Foods that sound great but disappoint?

Options

Replies

• HugeBum
    HugeBum Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    McDonalds (unless under the influence of alcohol!) is never anything other than a massive disappointment.
    Pizza Hut too. There is never enough toppings, and the garlic bread is soggy.
    Nutella. Everyone raves about it, and the idea of it is heavenly, but it's just overly sweet and bleughhh.
    Starbucks coffee tastes too synthetic.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tofu, I've tried it almost every way under the sun but just can't seem to enjoy it

There's a grilled hippy style of tofu that's just amazing. From some hippy enclave in Berkeley. If I can find the recipe, I'll post it up, it really is quite good to marinade the tofu in, then you grill it or bake it. Boom. So much good umami in it.
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Jicama! Yuck!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    today i tried avocado; idk not tasty or yummy (bland) - like the texture which is it's only saving grace

:p sorry that you didn't enjoy it that much! i just <3 avocado, i live in the Caribbean and we have avocado every single day of our life hahhahaa the even sell it at almost every traffic light intersection.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The holiday CoffeeMate peppermint mocha (sugar free). What mint? There was absolutely NO mint in it - just a lot of xylitol flavor. Eeesh. I usually love CM's sugar free line but that one was a definite no.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    CurvyToFit wrote: »

Try making oatmeal with half milk, half water and throw a dash of cinnamon in while its cooking - Smells like an oatmeal cookie. Then I put fruit (defrosted the night before), sunflower seeds, and flax as toppings. The secret is to the put the spices or flavorings in while it is cooking so it soaks into the oats.

I'm pretty sure that actual secret to oatmeal is tons of brown sugar. Nothing else has enough flavor to make it unbland.
    Salt.

I find a dash of salt brings out the flavor of the oatmeal and any toppings (even sugar) added.

I've tried that too. I've tried lots of stuff, but in the end, its always about the brown sugar.

My personal ones are peanut butter and tea. Both of them smell 1000x better than they taste. Not that either taste bad at all! But I don't like foods that trick me. Peanut butter smells sweeter than it is, so it lies. And all tea pretty much tastes like lightly flavoured water. I eat both (tea is never a problem since it's basically no calories), but PB, have to be in a super rush and super hungry to eat that.

I'm also meh about pizza, doughnuts, and pie.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    oatmeal for me too
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »
    "So interesting! Flan can be delicious, but I guess I only know the French kind..."

Flan is Spanish, not French. The French version is Creme Brûlée. I have never seen a store-bought version of flan that I wouldn't throw in the trash, but I know a restaurant that makes one that is the best I've ever had. It is so rich and creamy that my husband and I split one.

I am so disenchanted with canned soups. They all taste like crap and are so salty to me. I have been making my own soups for years. and I can push flavor and cut down on fat and salt.

Creme Caramel is the French version of flan. I hate creme caramel but I LOVE creme brulee. Two totally different textures/cooking methods (sort of...) but similar ingredients. I think I just dislike the gelatin texture of flan. Creme brulee is smooth, and is so much more versatile.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mug Cake.
    132.gif

LOL, I tend to agree. I do love "coffee cup muffins" (oatmeal, egg, fruit, bit of brown sugar) but the actual "baked goods" like mug cakes and cookies gross me out. They make me feel so desperate, like what has my life come to that I am mixing these tiny quantities of ingredients into a mug?! lol And the texture and flavor is usually really OFF! I'd rather just have a single serving from a bakery.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Another vote for oatmeal.
    Nutritious, cheap, easy to prepare, tastes like chewy slime.

Will catch some hate for this but... hamburgers.
    They're not bad but they're not great and much inferior to practically any other sort of fast food.

Also, fancy wine.
    The difference between bottom-of-the-barrel hobo's delight and moderately priced wine is huge, but the difference between a decent, moderately priced bottle and an aged one that costs a month's salary is barely noticeable.

Ohh I don't like burgers, either, they are just meh to me.

Avocado I can't do, either for the texture. Any flavored coffee creamer disappoints me. Tea tastes like dirty water and bananas are totally gross.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    tofu, I've tried it almost every way under the sun but just can't seem to enjoy it

This is so sad to me! I can just eat the stuff microwaved with some soy sauce! Crisp it up in the pan with some seasoning..mmmmmmmm... My 11 month old loves it too!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    allanakern wrote: »
    oatmeal for me too

Most of the items listed on this thread are my daily foods!! Oatmeal is just delicious! With some peanutbutter mixed in? yum yum!

• PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Anything from Jack in the Box.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »
    "So interesting! Flan can be delicious, but I guess I only know the French kind..."

Flan is Spanish, not French. The French version is Creme Brûlée. I have never seen a store-bought version of flan that I wouldn't throw in the trash, but I know a restaurant that makes one that is the best I've ever had. It is so rich and creamy that my husband and I split one.

I am so disenchanted with canned soups. They all taste like crap and are so salty to me. I have been making my own soups for years. and I can push flavor and cut down on fat and salt.

OMG yes on canned soup. YUCK.

The French flan I was talking about is this

flan-du-jour.jpg

One of the first thing I bought when I went back to France 3 years ago. It's so amazing.

I do like creme brulee too though (a restaurant here makes a creme brulee pie which is pretty much the best thing I've ever eaten). I don't think I've ever had the Spanich flan.

Mug Cake.
    132.gif

Lol. That was my reaction at the 1 2 3 mug cake thing. I was like... Seriously? People find it delicious? What's wrong with them?

Oh yeah, pizza hut. I went there a few months ago... Never again. The pizza was nasty and way too salty. Yuck.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    ^^now that flan looks good! Kind of more of a tart/pie? I'm imagining this kind of like a Portuguese custard tart..
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    skirch01 wrote: »
    Oh, and Golden Milk made with turmeric. I tried to make some the other night, yuck. I will have to find another way to use turmeric, I guess, since it is so good for you.

Ooo that sounds interesting! I'm gonna try it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I thought of another: cookie butter from TJ's. I was so underwhelmed.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Every year or so I am tempted by television ads for KFC. Every time I am disappointed by the reality of the food. It's been more than a year and the ads are starting to look good, again, but I haven't forgotten my disappointment, yet.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I feel so much better about hating McD's fries. I mean, I do like a McDouble once in a while (yeah, I like THOSE, but not the fries, go figure). But such disappointment--the fries smell fantastic, but the taste and saltiness (and the coating in my mouth)--no thanks. More for everyone else who likes them ;)

EDIT: Reminds me of comedian Jim Gaffigan's take on McDonald's (NSFW, but true and hilarious): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDTfEhChgw
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. As much as I want to like it, I just don't. And oatmeal.