Foods that sound great but disappoint?

Options

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Another vote for oatmeal.
    Nutritious, cheap, easy to prepare, tastes like chewy slime.

Will catch some hate for this but... hamburgers.
    They're not bad but they're not great and much inferior to practically any other sort of fast food.

Also, fancy wine.
    The difference between bottom-of-the-barrel hobo's delight and moderately priced wine is huge, but the difference between a decent, moderately priced bottle and an aged one that costs a month's salary is barely noticeable.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    skirch01 wrote: »
    Oatmeal for me, too. I really wish I liked it, but I just don't, even the non-instant, steel-cut kind. And also yes to chia pudding - not horrible, but not something I'd choose to eat, I think. And I also try to like yogurt, at least Greek yogurt, but no. I think it is a texture thing. I do love frozen Greek yogurt, though! :)
    I haven't met a veggie or bean burger that I really like, either.
    I love oatmeal, but I usually make it with milk & various spices -- cinnamon, cloves, vanilla. Also with a peach (in season) or apple chopped up into it-- yummy.
    Never tried chia pudding, but I love greek yogurt-flavored, not plain. Plain I have to add some splenda & flavoring to it. Love the texture though, but didn't like frozen greek yogurt pops.
    Veggie burgers are fine, as long as someone isn't trying to convince me it tastes like a real burger -- NOT TRUE!!!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Brown rice. Ppl are like "oh if u just prepare it this way it's good." Nonsense. I have tried everything. It is cardboard. Gross.

This. Also every single Siggi's flavor I've tried. I was super sad about the orange ginger, too. Sounded great, tasted terrible.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    omg YES coffee shop/store bought pastries. They look good but then you bite in and you are like "I paid for this??? euw. soggy cardboard with sugar on. How do they manage to make BAD cinnamon buns? I'm a broke girl in a tiny apartment with a crappy undersized/unreliable oven and I STILL manage to make super delish bread products. Ones with half or less the calories of purchased.
  • watermelon899
    Options
    Papaya :s
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Store bought baked goods. Especially cakes and "cream" filled things. Seriously? The icing/filling is made entirely of whipped hydrogenated oil. I might as well eat a tub of margarine. It's just all kinds of wrong.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Fast food French Fries. I liked them so much as a kid, that I still expect them to taste amazing....but they don't
  • Kayra42
    Kayra42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Celery sticks, everyone says how great and healthy snack it is but it tastes so disgusting, I literally wasn't able to finish one stick, it's just terrible :s
  • MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, I keep trying to eat it but to me it is soo thick and bitter/sour.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    "So interesting! Flan can be delicious, but I guess I only know the French kind..."

Flan is Spanish, not French. The French version is Creme Brûlée. I have never seen a store-bought version of flan that I wouldn't throw in the trash, but I know a restaurant that makes one that is the best I've ever had. It is so rich and creamy that my husband and I split one.

I am so disenchanted with canned soups. They all taste like crap and are so salty to me. I have been making my own soups for years. and I can push flavor and cut down on fat and salt.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

I'd second that!! Ew!!

I don't like cooked oatmeal... but I love eating it like cold cereal with a little bit of sugar. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    latino food from any place that is not coastal or on the border.

most pancakes made by others.
    Most cakes and cupcakes.
    Goat.
    Sea Urchin gonads.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Mug Cake.
    132.gif
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I'd second that!! Ew!!

I don't like cooked oatmeal... but I love eating it like cold cereal with a little bit of sugar. :)

I'd agree until I had it in Brasil... now I know just how delicious it can be, but not in the US.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    i try once milk made of water of rice or something like that omg awfullllll and then switch to almond milk and i just can't ,iukkk dont know why i find the taste so horrible but just won't do it for me :s
  • Slateofamuse
    Slateofamuse Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    tofu, I've tried it almost every way under the sun but just can't seem to enjoy it
  • canadiangirl014
    canadiangirl014 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Store bought birthday cake.

Same, the icing is just nasty and usually the cake is dry and flavourless. A homemade cake or brownie with a little bit of real butter cream frosting is the way to go!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »

Try making oatmeal with half milk, half water and throw a dash of cinnamon in while its cooking - Smells like an oatmeal cookie. Then I put fruit (defrosted the night before), sunflower seeds, and flax as toppings. The secret is to the put the spices or flavorings in while it is cooking so it soaks into the oats.

I'm pretty sure that actual secret to oatmeal is tons of brown sugar. Nothing else has enough flavor to make it unbland.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    today i tried avocado; idk not tasty or yummy (bland) - like the texture which is it's only saving grace
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    CurvyToFit wrote: »

Try making oatmeal with half milk, half water and throw a dash of cinnamon in while its cooking - Smells like an oatmeal cookie. Then I put fruit (defrosted the night before), sunflower seeds, and flax as toppings. The secret is to the put the spices or flavorings in while it is cooking so it soaks into the oats.

I'm pretty sure that actual secret to oatmeal is tons of brown sugar. Nothing else has enough flavor to make it unbland.
    Salt.

I find a dash of salt brings out the flavor of the oatmeal and any toppings (even sugar) added.