Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options
( I know I know, some people see this as negative, but remember, it's really for the best. Three years ago I didn't know what I was doing, but I still didn't break these rules)

So....new years came early in the gym today. Alrighty, I'm super happy that several people are taking the steps to be healthy this year! Go you! That being said, here are some simple guidelines of gym etiquette that you should follow, lest the regular gym goers will want to drop kick you in the face.
#1. The Squat rack is for squats. DO NOT CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK. If you feel the need to use a full Olympic bar for your maximum, super awesome curls, there is a power rack right next to the squat rack. Or, you know, a curl bar...and dumbbells.....
#2. Re-rack your F-ing weights. You were able to pick them up and put them on machine, you're certainly strong enough to put them back.
#3.If you are unsure how to use a machine, GOOD NEWS, there's instructions right on the machine that show you exactly what muscles you're working out, and how to do it!
#4. It's perfectly ok to ask if you can get a set in while someone is using a machine,(if you JUST CAN'T WAIT) we will usually say yes! But don't feel entitled enough to just jump on along side without asking...bro...it's rude.
#5. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Sure, a lot of us look big, scary, and angry. That's just our game face. Most of us (especially gym employees) are more than happy to spot you, and give you advice when asked politely.
#6. Don't stand inches in front of the free weights/mirror and do your set. Please take a few steps back so we can reach what we need.
#7. It's perfectly ok to admire your physique you've worked so hard for, and to see if you're hitting your muscle groups right. But don't blatenly check yourself out, and lift your shirt up to admire your abs. That being said, if you're 130lb male, and you have abs...we really aren't that impressed.
#8. Don't get caught staring at boobs and *kitten*.......
#9. Speaking of boobs, it's awesome that you want to share this experience with your significant other, but don't get too touchy when correcting her "form". Also, if it's obvious she/he REALLY doesn't want to be there, don't ask them to be. They could be texting at home instead of on that bench everyone is eye-ing.
#10. Wipe down your damn bench. Nothing quite like seeing another persons *kitten*, and back print on the seat to get me pumped for a set.
#11. Please, please leave the weights in the weight section. Don't run off them, making us all wonder if the gym has gremlins.
#12. Please don't hoard the dumbbells. Often, you can only lift two dumbbells at a time. If you have made a nest of 8 dumbbells, even if you super set, it is SUPER annoying to the other gym goers.

Hope this helps! Happy New Year. Go kick some *kitten*.

Replies

• hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    All those are sound advice.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Please please listen to this woman. Most importantly #s 1, 2, and 10-12.
  • alighterday
    alighterday Posts: 28
    edited January 2015
    Options
    yes yes yes - All of them -- very sound advice . At my gym, which is the Y, the seniors come to socialize, and will sit at two different machines to shoot the bull with each other. All day you have to ask people to let you use the machines. If you are going to do exercises with dumb bells, don't sit on the darn bike - sit on the darn bench. I'm a senior also but I've never seen this before, they don't even wear workout shoes, they wear Stacy Adams shoes, Kangol hats and street pants!! OK enough complaining.
    -
  • bstetson1
    bstetson1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yikes. My gym was a little busier but not near that annoying. Oh please, oh please, let these people stay away.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good list

Also, if the gym has free child care rooms there is no reason to let children just run amuk in other areas the gym. It's dangerous! Lifeguards are not baby sitters, don't think you can send them to the pool area if you are not going there yourself.
  • sexymonicat
    Options
    I always snitch on stray kids or kids sitting by a machine lol theres a lobby they can sit in. And I hate when people bring em in the locker room wheres theres a bunch of neked women.
  • DirtyForWeeks
    DirtyForWeeks Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No farting. Come on people, I know you feel it coming. Just hold it or go to the bathroom.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    #10. Wipe down your damn bench. Nothing quite like seeing another persons *kitten*, and back print on the seat to get me pumped for a set.

Hmmm. I don't think I've ever seen anyone other than the gym employees wiping down a bench. Think I'll start carrying a towel while lifting, 'tho...maybe I can civilize things a bit. Next step might even be eliminating cannibalism (although then we'd be stuck with using whey for a supplement).

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    and ease up on the perfume and cologne ...... thanks in advance !
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    No farting. Come on people, I know you feel it coming. Just hold it or go to the bathroom.

Sometimes not until the bottom of the squat though...
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could break rule #9.
  • Vegas_Don
    Vegas_Don Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    in reference to number 8, Boobs, butt, crotch.... It's all a distraction. After all we're there to work out, not torment the old guys (me). Unfortunately I go to a gym where the strippers frequent. Nothing against strippers mind you... I'd rather they left more to the imagination. I am a man after all, and I'm going to look. I might even smile or wink.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    All on for #1. Amen!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    bstetson1 wrote: »
    Yikes. My gym was a little busier but not near that annoying. Oh please, oh please, let these people stay away.

Well hopefully some, if not all, make it a regular visit and improve their fitness and health.

• floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This is sound advice, I work out at my local YMCA and to be honest every morning this week ive went down to the weight room its been an effin pig sty. Weights and dumbells all over the place, bars still loaded with plates on them and one lying in the middle of the floor with one 45lb weight on it. I couldnt find the 20lb or 35lb dumbells and someone had even spilled their chalk dust all over the floor and just left it. so #2 is my biggest pet peeve.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    This is sound advice, I work out at my local YMCA and to be honest every morning this week ive went down to the weight room its been an effin pig sty. Weights and dumbells all over the place, bars still loaded with plates on them and one lying in the middle of the floor with one 45lb weight on it. I couldnt find the 20lb or 35lb dumbells and someone had even spilled their chalk dust all over the floor and just left it. so #2 is my biggest pet peeve.

Last spring I busted some guy leaving every machine he used loaded....with 45s. There are several women who lift, and we got sick of spending an extra 15 minutes unloading machines, so I paid attention until I saw him. Then I walked over and told him " rerack your weights. I almost dropped one on my foot last week" . His eyes got big as saucers, but he jumped right up and did it. And for about a month after, he openly watched me lift.

For the record, I'm about 5'2" tall and not super muscular....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

baw ha ha ha ha ha

yeah no.

that's just not how this works.

that's not how ANY of this works.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Keep grunting/yelling to a minimum.

please wipe down the machines if you use them. I dont want your poop germs all over me.

Avoid making eye contact with people in the locker room. Its creepy no matter how old you are or whether or not "we're all girls here", etc.

DO NOT take selfies in the locker room where people are trying to change.

Do not block the walking paths. Go do your Agility ladder/Jump roping/Walking lunges in a designated area.

Do not take long phone calls/chat with your friends while sitting on equipment. It's meant to be shared.

Wish i didnt even have to type these out...
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    ( I know I know, some people see this as negative, but remember, it's really for the best. Three years ago I didn't know what I was doing, but I still didn't break these rules)

So....new years came early in the gym today. Alrighty, I'm super happy that several people are taking the steps to be healthy this year! Go you! That being said, here are some simple guidelines of gym etiquette that you should follow, lest the regular gym goers will want to drop kick you in the face.
    #1. The Squat rack is for squats. DO NOT CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK. If you feel the need to use a full Olympic bar for your maximum, super awesome curls, there is a power rack right next to the squat rack. Or, you know, a curl bar...and dumbbells.....
    #2. Re-rack your F-ing weights. You were able to pick them up and put them on machine, you're certainly strong enough to put them back.
    #3.If you are unsure how to use a machine, GOOD NEWS, there's instructions right on the machine that show you exactly what muscles you're working out, and how to do it!
    #4. It's perfectly ok to ask if you can get a set in while someone is using a machine,(if you JUST CAN'T WAIT) we will usually say yes! But don't feel entitled enough to just jump on along side without asking...bro...it's rude.
    #5. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Sure, a lot of us look big, scary, and angry. That's just our game face. Most of us (especially gym employees) are more than happy to spot you, and give you advice when asked politely.
    #6. Don't stand inches in front of the free weights/mirror and do your set. Please take a few steps back so we can reach what we need.
    #7. It's perfectly ok to admire your physique you've worked so hard for, and to see if you're hitting your muscle groups right. But don't blatenly check yourself out, and lift your shirt up to admire your abs. That being said, if you're 130lb male, and you have abs...we really aren't that impressed.
    #8. Don't get caught staring at boobs and *kitten*.......
    #9. Speaking of boobs, it's awesome that you want to share this experience with your significant other, but don't get too touchy when correcting her "form". Also, if it's obvious she/he REALLY doesn't want to be there, don't ask them to be. They could be texting at home instead of on that bench everyone is eye-ing.
    #11. Please, please leave the weights in the weight section. Don't run off them, making us all wonder if the gym has gremlins.
    #12. Please don't hoard the dumbbells. Often, you can only lift two dumbbells at a time. If you have made a nest of 8 dumbbells, even if you super set, it is SUPER annoying to the other gym goers.

Hope this helps! Happy New Year. Go kick some *kitten*.