Is this rude, or am I just exaggerating the issue

Options

Replies

• Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Here's what you do. Next time ol' smokey hops on right next to you...

Yell out, NITRO BOOST!
    Then let it rip.

She'll move.

lmaoooooooooo I nearly choked on my water
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Ya its weird when they creep on you. When other machines are available but most smokers can't smell themselves because they're used to it so they probably don't realize...I don't like the smell either :s . idk how you would address that though lol...then again I'm pretty passive to an extent
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Lauren8239 wrote: »

Yell out, NITRO BOOST!
    Then let it rip.

She'll move.

or.........she may think it's a competition and let loose her own nitro boost lmao

Ya but she'll be winded in seconds lol
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    Jennloella wrote: »
    it's annoying whether they smell or not. And yes smokers reek, no matter how careful they are. I can always tell if my father in law has been in my home, I hate it and he is no longer allowed on upholstered furniture, kitchen chairs for him. I can't stand the smell.

Wow... I don't like the smell either, but I would just Febreze my chairs after. Seems really rude to your F-I-L.

nah it's rude to make my furniture stink, my babies don't need to inhale the residual stink either. I hate febreeze. don't smoke before you come over, change your shirt, wash your hands, no smoking in my home or in my yard. those are the rules! I totally have a right to control the quality of air in my home......

Agree, gross.
  • cmasongreen
    cmasongreen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    jc93230 wrote: »
    Buy two more memberships! that way you can keep the equipment on either side of you clear!

All of this comment.

Put the cards that you get (or whatever your gym gives you) on the treadmills next to you. Then give her the whole, "HEY! MY FRIEND IS USING THAT!" Because that way, when no one shows up, she will think that you are crazy.

Ones she establishes that, you can cancel your extra memberships, because she won't want to be next to you.

Excellent.

But in all seriousness, that has happened to me and it drives me insane.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Different cultures, different standards of personal space. I hear Canadians demand the most. Figures.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Smoker-stink is one of my biggest pet peeves. I cannot stand that awful smell, plus I have chest problems and it makes me cough. Anytime I have to be in a smoker's environment, I go for a shower and wash my clothes the instant I get home. So, I don't think you're overreacting at all. I'm a shy, unconfident person and probably would've have the courage to say anything but I would've also moved to another machine. I agree that the men's urinal rule should apply to many other places too!
  • Skyruliansocks
    Options
    There are always those unwritten rules of life that most people seem to follow, like not sitting next to someone on the bus when there are empty 2 person seats available, holding in a fart in a crowded place or saying "Sorry!" when someone walks into you.

I had a similar experience at the gym today. I was getting changed in the locker room and these 2 girls who'd arrived together (I assumed they were friends) started getting changed right next me, so close that I had to be careful not to accidentally hit one of them as I was getting dressed. I would have asked them to move over a little bit but they weren't English. I wouldn't mind if the locker room was busy, but it was only us 3 in there and it's huge inside!

As for smokers, my stepdad smokes. His coat reeks of cigarettes but because he's been smoking so long he can't smell it any more. Maybe that's what happened with the person who put you off the treadmill? Might be a genuine ignorance to it.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    That would annoy me to no end. My husband and I have never smoked so that awful smell really bothers us.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    it's not just at the gym. have you ever noticed that when the parking lot is completely empty, someone will park RIGHT NEXT TO YOU in the space right by you??? I HATE THAT!

OMG! I had that happen to me, and I was parked on the top of a four story garage! There might have been two other cars up there, and the ramps leading up to and down from that level were pretty empty, too. I even parked a fair bit away from the doors, so it wasn't even like they did it to be close to the doors (like how most lots fill up). I did it specifically so people wouldn't park right next to me and they still did it! *facepalm*
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If possible, follow the men's pee stall rule or the toilet stall rule.

i second the notion! LOL.....i never jump on a machine next to someone else....unless there are no other machines available......this is also why i avoid prime times (5-6 p.m. lol).....too crowded.

My guess, is she likely didn't know how bad her jacket reaked of smoke......i know my stepdad was this way when he smoked.....he could not SMELL The smoke but we could......so we would have to tell him to go wash his jackets....
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Yell out, NITRO BOOST!
    Then let it rip.

She'll move.

LOL!

I do understand about the smell, but perhaps she was wanting to strike up a conversation. She might had felt uneasy about being in a gym and maybe wanted to make small talk to ease her fears or make the time go faster. I typically give people the benefit of the doubt.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you paid for the right to use one machine. they paid for the right to use one machine. you don't get to dictate which machine they exercise that right upon. they can't use yours.....and that's it. everything else is fair game. you don't get to get the screen showing Wheel of Fortune and force everyone else to other side of the room to watch CNBC while they whittle away an hour on a deathmill.

feel free to run outside if you want to be alone
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Well I like a particular treadmill I run on. The ipod charger works and it is in front of CNN while I run. This morning someone was on the treadmill next to mine and when I got on he got off 5 minutes later. Another woman was working out on the other side. Oh well. I guess he didnt want to be wedged between two beautiful women. I dont smoke and I didnt think I smelled......
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Besides, the best view isn't next to the person, it's the cardio machine right behind that person.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I personally would avoid using a machine next to someone if another one was open. As a smoker and an adult it is my decision to smoke, just like some people choose to overload on spray and that God awful Axe stuff. I'm not oblivious to the fact I smell like a smoker, but it's my choice, so in public I could really give two *kitten* whether someone is bothered or not. I've quit every time I was pregnant and nursing but I always start back up because I want to. I know all the risks and have seen the negative effects of smoking due to the complications my grandfather had from being a life long smoker. I worked in the healthcare field for eight years and I've done my research. It's something that I enjoy and when I stop enjoying it I'll quit. I'm not one to get in someone's personal space anyway if I don't have to. I choose not to smoke in my house and I also am respectful of other's rules on smoking. I don't smoke in public places unless it is a designated zone. Not all smokers are horrible people, they just smell like smokers, which obviously offends tons of people on here. I hate the smell of alcohol and beer and I choose not to drink anymore but I don't chastise anyone who smells like it. God forbid an adult makes their own decisions that doesn't agree with everyone.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :o wait what!?? i just really?? smoking while on the gym plus using a machine? oh god i must sound so silly but i have ever ever seeing that and i didn't think that was possible, i don't know i would be so upset and in shock i suppose although i live outside the U.S so i'll assume that it's consider quite normal there.

ps: to the OP above :( of course everyone should respect other people choices BUT my grandma die of lung cancer, she smoke her whole life and when she got to her 50 or 60 she quit.. 15 years later ---) lung cancer, love her and miss her like hell but boy that was a selfish adult decision she did
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    :o wait what!?? i just really?? smoking while on the gym plus using a machine? oh god i must sound so silly but i have ever ever seeing that and i didn't think that was possible, i don't know i would be so upset and in shock i suppose although i live outside the U.S so i'll assume that it's consider quite normal there.

ps: to the OP above :( of course everyone should respect other people choices BUT my grandma die of lung cancer, she smoke her whole life and when she got to her 50 or 60 she quit.. 15 years later ---) lung cancer, love her and miss her like hell but boy that was a selfish adult decision she did

Reading is funde.....Oh never mind.

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    karyabc wrote: »

Reading is funde.....Oh never mind.

hi! can you explain your post? i didn't get it, english it's not my primary lenguage and basically everything i know was learn from watching friends/everybody loves Raymond, so i miss a lot of fun post because of it
  • magsmichelle
    magsmichelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I personally would avoid using a machine next to someone if another one was open. As a smoker and an adult it is my decision to smoke, just like some people choose to overload on spray and that God awful Axe stuff. I'm not oblivious to the fact I smell like a smoker, but it's my choice, so in public I could really give two *kitten* whether someone is bothered or not. I've quit every time I was pregnant and nursing but I always start back up because I want to. I know all the risks and have seen the negative effects of smoking due to the complications my grandfather had from being a life long smoker. I worked in the healthcare field for eight years and I've done my research. It's something that I enjoy and when I stop enjoying it I'll quit. I'm not one to get in someone's personal space anyway if I don't have to. I choose not to smoke in my house and I also am respectful of other's rules on smoking. I don't smoke in public places unless it is a designated zone. Not all smokers are horrible people, they just smell like smokers, which obviously offends tons of people on here. I hate the smell of alcohol and beer and I choose not to drink anymore but I don't chastise anyone who smells like it. God forbid an adult makes their own decisions that doesn't agree with everyone.

Does the smell of alcohol and beer affect your breathing? can you die because your lungs closed up due to the smell?
    Not everyone can tolerate the smell of smoke. it isn't just a matter of opinion for some people, it is a matter of being able to breathe, you know to stay alive.