How bad is it to do weight machines 2 days in a row?

Options
I know you need to do a day off between resistance training sessions because muscle builds during rest.

But right now I'm doing a total body workout 3x/week on weight machines. I'm using moderate weight/high reps for toning rather than body building as I'm dropping weight.

It is so much easier for me to get lifts in on Saturday/Sunday rather than Saturday/weekday.

Can I get away with doing light, total body workouts on machines two days in a row?

PS I'll accept "no" LOL. I'm looking for advice not just wanting to hear what I want to hear.

Thanks

Replies

• IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row, doesn't matter what machine you are using. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    if you're worried about recovery time, just do upper/lower instead of total body.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree--you're better off doing a split routine if you have to go two days in a row. Otherwise, at least do some kind of variations on the exercise and/or weight and/or intensity.
  • matthewmwhite
    matthewmwhite Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless you're absolutely obliterating the muscle group, the danger isn't that you'll hurt yourself, you're just not going to get as much benefit as if you alternate groups.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    IndianCat3 wrote: »
    you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row, doesn't matter what machine you are using. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row.

There are many athletes out there that would disagree with that statement.
  • IndianCat3
    Options

and they can disagree...whats your point?
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    My opinion is it's ok if the goal is burning calories - if you keep the weight really light, it's not that different from running or doing the same cardio machine or calisthenics daily. Not as good as separating your days, but better than not going at all.

But if you must do Sat/Sun, then a split program (or strength training one day, cardio one day) would be better because you can lift heavier, get more benefits, and still have less chance of injury.
  • IndianCat3
    Options
    and if you are any kind of an athlete, you should know not to work the same muscle group back to back.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

His point is that you are wrong.

eta: Athletes practice nearly every day. They use the same muscles day after day.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    and if you are any kind of an athlete, you should know not to work the same muscle group back to back.

Tell that to Olympic Lifters, Norwegian powerlifters, Chinese Weightlifters, and various other athletes.

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

bro, dyel?
  • LolBroScience
    edited December 2014
    Options

My point is gold medals speak more highly than you do. They train intensely at a high frequency, and you think someone training at a lower level wouldn't be able to achieve this?

There are non-competitive lifters who train at high frequency too, just fyi.
  • IndianCat3
    Options
    he did say that he was not tryin to body build...
  • LolBroScience
    edited December 2014
    Options

Not the point. There are also lurkers who will read this thread and take your generalized advice unless people point out context and misinformation.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

There are benefits to training the same muscle group two days in a row. There are many programs out there that are built on that and used by advanced level lifters. Be careful bashing others athleticism with an absolute.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

which just drives home the point further that training the same group 2 days in a row won't be detrimental.

OP, you'll be fine.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Yeah... If he actually were trying to bodybuild, then working the same muscles two days in a row would probably be a bad idea. What he is doing? He'll be fine.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I know you need to do a day off between resistance training sessions because muscle builds during rest.

But right now I'm doing a total body workout 3x/week on weight machines. I'm using moderate weight/high reps for toning rather than body building as I'm dropping weight.

It is so much easier for me to get lifts in on Saturday/Sunday rather than Saturday/weekday.

Can I get away with doing light, total body workouts on machines two days in a row?

PS I'll accept "no" LOL. I'm looking for advice not just wanting to hear what I want to hear.

Thanks

I would personally do a lower body focus day on Saturday and and upper body focus day on Sunday. I think you would feel better (as a beginner) going that route instead of back to back full body days.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    That's hilarious. A lot of olympic lifting (snatch/clean & jerk) coaches have their athletes doing the same movements every day and squatting every day. I work out with one national level lifter who squats 9 times per week, yes, 9 times per week.