Is this rude, or am I just exaggerating the issue

Options
magsmichelle
magsmichelle Posts: 34 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been going to the gym for about 3-4 months now. I have worked my way up to being able to jog for 3 1/2 miles. Today i was on my way to a new achievement of 4 miles.
The gym was NOT busy. There were open treadmills so you didn't have to get on one right beside someone else.
I was at 3.45 when this lady gets on one right beside me. No big deal. However, when she removed her jacket..i got a big strong wiff of cigarettes smoke. It was strong, and me being sensitive to that smell, couldn't really continue on that machine. I had to stop. Which then just ruined the rest of the workout, because it was really hard for me to finish the run on a new machine strong.
I think if you smoke, and there are open machines, you should out of respect not get one right beside someone else if you don't have to. Out of respect for others considering not everyone can tolerate that smell. I know most smokers do not realize they carry a smell, but trust me you do.
That is my rant for the day, and yeah i am probably overreacting..but as an asthmatic who has pretty much got her asthma completely under control except for scent triggers, and one of them is that particular smell it just annoyed me. She didn't have to get on the one right beside me. The one i got on, after i stopped, was on two down from me and there was no one on either side of it.

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    If possible, follow the men's pee stall rule or the toilet stall rule.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't understand people who have to workout right beside someone when there are a plethora of other machines available. No it's not overreacting to me, but then again, I'm someone who really values personal space.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    it's annoying whether they smell or not. And yes smokers reek, no matter how careful they are. I can always tell if my father in law has been in my home, I hate it and he is no longer allowed on upholstered furniture, kitchen chairs for him. I can't stand the smell.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Totally a pet-peeve of mine. Drives me insane to be that close to someone if I dont have to be.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    It annoys me when some weirdo gets on the machine next to you when there are half a dozen free ones available.

So, no. Not overreacting.

My BF and I are always saying this. Why do people choose to park, walk, pee, exercise, etc. right next to someone when there is room to spread out. I will go out of my way, if the space is available, to avoid being close to people or things I'm not related too. lol

You aren't overreacting in my book.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    This actually happened to me at a conference, except with seats. There must have been 500 empty seats in the auditorium and a string of a dozen right next to me. So a lady sits down right beside me. I was flabbergasted. I never thought much about "rules" as far as personal space is concerned, but I really was taken aback that she took up the seat directly beside me when there were clearly other places to sit.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    This actually happened to me at a conference, except with seats. There must have been 500 empty seats in the auditorium and a string of a dozen right next to me. So a lady sits down right beside me. I was flabbergasted. I never thought much about "rules" as far as personal space is concerned, but I really was taken aback that she took up the seat directly beside me when there were clearly other places to sit.

I've had this happen also in a Dr waiting room.....people are freaking weird.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Social etiquette dictates that any time there is a multiple available situation, you do not crowd next to someone else. Same rules for restroom stalls, open sinks in the restroom, urinals, movie theater seats, seat yourself restaurants (chipotle, panera) and so forth. In my experience, people who ignore these standards are either oblivious or trying to hit on you.

Since this is merely etiquette and not a rule and any gym I know, you should have switched machines if anything about her made you uncomfortable. That it "ruined" the rest of your workout is the only bit where you're being a bit dramatic. You could have switched machines.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Social etiquette dictates that any time there is a multiple available situation, you do not crowd next to someone else. Same rules for restroom stalls, open sinks in the restroom, urinals, movie theater seats, seat yourself restaurants (chipotle, panera) and so forth. In my experience, people who ignore these standards are either oblivious or trying to hit on you.

Since this is merely etiquette and not a rule and any gym I know, you should have switched machines if anything about her made you uncomfortable. That it "ruined" the rest of your workout is the only bit where you're being a bit dramatic. You could have switched machines.

She did. I think her asthma kicked in though due to the smell so she couldn't continue.

• chodde
    chodde Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't think you are overreacting, because you did not tell this person where to go... However, a few possible thoughts from the other person's perspective. Ever heard the phrase "my *kitten* don't stink" it simply means if you are always around your smell, you don't realize it (or how bad it is). Not very considerate, but some people just don't have that level of self awareness.

Another thought is that possibly that is the treadmill the person runs on every day. I know in my old gym, when you found a treadmill that didn't slip or stop suddenly on you, you used it and never changed (took me 5 treadmills one day before I could effectively run my 5 miles). I don't have that problem in my new gym but then again all 25 are filled up too.

Still I hear ya, nothing worse than choking on that smell!
  • spicy618
    Options
    Any psychologist or those who analyze people please explain why, why, why do some people do this crap? Is it a mental thing? lol!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    My son is an asthmatic and I know his triggers all too well. For him he would have been a wheezy mess! So I get you.

I try not to get right next to someone if I don't have to.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Eh, on the whole, I think you're probably not overreacting.

That said, did that person simply grab the nearest treadmill? Or, for that matter, the treadmill the furthest away, so that she got a few more steps in? Maybe, for whatever reason, she likes that particular treadmill? My point is that maybe there's a particular reason she chose that treadmill - you just happened to be next to it.
  • spicy618
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Eh, on the whole, I think you're probably not overreacting.

That said, did that person simply grab the nearest treadmill? Or, for that matter, the treadmill the furthest away, so that she got a few more steps in? Maybe, for whatever reason, she likes that particular treadmill? My point is that maybe there's a particular reason she chose that treadmill - you just happened to be next to it.

Good point. Didn't think of this.
  • Jennloella
    Options

OP was in the zone and mentioned having to stop, move belongings, settle in and fire up a new machine would not be the same. I get it. I also get nauseated at the smell so I would have checked out too
  • Sylvarose
    Sylvarose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know before our local Y got wifi available for members (so I could watch netflix while on the treadmill off my iphone) I would tend to use the same two treadmills because they were the ones located in front of the TV on the only channel I could stand watching.
  • TheBattleAxe
    TheBattleAxe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    amazes me that people still smoke, surely everybody knows how bad it is for you. Don't you also think it's a bit old fashioned? Also what's the point in running to get fit and healthy whilst you're still a smoker, defies logic.
    As for choosing the machine right next to you when there is plenty of others, maybe you looked like you were running a similar speed to her and she wanted a pace to follow?
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I get it but when you are in a public place you don't have a right to extra space.

I wouldn't want to be right next to someone regardless of whether they smoked but I don't have a right to tell someone they should move or to even expect them to. Just like my bus commute to work everyday. I love having the seat next to me open but can't deny the seat to anyone who wants it.

I have a home gym but also have a gym membership I haven't used in a while. I love working out at home so I don't have to worry about anyone else's germs or sweat or smells! When I did go regularly, there were definitely certain machines that were better than others. If the choice was to use a crappy machine or workout next to someone, I will choose the latter. Nothing worse than a clunky, squeaky machine when you're trying to workout.

Again, I get that you're annoyed and I would have been, too. I guess I'm a little bold because I mostly likely would have told him/her that they smelled of cigarettes, just in case they didn't realize. Call it obnoxious but I would have wanted to annoy him/her in the same way I was annoyed.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Can't wait until I'm old and don't care enough to not say exactly what's on my mind aloud ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Here's what you do. Next time ol' smokey hops on right next to you...

Yell out, NITRO BOOST!
    Then let it rip.

She'll move.