I know many people are against cleanses but....a TMI problem

Options

Replies

• christinet2013
    christinet2013 Posts: 6 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You should see a doctor if its that bad, but Mag Oxide may actually be your issue. Sometime those can stop you up. The citrate form is the one that boosts MG for what you need it for :smile:

That + lots of water should get things moving.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP: See a doctor, taking a bunch of pills could cause more issues.

Also eat more FAT, FAT, FAT!!!!!

In case you missed it again, up your FAT intake!!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    Natural Vitality Natural Calm
    Get it on Amazon or at healthfood stores. Take it every night. It's a magnesium supplement that works EVERYTIME. You may have to play around to figure out the correct dosage for you, but you will thank me. :)

I just checked out the product's site, and it looks like it's a magnesium supplement. I already take a magnesium supplement. Perhaps I should play with the dosage so that it's the same as this product?

I haven't read all of the replies, so apologies if anything that I'm about to say is repetition...

Natural vitality Natural Calm is marketed as a calming/sleep aid. But yes, it also has laxative properties. It was suggested to me as a sleep aid by a health professional - I took it once and felt like I was hungover and in a constant fog the next morning. It did help me go though...which I need no help in doing... I was very uncomfortable, to say the least. So be careful with this product, even though it is "all natural."

IF you haven't already, I would see a doctor. I have IBS and it vacillates - but usually if I am constipated, it's an indication that I need to up/pay better attention to my intake of green veggies. But that is just what works for me. What you are describing sounds far from normal. Perhaps you have a food intolerance or need to combine your foods better (yes, I know, people on here say to eat whatever, whenever, as long as it fits your calories, macros, etc. but for me personally, when my stomach/digestion is being funny, food combining is a big issue) - BUT SEE A DOCTOR. Seriously. Don't search on here for answers and don't guess. It could be nothing or it could be something.

ETA: As others have suggested - TRY MORE FAT IN YOUR DIET. But also see your doctor. But fat is good.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I'm what is known as a "hyperresponsive" person. I know some people are able to eat animal products and shellfish and it doesn't affect their numbers. Since I'm a post-menopausal female and have a genetic tendency toward high cholesterol, I have to be careful. If I eat high cholesterol foods such as eggs, shellfish, or animal fat, it shows up on my cholesterol test. Usually, I go off that stuff cold turkey for about a month before the test just to get the total down to around 200.

I've been battling doctors for years over my cholesterol, since I've had LDL's as high as 170. In fact, I was on Welchol and Questran for a couple of years -- talk about constipation -- I'd do anything to avoid being on that sludge again, plus it was giving me upper GI trouble.

Since you have special issues, why are you asking a bunch of non-professionals when really you need to be asking your doctor?
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Have you read about the sugar free gummy bear cleanse? This doctor says don't eat more than 15:

http://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview.com/2014/02/51477/local-doctor-weighs-in-on-the-gummy-bear-cleanse/

Oh, and :wink:

55835802.png
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    So avoid animal fats if you are afraid of upping your cholesterol. Avocados, nuts, nut butters, etc. These will not raise your cholesterol.

More water, more fat. When you increase fibre, you need to increase water and fats.
  • sksscott
    sksscott Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This fear of fats that doctors, and the American Heart Association, starting implanting in us in the 80s has hurt a lot of people, including myself. I had my gallbladder removed as a direct result of low/no fat dieting. I would bet many of the people on this board at least know someone who has had their gallbladder removed in the last twenty years. And I would also bet that a majority of those followed eating a low/no fat diet at some point prior. I ask that anyone with a fear of fat please read current medical studies regarding cholesterol, brain development and other health issues. Much of the fear mongering regarding fats has been disproven.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So I just skimmed your diary.

Go to white castle/five guys- get a burger.

problem solved.

You're fat content is WAY to low.

This ^^^

Eating loads of fiber itself won't get you going if you aren't drinking enough water and eating enough healthy fats to get what you've just binded together(with the fiber) to leave the body.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Then, include more HEALTHY fats... Mono- and Polyunsaturated fats. This won't affect your cholesterol.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had 1 fried egg, bacon, a small pork chop, almonds, and brussel sprouts cooked in olive oil. I must admit it was a "good day" in the bathroom, so the fat remedy might be the answer. Thanks for all the good advice and concern. And yes, I am raising this issue with my doctor next week and might repost on what I hear. I posted on MFP because people here do have experiences and strong opinions on cleanses and such. Also, my understanding was that constipation is a fairly common health problem for the general population (as opposed to those of us who try to eat healthy).
  • Sirlevisarmy
    Sirlevisarmy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My son takes miralax daily for his digestive issues. (He has a lot going on in the g.I. departments) BUT make sure you increase your water intake if you do miralax! Miralax is a different type of laxative. Most stimulate your bowls to move quicker. But the medication rehydrates your poop making it looser. So if you don't take in extra water you could dehydrate yourself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    While I would never say "go to a fast food joint" to be regular, eating more fat is probably good. Also, I find that while more fiber is binding, a good magnesium supplement (I prefer magnesium citrate) to really help with regularity.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I don't often eat fast food, but when we are traveling (which is also a time when this issue crops up), my husband will say, "Time for the bacon cheeseburger cure!" A couple years ago, we stayed in Florida, where I was virtuously eating oatmeal or an egg white sandwich at the hotel Starbucks every day. Halfway through the week, I didn't even want to appear in my bathing suit, I was so bloated. Then hubby took me to a Steak n Shake, which literally eliminated the problem.
  • reachingforarainbow
    Options
    Okay sooooo NO I don't think you should be eating more animal fats.

There are other kinds of fat.... aka Nuts, Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocados. Try those. As for cholesterol, and your regularity problem, try some oatmeal but make with twice the water. Oatmeal has been shown to lower cholesterol and definitely helps move things along
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    2 to 3 days? That's it? I can go about 2 weeks sometimes. Yes, constipation and problems with regularity are very uncomfortable. Try more fat, as has been suggested. Do NOT tru more fiber. Too much fiber has the opposite effect. If invreased fat intake doesn't work, see a doctor. It could be a digestive issue.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Sorry for typos, I'm on my tablet
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Okay sooooo NO I don't think you should be eating more animal fats.

There are other kinds of fat.... aka Nuts, Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocados. Try those. As for cholesterol, and your regularity problem, try some oatmeal but make with twice the water. Oatmeal has been shown to lower cholesterol and definitely helps move things along

what's wrong with animal fats?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I take it OP hasn't heard the saying, "Like grease through a goose."
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You may consider seeing a doctor. I have a dairy intolerance and experience the same symptoms when I eat exorbitant amounts of dairy. You may just have an intolerance or allergy to something. If so, medication or low moderation could easily fix that problem.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    yup, fat's the issue here.

Eat some, lose a few pounds.