Is A Physically Demanding Job Sufficient?

Options

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    women did not lift in the 80's and body fat percentage wasn't really a thing then, so highly doubt it was used as it is today. and anyway, who cares if it was used in the 80's. it's still insulting.
    http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-weightlifting/women-in-weight-sports-part-2-olympic-lifting-in-modern-ages

yes, some women lifted in all ages, so what? doesn't mean it was as wide spread as now.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    Skinny/ fat is the term used quite often on MFP to describe someone who is within their ideal weight but still has a rather high BF.

SkinnyCandii, I wasn't being rude using the phrase, you had said you weren't happy with your body shape no matter what your weight was, and that you didn't have time for the gym.
    I took it that you wanted to improve your shape as well as lose a few pounds, I offered a simple home routine that would help you achieve that.

I worked as a 'chambermaid' in my 20's and though it burnt the calories, it didn't noticeably improve my overall physique.
    So yes, as I had posted, you could lose the weight you want eating at the correct deficit, but you would probably still be unhappy with your shape.

By the way I said I thought you wanted to lose the skinny/fat look. Not that you were skinny/fat.

My advice was valid for the information I had, and the terminology I used was within the scope of common usage on MFP.
    You asked for thoughts; those were mine.

Cheers, h.

yes, i know. i think that term needs to stop being used on here for people who are perfectly normal, but don't lift in order to be perfectly toned. it's just another way to body shame people.

It's not body shaming - it's the end result of bad dieting methods without the exercise to retain muscle mass - you get to goal weight with higher fat.

It would be body shaming if someone felt they looked fine and you pointed out their flabby underarms and overhanging waist when they bent slightly.

It's not body shaming when some already describes the results and you are merely letting them know the name of it. Or trying to warn them of the end result if they want to do the diet the wrong way.

Because guess what, search google for improve skinny fat, you'll get some good results. And losing more weight isn't one of them.

no, it's body shaming. it isn't necessarily the result of dieting AT ALL. some people are not naturally muscular, particularly women. at 5'5" and 130, there is going to be some additional fat on many people even if they never dieted in their life, ever. It is not exactly underweight. Women DO naturally have some fat. Just because a persons stomach isn't completely flat at that weight doesn't mean there needs to be a negative term to describe it. It is completely normal and healthy. At my lowest adult weight WITHOUT dieting I was around 101 and 5'4" (I was just naturally skinny), then I gained weight throughout my life. It obviously did not go on as all muscle, mostly fat. At 130 I had some extra fat. It wasn't do to dieting at all. She said she was naturally thin at 115, so I believe her. Based on my own body this seems reasonable. The term skinny fat needs to die. I'm not specifically referring to this girl. I'm referring to the term in general which is body shaming towards women.

And yet most of the women responding are telling you there's nothing wrong with the term. In fact, it's used by many people seeking help to rectify the situation, and also used to describe men as well

Young, young Aviva. You'd do very well to read ^ this, and accept it. It is truth, regardless of your personal projections.

i read it and just because something is used often doesn't mean it isn't insulting.

i'm not young. what makes you think i'm young?

The naivete in your posts. Like the one previous to this one I'm replying to.

You'll get some perspective once you get a few more miles on you. Also yes, that's how it was used in the 80s.

women did not lift in the 80's, so highly doubt it was used as it is today.

I have old bodybuilding magazines that disagree

less of them did. is that better? it is more the norm now than it was then.

Umm alot of guys started going to the gym in the 80's to meet women, since there were a lot of them there.

women did more cardio at the gym than weight lifting in the 80's. this is beyond the point that the term skinny fat is insulting though.

Take your projection out of it. skinnyfat is a description. Your projection is what makes you feel it is insulting. On top of that, you're arguing a point that you know nothing about. Totes MFP brah, but just reinforces what I said. :)

SPK.
    i see the types of people the term is used to describe and it is insulting.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Your opiion, is not reflective upon reality, fyi.

Not everyone is so thin skinned as well. Takes all kinds.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Skinny/ fat is the term used quite often on MFP to describe someone who is within their ideal weight but still has a rather high BF.

SkinnyCandii, I wasn't being rude using the phrase, you had said you weren't happy with your body shape no matter what your weight was, and that you didn't have time for the gym.
    I took it that you wanted to improve your shape as well as lose a few pounds, I offered a simple home routine that would help you achieve that.

I worked as a 'chambermaid' in my 20's and though it burnt the calories, it didn't noticeably improve my overall physique.
    So yes, as I had posted, you could lose the weight you want eating at the correct deficit, but you would probably still be unhappy with your shape.

By the way I said I thought you wanted to lose the skinny/fat look. Not that you were skinny/fat.

My advice was valid for the information I had, and the terminology I used was within the scope of common usage on MFP.

Cheers, h.

yes, i know. i think that term needs to stop being used on here for people who are perfectly normal, but don't lift in order to be perfectly toned. it's just another way to body shame people.

It's not body shaming - it's the end result of bad dieting methods without the exercise to retain muscle mass - you get to goal weight with higher fat.

It would be body shaming if someone felt they looked fine and you pointed out their flabby underarms and overhanging waist when they bent slightly.

It's not body shaming when some already describes the results and you are merely letting them know the name of it. Or trying to warn them of the end result if they want to do the diet the wrong way.

Because guess what, search google for improve skinny fat, you'll get some good results. And losing more weight isn't one of them.

no, it's body shaming. it isn't necessarily the result of dieting AT ALL. some people are not naturally muscular, particularly women. at 5'5" and 130, there is going to be some additional fat on many people even if they never dieted in their life, ever. It is not exactly underweight. Women DO naturally have some fat. Just because a persons stomach isn't completely flat at that weight doesn't mean there needs to be a negative term to describe it. It is completely normal and healthy. At my lowest adult weight WITHOUT dieting I was around 101 and 5'4" (I was just naturally skinny), then I gained weight throughout my life. It obviously did not go on as all muscle, mostly fat. At 130 I had some extra fat. It wasn't do to dieting at all. She said she was naturally thin at 115, so I believe her. Based on my own body this seems reasonable. The term skinny fat needs to die. I'm not specifically referring to this girl. I'm referring to the term in general which is body shaming towards women.

And yet most of the women responding are telling you there's nothing wrong with the term. In fact, it's used by many people seeking help to rectify the situation, and also used to describe men as well

Young, young Aviva. You'd do very well to read ^ this, and accept it. It is truth, regardless of your personal projections.

i read it and just because something is used often doesn't mean it isn't insulting.

The naivete in your posts. Like the one previous to this one I'm replying to.

You'll get some perspective once you get a few more miles on you. Also yes, that's how it was used in the 80s.

women did not lift in the 80's, so highly doubt it was used as it is today.

I have old bodybuilding magazines that disagree

less of them did. is that better? it is more the norm now than it was then.

Umm alot of guys started going to the gym in the 80's to meet women, since there were a lot of them there.

women did more cardio at the gym than weight lifting in the 80's. this is beyond the point that the term skinny fat is insulting though.

Take your projection out of it. skinnyfat is a description. Your projection is what makes you feel it is insulting. On top of that, you're arguing a point that you know nothing about. Totes MFP brah, but just reinforces what I said. :)

SPK.

I see your point, but "fat" is also a description. It describes a person who is overweight and has high body fat. I honestly don't see how "skinny fat" is any different. I don't mean as a concept, but as a label for a person.

And if you want to argue that "fat" isn't offensive, I'd like you to first spend a day on MFP calling people fat and see what kind of response you get.

I understand totally what it is meant to describe, it's just a very rude term for it, in my opinion.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Fat as a descriptor is just as offensive as blonde, naive, brown, skinny, muscular, short, etc.

You're going to take exception to all those? Go for it. You're going a little overboard with the kid gloves MPN...
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    Fat as a descriptor is just as offensive as blonde, naive, brown, skinny, muscular, short, etc.

You're going to take exception to all those? Go for it. You're going a little overboard with the kid gloves MPN...

I'm not saying that it is necessarily intended to be derisive, just that the term "fat" (to describe a person, not adipose tissue itself) , and by extension, "skinny fat" is a pretty loaded term for a lot of people. I'm not even saying people "should" necessarily be offended, just that they generally are.

The Ajahn at my gym is from Thailand, where people are thin due to poverty rather than choice (at least in his area; can't comment on all of Thailand as I've never been). When he first came to Canada he used to tell the girls at the gym that they could be fighters if they weren't so fat. He didn't mean it in any kind of derogatory way, but feelings were hurt.

If you really think that people don't find the word fat any more offensive than blonde, feel free to tell the next overweight towhead that you see that they are blonde and fat, and see which one they react to :p

BTW, I actually apologized to my opponent for kneeing her at a tournament this year (totally legal and common strike), so I don't necessarily disagree about the kid gloves, lol
  • dbmata
    Options
    I've never apologized to anyone in a tournament. lol. Surprisingly, descriptors don't bother me, but if someone took it to me hard, and apologized later, I'd be pissed. lol.

They're just descriptors. Accurate. So if we don't like "fat" as a descriptor, but adipose tissue being fat as it is, and our percentage of fat load is being called body fat %. Then would overfat being a far more precise term, be considered more PC?

The descriptors that I find offensive are the childlike ones, like fluffy, bbw/bbm, padded, etc. etc. Those make light of the user's educational level, and don't respect basic diction.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You do not need to lose 15 lbs. If you are unhappy with the way your body looks, you should look into body recomposition.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    I've never apologized to anyone in a tournament. lol. Surprisingly, descriptors don't bother me, but if someone took it to me hard, and apologized later, I'd be pissed. lol.

They're just descriptors. Accurate. So if we don't like "fat" as a descriptor, but adipose tissue being fat as it is, and our percentage of fat load is being called body fat %. Then would overfat being a far more precise term, be considered more PC?

The descriptors that I find offensive are the childlike ones, like fluffy, bbw/bbm, padded, etc. etc. Those make light of the user's educational level, and don't respect basic diction.

Oh no, I didn't apologize later. We were in the clinch, I kneed her, said "I'm sorry", and then kneed her again. I didn't mean to say it, it just slipped out. I can't help it. I'm Canadian. ( And yeah, it didn't make her particularly happy, lol.)
  • dbmata
    Options
    hah, I like you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be called skinny fat than just plain ol fat!! I've only got a few kgs left to lose and you can bet your bottom dollar I'll have a bit of skinny fat goin on! I own it, and I have to wear it :) I wouldn't take offence to someone pointing out the obvious. ..
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the term skinny fat is used incorrectly on mfp. It can be confusing at first. And sometimes hilarious when mfp people all start chiming in with what they think it means. Mfp was the first place I heard it. It's just not a common term in my life. I don't really have a point and I'm not trying to keep this topic going. That was just something I wanted to add.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Cleaning apartments? How do you not have time to work out after? Are you cleaning EMPTY apartments? If so, are there so many apartments empty that you are busy 5 days a week from 8am to 5:30pm? Our cleaner is usually only on property a good few hours and then off to tend to his hobbies.

Other then that, if you stay active you should be good. Cleaning empty apartments even for a few hours is an energy consuming job, especially if you are lugging heavy equipment up stairs.

Whoa, what's with the attitude? You don't think doing heavy cleaning all day is hard work? It can be back-breaking from my experience. She said she is exhausted after a day of it, and I believe her!
  • dbmata
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Cleaning apartments? How do you not have time to work out after? Are you cleaning EMPTY apartments? If so, are there so many apartments empty that you are busy 5 days a week from 8am to 5:30pm? Our cleaner is usually only on property a good few hours and then off to tend to his hobbies.

Other then that, if you stay active you should be good. Cleaning empty apartments even for a few hours is an energy consuming job, especially if you are lugging heavy equipment up stairs.

Whoa, what's with the attitude? You don't think doing heavy cleaning all day is hard work? It can be back-breaking from my experience. She said she is exhausted after a day of it, and I believe her!
    Entitled people who don't ever have to do a lick of manual labor often forget how challenging and taxing it could be.
  • fatcity66
    Options

First off, lifting is encouraged, so as to retain muscle mass while losing fat, not to "tone". Skinny/fat, is not a term that was "coined" on MFP, it's a description used to describe people who have lost weight, without maintaining muscle. It isn't used in a derogatory sense nor to "body shame" as you're stating.

lifting is good. i disagree with you about the rest.

You really think skinnyfat was coined on MFP? How old are you? I remember hearing that in the 80s. Do you bieber? It's also a description, no shaming involved until others start projecting their own internal weaknesses and mental challenges.

I actually never heard the term until MFP. I'm over 30. Just sayin.
  • fatcity66
    Options

Entitled people who don't ever have to do a lick of manual labor often forget how challenging and taxing it could be.

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking, but didn't say it. LOL
  • dbmata
    Options

First off, lifting is encouraged, so as to retain muscle mass while losing fat, not to "tone". Skinny/fat, is not a term that was "coined" on MFP, it's a description used to describe people who have lost weight, without maintaining muscle. It isn't used in a derogatory sense nor to "body shame" as you're stating.

lifting is good. i disagree with you about the rest.

You really think skinnyfat was coined on MFP? How old are you? I remember hearing that in the 80s. Do you bieber? It's also a description, no shaming involved until others start projecting their own internal weaknesses and mental challenges.

I actually never heard the term until MFP. I'm over 30. Just sayin.
    I remember Sally Jesse talking about it when she had ol R. Simmons on once, long, long ago. Early 80s. That was the first time I heard it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

Cos you're not old enough for "young" to be a compliment that sends you doing cartwheels? :p Just kidding I don't necessarily have an opinion about your age :)

• Aviva92
    edited December 2014
    Options

Cheers, h.

Cos you're not old enough for "young" to be a compliment that sends you doing cartwheels? :p Just kidding I don't necessarily have an opinion about your age :)

well, if someone is going to say i'm young because i look young, sure it's a compliment, but i'm not sure commenting on afro-dog's looks really means much. i took the post as insulting my intelligence.
  • SkinnyCandii
    SkinnyCandii Posts: 46
    edited December 2014
    Options
    b