Eating at restaurants used to be fun, now it's kind of stressful.

Options

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    I rarely eat out (3 young kids) so when I do, I really don't care about the calories! I tend to stick to healthier options anyway, like chicken or fish and veg. If I'm eating out I'll make sure I've worked out that day.

Why not ask for a child's portion? I had lunch out at an Italian with a friend a couple of months ago, and we each asked for a child's portion of pasta.

It's a good idea to do the research before ordering. If it's a chain, the info is probably already online or on MFP. You can budget calories ahead of time, but it might be a better idea not to show up at the restaurant hungry. On impulse I got a seniors spagetti at Denny's (spontaneous celebration, didn't plan ahead, had a busy day and hadn't ate much), assuming it would be lower calorie as it was on the seniors menu. When I got home, I found out it was 800 calories (and 40 grams of fat), and was barely able to fit it into my calories for the day. So, I used up a lot of calories to try out something that looked a lot better than it tasted. I would have been better off getting a grilled chicken salad, which I already knew tasted good (I've been eating a lot of salads on this diet). But do find ways to enjoy yourself. If you are eating out for an aniversary, or it has to do with the holiday season, keep in mind that there will be plenty of days of healthy to make up for it (a different kind of 80/20). And if your family gets impatient with your concerns I sympathize. Some people just don't get it...Good luck :)

Why are you replying to me? Your post has nothing to do with mine!
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    However, the OP is 22 years old and has yet to return with her height (or maybe she did and I missed it) and has 5lbs pounds to lose. It's highly unlikely she needs to eat 1200 cals and that she could eat more.

No, I am not. I'm also short and old. I wish I was 22!

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    dawn0293 wrote: »
    However, the OP is 22 years old and has yet to return with her height (or maybe she did and I missed it) and has 5lbs pounds to lose. It's highly unlikely she needs to eat 1200 cals and that she could eat more.

I think she posted that in the wrong thread :laugh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Your 37 years old, by no means you are old. *rolling eyes*
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    My hubby and I go to Disney World once or twice a month. Sometimes I eat whatever I want, sometimes I watch what I eat, even pick child's meals because that's all i am hungry for or cause I want to fit in a mickey soft pretzel, love those things. :)

How in the 9 hells did you get food off the children's menu? When I tried that, I got shut down because I was too old.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I'm sorry!
    I got threads mixed up!
    Whoops!

My bad. It's Friday, my brain is dead clearly. Shame I have 2 more hours of work

ETA: This is the thread I thought I was replaying to: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10034633/1200-calorie-meal-plan-for-road-trip/p1
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    DerekVTX wrote: »
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    DerekVTX wrote: »
    Unfortunately everyone insisted on going to a local steakhouse no one had been to before for lunch. I got the smallest steak they offered because they said that they couldn't do the chicken without the sauce (I guess it must be premade and frozen that way?). I only took one bite of the garlic bread that they threw an entire loaf of on our plates and one small bite of the baked potato with butter. Ate all my salad, though. I can't do half at a restaurant unless I get kind of full. Honestly, I don't have that kind of willpower.

I still love to go to steak houses......I just tell them to please give me double steamed veggies (in lieu of Potato or Rice), and garden salad w/ a wedge of lemon (in lieu of salad dressing).......my motto is if your gonna have dressing on your salad then you may as well have french fries instead. :smiley:

Then I'd suggest getting a new motto. I feel dumber for having read that... Salad dressing is NOT the equivalent of french fries, when consumed in moderation (about 1-2 Tbsp) and if you think that's bad, then you need to reevaluate your knowledge of what is healthy.

Enjoy that 350 Calorie Salad at The Keg bud!......or even better have the 660 Calorie 44g fat Chicken Caesar Salad at Chilli's, or better yet go to the Olive Garden and enjoy their Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad and all its 850 Calories w/ 64grams of fat. Maybe you should re-evaluate your knowledge of what is healthy, just because it has lettuce in it and is called a salad doesn't make it healthy.

https://au.prime7.yahoo.com/q1/lifestyle/health/galleries/g/6756677/15-worst-restaurant-meals/6756739/

You assume that I'd rather go to those places and eat those items, except I made no insinuation of that... When in reality, I'd rather make my own salads at home so I can control what and exactly how much goes into it. The only point any of us are trying to make is that salad dressing isn't "bad for you" when you use just a little bit. One TBSP or maybe two is plenty to put on a big salad and still get the satisfaction of the dressing.

Moderation is key, fella. I've got the 50 pounds GONE to prove it. My brother has got the 170 pounds GONE to prove it... Along with numerous people on MFP.

The point is... Just because you deem it unhealthy, doesn't inherently MAKE it unhealthy. People just need to make better decisions on how much to consume. THAT'S what makes people fat... not the foods themselves.

I get what you are saying, and I practice it myself.....moderation. The OP was about going out to restaurants and depending on the habits of friends, family, or even if you work crazy hours like me (60 to 70 a week), some of us get stuck eating out more than others. Its just a good idea to make better choices when you do eat out, especially if you still have a lot to lose (Like both of us).

You are doing awesome, the 50 Lb point was a big deal for me, so congrats on that.

My favorite is Popcorn, and I will even have butter on them, but I just spread out the 1 Tbs over my 15 cups of popcorn........small amounts are fine (moderation), and some other people with different goals than mine may be okay to have 3 tbs of the butter. Damn I even had a piece of cheese cake last week. But for the most part I skip on those calorie rich foods as I has specific goals that I want to reach (90 lbs in 52 weeks). I am currently 75 lbs in 40 weeks.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My hubby and I go to Disney World once or twice a month. Sometimes I eat whatever I want, sometimes I watch what I eat, even pick child's meals because that's all i am hungry for or cause I want to fit in a mickey soft pretzel, love those things. :)

How in the 9 hells did you get food off the children's menu? When I tried that, I got shut down because I was too old.

Never had anyone question it. Just ordered it. :D
  • PikaKnight
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Your 37 years old, by no means you are old. *rolling eyes*

Well, I figure now that I am considered old enough for a mid life crisis that I am no spring chicken anymore. No big deal. I was young once. It was overrated.

• lishie_rebooted
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

This is what I get for having two threads open about somewhat similar things... lol
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Hate to say it, but it's probably because she's a woman. I've gotten away with getting child's meals at restaurants, but a couple of my guy friends who have tried get shut down too.

Zyxst is a woman too...

I wanna try it now to see my results. I'm confused for a 17yo often so it might work for me... (25 btw)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

This is what I get for having two threads open about somewhat similar things... lol

I've done this too so I understand :laugh:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I've never had a problem. Then again, it's rare I don't have my kids with me! I think some restaurants wouldn't let you.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Hate to say it, but it's probably because she's a woman. I've gotten away with getting child's meals at restaurants, but a couple of my guy friends who have tried get shut down too.

Zyxst is a woman too...

I wanna try it now to see my results. I'm confused for a 17yo often so it might work for me... (25 btw)

That was my bad. I thought she was a different avatar :( SORRY!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    3 - The notion that one meal out is going to somehow be your undoing is ridiculous.

I think this is the trap/excuse so many people living in the US fall into. I am not singling the US out, but know from experience that many other countries are " cook & eat at home " cultures, where people only go out to eat on very special occasions.
    When you say " it's just one meal ", there is no way of knowing if that is one meal a day, a week, a month or a year, which makes the point moot.
    The newest USDA report on 2013 says that the average American eats 37 % of their calories away from home, which clearly indicates that people eat much more than " just one meal " in a restaurant.
    If consuming a third plus of their calories in restaurants then yes, the smart person would worry about each meal, because 35% is not small potatoes.

For me, eating out is an occasional thing...maybe once or twice in a given month. If I ate out more often, I'd plan appropriately for it. I wouldn't stress about it this much though...other things would just be adjusted accordingly.

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. I eat out a lot, so I can't look at it as "just one meal" that won't hurt. I need to consider thoughtfully. It is much easier to go to places that provide nutritional info, but it does come down to common sense too. If I didn't have the info available, I'd order:

1. Breakfast: veggie egg white omelette, fresh fruit cup
    2. Salad with grilled chicken and veggies only. (Maybe avocado and/or bacon bits, but no dressing)
    3. Same as lunch; or plain salad then a grilled chicken breast or steak with steamed veggies--and I ask for LOTS of veggies.

I don't typically order/eat breads out unless the calorie info is provided. So many calories hide there even in plain bread. My drink is usually club soda with lemon. I try to remind myself that the outing is about the people, not the food.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Like others, I just do my best when out to eat. Make a reasonable choice and log it the best I can. I don't find it actually stalls my weight loss although the water weight might make it look like that, but my weight has been going down a pretty steady clip when I average things out. I do think it would slow things down if I were eating out very regularly.

Because for me I am 100% on board with doing this for the rest of my life, I'm not too worried about weight loss slowing down (which isn't to say that I don't prefer to lose faster). But the truth is that I want to be able to enjoy myself while out with friends and family. I want to have that variety in my palate. I want to be able to travel. So I choose to be OK with doing my best in each moment, and there is no going off-plan - it's all part of the plan.
  • PikaKnight
    edited December 2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Ang108 wrote: »
    3 - The notion that one meal out is going to somehow be your undoing is ridiculous.

I think this is the trap/excuse so many people living in the US fall into. I am not singling the US out, but know from experience that many other countries are " cook & eat at home " cultures, where people only go out to eat on very special occasions.
    When you say " it's just one meal ", there is no way of knowing if that is one meal a day, a week, a month or a year, which makes the point moot.
    The newest USDA report on 2013 says that the average American eats 37 % of their calories away from home, which clearly indicates that people eat much more than " just one meal " in a restaurant.
    If consuming a third plus of their calories in restaurants then yes, the smart person would worry about each meal, because 35% is not small potatoes.

For me, eating out is an occasional thing...maybe once or twice in a given month. If I ate out more often, I'd plan appropriately for it. I wouldn't stress about it this much though...other things would just be adjusted accordingly.

To also put perspective on this...

We aren't talking about people who aren't watching their intake. If you are on MFP, you are more than likely logging your food and sticking with a deficit (if your goal is to lose weight, of course).

So in regards to telling someone on the MFP forums that it is "just one meal", can't be held in the same standard as saying it to someone who isn't aware of their intake and taking steps to being proactive (in regards to staying in a deficit, balancing their week out, finding similar foods to provide an estimate, etc)

And us telling someone not to stress about it, is legit because you don't want to be so rigid about what you eat that you just give up after going over (or possibly going over) your calorie goal one day.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Huh... I actually enjoy eating out /more/ than I did before I started to lose weight. I don't go out often, maybe once a month, so I view it as a treat and eat whatever I want. It hasn't stalled my progress at all. Unless you go 3500 calories over maintenence (unlikely!), then any weight you gain is probably just water.