Let's be nice to the newbies

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    So long as they re-rack their weights, don't replace my 1RM squat with a curl setup while I'm in the bathroom and don't feel the need to inform me that I'm going to hurt myself because I deadlift, then we'll get along just fine.

Probably still won't talk to them until June though. Rite of passage and all that.
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's nothing personal against newbies in particular. It's just unbelievably crowded in classes for the month and it's sad to see so many people inevitably drop out so quickly. You hesitate to reach out to new people in January because the odds of them being around in February are so small.

Maybe if you did approach them and befriend them then they might decide to come back. Give them a reason to keep coming back, new health minded friends! That's one thing that kept me from quitting - new friends to help keep me accountable :)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Aemely wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I'll do my exercise at home without the judgment of others. I'm not on the market anyway.

what does that even mean?

like if you go to a gym you're some how on the market?

You know- honestly some of the most judgemental people I've ever seen are the ones who go "I'm afraid to do XXXX Because I'm going to get judged"

seriously.

If you want to go to the gym- go to the gym.

if you want to workout at home- workout at home.

neither of those things should be impacted by what other people think. You should have a goal- and work to the goal- damned if anyone else thinks otherwise.

In principal, I totally agree. But then I look at myself. Even when I was in my best shape (before I got injured last summer), I was too nervous to go to the weights section to lift. I KNEW inside that I shouldn't give a crap, but I couldn't get over it. It's why I made my own gym downstairs (that and the financial cost and location was appealing).

Sometimes a person's insecurities make it really hard to step out of their comfort zone. REALLY hard.

If you are one of those people, then I'd suggest looking into the idea of a personal trainer - even for a few sessions. They'll introduce you to the areas, teach you the basics, give you starter exercises, (and hopefully train you using the gym 'rules'). That way you won't feel nearly as naked as if you are going in there alone and cold.

Some of us really do struggle with feeling paralyzed by the thought that everyone is watching us. And some of us also know that yes, we are being noticed. Why? because it's natural for others to notice us.

That said.. just because you've been noticed - doesn't mean its in a bad way. There is a lot more empathy and a sense of solidarity in the gym than you realize... it's just really hard to see it sometimes.
  • NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    NC_Girl wrote: »
    So....say a newbie wanted to start....what time of year is relatively slow? I'm not ready to go yet and I am slightly embarrassed because (being a red head) I get real red. I look like I'm going to pass out. So, I would be more likely to stay if it wasn't insanely busy. Do you think March would be a better time to start? I'll have lost more weight by then and not feel so self-conscious.

No better time to start than right now.

There is nothing to be self-conscious about as we are all here for pretty much the same reason.

I am sure you have read the articles showing that those who do weight loss with friends for support fare better than those who try to go it alone.

Give MFP a try for 2 weeks, and then decide if you want to wait. It will take you about 2 weeks to get the hang of logging anyway - and then it gets a WHOLE lot easier.

Using MFP now....loving it and learning a lot! Newbie for weight lifting. Never done it before but reading all the positive impacts of it on this sight make me want to try.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    and don't forget to give each newbie a unicorn when they come in the front door....bahahahahaha sorry could not resist....JK ...kind of...
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Thankfully my gym has no contracts, so resolutioners don't have financial incentive to keep coming after they've already given up inside. This was my gym come Jan 5, after 4 days of being heaving:

1010473_10151836581516010_1390582859_n.jpg?oh=f363e973d2e9a4c06a48e6de9ebe3904&oe=55327CF5&__gda__=1429536195_fdfab822316daf33ccbe3e88b275592c
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    all righty, popcorn anyone?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Nice gym man.
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    It would never even dawn on me to be mean to someone at the gym. Like, why? I don't get it.

Thankfully, I workout with a great community.
    This, again!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    So....say a newbie wanted to start....what time of year is relatively slow? I'm not ready to go yet and I am slightly embarrassed because (being a red head) I get real red. I look like I'm going to pass out. So, I would be more likely to stay if it wasn't insanely busy. Do you think March would be a better time to start? I'll have lost more weight by then and not feel so self-conscious.

Go anytime you want. I have different color hair and skin than you, but I also get really red sometimes. Mainly in the summer when I'm doing an intense cardio workout. One time a new lady came up to me in the middle of my workout and exclaimed, "Oh, my, your face it SO red!". Well, it's 90+ degrees outside, not much cooler in here and I'm in the middle of a workout, so your point is???!!! Highly annoying, but I knew that I was working hard, like I was there to do and she was wandering around watching people.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Isn't it something that a post has to be created to remind human being to be nice to other human being!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Low peak hours- Later at night- or early in the morning- weekends in the afternoon are low pressure times.

It happens- everyone does funny things at the gym- I fart when i'm doing the sled press.

And when I bench.

And I dance like a mad woman between sets- I'm so going to wind up on youtube as "that guy".... whatever.

But there are definitely low stress times where there are a lot less other people- early morning- mid day- 1-3 time frame- then like 7/8 PM to 11. weekends later (when most people go out)... all good times to go to the gym.
  • StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    laurajo521 wrote: »
    I had trouble with my legs when I was little and kids made fun of me in gym class. I am still not 100% OK with group fitness because of it. I let myself get fat because I was terrified of being athletic in front of other people. Just work on yourself and don't worry about others. Just like yesterday I was trying BodyPump for the first time (it's awesome) and some girl came in mid-way who was trying to be helpful but it ended up just making me anxious. You never know what other people are going through, but we should all be supportive of anyone who wants to get to their fitness goals. Now, that girl who sits on the crunch machine and texts? Everyone can be mean to her! ;)

Aww. :( I had ankle problems that prevented me from participating in P.E. so I'd just sit off and read. By the end of the year, half the class had some "problem" and P.E. became a club. :P don't let little snots get you down! You were totally cool in 90s Florida.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I think most of the "gym people are a-hole" syndrome comes from people not knowing proper etiquette and then maybe being told in a not so nice way that they are violating it..
    Yup.

There was a lot of stuff about how rock climbers and gym climbers are a-holes, nope. Just intimately acquainted with gravity, how soft and squishy we are, and how easy it is to make a stupid mistake that shatters something. They aren't going to hold your hand, stroke your hair and tell you how special you are. They're going to tell you to correct your ----. Niceties come after mistakes are corrected.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'd say also given how often someone cries "unsupportive" or 'bullying' because people disagree- that their sense of persception about what someone being an "*kitten*" really means.

• stumblinthrulife
    Options
    I'd say also given how often someone cries "unsupportive" or 'bullying' because people disagree- that their sense of persception about what someone being an "*kitten*" really means.

Agreed. Though I can see their side. I'm quite a self-conscious person, and when you are self-conscious it is easy to be absolutely convinced that everyone is staring at you and judging you. Thankfully over the years I've also developed a good degree of self-awareness and I can silence that treacherous voice in my head that says everyone is laughing.

It can take a while to learn that in reality, no one really gives a darn what you are doing.
  • scruff_farrier
    scruff_farrier Posts: 47 Member
    Options

When you get a job in the oil field, your view of a-holes definitely does change, haha.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Agreed. Though I can see their side. I'm quite a self-conscious person, and when you are self-conscious it is easy to be absolutely convinced that everyone is staring at you and judging you. Thankfully over the years I've also developed a good degree of self-awareness and I can silence that treacherous voice in my head that says everyone is laughing.

It can take a while to learn that in reality, no one really gives a darn what you are doing.

I am looking at you and judging you.

So what. Did that change a single thing in your life? No.
  • JoRocka
    Options

When you get a job in the oil field, your view of a-holes definitely does change, haha.

military school + 5 years in construction. I take nothing seriously- and I have a pretty small range of what constitutes "a##hole" and it most certainly isn't someone that just doesn't agree with me LOL...

but then I think as DB does...

so what.

A big fat- so what.
  • stumblinthrulife
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I am looking at you and judging you.

So what. Did that change a single thing in your life? No.

You are right, no denying it. Sticks and stones, and all that. However, a little empathy would go a long way in this discussion.

The point is that highly self-conscious people struggle with social phobia and fear of public humiliation every day. There's nothing rational about it, just as there is nothing rational about any other phobia that thousands of people have. However it is real, and just smugly telling people that the judgement of others has no impact on them never helped any one get over it.