January 2015 - No Alcohol Challenge!

Options
I very much enjoy having drinks with my friends on the weekends. As much as I don't want to believe it, I know that it is a big reason why I am having trouble with weight loss. I wanted to try going without any alcohol for the month of January to see how much it actually contributes. Does anyone want to do this challenge with me? We can check in with each other on Mondays (after getting through the tough part - the weekends).
Thanks,
CJ

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I fit my drinks into my calories. No thank you.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a drink in over three years. What's another month lol.
  • CJ8585
    CJ8585 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Laurend224, I tried fitting drinks into my calories but I easily get off track doing that so I need to try a different way for now.

Mycophilia, did you find that cutting out alcohol helped with weight loss?
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'll join you! I'm doing Whole30 but I really need to cut down on the alcohol.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'll join you. There is an initiative in Ireland at the moment called "on the dry"- the idea is to stay off alcohol for January and raise sponsorship for the Irish Heart Foundation. I signed up today. I find alcohol is a real waste of calories, and I eat more once I start drinking so its like a double dose of badness!
  • CJ8585
    CJ8585 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Awesome.. I'm glad you guys will join me. It will be hard for me but it will help knowing you guys are doing it too!

On the dry is a really good idea! We should have something like that around here.

Let me know how Whole30 works for you. Maybe that is something I should look into.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    already started, like to see how everyone does after a month. I'm in
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in on this.
  • jaily99
    Options
    Count me in...that was actually one of my resolutions starting 2015. I have gained 35+ lbs since July and realize that the drinking is all to blame..and agree I also eat more when I drink
  • jenieo
    jenieo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am in as well. It can't hurt, might help.. Looking forward to seeing how others do!!
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm staying alcohol free until April so I'm happy to support you and anyone else for January :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'd especially like hints on nice "treats" to replace the habitual ones...I am not particularly fond of the stereotypical ones like chocolate and other sweets, and have fallen into the habit of reaching for a glass of wine or craft beer while making dinner...I've been trying to replace that with herbal teas, but would like to switch it up more.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to the challenge but I'm in starting tomorrow. Can't deny that we had a glass of wine after work but I would love to do this. I eat too much when I drink alcohol
  • Penny5518
    Penny5518 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I decided to do this too. Alcohol is probably about 90% of the reason I have been stuck 15lbs above my goal weight for the last year. Hope it goes well for you!
  • ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I will join in with you also! I know going the whole year isn't possible for me, but I'd like to start the year off right and really cut back and cut it out for a month or two. I've been drinking way too much lately.
  • mariafh0709
    mariafh0709 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I will join in the challenge. I can't lose weight because alcohol adds calories. I think if I can give it up, it will give me a good chance of losing the last 30 lbs.
  • zgolub
    zgolub Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I know that with me, one drink leads to two, then three, then more food. So it spirals out of control. Lets try no Alcohol for a month!
  • brandi_cane
    brandi_cane Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'll join you!!! I was drinking 1.5l of wine friday...sat..sun. I'm done with empty calories! Let's do this!!#
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    We have dryathalon on the UK - no drinking for January and getting donations for Cancer Research. 2nd year of doing it, finding it slightly easier this year but could always do with the extra support. I'm in!
  • Cherie1n2n3n4
    Cherie1n2n3n4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm in.. I never use to drink, but when I discovered a passion for lime twist gin and crystal light (107 cals a drink.. Mostly from the 1.5 oz liquor) I found myself alotting 535 calories a day on the weekends. Since I'm trying to go strict ketogenic for a few weeks, maybe this challenge will keep me strong!