Is A Physically Demanding Job Sufficient?

Options

Replies

• SkinnyCandii
    Options
    I think that anyone that has struggled with anorexia, and has recovered to a physically healthy place can benefit from strength training. I'm not saying her goals are disordered. I'm responding to her profile. I do think dealing with the underlying psychological issues is important.

My profile clearly states that past eating problems have caused me to gain weight, and now I am trying to get back to normal in a HEALTHY way.
    My thinking, and how I feel is irrelevant to the topic of this discussion.
    And yes, I take counselling, mostly for other things, though.

• SkinnyCandii
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    women did not lift in the 80's and body fat percentage wasn't really a thing then, so highly doubt it was used as it is today. and anyway, who cares if it was used in the 80's. it's still insulting.
    http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-weightlifting/women-in-weight-sports-part-2-olympic-lifting-in-modern-ages

Women did lift in the 80s. They mostly did more aerobics-type workouts to stay toned.
    Have you ever watched Three's Company? The show that ran through the 70s and 80s. THe girls on that show didn't lift, they did more like squats and poses to stay toned.
  • SkinnyCandii
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Cleaning apartments? How do you not have time to work out after? Are you cleaning EMPTY apartments? If so, are there so many apartments empty that you are busy 5 days a week from 8am to 5:30pm? Our cleaner is usually only on property a good few hours and then off to tend to his hobbies.

Other then that, if you stay active you should be good. Cleaning empty apartments even for a few hours is an energy consuming job, especially if you are lugging heavy equipment up stairs.

Whoa, what's with the attitude? You don't think doing heavy cleaning all day is hard work? It can be back-breaking from my experience. She said she is exhausted after a day of it, and I believe her!
    Entitled people who don't ever have to do a lick of manual labor often forget how challenging and taxing it could be.

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking, but didn't say it. LOL

It pretty much depends on what we do, in a day. Usually it's really intense.
  • SkinnyCandii
    Options
    I can't believe I actually read through this whole discussion... 'Twas very entertaining, I must say. ;)
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    women did not lift in the 80's and body fat percentage wasn't really a thing then, so highly doubt it was used as it is today. and anyway, who cares if it was used in the 80's. it's still insulting.
    http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-weightlifting/women-in-weight-sports-part-2-olympic-lifting-in-modern-ages

Women did lift in the 80s. They mostly did more aerobics-type workouts to stay toned.
    Have you ever watched Three's Company? The show that ran through the 70s and 80s. THe girls on that show didn't lift, they did more like squats and poses to stay toned.

yeah, i was actually thinking of three's company too with those posts.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Cleaning apartments? How do you not have time to work out after? Are you cleaning EMPTY apartments? If so, are there so many apartments empty that you are busy 5 days a week from 8am to 5:30pm? Our cleaner is usually only on property a good few hours and then off to tend to his hobbies.

Other then that, if you stay active you should be good. Cleaning empty apartments even for a few hours is an energy consuming job, especially if you are lugging heavy equipment up stairs.

Whoa, what's with the attitude? You don't think doing heavy cleaning all day is hard work? It can be back-breaking from my experience. She said she is exhausted after a day of it, and I believe her!
    Entitled people who don't ever have to do a lick of manual labor often forget how challenging and taxing it could be.

I don't do any manual labor, but cleaning apartments for a living sounds extremely exhausting to me. I was confused why anyone would believe otherwise. I don't even clean my apartment that much because cleaning sucks. I don't blame the o.p. for not wanting to work out beyond that.
  • SkinnyCandii
    Options

yeah, i was actually thinking of three's company too with those posts.

I love that show! And I am forever jealous of Chrissy's legs.
  • SkinnyCandii
    Options

I don't do any manual labor, but cleaning apartments for a living sounds extremely exhausting to me. I was confused why anyone would believe otherwise. I don't even clean my apartment that much because cleaning sucks. I don't blame the o.p. for not wanting to work out beyond that.

It is, believe me!
    Today we did 4 floors, 12 rooms per floor, of intense cleaning. Then, we did two offices.
    My back is so sore, because I had to wear a heavy vaccum cleaner that straps onto my back, for a few hours.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

lol yeah. I mostly played hopscotch in the 80s but no one I knew talked about "skinny fat" in the 90s or even early 00s. I'm going to say Jillian Michaels first sparked widespread interest in being "strong" (if not lifting per se).

I dislike the phrase "skinny fat", and the way it's applied to normal weight people who aren't actually fat, but I think the idea is helpful, inasmuch as it's made it possible for people who are dissatisfied with their appearance at low BMIs to at least have access to a way of thinking about body image that does not automatically lead to starvation as a solution.

"Overfat" or "normal weight obesity", I think, are appropriately applied to those who are at a normal BMI and actually do have ~30ish % bf and above. That's a legit risk to health.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I don't think TV is an accurate representation, since we're now in 2014 and I can't think of a single TV show which depicts women doing any exercise other than running, yoga, or spin/aerobics/dance classes. The only time you see a woman doing "male" exercises like push-ups or pull-ups is when she is "trying to be like the guys" in the context of military role like that GI Jane nonsense or the one lone female Marine we got in Aliens, and they only got to do that on the condition that they had short hair and removed any trace of feminine characteristics.

Oh wait, we're also allowed to do them on-screen in the context of showing how weak and out of shape we are, provided we collapse on the ground in a puddle of sweat after trying to do one push-up or show our faces straining with effort on a pull-up while the camera pans down to our toes scraping the floor as we flail around helplessly. But thankfully, a man will be right along to check on us and make sure we didn't hurt our little selves, and then we'll have a boyfriend and all of our problems in life will be solved. *retching*
  • SkinnyCandii
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I don't think TV is an accurate representation, since we're now in 2014 and I can't think of a single TV show which depicts women doing any exercise other than running, yoga, or spin/aerobics/dance classes. The only time you see a woman doing "male" exercises like push-ups or pull-ups is when she is "trying to be like the guys" in the context of military role like that GI Jane nonsense or the one lone female Marine we got in Aliens, and they only got to do that on the condition that they had short hair and removed any trace of feminine characteristics.

Oh wait, we're also allowed to do them on-screen in the context of showing how weak and out of shape we are, provided we collapse on the ground in a puddle of sweat after trying to do one push-up or show our faces straining with effort on a pull-up while the camera pans down to our toes scraping the floor as we flail around helplessly. But thankfully, a man will be right along to check on us and make sure we didn't hurt our little selves, and then we'll have a boyfriend and all of our problems in life will be solved. *retching*

I'm not seeing TV is an accurate representation of anything. However, if woman didn't do those things, they wouldn't have just casually have it in the show.
    Also, I never said they did men's workouts, however< some women did. Back then, women were lot more feminin then they are now, and they did "Female" workouts, like I had stated before.
    If you don't believe me, you can research it for yourself.
    I also saw a video once, that I thought would be fun to metion. It was from the 1940s, and it was of a girl teaching a class of women some squats, poses and aerobic moves they can do at home to stay in shape. I thought that was interesting.
  • SkinnyCandii
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

lol yeah. I mostly played hopscotch in the 80s but no one I knew talked about "skinny fat" in the 90s or even early 00s. I'm going to say Jillian Michaels first sparked widespread interest in being "strong" (if not lifting per se).

I dislike the phrase "skinny fat", and the way it's applied to normal weight people who aren't actually fat, but I think the idea is helpful, inasmuch as it's made it possible for people who are dissatisfied with their appearance at low BMIs to at least have access to a way of thinking about body image that does not automatically lead to starvation as a solution.

"Overfat" or "normal weight obesity", I think, are appropriately applied to those who are at a normal BMI and actually do have ~30ish % bf and above. That's a legit risk to health.

I rode my bike for hours every day, and rode horses as a kid. I also did Taekwondo, figure skating, and dance.
    I'm a 90s kid, though.
  • SkinnyCandii
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Do you clean the apartments alone? Throw in some body weight exercises as you clean? 5 sets of squats, lunges, push-ups mixed into a clean apartment

Use your cleaning products as counter weights ...a full bucket with arm rows?

Get inventive

And btw possibly time to realise that our scale weight in our teens does not become our ideal scale weight for life ... Take measurements / photos and ignore the absolute weight
    THat would be so awkward! Haha.
    No, I am always with at least one other person.
  • Aviva92
    edited December 2014
    Options

when you phrase it that way, i can see how the idea can be somewhat helpful. lifting and building muscle is certainly healthier than dieting when you are already a normal weight. dieting is easier though.
  • SkinnyCandii
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    It seems to me that your inspirations listed on your profile page say a lot. There appears to be some disordered thinking.

None of us should be repulsed by our bodies regardless of the weight, and you certainly have no reason to be repulsed by your body, at 130lb you have a bmi 21.6.

Why at your current weight would you feel that you need to hide yourself away and not leave the house?

Are you currently undertaking any counselling? If not, perhaps you should seriously consider it.

Hmmm yes I just looked at her "friends." Several of them start with "ana."

Are you telling me that if you were overweight, the largest person in your family, have had people point out that you're overweight often, and have previously struggled with eating disorder, that you would not feel ashamed and embarrassed at all?
    Wouldn't you like to look in the mirror and be happy and proud of your body? That's all I'm trying to acheive.
    Also, the majority of my friends on here are people who are recovering from Eating disorders, and we support eachother positively. And, quite frankly, my mental state is none of your business. If you read my profile's description, you would see I have clearly stated my goals of reaching my goal weight, in a HEALTHY way.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    It seems to me that your inspirations listed on your profile page say a lot. There appears to be some disordered thinking.

None of us should be repulsed by our bodies regardless of the weight, and you certainly have no reason to be repulsed by your body, at 130lb you have a bmi 21.6.

Why at your current weight would you feel that you need to hide yourself away and not leave the house?

Are you currently undertaking any counselling? If not, perhaps you should seriously consider it.

Hmmm yes I just looked at her "friends." Several of them start with "ana."

Are you telling me that if you were overweight, the largest person in your family, have had people point out that you're overweight often, and have previously struggled with eating disorder, that you would not feel ashamed and embarrassed at all?
    Wouldn't you like to look in the mirror and be happy and proud of your body? That's all I'm trying to acheive.
    Also, the majority of my friends on here are people who are recovering from Eating disorders, and we support eachother positively. And, quite frankly, my mental state is none of your business. If you read my profile's description, you would see I have clearly stated my goals of reaching my goal weight, in a HEALTHY way.

At 5'5 and 130, your weight is NORMAL if not a little low. If anyone in my life made me feel anything short of beautiful, I'd be looking for replacements, stat. Who the hell are these people, anyway? You deserve so much better
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

when you phrase it that way, i can see how the idea can be somewhat helpful. lifting and building muscle is certainly healthier than dieting when you are already a normal weight. dieting is easier though.

I imagine which is easier would be an individual call. At a tiny body weight the calorie allowance can be quite low and getting even smaller or cutting to lose weight would drive it down even lower. Exercise can be challenging, but at the same time the pros didn't roll out of bed one morning being able to do everything they can. They all started somewhere...

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

I rode my bike for hours every day, and rode horses as a kid. I also did Taekwondo, figure skating, and dance.
    I'm a 90s kid, though.

ok well i obviously didn't only play hopscotch, lol. but good for you!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I definitely would never want to maintain a body weight that requires low calories. I'm at a low weight because I am a small person. But, I eat around 2000 calories a day.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    I definitely would never want to maintain a body weight that requires low calories. I'm at a low weight because I am a small person. But, I eat around 2000 calories a day.

yeah, my calorie consumption isn't that low either to maintain my weight. i don't count calories anymore though. i'm guessing that for the o.p. her calorie goal will be relatively high too with her very active job.