tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
  • Zwible
    Zwible Posts: 57
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    LutzMol wrote: »
    so a simple calorie surplus combined with training will get me my "lean" gains?
    Wow, didn't know that :)

Yes. It will. Whether you gain muscle and minimal fat, or muscle and more fat, is a matter of calorie surplus, not macro ratio.

considering a gram of fat has more than double the amount of calories compared to a gram of carbohydrates, it might be a good idea to keep an eye on those carbs...
  • tigersword
    Options
    so a simple calorie surplus combined with training will get me my "lean" gains?
    Wow, didn't know that :)

Yes. It will. Whether you gain muscle and minimal fat, or muscle and more fat, is a matter of calorie surplus, not macro ratio.

Exactly, and considering a gram of fat has more than double the amount of calories compared to a gram of carbohydrates, it might be a good idea to keep an eye on those carbs...

How does that even make sense? Since fat has more calories, wouldn't it be more efficient to watch the fat in order to better control surplus? You're contradicting yourself.
  • Zwible
    Zwible Posts: 57
    Options
    ...sorry guys, I take everything back...I'm clearly not thinking straight.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ed_hooters wrote: »
    Lift heavy weights and do compounds exercise instead of isolation movement and do 30 sec. Work 30 sec. Rest and change your exercise every month so that your muscle will not get to use to the same exercise you do in this way your muscle will be confuse.and eat alot of protien.. eg. Lean beef, chicken, fish and vegtable. TRAIN HARD BABY

Compound movements: Yes.

30 second work/rest: No, usually. For isolation exercises, you can probably get away with this. If you're moving heavy weights with compound exercises, then you rest as much as you need - typically (but not always) 1-2 minutes.

Change exercise every month: No. You need to progress. You will not progress very well if you keep changing what you're doing.

A lot of protein: a lot of carbs is better for bulking.

Train hard: Yes, but train smart.

• tigersword
    Options
    Easiest example as to why it's better to eat higher carbs while bulking. Glycogen. You use glycogen while lifting weights (intense activity.) If you eat too low carb, your body cannibalizes the protein you eat to convert it to glycogen instead of using it to build Up the muscle, minimizing potential gains. Also, carbs will stimulate higher insulin levels than protein alone, which will in turn stimulate more IGF-1 and HGH release, also leading to more muscle gains.
  • tigersword
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Oh man, what happened in this thread. Fat marbled muscle gains, muscle confusion and tons of protein, yikes.

I'll take a little muscle building broscience this morning. It's a refreshing change from the "sugar herr durr" of the last few days.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ...sorry guys, I take everything back...I'm clearly not thinking straight.

Come back after coffee
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Oh man, what happened in this thread. Fat marbled muscle gains, muscle confusion and tons of protein, yikes.

I'll take a little muscle building broscience this morning. It's a refreshing change from the "sugar herr durr" of the last few days.

yea, the sugar thing is just getting bad …

• ndj1979
    Options
    I see OP never came back to clarify ...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ed_hooters wrote: »
    Lift heavy weights and do compounds exercise instead of isolation movement and do 30 sec. Work 30 sec. Rest and change your exercise every month so that your muscle will not get to use to the same exercise you do in this way your muscle will be confuse.and eat alot of protien.. eg. Lean beef, chicken, fish and vegtable. TRAIN HARD BABY

You should not be changing your exercise every month - just keep adding weight - progressive overload - that's what you need to stimulate hypertrophy. You do not confuse your muscles. Also, why would you not include iso work if you are looking for hypertrophy. Yes, base your routine around the 'big compounds' - but then add assistance work to supplement (whether they are secondary compounds or iso).

Also, you do not need to limit your rest times to 30 secs and I would very much advise against it, particularly when doing heavy compounds.

When bulking, protein is less important (still important, just less so than when cutting) - carbs are actually more important.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Maybe he changed his mind when no one mentioned cardio?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    MrGoonT wrote: »
    I'm looking for tips on gaining lean muscle. Nutrition,Weights,Cardio you know the stuff haha

Hire a coach or a trainer.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm looking for tips on gaining lean muscle. Nutrition,Weights,Cardio you know the stuff haha

not necessary
  • ndj1979
    Options

Maybe he changed his mind when no one mentioned cardio?

maybe he is trying to figure out what "lean muscle" is….
  • Tedebearduff
    Options

not necessary

He obviously not willing to do any research on his own and wants to be handed a program so in his case I would say it is necessary. If you want to do that for him for free then go ahead.
  • ndj1979
    Options

not necessary

He obviously not willing to do any research on his own and wants to be handed a program so in his case I would say it is necessary. If you want to do that for him for free then go ahead.

eat in a half pound per week surplus
    set macros to about 35 carbs/35 protein/30 fats
    get on structured heavy lifting program that has progressive overload built into it

done.

why pay someone to do that for you?

• Tedebearduff
    Options

not necessary

eat in a half pound per week surplus
    set macros to about 35 carbs/35 protein/30 fats
    get on structured heavy lifting program that has progressive overload built into it

done.

why pay someone to do that for you?

Due to the generalization of his initial post my assumption is that he knows nothing and what you just said will make 0 sense. If your going to help him help him give him a program boss. Explain everything to him... do your job man!! ;) don't half *kitten* it!!! :wink:
  • pbright2880
    pbright2880 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This just confuses me more.... I try to get into lifting weights to build more muscle... the more research I do the more confused and overwhelmed I become. I can't afford a personal trainer to teach me and I feel embarrassed even trying at the gym. I have weights at home but get so bored with daily squats and lunges. If you all thought back to when you started training what helped you the most in the beginning book/magazine/website/advice.