pondering the thought, “that if it is to be then it is me alone who should decide my fate.”

Clean or Unclean that is the question?

Of course you could have kept it short. I'm no sage nor am I old, wise is questionable.
    "Clean is like beauty, in the eye of the beholder."

Would that work in a place where people don't feel like/aren't capable of reading more than a couple of sentences before their eyes glaze over?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    I'm so in on this.
    Nothing related to the thread but I think this is the first time I've seen what you look like. :)
    heh... someone needed a pre-workout make up N pig tail selfie- so I obliged. I took before and afters- at some point I'll throw them up somewhere in the ethernet.

back in for the discussion...- for those saying the people advocating more "unhealthy" foods- have a larger calorie intake to accommodate it. I aim to be eating 16-1700 roughly... still rocking the sweet treats and what chocolate milk. It's not perfect- no- but it gets the job done.

There are ways to make it work... the problem isn't a matter of health- it's a matter of context within the diet- AND maximizing your bang for your buck calorie wise.

That's what I hit when I do incorporate some foods that I eat just for the taste. But that's my maintenance, and on days where I am unable to be active, that's over my maintenance. I know I'm not the average person, but there are a lot of people who really do have lower intakes for different reasons. To me, it's not worth the macro gymnastics to fit in fun foods daily and still be satiated. To someone else with my intake, it might be worth it. If I want yums, I have a maintenance day. If I had a higher TDEE, I'd have no reason not to more frequently include the yums. People work hard for their TDEE's and fitness, it's not a slam. But I do think we tend to think of our diets when we give advice for others, so I think that's where some of the disparity comes in.

indeed- for some people it's worth it- for others not.

but- there is not a single label or preconceived notion in what you or I have said.

It's simple a function of the context of what we are doing.

I freely admit on days when I'm running out of food- I've had BAGS of steamables- not one- not two- but like THREE... because I'm REALLY hungry- but I have nothing left to squeeze in there... so function is- eat something uber low calorie- but highly filling- and satiating- 3 bags of veggies is dayum filling- so I have at it... but it's not "healthy or not" it's just a function of what happened that day.
  • WrkinProg55
    WrkinProg55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me seems like another unrealistic fad that you can only live by for a few weeks. But that is me. Everyone knows that eating healthy and " clean" is better then eating pizza and coke. But if that is all you tell yourself you can eat chances of binge eating are probable. If someone really loves eating clean and never wants anything else, then that is great for them. But a lot of people who were gaining results from still eating things that they enjoy like pizza may feel like clean eaters are shaming them for not losing weight the way THEY think they should be losing. Its hard enough to get started on a better diet without people pointing out every thing you are doing wrong.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Please state all of your credentials that you don't have, I'll wait.
    I'll wait with you.
    w5p6r9ylrl19.gif

This discussion has been closed.