Foods that sound great but disappoint?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »
    "So interesting! Flan can be delicious, but I guess I only know the French kind..."

Flan is Spanish, not French. The French version is Creme Brûlée. I have never seen a store-bought version of flan that I wouldn't throw in the trash, but I know a restaurant that makes one that is the best I've ever had. It is so rich and creamy that my husband and I split one.

I am so disenchanted with canned soups. They all taste like crap and are so salty to me. I have been making my own soups for years. and I can push flavor and cut down on fat and salt.

Creme Caramel is the French version of flan. I hate creme caramel but I LOVE creme brulee. Two totally different textures/cooking methods (sort of...) but similar ingredients. I think I just dislike the gelatin texture of flan. Creme brulee is smooth, and is so much more versatile.
    Correct. Two different creatures and textures.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    "So interesting! Flan can be delicious, but I guess I only know the French kind..."

Flan is Spanish, not French. The French version is Creme Brûlée. I have never seen a store-bought version of flan that I wouldn't throw in the trash, but I know a restaurant that makes one that is the best I've ever had. It is so rich and creamy that my husband and I split one.

I am so disenchanted with canned soups. They all taste like crap and are so salty to me. I have been making my own soups for years. and I can push flavor and cut down on fat and salt.

OMG yes on canned soup. YUCK.

The French flan I was talking about is this

flan-du-jour.jpg

One of the first thing I bought when I went back to France 3 years ago. It's so amazing.

I do like creme brulee too though (a restaurant here makes a creme brulee pie which is pretty much the best thing I've ever eaten). I don't think I've ever had the Spanich flan.

OdesAngel wrote: »
    Mug Cake.
    132.gif

Lol. That was my reaction at the 1 2 3 mug cake thing. I was like... Seriously? People find it delicious? What's wrong with them?

Oh yeah, pizza hut. I went there a few months ago... Never again. The pizza was nasty and way too salty. Yuck.

That's not flan. That is a nice looking egg custard though.
  • apples_and_bananas
    Options
    Greek yogurt. I've tried so hard to like it, but i can't handle the tanginess for some reason. I also can't bring myself to enjoy cottage cheese - I know it's a good source of protein and I want to like it, but the texture kills me every time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

OMG yes on canned soup. YUCK.

The French flan I was talking about is this

flan-du-jour.jpg

One of the first thing I bought when I went back to France 3 years ago. It's so amazing.

I do like creme brulee too though (a restaurant here makes a creme brulee pie which is pretty much the best thing I've ever eaten). I don't think I've ever had the Spanich flan.

OdesAngel wrote: »
    Mug Cake.
    132.gif

Lol. That was my reaction at the 1 2 3 mug cake thing. I was like... Seriously? People find it delicious? What's wrong with them?

Oh yeah, pizza hut. I went there a few months ago... Never again. The pizza was nasty and way too salty. Yuck.

That's not flan. That is a nice looking egg custard though.

Well it's what it's called in French...
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. I can tolerate it but it always reminds me of the oatmeal I was fed as a kid. It was super cheap and poorly filtered, I guess. It had those little shell chunks (or whatever they were) resembling clipped toenails. It was also slimy. I gag every time I think about it. I know that today the oatmeal improved greatly, and my husband even got me to try some. It's OK, but I just don't think I'll ever really, really enjoy it.
    I'm not a picky eater, and I love a lot of "gross" foods, like liver and such.
    As for a disappointments, I agree with many people here about eating out.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I actually LOVED oatmeal as a kid. It was a treat. I don't know if it was a different kind of oatmeal or if it was cooked differently or if my taste has just changed a lot, but it's just not the same at all anymore. I've tried rolled oats, steel cut oats, old fashioned oats, quick oats, Irish style oats... just nope. But I guess it was in France so who knows what kind of oats there was there at the time.
  • AddieCakes
    AddieCakes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Cilantro...tastes like soap! Oh, and whole wheat pasta, I just can't get over the texture. Blech!
  • maceyanglin
    maceyanglin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Creme brulee. Sounds delicious but tastes all too eggy.

you did not taste the real creme brulee then... It is amaze balls when prepared correctly
  • maceyanglin
    maceyanglin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    cauliflower mash ewww... PB2 as well not a fan at all
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, whole grain pasta, quinoa, expensive wine, blue cheese. All just awful, not half as good as people say.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    added- eating out isnt as fun for me since losing weight, alot of it is just super greasy and salty.
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Artificial Orange flavoring.
    Blue/Gorgonzola Cheese - Both issues come from the meds I had to take while really sick as a kid - Penicillin and an orange flavored syrup.

I do wonder if any of the people who hate oatmeal have tried a savory preparation. Steel cut with butter, pepper and Parmesan, or an Asian influence is a totally different thing.
    And I don't eat papaya outside of Hawaii- tastes COMPLETELY different there. The stuff on the mainland is hideous, reminds me of pine sap.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Celery - never liked it, never will. It tastes like dirty water and the texture is gross. I've tried it with hummus, peanut butter, everything...
  • Francl27
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »
    Celery - never liked it, never will. It tastes like dirty water and the texture is gross. I've tried it with hummus, peanut butter, everything...

One of the few foods I can't stand, but I've always hated it so I can't say it looks great to me, lol. I'm just utterly disappointed when I buy some chicken salad or coleslaw and there's some in it, because it totally ruins the dish for me. So now I never order those anymore (or tuna, or shrimp, or egg lol).
  • phungpat
    Options
    lakhena wrote: »
    Dragon fruit. It looks cool and is supposedly good for you... But bleh. It tastes like mushy cardboard.

Totally agree! My wife is originally from Vietnam and made me try it the first time we went to visit her parents. It looks really cool but it doesn't have any taste. Super disappointing. :)
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    AddieCakes wrote: »
    Cilantro...tastes like soap! Oh, and whole wheat pasta, I just can't get over the texture. Blech!

This is actually a genetic difference like smelling asparagus pee. I love Cilantro and my son says it tastes like soap. He can smell asparagus pee and I can't.

So in that vein, it's not weird that there are so many diverse reactions to oatmeal. - Which I will eat all winter

2/3 cup water
    2/3 cup whole milk
    2/3 cup quick cooking oats
    dash salt

Cook until it looks like old men's mouths (I don't know blame my father, it has something to do with the way the bubbles look when they pop)

You can also add to the cooking;

Raisins, cinnamon, dried apple

I like mine with a splash of heavy cream and lyles golden syrup. And perhaps some dried blueberries or walnuts.

A good creme brulee is heaven in a shallow bowl. I had a beautiful one in Michael Smith's restaurant in Halifax years ago. Served with fruit compotes on the side.

Also I was at a restaurant once and the "chef" tried to convince me it was supposed to be "runny". No, no it isn't.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I know this is a very unpopular opinion, but gelato. I love ice cream and frozen custard, and I've tried everything from fresh-made in gelato shops to Talenti and other brands, but I feel like I am just not getting the big appeal. To me it's like slightly icy ice cream that leaves an unpleasant film in my mouth.

I do understand that if I ever go to Italy and have gelato there I might totally come around to it, though.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Is there any food you've been really looking forward to eat but end up being disappointing?

For me, oatmeal. I keep thinking of toppings and ways to make it good, or trying new kinds of oatmeal, and it sounds so good... and ends up tasting like cardboard (Trader Joe's pumpkin pecan oatmeal is ok though).

And Greek yogurt with protein powder. Tried it after people said it tasted like chocolate pudding. Clearly those people have never had good chocolate pudding.

The only Greek yogurt I've found that does it for me is plain old vanilla. Although I have to give a shout out to Healthy Choice fudge swirl frozen Greek yogurt. I at some last night. It didn't taste like ice cream but I wasn't missing ice cream while I ate it either. Greek yogurt and pudding are close to the same consistency... but they don't taste alike to me. People just have some weird taste buds.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat McD's fries i always ordered them without the salt then put a little bit on them myself. They have to make a new fresh batch up for you. So you get them hot and not over salty :)
  • Francl27
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Th3Ph03n1x wrote: »
    Is there any food you've been really looking forward to eat but end up being disappointing?

For me, oatmeal. I keep thinking of toppings and ways to make it good, or trying new kinds of oatmeal, and it sounds so good... and ends up tasting like cardboard (Trader Joe's pumpkin pecan oatmeal is ok though).

And Greek yogurt with protein powder. Tried it after people said it tasted like chocolate pudding. Clearly those people have never had good chocolate pudding.

The only Greek yogurt I've found that does it for me is plain old vanilla. Although I have to give a shout out to Healthy Choice fudge swirl frozen Greek yogurt. I at some last night. It didn't taste like ice cream but I wasn't missing ice cream while I ate it either. Greek yogurt and pudding are close to the same consistency... but they don't taste alike to me. People just have some weird taste buds.

I really like the Healthy Choice frozen Greek yogurt honestly. Heck I bought some raspberry one today. It actually satisfies me for 100 calories most days!